Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guess what I scored 10 copies of for $1.90 each?

BSSSS is on motherfuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ultragonk posted:

What do you like from the 90s?

Doom Patrol!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The Spider-Totem stuff I enjoyed. Even if you don't like it as a story, it's not even in the same league as stuff like Chapter One or Sins Past. Having said that, it was kind of messed up by The Other, which was just bad. I don't know if it would have been ok had it not been turned into a crossover, but who knows. The original story from ASM v2 #30-35 was pretty great.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

irlZaphod posted:

The Spider-Totem stuff I enjoyed. Even if you don't like it as a story, it's not even in the same league as stuff like Chapter One or Sins Past. Having said that, it was kind of messed up by The Other, which was just bad. I don't know if it would have been ok had it not been turned into a crossover, but who knows. The original story from ASM v2 #30-35 was pretty great.

I liked Morlun, who felt genuinely scary, and the old-guy mentor whose name I can't remember. (Zeke?) I thought it was a pretty cool thing, as long as it stayed away from granting/changing his super-powers.

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 19, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't even hate Sins Past. While absolutely no one needed to see Norman Osborn on top of Gwen Stacy, having Pete deal with what are more or less his kids from his long dead lover was kinda poignant. I just wish editorial had let JMS write the version where they actually are his kids and Norman just adopted them. But noooo, that'd age Peter, better make a terrible compromise. Hey wait, where have I heard that before?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

That still happens, you know. I just picked up Spider-Gwen on Wednesday and was uber confused at what was going on until I got to the end and noticed it was part two in a crossover with Silk and Spider-Woman.

It still happens, but it's nowhere near as egregious. If you're reading Spider-Gwen, it's not totally unreasonable to think you might be reading the other two or at least might be interested. Compare this to when X-Men crossed over with Ghost Rider.

Event tie-ins aren't really any better, but at least Marvel seems to be letting creators decide if they want to bother at all, rather than forcing the Doctor Strange comic to spend six issues tying into Infinity War.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Endless Mike posted:

Compare this to when X-Men crossed over with Ghost Rider.

Well, now I want to read that!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
IIRC, Rucka's Punisher run actually had a semi-egregious one with Spider-Man and Daredevil that was a three-part crossover between them, where the specific plot development that actually mattered to the larger Punisher narrative happened outside of The Punisher's issue, and was relegated to the recap page in the next issue.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

RandallODim posted:

IIRC, Rucka's Punisher run actually had a semi-egregious one with Spider-Man and Daredevil that was a three-part crossover between them, where the specific plot development that actually mattered to the larger Punisher narrative happened outside of The Punisher's issue, and was relegated to the recap page in the next issue.

Punisher dating again?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

Well, now I want to read that!
Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4

Sequel followup: Part 1, Part 2

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Finally, a good reason to get Marvel Unlimited.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

bobkatt013 posted:

Punisher dating again?

That was actually in the Punisher issue, I think. The thing that was missing, which was actually significant to the course of Rucka's run, was Cole-Alves stealing the whatever-it-was that had all the criminals' identities on it and ditching Frank along with DD and Spidey, which I've found actually ended the Punisher's issue, but still seems like a more significant event than you'd want to have spread across external issues.

Bottom line, crossovers are basically always bad in some way.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks, gunna read.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ultragonk posted:

Thanks, gunna read.

Should add to start from Vol.2 #19
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Doom_Patrol_Vol_2_19

Vertigo grew out of that, Animal Man, Swamp Thing and Sandman in the late 80's and there's a ton to mine there.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 19, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

RandallODim posted:

That was actually in the Punisher issue, I think. The thing that was missing, which was actually significant to the course of Rucka's run, was Cole-Alves stealing the whatever-it-was that had all the criminals' identities on it and ditching Frank along with DD and Spidey, which I've found actually ended the Punisher's issue, but still seems like a more significant event than you'd want to have spread across external issues.

Bottom line, crossovers are basically always bad in some way.

Yeah but that was also important to Daredevil as it had been the main driving focus of the series from the beginning.

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012
So how long before marvel get the ff movie rights back if sony don't make another movie.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Should add to start from Vol.2 #19
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Doom_Patrol_Vol_2_19

Vertigo grew out of that, Animal Man, Swamp Thing and Sandman in the late 80's and there's a ton to mine there.

You forgot Hellblazer and Shade! :colbert:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Tiriganiaq posted:

So how long before marvel get the ff movie rights back if sony don't make another movie.

