Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'll preach pro-Kakyoin agenda till the day my lungs collapse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The Karera incosistencies really, really bother me. Like, I know Araki forgets stuff all the time but usually it's stuff like miscellaneous stand powers (like Whitesnake's goo or Gold Experience's reflect bullshit) or little details like whether or not Rohan was shot with the arrow. The stuff with Karera is a major plot point though and it hasn't even been long since it happened.

Maybe we wait a few more chapters before we decide that something was Araki Forgets and not intentional

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's still flashback man from chapter 2 or 3 or so too.

The flashback shows Josuke looking at the man in the flashback, rather than Kira/Josefumi. That could go any direction, including Josuke being reburied or whatever.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think it's very possible that karera is kind of embellishing what relationship she might have had with kira and josefumi. it's why when gappy kind of made a blind call and said 'you know we don't have that kind of relationship' she immediately sort of changed and didn't really argue it, because at that point she just thinks that it's josefumi being josefumi. can't really blame her for trying since she hadn't seen him since the boat incident. the photo still needs an explanation, i guess, but i don't think we can entirely count it out yet?

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
I can't wait until I actually get to Jojolion and get even the smallest bit of context. I'm the kind of person who doesn't care about spoilers for anything, and it seems like there is like 24 different characters and they all have 3 different names and some of their names are the same and they are all friends and also rivals as well as family who are all reworked reincarnations from the original universe. It's always super fun for me to read because every line feels like outofcontextjojo.

On a more real note I'm coming up on the end of Part 6, you all talk about how much ridiculousness there is and I can't wait. I'm either in the middle or near the end of the Sky High fight, and there's only a couple hundred pages to go, I feel like that isn't a whole lot of space and I feel like I'm about to get hit by a freight train of crazy.

I also really liked the Dragon's Dream fight. I generally have strange opinions, this is my Jojo story.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Aquasnake posted:

I'm the kind of person who doesn't care about spoilers for anything, and it seems like there is like 24 different characters and they all have 3 different names and some of their names are the same and they are all friends and also rivals as well as family who are all reworked reincarnations from the original universe.

That's all just the main character still.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think it's very possible that karera is kind of embellishing what relationship she might have had with kira and josefumi. it's why when gappy kind of made a blind call and said 'you know we don't have that kind of relationship' she immediately sort of changed and didn't really argue it, because at that point she just thinks that it's josefumi being josefumi. can't really blame her for trying since she hadn't seen him since the boat incident. the photo still needs an explanation, i guess, but i don't think we can entirely count it out yet?

She calls out Sec-chan during the boat scenes and iirc Kira's like 'Don't you know her?'. Given that and how absolutely desperate Karera's entire situation and personality it is I'm pretty sure she hung out with with the Good Boys once in the time between them stealing the branch and the boat fight and took that photo and just really exaggerated her friendship status with them cause boy does she seem lonely.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The problem is Josefumi is only just getting a good look at her as he moors the boat. Kira comes across as the more informed about Karera than Josefumi to me.

http://exec-phantasmagoria.tumblr.com/post/141834797021/points-3-and-4-of-the-conclusion-are-key-imo

I guess this fucks any chance of getting an explanation of the phone trick too. :lol:

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Amaryllis posted:

Same.

Also, I was thinking: there's no space in the timeline for that photo, but it's possible that they took the branch to Kira's apartment before settling on planting it out on the rocks, right? Karera said that Kira had a tree at his home, but she could've just watched the guys hide it there temporarily after they stole it. The stuff with Karera happened so recently that it'd be weird for it to end up as another Araki Forgot thing.

About the competing translations: I read the HWMN version first and I appreciate the high quality and the consistent releases, but I have to say I kind of like some of the phrasing better in the /a/ one. Like, "That is my image of happiness" (HWMN) vs. "That must be what happiness looks like" (anonymous). They're both communicating the same idea, and if I had to guess I'd say that HWMN's is probably closer to the literal meaning, but the other one sounds closer to what an actual human being would say. It'd be cool if people could somehow collaborate/contribute suggestions or something instead of scrambling to push scans out ASAP.

Sorry I'm late to this, but yes, Zaggitz: the French edition of Vento Aureo is really good and also cheap, so if French is your first language you have no excuse for not buying it (and imo anyone with high school level French should be able to parse it). I bought the whole set on amazon.fr last year because I was tired of waiting for quality scans, and the price was super reasonable including shipping to Canada. I'm sure there are even cheaper options (it looks like the price on some volumes has gone up since then) but that was the easiest way to import it. By the way, for French speakers, the Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe collection came out over there last week-ish! I've been thinking of getting that too to add to my growing pile of Rohan merchandise, but I'm still holding out for an English release of DiU proper. Still hoping that Viz will announce something about it while the part 4 anime hype is still high.

