Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Simply Simon posted:

I've read that often, and I gotta ask: is it really strange to many of you to eat a whole pizza? Pretty much everyone I know does that, and I don't actually know any fat people including myself, if the question comes up. I'm German if it helps, so maybe our pizzas are inherently smaller or more digestible or whatever, but I can't imagine that. I very often come home, am too lazy to prepare my Butterbrot of choice, so I pop in a pizza, play video games while it gets baked and destroy it completely. Nowadays I tend to share one with my girlfriend, but then usually with salad as a side or I add another bread in an hour.

I'm taking freezer pizza (so ~30 cm diameter?), not Italian restaurant pizza (those can get enormous and while I have eaten whole ones in a single sitting, that didn't feel good most of the time).

Well it's not like it's a difficult feat or anything, it's just shameful.

Oh, and taquitos are another lovely frozen food that I love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Wanamingo posted:

but whyyyyyyy

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Simply Simon posted:

but whyyyyyyy

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Simply Simon posted:

I've read that often, and I gotta ask: is it really strange to many of you to eat a whole pizza? Pretty much everyone I know does that, and I don't actually know any fat people including myself, if the question comes up. I'm German if it helps, so maybe our pizzas are inherently smaller or more digestible or whatever, but I can't imagine that. I very often come home, am too lazy to prepare my Butterbrot of choice, so I pop in a pizza, play video games while it gets baked and destroy it completely. Nowadays I tend to share one with my girlfriend, but then usually with salad as a side or I add another bread in an hour.

I'm taking freezer pizza (so ~30 cm diameter?), not Italian restaurant pizza (those can get enormous and while I have eaten whole ones in a single sitting, that didn't feel good most of the time).

There are no info about the Hawaian one so I just checked with an original one;

http://www.foodfacts.com/ci/nutritionfacts/prepared-frozen-meals/digiorno-original-rising-crust-supreme-pizza-315-oz/195003

it's roughly 850gr and 2000Kcal

A frozen Dr Oekter Hawaii Pizza is 350gr and 770Kcal

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

There are no info about the Hawaian one so I just checked with an original one;

http://www.foodfacts.com/ci/nutritionfacts/prepared-frozen-meals/digiorno-original-rising-crust-supreme-pizza-315-oz/195003

it's roughly 850gr and 2000Kcal

A frozen Dr Oekter Hawaii Pizza is 350gr and 770Kcal
Oh

I guess that puts it in numbers quite nicely and explains a lot.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Simply Simon posted:

Oh

Each time I go to a restaurant in the US I can never finish my plates. But then I see everyone with doggy bags so I guess it's normal to receive enough food for two meals.

But yeah, American serving sizes are enormous. and that's coming from a Belgian who has no problem stuffing his mouth with tons of fries and beer.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

bringmyfishback posted:

KILL YOUR STUPID SELF

No way, it's:

1. vegan challah

2. refried beans mixed with pickle chips

3. butter lettuce

4. grilled butter lettuce

5. currywurst

6. snails

:byodame:

I just saw this, and I must say, if I knew where to get half this poo poo, I would definitely trip report a bringmyfishback dog.

Simply Simon posted:

I usually can, except the pizza is usually small, thin and I'm extremely depressed at the time.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not frozen, but my mom used to buy these things for me and my friends from costco all the time and we'd eat them right after we'd get home from highschool. They were surprisingly delicious but loving terrible for you

There is no pride in microwaving an entire, already prepared cheeseburger and shoving it into your face

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Trip Report: The ”Cash Crab”

I said I was going to eat a hot dog with a bunch of garbage on it, and here we go.

In keeping with standard trash panda rules, I only bought the cheapest ingredients. The sauerkraut was made by a friend of mine.

I’m sorry, FAI, I couldn’t find Hawaiian rolls, and I wasn’t going to bake them myself. I drank pineapple juice and used milk-based buns, so it should be okay.

Here are all the ingredients. I'm sure you can make them out. Don’t worry, I didn’t make six, that’d be disgusting. I made two.

And here they are again, being carefully washed. Again, trash panda rules.

Frying the bacon.

Frying the dogs.

Here’s the basic setup. I had to use a plate, because the dogs were too big for the buns. There's a sex joke in there somewhere, see if you can find it.

Dog assembly. I did put additional sauerkraut on top, I just forgot to take a photo.

First forkful, with every ingredient.

Going into goon mouth.