The internet says that they have seven years from the previous movie to start production, and eight between actual theatrical releases. Fox would have release a movie by 2023 to keep the rights. As far as I know, no one has publically leaked the terms of what constitutes a contract-fulfilling release (number of theaters, weeks in theater, etc.), nor whether e.g. a Human Torch solo or Silver Surfer movie would fulfill the contract.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Squizzle posted:

The internet says that they have seven years from the previous movie to start production, and eight between actual theatrical releases. Fox would have release a movie by 2023 to keep the rights. As far as I know, no one has publically leaked the terms of what constitutes a contract-fulfilling release (number of theaters, weeks in theater, etc.), nor whether e.g. a Human Torch solo or Silver Surfer movie would fulfill the contract.

The original proves that they do not need to release it at all, so I assume its the same policy unless they renegotiated.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bobkatt013 posted:

The original proves that they do not need to release it at all, so I assume its the same policy unless they renegotiated.

That was an entirely different contract with a different company.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The 1994 unreleased FF movie was before they sold off the rights to Fox and I'm pretty sure they have a clause specifically because of that movie that the film has to be a genuine effort, play in theaters, be advertised, etc.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Why did Thor Odinson lose the hammer?

Are the nine realms like other dimensions or universes or are they just really far away planets?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

site posted:

Why did Thor Odinson lose the hammer?

Are the nine realms like other dimensions or universes or are they just really far away planets?

Nick Fury whispered something that caused him to no longer be worthy.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

site posted:

As I understand it: "yes".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can definitely travel from Asgard to the other realms just by going far enough. Thor has done it plenty.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Don't think too hard about the relationship of the Asgardian cosmology to the Marvel reality, imo.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

bobkatt013 posted:

And dollars to doughnuts whatever it was will be just mindbogglingly dumb like everything about that event.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

And dollars to doughnuts whatever it was will be just mindbogglingly dumb like everything about that event.

Every hint seems to be it has something to do with mortality. Jane can lift the hammer and its killing her, and he becomes worthy when he goes off to his death in Avengers.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hopefully Jason Aaron never actually had an answer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

"Thor, you ever read Spider-Man: Reign?"

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hopefully Jason Aaron never actually had an answer.
I'm hoping he does, since he's the best Thor writer since Simonson and he seems to have some pretty solid ideas on the nature of Mjolnir and how it's got a mind of its own -- it's not just disagreeing but actively defying Odin and is displaying powers for Jane that Thor never got out of it. That's interesting and I hope the long game Aaron's playing on it gets to come to fruitition.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

Every hint seems to be it has something to do with mortality. Jane can lift the hammer and its killing her, and he becomes worthy when he goes off to his death in Avengers.

Which is extra dumb because Thor has faced death repeatedly in his stories. In Aaron's own run Thor fought a guy called the Godbutcher who unsurprisingly butchered gods and almost got three time displaced incarnations of himself killed.

If Aaron is giving Mjolnir a personality it's that of a sadistic serial killer. It's literally killing Jane.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 19, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

Which is extra dumb because Thor has faced death repeatedly in his stories. In Aaron's own run Thor fought as guy called the Godbutcher who unsurprisingly butchered gods and almost got three time displaced incarnations of himself killed.

Yea but he assumed that he was going to survive. It was all about his ego. It was until he was going into battle when he knew that he was going to die that he became worthy again.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

bobkatt013 posted:

I take it we don't know what it was he said yet? Did Fury tell him to intentionally gently caress with him or did he not know that would happen?

zoux posted:

Don't think too hard about the relationship of the Asgardian cosmology to the Marvel reality, imo.

Yeah I'm not gonna sweat it too much, I was just curious.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

site posted:

I take it we don't know what it was he said yet? Did Fury tell him to intentionally gently caress with him or did he not know that would happen?
We don't know what he said, but Fury did it very intentionally and knew exactly what'd happen.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

site posted:

Nope not yet, but it looks like Odinson is about to get the Ultimate Hammer.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Nope not yet, but it looks like Odinson is about to get the Ultimate Hammer.
Excuse me, but what is the current status of ALL-BLACK THE NECROSWORD, THE SLICER OF WORLDS, THE ANNIHILABLADE?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Still in the heart of a sun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

redbackground posted:

Excuse me, but what is the current status of ALL-BLACK THE NECROSWORD, THE SLICER OF WORLDS, THE ANNIHILABLADE?

SirDan3k posted:

Still in the heart of a sun.

God, I love that this is an actual conversation someone can have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

God, I love that this is an actual conversation someone can have.
It's so metal it could be airbrushed on a panel van.