Inconsistencies
You're right about about the possibility of the tree just being temporarily at Kira's. I think the photo is just going to have to stay unsolved. I start to wonder if maybe there's a lot more to Karera after all but maybe not; it definitely feels odd that something that happened so recently (at least, comparatively) might be lost entirely but I have no idea at this point. I had honestly felt pretty sure that the big bad would show up here and that they would be at least partially involved in the merging; obviously, there's still a chance that this could happen, but I think it's less likely which makes Gappy's early recollection moot. It's really interesting though.

I'm actually sort of glad it's working out this way because I like the idea that there are ramifications for having tampered with the fruit; grafting it wasn't just as simple as you'd think. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this starts to fold together next time.

I'm going to look for the french Thus Spoke translations, I think I'll try and track that down at least.

I originally typed a ton of words about Kewl's translations here but eh I'm just not gonna do that, no one cares. I do want to talk about crunchyroll vs fan subs for Okuyasu last week at some point but am really, really sleep deprived today so I doubt I'd be able to make a cogent point.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i definitely had a feeling that there was going to be some connection between the fruit, that weird spot with the tree and gappy in general, so it's nice that it was all wrapped up in a neat way with this most recent chapter in a way that makes sense.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

CJ posted:

After watching this week's anime episode, how does Keicho get into Angelo's cell? You'd think Araki would give him a stand that lets him fit through bars or open holes in walls or something.

his stand is tiny little men, how do you think he snuck in? could've jacked a key from a guard, could have had the little men crawl into the lock and gently caress with it till it's open, etc.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You wouldn't need a key with a stand anyway, just use its hand to push the tumblers up and twist. You'd be the ultimate lockpicker. A master of...

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Bad Seafood posted:

Magician's Red was so broken it's all but patently obvious Araki "Killed" Avdol to avoid having to write fights around him.

I wouldn't mind a remixed Part 3 where Magician's Red was a little less powerful just so we could have more Avdol.

magicians red is so broken it would prove extremely dangerous to even dio

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I start to wonder if maybe there's a lot more to Karera after all but maybe not; it definitely feels odd that something that happened so recently (at least, comparatively) might be lost entirely but I have no idea at this point. I had honestly felt pretty sure that the big bad would show up here and that they would be at least partially involved in the merging; obviously, there's still a chance that this could happen, but I think it's less likely which makes Gappy's early recollection moot. It's really interesting though.
I do still think there's more to her than what we've seen. I mean, this is the last time we see her in the present storyline. Also, there's still time for the big bad (maybe the mysterious guy that Gappy remembers from way back when?) to show up in a sort of epilogue to the flashback. Maybe he struts in to stare at Gappy before leaving him for dead half-buried in the mud or something? I still want to believe that Araki will pull everything together, especially because SBR was a big step up writing-wise for the series, and while some characters/ideas didn't get explored in ways I ways I was hoping they'd be, he didn't leave a lot of dangling threads that I can recall.

Anyway, looking back, it's kind of nuts that I was so moved by this chapter, in which two dudes whom we knew for just a handful of chapters and whom we knew were going to die end up dying. JJL was always good but I think it's finally edged out SBR as my second-favourite part.

P.S. About ten minutes after posting about the Rohan spinoff I tacked it onto a book order I was planning to make anyway. To be honest, I'm more excited about it than I have been about collecting the Part 2 hardcovers, which at this point I feel like I'm just doing because I want to see other, better Jojo parts in English.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can't really be arsed to read through my Battle Tendency volumes. So much JoJo going on and so much better to re-experience.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I can't really be arsed to read through my Battle Tendency volumes. So much JoJo going on and so much better to re-experience.
Between this and your opinions about Kak and, in the other thread(?), NieR: Automata, I feel like I'm constantly nodding my head in agreement with you, a confirmed DIO apologist, and I'm not sure what to do with this information

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My JoJopinions are gureito.

I need to take a new squad photo of my SAS figures soon.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

this is my collection of GREAT things pt.1

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm redecorating my room right now, and have a bunch of shelves with so far nothing on them right now.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to get some JoJo's figures to put on it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A close up of Gappy's crotch may help your decision.

(really nice detail work on his belt buckle)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

As rad as that is, WOAH not at that price.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Josuke 8's actually one of the most affordable at £33/$48 or so.

Don't look at the pink Killer Queen. If you never see it, you'll never want it or see his £90 price tag.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Disappointed in the lack of Pt7 figures, although there's apparently a Gyro coming at some point this year.

