Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

1 is a good question. Either they're just the latest five or they have the biggest parts of the DS1 Lord Souls? I understand Aldrich as a candidate more than the others since he has a habit of eating gods, and I guess Ludleth and Prince Lothric from the plot... I guess Yhorm because of whatever he did to gently caress up the first time, so he probably still has a pretty intact/powerful soul? Someone else can try Abyss Watchers, no idea there.

2. I think this cycle is definitely special - I think it's the closest the flame has come to ever going out, and it also seems that the cycles are getting shorter and shorter - 1000 years passed between Gwyn going into the Kiln and the time of DS1, whereas the last few Lords of Cinder have definitely been closer together than that. Also my interpretation of the Link the Fire ending is that it doesn't work - compare the kind of wimpy fire effect, your character's rather baffled reaction, the muted zoom away and the way your attention is drawn to the Darksign sun still being very present. You've maybe given the fire a spark of life, but it's not enough - just embers brought into being by an accursed undead that we've known all along was unfit to be cinder.

3. My impression is that they're former seekers of the First Flame, candidates who tried to Link the Fire and failed.

Orv posted:

They're the ones that are left of these converging lands. The others have presumably been killed in the eons since, as more and more champions slaughter more and more Lords of Cinder. They were the ones that did it the last few times, they hold the power and that's why it's all going wrong, they won't give it up, they're afraid.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I think you need these specific lords of cinder because they represent the previous important souls of lords from the other games.

Cool. I'm on board with all those explanations.

I've seen people complain about the story in this one but outside of my own missing of a couple details (which you've all helpfully explained) I kind of feel like more actually happens this time around than in DS1 and 2. DS1, especially, is more about the history than the present, where in DS3 it feels very much focused on what's going on here and now. It's cool and I like it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Sorry if this has already been posted, this thread is too fast for me to keep up with at work (and I'm home I'm playing, natch).

I'm doing a low level (~50), low weapon upgrade (+5-6) Aldrich Faithful PvP dark build, and I need the Sunless talisman as early as possible. I know that the earliest Sirris shows up is after you meet Anri in Road of Sacrifice. If I try to kill them in Firelink and I die, will they be there still so I can try again, or do they leave? Same question for Yuria.

When you aggro an NPC in Firelink they stay there and stay aggressive until you kill them.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Taste the Rainbow! Okay, we needed a purple and a white, but still!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MooCowlian posted:

I was gonna reply to that post about how I'd loving love 40C, but actually probably what's happened is what happened to you.

I mean it was at 20c before installing ds3, after playing it a few times and loving with settings it's at 40 resting now, and with ds3 running it hits 75 (compared to 90 lmao).

I'm ultra paranoid about the cooling system because all my other machines have had that part fail at some point. Mostly I'm just pleased I sorted everything out and cleaned it. :v:

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Orv posted:

When you aggro an NPC in Firelink they stay there and stay aggressive until you kill them.

Awesome, thanks so much!

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

How do I get down to where the giant is in Irithyll Dungeon? I feel like I've explored this entire stupid place :(

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Spanish Manlove posted:

I think you need these specific lords of cinder because they represent the previous important souls of lords from the other games.

I don't agree with that, or rather, I think the implication of DS2 that we can bring into DS3 is that the Lord Souls are persistent forces in the world, but over years and years really stopped resembling their former selves in any significant form. The Consumed King is more analogous to Seathe and he isn't a Lord of Cinder; Yhorm doesn't have much in common with the Bed of Chaos or Albrecht with Nito. There's SOME similarities, but the thing is, it makes more sense that these Lords are simply vastly powerful beings, moreso than that, beings who have taken other people's souls.

The Princes were given souls as part of various experiments; Albrecht ate things constantly; Yhorm was a conquerer and got the souls of those he killed; the Abyss Watchers were basically a co-op covenant that Sunbro'd their way to becoming Cinder.