Reaction shot

Seriously, peeps, this was great. It looks like a pile of crap, but tasted awesome. 5/5, will make again. The pineapple juice worked really well with the jalapenos, too, since it cooled down the relative heat of the peppers.

Alright, you have inspired me to cook something for this thread. I figured I would dig up one of the weird 17th century Dutch recipes I have in my various historical tomes. After looking through several cookbooks I have decided on the recipe Capon stuffed with Oysters. I have already bought the chicken and the oysters and have invited over a dinner guest for tomorrow, and I will make him taste test this thing too. Trip report to follow.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I packed away a lot of Stouffer's lasagna and paninis but somehow that isn't the shameful part. To keep making GBS threads straight after all that frozen cheese, I was also buying those individual packs of microwave steamed vegetables which stick out as shameful because it was 50 cents of vegetables and cheap olive oil sold for $3.50 each.

Opposite side of the spectrum, Mrs. T's pierogis are close enough to the real thing that I was going to complain about not being able to find them in the south but a quick googling just lead me to find out they are actually in the last place I'd ever look.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

twoday posted:

Alright, you have inspired me to cook something for this thread. I figured I would dig up one of the weird 17th century Dutch recipes I have in my various historical tomes. After looking through several cookbooks I have decided on the recipe Capon stuffed with Oysters. I have already bought the chicken and the oysters and have invited over a dinner guest for tomorrow, and I will make him taste test this thing too. Trip report to follow.

That sounds great! Just make sure to take terrible photos in the spirit of the thread.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
I'm sure you've all seen this classic recipe card:

One of the food review channels I watch decided to try it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehkk9bxGRzo

They do a lot of other AFP-worthy cooking experiments; I particularly like ROFLWaffle and Will It Sausage?.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Carbon Thief posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehkk9bxGRzo

They do a lot of other AFP-worthy cooking experiments; I particularly like ROFLWaffle and Will It Sausage?.

Oh god why would you do that to yourself?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Wanamingo posted:

Oh, and taquitos are another lovely frozen food that I love

Where was this picture when I was in college?

Seriously, one day I'm gonna give up on caring and make this

EDIT: By the way, this is the best frozen pizza on earth

The Glumslinger has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Apr 19, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Each time I go to a restaurant in the US I can never finish my plates. But then I see everyone with doggy bags so I guess it's normal to receive enough food for two meals.

But yeah, American serving sizes are enormous. and that's coming from a Belgian who has no problem stuffing his mouth with tons of fries and beer.

Yeah, it's expected that people without big appetites in many restaurants will walk out with leftovers. You can reliably expect an entree with side(s) in most chain and franchise restaurants like Applebee's or Chili's to clock in at 700 or 800+ calories, with appetizers, drinks, and dessert taking up more.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Someone needs to tell that raw gluten free vegan nutter that tomato paste is made with cooked tomatoes.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The only moral cooked tomatoes are my cooked tomatoes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When they say "clean", do they mean that kids eating that won't make a mess? Because they've got mango on that list, so I would dispute that.

cyberia posted:

code:
A friend’s school lunch had a rock in the peas, just to make sure we get all our minerals.
If those are peas, why are they brown?

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Also, time for some gluten-free vegan, courtesy of "A Gluten-Free Vegan Mom Who Knows: A raw, grain-free, corn-free, soy-free, oil-free, celiac mama raising her two healthy celiac girls."

quote:

1 Large Ripe Tomato (roughly chopped)
1/2 Cup Raw Cashews
1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
1/4 Cup filtered water
1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Cracked Pepper
1 Large Handful of Fresh Basil
Sounds fine? I mean, you could use tap water and table salt and notice no difference, and it would probably be nicer heated if not cooked, but otherwise... :shrug:

deadly_pudding posted:

What's your favorite lovely frozen food?
Well, if it has to be lovely frozen food, fish fingers. Put 'em in a sandwich with butter and mayonnaise. Delicious.

But the frozen foods I most often buy as a treat are party pies, chicken nuggets, or mini kievs. But those are all good, so they don't count.

chitoryu12 posted:

For lovely frozen food, I'm fond of the Boston Market Salisbury steak and mac & cheese.

That is an... interesting combination of foods.