SORELY tempted by Rohan, though, especially since he comes with Heaven's Door.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gyro is meant to be coming yeah but no real news so far.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Gappy and S+W are awesome and I still want those SASes. All of the Rohan figures are great but this one is my favourite because it has the best scowl:

These are my prized ones though (best jojobro):

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Not the finger I'd have expected Josuke to be holding up in that situation.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

The Sandman posted:

Not the finger I'd have expected Josuke to be holding up in that situation.
Yeah, I did my best. :(

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It still works.
Looks like he's tapping his chin somewhat and saying "Hit me then if you hate me so much" and looking for any excuse to put Pink Dark Boy on Hiatus again.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Condiv posted:

his stand is tiny little men, how do you think he snuck in? could've jacked a key from a guard, could have had the little men crawl into the lock and gently caress with it till it's open, etc.

He walks past the window then teleports inside. I guess you could say it's open to interpretation in the manga. Might just be another case of David Production taking the manga panels too literally as a storyboard rather than thinking about what it's conveying and adapting it into an animation, like the plant pots.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It still works.
Looks like he's tapping his chin somewhat and saying "Hit me then if you hate me so much" and looking for any excuse to put Pink Dark Boy on Hiatus again.
Part 4 could've used more chapters in which the two of them are forced to work together to solve a problem while constantly sassing and/or threatening each other. I'd never get tired of Rohan's inability to get along with anyone who's not Koichi. e: I guess he says he tolerates Jotaro, too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't know

I think Keicho being all hold up a second am just unlocking this door ah gently caress which key is poo poo one sec Angy mate ahh this loving bow and arrows getting in the loving way this is bollocks OK have unlocked it [creaaaaaaaaaaaaak] ah I've got you pashooom bullseye

Might have just ruined the dramatic tension

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's a flashback told from Angelo's perspective, I think a few details might've been skipped because they're not that important to his story.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect David to have come up with some cool solution--like, this is the studio that bothered to show where the rubber glove came from in the first Angelo episode, and I'm sure they could've come up with something to explain how Keicho got in there. At the same time, the Nijimura Brothers arc has a some horror-movie stuff going on (iirc Xibanya touched on that in the let's read thread), and I think the spooky shadow passing in front of the window and then bam! creepy guy in a high school uniform appearing before Angelo's eyes fits in with that.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

On the other hand, who cares.

EDIT: You might as well start asking why a swole high school student is wandering around prisons shooting people with a bow, and then the entire fabric of Jojo is undone.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Actually I'm thinking about it, Angelo didn't actually know how Keicho got in, so it kinda makes sense that there's no actual explanation in his flashback. Because his focus was on Keicho, he wouldn't have noticed anything Keicho would have done to get in either.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Amaryllis posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect David to have come up with some cool solution--like, this is the studio that bothered to show where the rubber glove came from in the first Angelo episode, and I'm sure they could've come up with something to explain how Keicho got in there. At the same time, the Nijimura Brothers arc has a some horror-movie stuff going on (iirc Xibanya touched on that in the let's read thread), and I think the spooky shadow passing in front of the window and then bam! creepy guy in a high school uniform appearing before Angelo's eyes fits in with that.

That story is told from Angelo's perspective, so it would make no sense for him to know that detail; Keicho was already in the cell by the time he was aware something was happening. Not that it's important; it's not at all implausible Keicho could get into a prison, and exactly how he would do it isn't relevant to the larger story.

Every story has little details like this that aren't filled in because filling them in would hurt the overall narrative, usually because it makes the pacing worse.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

I'm not seriously arguing that they had to show it; I just didn't want CJ to feel dogpiled again and also wanted to point out that the way it's handled in both manga and anime does a great job of creating a creepy atmosphere.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Amaryllis posted:

Gappy and S+W are awesome and I still want those SASes. All of the Rohan figures are great but this one is my favourite because it has the best scowl:

These are my prized ones though (best jojobro):

Look at that Rohan though! But yeah, the scowl is perfect. I'm so upset: I had a friend bring back the other version of that Rohan from Japan (the white one) and a leg popped off. The leg just never really stays on for more than two seconds. Bleh.

I have my Okuyasu/Hand posed to match the OP because that's the sort of nerd that I am.

e: gah I need the link to the other translation for JJL actually just to compare and contrast something because I *really* want to know if I'm reading too much into Gappy saying he wants to "move forward"

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
When I finish reading Part 6, do you guys think I should reread Part 4 to refresh for the anime, or just move on to Part 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Do both.