It's far more nuanced than the lazy way they did it in DS2.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Daynab posted:

How do I get down to where the giant is in Irithyll Dungeon? I feel like I've explored this entire stupid place :(

The zone after the Dungeon loops back around to his feet on a side path.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Dark Souls is one of my favorite games to ng+. I don't know my total time played, but probably 40-50 hours through my first play through. You spend all that time learning the game/areas/bosses and incrementally getting better in skill, then in ng+ it's magnified how much better you actually got when you can make it through the game again in just a few hours.

I don't know if it's a badge of honor or shame, but I beat Yhorm without the storm sword or whatever. I didn't know that the sword had multiple charges. Was a fun 20-30 minute long endurance fight :).

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Harrow posted:

I think what I'm curious about is why these Lords of Cinder? If I'm not mistaken, a Lord of Cinder is someone who has already linked the flame in a past cycle, right? And now we need some of them back in order to let an Unkindled link the flame again?

This doesn't answer the why, but in the opening cinematic, the chain of events is: The fire fades, when the link of fire is threatened, the bell tolls, the Lords of Cinder are supposed to come back and fix poo poo, but instead of doing poo poo about poo poo, they gently caress off out of there to do their own thing. Why? I don't even know, but is as interesting a question as any? Are they just lazy or are they purposely thumbing their nose at the world?

I think the Lords of Cinder are supposed to return to their thrones because it's their duty to ensure the fire stays linked. The fire faded, the bell of the firelink shrine rang and woke up the Lords of Cinder. They didn't do poo poo about poo poo and then their dereliction either caused or merely preceded the waking of the Unkindled, i.e. all the leftovers.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i wont fail some obscure questline if i kill the 2 dragons in lothric, right?

also i found the black knight great axe maybe 3 minutes after I threw all my twinkling on the Black knight sword. Regrets. even with no reinforcement the BKGA is a beast. i love the moveset.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Finster Dexter posted:

This doesn't answer the why, but in the opening cinematic, the chain of events is: The fire fades, when the link of fire is threatened, the bell tolls, the Lords of Cinder are supposed to come back and fix poo poo, but instead of doing poo poo about poo poo, they gently caress off out of there to do their own thing. Why? I don't even know, but is as interesting a question as any? Are they just lazy or are they purposely thumbing their nose at the world?

I think the Lords of Cinder are supposed to return to their thrones because it's their duty to ensure the fire stays linked. The fire faded, the bell of the firelink shrine rang and woke up the Lords of Cinder. They didn't do poo poo about poo poo and then their dereliction either caused or merely preceded the waking of the Unkindled, i.e. all the leftovers.

I love the idea that the Unkindled tried and failed to link the flame. We're playing as the rejects, and yet now the only ones who can help. I dunno, thematically I find that very fitting, and it's basically the only way they can start you on even more of a back foot than the previous games did.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tabletops posted:

i wont fail some obscure questline if i kill the 2 dragons in lothric, right?

Nah.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I don't agree with that, or rather, I think the implication of DS2 that we can bring into DS3 is that the Lord Souls are persistent forces in the world, but over years and years really stopped resembling their former selves in any significant form. The Consumed King is more analogous to Seathe and he isn't a Lord of Cinder; Yhorm doesn't have much in common with the Bed of Chaos or Albrecht with Nito. There's SOME similarities, but the thing is, it makes more sense that these Lords are simply vastly powerful beings, moreso than that, beings who have taken other people's souls.

The Princes were given souls as part of various experiments; Albrecht ate things constantly; Yhorm was a conquerer and got the souls of those he killed; the Abyss Watchers were basically a co-op covenant that Sunbro'd their way to becoming Cinder.

It's far more nuanced than the lazy way they did it in DS2.

In DS2 it taught you that over time the old souls creep back into existence, but in theme. Aldridtch straight up uses nito's weapon.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Finster Dexter posted:

The existence of Undead has always been related to the fading of the flame. Dark Souls 2 basically posits that the curse of Undeath is to become an undying vessel to fuel the First Flame. You have to be undying to burn long enough to be worthwhile, and only an Undead can gather souls as you do, in such quantities. There's no huge hurry, so constantly dying and returning and getting stronger and stronger is just how the process works. Once an undead is strong enough, they can burn as fuel for the First Flame; however, even a powerful Lord of Cinder will only burn so long...

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Specific to the question of "why these lords?" who's to say that during this cycle there are a bunch of other parallel convergences, and DS3 is featuring just one "universe" of these possibilities? For all we know, there's another unkindled in some Drangleic/Latria mashup, right?

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Orv posted:

The zone after the Dungeon loops back around to his feet on a side path.

Oh that's what i was wondering. Thanks.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Harrow posted:

What I'm not sure I understand yet about the story:

1. What makes these Lords of Cinder special? Why do they need to return to their thrones? Is it because the others already have and/or they're amalgamated into the Soul of Cinder so they're already there?

2. And what makes this cycle special? We never had to worry about previous Lords of Cinder before--though there was only one in DS1 and maybe DS2 just got straight retconned, I dunno. Or is this cycle special at all? I remember this being billed as the definitive end to the cycle of flame, but is that true if we pick the Link the First Flame ending again?

3. Is "Unkindled" different from "Undead?" Is there something special about being Unkindled compared to just being a normal undead?

1) In DkS 1, they established that there were a handful of Lord Souls. Those seem to be basically immortal, and necessary for a big fire linking. They're sort of like gods, except their possessor/host doesn't keep the lord soul forever. In DkS 2, in NG+, the same bunch of Lord Souls were still around, under new ownership. (Gwyn's lordsoul -> Old Iron King, Izalith Witch -> Sinner, Nito -> Rotten) The 'lords of cinder' are whoever's last absorbed those. Later owners probably leave an imprint or something.

It also seems like the Abyss Watchers successfully claimed and held on to the Four Kings' fragmenty lord soul, which is loving metal.

2) I'm pretty sure in Dks1, you had to fill up the Lordvessel with the current 'lords of cinder.'

3) I think they're the same thing. 'Unkindled' ones are empty beings without souls of their own, which is curse-like, but also gives them the ability to suck up and use other souls. This is also XX many years later, and social opinion of unkindled has shifted, and the nature of their soul-eating has probably gotten more widely understood.

'The Abyss' also seems to have made more headway into the world since last time, based on those many hollow enemies who spontaneously erupt into black sludge monstrosities. Since the Abyss is actually the source of humanity in this hosed mythology, a stronger, more prevalent, 'closer' Abyss could explain why unkindled ones don't go hollow as easily as before.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 19, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011

f#a# posted:

Specific to the question of "why these lords?" who's to say that during this cycle there are a bunch of other parallel convergences, and DS3 is featuring just one "universe" of these possibilities? For all we know, there's another unkindled in some Drangleic/Latria mashup, right?

That's my assumption. This is just one First Flame, one cycle, one war between Light and Dark. It has a thousand forms in a thousand universes.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Orv posted:

From has never shied away from declaring one ending de facto regardless of player choice or community preference/interpretation, so it's entirely possible that that's the case.

Sure, but it makes for interesting DLC fodder if you fought, say, a DS2 protag+Aldia tag team or something.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Obligatum VII posted:

Sure, but it makes for interesting DLC fodder if you fought, say, a DS2 protag+Aldia tag team or something.

Except Aldia was an even worse fight than Nadia, and I don't see how they could top the Soul as a player-like boss. Thematically though, it'd be neat.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Spanish Manlove posted:

In DS2 it taught you that over time the old souls creep back into existence, but in theme. Aldridtch straight up uses nito's weapon.

Well, in Albrecht's world, maybe he's the one who killed Nito.

Come to think of it, if the Lords of Cinder are all basically player characters from ages past, maybe in their own worlds, they all did the same things you did in Dark Souls 1, and so it wasn't you who beat those guys in their case, they all did too, because the flow of time is convoluted and...and...

...no that's stupid.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The lords have pretty established histories in the lore, so that's probably not the case.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Orv
May 4, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Well, in Albrecht's world, maybe he's the one who killed Nito.

Come to think of it, if the Lords of Cinder are all basically player characters from ages past, maybe in their own worlds, they all did the same things you did in Dark Souls 1, and so it wasn't you who beat those guys in their case, they all did too, because the flow of time is convoluted and...and...

...no that's stupid.

There is such a thing as overthinking it. :v:

I don't think the implication is that the Lords are player characters, I think every time there's a Souls game we're just ride-along for an important cycle, rather than every boss being a successful or failed PC.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

The lords have pretty established histories in the lore, so that's probably not the case.

I definitely do think that they have all at least once linked the flame in the past, so presumably they are all like Vendrick; they conquered the land, got the souls, learned the truth, kindled the flame, and were turned to ash.

Maybe the bell rang and roused them once and they did it again. And maybe they did it again.

How many times until they got sick of it? Until they needed more souls? You have to wonder...it's a horrible fate indeed, to spend an eternity reincarnating as a video game boss.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I accept the canon of me becoming a giant skeleton in death, but I also accept there being an entire land of skeletons that for a time engaged in peaceful trade with neighboring nations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Maybe the bell rang and roused them once and they did it again. And maybe they did it again.

How many times until they got sick of it? Until they needed more souls? You have to wonder...it's a horrible fate indeed, to spend an eternity reincarnating as a video game boss.

I didn't record/note when it happened, but I remember some of the dialogue from Ludleth implying that even the idea of an Ashen One hunting the lords back to their throne isn't really new. I'm not 100% sure of that, but it would hammer home just how hosed up the world is by the time of Dark Souls III.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Chaos Dark Sword +6, where have you been all my life?

Orv
May 4, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

I accept the canon of me becoming a giant skeleton in death, but I also accept there being an entire land of skeletons that for a time engaged in peaceful trade with neighboring nations.

I'm 100% cool with this headcanon.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You don't have to link the flame to become a lord of cinder (or really even be involved with the goings-on relating to that spiel at all), look to Prince Lothric for a prime and pretty important example. The guy intentionally completely distanced himself from anything to do with it and it still happened anyway.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The impression I got is that the Unkindled are the same as the Undead from previous games, it's just that the Undeads' souls have become so exhausted from the gradual degradation of the world that most of them are no longer fit to burn. So they were given a new name and a new purpose, to gather up the Lords of Cinder, who are the only entities left to provide adequate fuel for the First Flame.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

You don't have to link the flame to become a lord of cinder, look to Prince Lothric for a prime and pretty important example.

True, I think "Lord of Cinder" is kind of an insulting or empty title that could apply to any being sufficiently powerful enough to link the flame. Except, now, they really aren't. Piling on fuel seems to not be helping. There's no peace except to finally just let it all die.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

I want this to be true so badly. "Ah, it's Mr. Bones, that trader from Carthus. Hi, Mr. Bones! What have you for us today?"

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Some of it does seem a bit murky. Apparently "the lords go without thrones" is a matter of prophecy - how'd everybody know they'd shirk their duties all at the same time? The pilgrims who generally die at the gates of Lothric learn the truth of those words? How's that?

Prince Lothric is rejecting the role of lord, to me that suggests that linking the fire (the thing he's refusing to take part in) is part of the lord of cinder role

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I managed to find a pyromancy tome that the pyro guy at Firelink won't use, so where do I find the next Pyro guy? I just finished the Catacombs, have I missed him yet?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Orv posted:

Except Aldia was an even worse fight than Nadia, and I don't see how they could top the Soul as a player-like boss. Thematically though, it'd be neat.

Have the boss be a giantdad who keeps running into empty arenas (empty except for you) chugging estus to heal up and summoning Solaire and WeedLord69 to help him out. :v:

quote:

I'm 100% cool with this headcanon.

"The king will now see the emissary from the land of skeletons, the endlessly exploding skeleton skull from the Lordran Catacombs"

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

I managed to find a pyromancy tome that the pyro guy at Firelink won't use, so where do I find the next Pyro guy? I just finished the Catacombs, have I missed him yet?

The second pyromancy trainer is in Irithyll Dungeon I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Harrow posted:

I want this to be true so badly. "Ah, it's Mr. Bones, that trader from Carthus. Hi, Mr. Bones! What have you for us today?"

Mr. Bones and his colorful doublet and jaunty chapéu, rattling down the street with his wagon full of bone-based arts and crafts. Scrimshaw, biggest export of Carthus.