Simply Simon posted:

I've read that often, and I gotta ask: is it really strange to many of you to eat a whole pizza?
I've often wondered this myself. To me, an 11" pizza is a reasonable dinner for one. I usually order a 13" pizza and that leaves a couple of slices for brunch the next day, but it wouldn't be some crazy feat to finish one off by yourself, especially if you ate it over the course of a few hours.

chitoryu12 posted:

You can reliably expect an entree with side(s) in most chain and franchise restaurants like Applebee's or Chili's to clock in at 700 or 800+ calories, with appetizers, drinks, and dessert taking up more.
In case anyone is confused, in America, "entree" means "main course". :eng101:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

There's nothing wrong with that. If you can't/don't finish your food, take it with you or don't if you wanna have leftovers. I went to a Dave & Busters two days ago and the burger was a lot bigger- and tastier- than I expected it to be. [And I'm only saying that because my tongue hates flavor and good things so it had no cheese, lettuce, tomato, etc.] Still finished it though.

Simply Simon posted:

Oh

Also no one really feels good about eating all of something that's supposed to serve multiple people. Like if you eat your way through an entire box of cereal in one sitting.

deadly_pudding posted:

What's your favorite lovely frozen food? I'm really partial to those beer-battered fish "fillets" from Gorton's

Those frozen egg cheese and sausage croissant sandwiches.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 19:20 on Apr 19, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Honestly, when I go to a restaurant here in Germany, a lot of the time the portions are gigantic too. Indian places in particular love to stuff you. Kinda sad, really, I can't have the delicious starters that way! One Vietnamese place I went to last week offered all its meals as a starter or a main course, which I thought was really smart (and then I ordered a starter and a main course, which was not).

But yeah when I went to the US, I was so determined to not let the silly cliches colour the esperience but the one about huge portions is absolutely true. And when you're staying in a hotel it's not so easy with the taking leftovers bit. I think I ended up eating once a day.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I've never been to the US but England's portions scared the poo poo out of me. I watched some guy wolf down a full English breakfast, then fish and chips. This was incidentally the same restaurant where I saw a guy die right outside.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh man that reminds me I'm going to Scotland in a month. I'm sure there's a trip report in that, if I survive to post it.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

uranium grass has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Apr 19, 2016

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

holy poo poo, they blurred out the Wal-Mart logo.

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

Black-eyed peas.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
some of you are bored of trip reports, so there's a surprise for you at the end if you make it all the way through this one, ya negative nancies

TRIP REPORT: The Wendy's JALAPEÑO FRESCO SPICY CHICKEN SANDWICH

Here's how the description on the official corporate website reads:

Dave Thomas's Ghost posted:

We're kicking up the heat with 5 layers of spice on our new Jalapeño Fresco Spicy Chicken sandwich. It's our classic spicy chicken breast topped with fresh, diced jalapeños, ghost pepper sauce, Colby pepper jack cheese all on a red jalapeno bun. It's too hot to last, so try one today!

Okay, I'm a huge fan of spicy stuff. Love it. So, naturally, I was excited to see the sign at the Wendy's up the street change from "ALL DRINK'S 1$" to "JALAPENO FЯESCO CHICKEN SANDWICH GHOST PEPPER FRIES." I was also excited that they'd managed to pluralize "fries" correctly, and to be honest, I found the backwards R kind of endearing.

Five layers of spice? Goodness, that sounds like a lot of spice. Jalapeños are delicious, and I've admittedly never tried a ghost pepper, but they're supposed to be legendary for their spiciness. I honestly didn't know what to expect from the Ghost Pepper Fries--I was thinking maybe they had some kind of pepper-infused breading on them?

The "red" in "Red Jalapeño Bun" must refer to a red variety of red jalapeños baked into it. I was kind of sad that it wasn't as brilliantly fire truck red as the Angriest Whopper from the trip report earlier. But then I noticed that hey, they'd been generous with the jalapeños on the fries, so all was well...

...until I took a bite. I know my task here is to evaluate the sandwich on its merits as a recipe rather than as an individual sandwich, but the chicken was really friggin' dry and stringy and had big chunks of gristle throughout, so my opinion might be colored a bit by my bad chicken experience.

Let's start with the Ghost Pepper Sauce. It's a strange, way-too-orange goo that gets all over everything and stains instantly. I tried as carefully as I could to pick the thing up without getting it all over the place and the sandwich just laughed at me, dripping sauce all over the place. It doesn't taste like much of anything, and certainly not anything resembling a hot pepper. Imagine orange, watered-down mayo.

I think there was colby jack on it, but I didn't taste any cheese at all. Perhaps it was ghost cheese in the same way that the peppers in the sauce were ghost.

The bun was...okay. Tasted like a hamburger bun. Not much more to say about it other than I guess it did a good job holding together the chicken, ghost cheese, gallon of ghost pepper sauce, literally every friggin' red onion they had in the building (it doesn't look like it in the photos but that thing was onion city) and jalapeño bits.

Oh, speaking of the jalapeño bits, I'm pretty sure someone screwed up and sent this store green pepper bits by mistake. Those things did not taste like jalapeño. They tasted exactly like green bell pepper, so unless there's a jalapeño variant out there designed to taste like a bell pepper, they weren't jalapeños.

The fries, as you can see, were normal fries with Ghost Pepper Sauce and "jalapeño" bits on them. Not horrible, but after the sandwich, I was ready to bail on them.

All in all, this was a bad deal. Wasn't a fan of the sandwich, and the fries left a lot to be desired, too. I guess it might appeal to you if you're super into chicken sandwiches drenched in mild mayo with undetectable cheese, onion, and green pepper on them. I give it one disappointed hot pepper out of five. It wasn't spicy at all, and it was only barely a chicken sandwich.

BONUS FOR THE NEGATIVE NANCIES

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cash crab posted:

I've never been to the US but England's portions scared the poo poo out of me. I watched some guy wolf down a full English breakfast, then fish and chips. This was incidentally the same restaurant where I saw a guy die right outside.

Same guy?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I had those "ghost pepper" fries once. They weren't really spicy at all and the sauce just ruined decent fries by making them soggy and harder to eat.

It's sad because normally Wendy's is one of the better fast food options.

I'm glad this exists now.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Thanks, FAI. :allears: I love trip reports, and I like your little pepper rating system.

Different guy, several weeks later. I just remember walking around with my dad and thud, some dude keels over in front of Posh Fish.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
My guilty pleasure frozen food has to be those Asian food cubes which is just this cardboard box you throw into a microwave, then you open it up to find actually passable rice or noodles and a separate sauce with actual flavor in it. drat things are probably full of cancer though.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I buy these cheap hot pocket type things from the halal market, with a delightful cartoon genie on the box. Despite proudly proclaiming to be vegetarian and healthy, they're somehow greasier than the actual thing, and are so, so good.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Hra Mormo posted:

My guilty pleasure frozen food has to be those Asian food cubes which is just this cardboard box you throw into a microwave, then you open it up to find actually passable rice or noodles and a separate sauce with actual flavor in it. drat things are probably full of cancer though.

If this is the one I'm thinking of, it's the lowest effort food you can possibly make. You don't even remove the plastic wrap on the outside before throwing it in the microwave.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

If this is the one I'm thinking of, it's the lowest effort food you can possibly make. You don't even remove the plastic wrap on the outside before throwing it in the microwave.

No, you have to remove the plastic wrap, or at least the instructions tell you to and it's the kind that'll probably melt horribly if you don't so I'm not about to stick it to the man on that one to save half a second.

But yes it is absolutely the lowest effort food I've ever had and the fact I found it edible just blew my mind.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Trader Joe's also has some good frozen food. I'm fond of the chana masala and kati pouches from their Indian line.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

BONUS FOR THE NEGATIVE NANCIES

Ramen, brother.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

cash crab posted:

It's pretty much accepted that breakfast in a hotel in the UK is an All-You-Can-Eat affair in a way we wouldn't dream of doing outside a hotel. You can pretty much do fruit bowl > cereal > full breakfast > toast > pastries. Nick some ham/cheese and bread rolls and you've got a five course meal. All washed down with a pot of tea, a pot of coffee and half a dozen fruit juices of course.

See also: pubs which are busy late in the morning (typically before a big local football match) and have to sell "food" before you're allowed to buy alcohol. This "food" will be a bacon roll costing about £2. Nobody actually eats the food obviously. In some pubs they don't even bother serving the food, you just have to "buy" it so you can circumvent the law!

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Mmm, vintage.

uranium grass has a new favorite as of 00:38 on Apr 20, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hra Mormo posted:

Asian food cubes are pretty good, but they are pretty much bricks of rice and MSG and starch so of course they are good. I'm pretty sure you could make something similar with rice, your favorite MSG sauce, and dollar store meats and freeze for later consumption/posting to this thread

ArgonHarvester
Sep 6, 2010

I did something similar to this on a dare in high school, except it was Sprite and chocolate milk. Tasted interesting (in a good way) for the first cup or so, then absolutely vile afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Catnipped posted:

Tiggum posted:

Black-eyed peas.

I think it's canned peas, which are depressingly grey-green, and also really nasty, mixed with bad lighting. :smith: