Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Gologle posted:

Dancer really does have a tremendous rear end. Is she wearing yoga pants under her armor.

That's a he, and you are gay now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So having watched a few other "newbie plays DS3" videos on youtube, I really must be king suck at this game lol. Even them getting "owned" on YouTube is anything compared to the number of times I die :laugh:.

I'm seriously thinking that maybe Cleric was not the greatest decision for me, but those extra heals...

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
This is my first Souls game, and I've been trying to play sort of a magic knight--high int, with just enough str/dex to try out a couple of weapons and enough health to not get one-shot. I've spent most of the game with the basic longsword and the best 100% physical shield I could find because I'm utter poo poo at dodging physical attacks. I've been relying mostly on steadily-upgrading versions of soul arrow and using magic weapon (upgrading to great version when I got it) to boost my mediocre physical damage when things are too close.

What's the opinion on infusions for someone like me? I used Raw early on because the flat buff was better than any physical stat scaling at the time and switched to Crystal when I found the coal for it but the damage seemed lacklustre compared to my previous setup. Now I have the mixed str/dex infusion on there purely because it had the best total damage at the time I looked.

Assuming I plan to keep pumping my int up and focusing on spells, will Crystal eventually scale well enough to make it worth losing the Magic Weapon option?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

In previous Dark Souls pyros started hilariously over-powered and mellowed over time. To me the highlight of pyromancy was when fighting Smough you can glitch the A.I. by having him just run forward to a pillar and just simply throw fire orbs at him.

Yep, Dark Souls III treats pyromancy like the other schools of magic in that it requires you to invest in stats to scale it and to meet the requirements to use its more powerful spells. Plus, its starting spells are sorta underwhelming.

It's also like any other Souls magic. There are like three or four spells that are practical PvE spells and the rest seem like total garbage until you figure out how useful they can be to mix things up in PvP. The PvE pyromancies are Fire Orb, Great Chaos Fire Orb, Chaos Bed Vestiges, and Black Fire Orb (when something resists fire). Add Carthus Flame Arc to the list if you're not using a Fire/Deep/Chaos/Dark weapon. When you get into PvP, you can drop Black Fire Orb from the list and add in things like Fire Whip, Fire Storm/Chaos Fire Storm, Fire Surge, Sacred Flame, Profaned Flame... just a lot of spells that are useful against players but not really against NPC enemies.

That's no different from sorcery in DS2, where sorcery kicked a lot of rear end. The PvE spells were anything that just shot a highly-damaging bolt at something. Your Soul Arrow and Soul Spear lines, basically. Soul Geyser until it got nerfed to the ground. Cool spells like Soul Vortex and Soul Greatsword seemed like trash until you realized they were awesome at making people do stupid things in PvP and punishing them for those stupid things.

Melanion posted:

What's the opinion on infusions for someone like me? I used Raw early on because the flat buff was better than any physical stat scaling at the time and switched to Crystal when I found the coal for it but the damage seemed lacklustre compared to my previous setup. Now I have the mixed str/dex infusion on there purely because it had the best total damage at the time I looked.

Assuming I plan to keep pumping my int up and focusing on spells, will Crystal eventually scale well enough to make it worth losing the Magic Weapon option?

How much Intelligence do you have right now and what weapon did you infuse with Crystal?

Infusions aren't super user-friendly to understand. Some weapons are better infusion fodder than others--for example, the Estoc scales very well when infused, but some other weapons are kind of lackluster. If you have less than 30ish Intelligence, you're probably better off with a Raw weapon that you cast Great Magic Weapon on. Once you break that barrier, a good Crystal weapon (ideally B or better scaling) should start to be competitive.

Also, note that, if you want to commit to Intelligence, you should level it to 60, even though weapon scaling soft-caps at 40. That's because spell scaling keeps on going strong until 60 and doesn't really hit its full potential until then. And at that level, you can also use the Chaos infusion for fire damage, if you run into something that resists magic. (Chaos may even be stronger than Crystal at really high Intelligence, but I'm not sure.)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 19, 2016

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Thinking about Aldrich's backstory here, local crestfallen dude says that Aldrich used to be a normal cleric who got into cannibalism until he got so incredibly fat he turned into a blob monster. Seems slightly odd but there is an actual explanation here, Human bodies in the souls series actually contain humanity as a tangible element(it's why the corpse eating rats DS1 can drop it.) so he's basically turned into a giant bloated mass of the stuff.

Humanity as an element is routinely linked the abyss, which might be why a few of the dark spells and miracles reference being used the deep clerics/deacons. Aldrich also has a dream at some point telling him about some coming age of the deep sea (which sounds like a rather abyssal place) so he sets out to eat the gods because...? Presumably because the gods are usually associated with fire and are the primary obstacles to the any oncoming age of dark.

Now the reason my working theory about Aldrich as an abyssal agent falls apart is because I can't think of why he'd link the fire in the first place unless the whole blobiness and god eating thing happened after the bell of awakening rang but before we started hunting his undefined rear end down.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Harrow posted:

If anyone's playing a Sorcerer and wants to see a kinda low-quality PvP video from someone who seems to have a lot of fun playing Sorcerer in DS3, here ya go:

He even uses Soul Greatsword well! And look at the damage he's getting out of the Flashsword!

DS2's DLC is good, but none of that is strictly necessary for playing DS3. If DS3 is the game you actually want to play right now, go play that; if SotFS is, then go play that.

Yep, this is my poo poo. Thank you for this!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

deacons are far and away the easiest boss.

Vordt is pretty chumpy for a guy that looks so intimidating

btw I saw some people saying Champion Gundyr was one of the hardest fights; if this is you try summoning the poverty ronin NPC who attacks you right at the beginning of the game, I summoned him on a laff and he was an absolute beast who helped me win that fight on my first go without ever being in serious danger

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Welp, I found the waifu

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.
I really don't get how Champion Gundyr is hard. I beat him with minimal effort as a totally standard quality greatsword build.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Edit: ^^^ His attack chains that never stop, his 'I'm hitting this way oops I just spun around and stabbed you behind me' attacks, getting stuck in that grab attack and tossed off the cliff (that happened to me once, I was laughing too much to rage about it)

voltcatfish posted:

Welp, I found the waifu

Is it Yoel?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

How are FTH builds in this game?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

What are the ideal shields for parrying? I'm just hitting Farron's Keep and I'm still using the starting assassin shield. I can't tell what's actually better.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Harrow posted:

How much Intelligence do you have right now and what weapon did you infuse with Crystal?

Infusions aren't super user-friendly to understand. Some weapons are better infusion fodder than others--for example, the Estoc scales very well when infused, but some other weapons are kind of lackluster. If you have less than 30ish Intelligence, you're probably better off with a Raw weapon that you cast Great Magic Weapon on. Once you break that barrier, a good Crystal weapon (ideally B or better scaling) should start to be competitive.

Also, note that, if you want to commit to Intelligence, you should level it to 60, even though weapon scaling soft-caps at 40. That's because spell scaling keeps on going strong until 60 and doesn't really hit its full potential until then. And at that level, you can also use the Chaos infusion for fire damage, if you run into something that resists magic. (Chaos may even be stronger than Crystal at really high Intelligence, but I'm not sure.)

Just under 30 right now. I think. My leveling has been really slow recently because I just saved 45k souls undoing the work of a well-meaning friend. I couldn't stand that 48-hours-of-tanning-bed look. :gonk:

I'm getting better at finding time during close range fights to use my big soul arrow, but my strategy for high-health enemies is still to nuke them from stealth, once more as they approach, and then try to finish them with the longsword.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

Welp, I found the waifu

If it's not Siegward it better be Karla

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

You might want to reread Dancer's soul description. Or just her armor description.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Cathedral of the Deep is a real bunch of rear end. Dodging the giant swings is kind of a crapshoot, followed by the guy with the tower shield where it's easy to get hung up on objects and murdered, immediately followed by the enormous dog thing... :fuckoff:

That being said, drat it Abyss Watchers were amazing and basically everything from Crystal Sage to the Cathedral has been great stuff.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 19, 2016

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

The Wonder Weapon posted:

What are the ideal shields for parrying? I'm just hitting Farron's Keep and I'm still using the starting assassin shield. I can't tell what's actually better.

Ones labeled "small shield" are definitely the best, but I haven't noticed any difference between specific small shields.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

f#a# posted:

Sure, Dark Souls 3, put the only two good transposed weapons for Dex builds on the same endgame boss.

Which one, Storm Curved Sword or Dragonslayer Swordspear? The latter seems like it would be so good at punishing runners.

e: oh, nevermind, swordspear requires 18 fth. Ugh.

Also have you considered that you are wrong because breakdance sword is great and gets A in dex

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

The slowest of slow starts.

You don't get Lightning Spear for a while, and even when you do it isn't great. It's also very, very important to know that all of the Lightning miracles do lots more damage if you hit point-blank. You can throw them from range, but they do a lot less damage than they do in melee. They cast quickly, so it's possible to use them that way, but they're very clearly not intended to be your main source of damage. They're a point-blank, this-thing-needs-to-die-right-now nuke. Miracles are full melee-support magic now.

At very high Faith, Lightning Blade and Darkmoon Blade add over 200 AR to a weapon, and some weapons (like the Astora Greatsword) respond very well to the Lightning infusion. Sunlight Spear (which you don't get until you transpose the final boss's soul) is incredibly strong at 45+ Faith (and point-blank, of course), as is the weapon art from the Dragonslayer Swordspear.

Basically, it's very strong, but only in the very late game and NG+. Until then, stick to a raw weapon, maybe buff it with Carthus Flame Arc and eventually Lightning Blade, or just play through as a normal physical build and respec once you have a good amount of miracles available.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

I'm not sure if this has been shared yet (and the thread moves entirely too fast to comb through it all), but twitch.tv/DragonVuIture shared this in the twitch chat of some random DS3 streamer I was watching. Damage numbers after 1.04 buffs

He said he had been doing this literally the entire day, and I saw this at maybe 7pm the day of!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Melanion posted:

Just under 30 right now. I think. My leveling has been really slow recently because I just saved 45k souls undoing the work of a well-meaning friend. I couldn't stand that 48-hours-of-tanning-bed look. :gonk:

I'm getting better at finding time during close range fights to use my big soul arrow, but my strategy for high-health enemies is still to nuke them from stealth, once more as they approach, and then try to finish them with the longsword.

Yeah, just keep leveling Intelligence and eventually a Crystal weapon will be better than a buffed Raw weapon. (Chaos, too. Chaos is a really good infusion.) And your spells will be much more powerful once you break 40 Intelligence and keep going upward.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

BobTheJanitor posted:

Edit: ^^^ His attack chains that never stop, his 'I'm hitting this way oops I just spun around and stabbed you behind me' attacks, getting stuck in that grab attack and tossed off the cliff (that happened to me once, I was laughing too much to rage about it)

I never saw his grab but all his attacks are almost effortless to dodge and you have tons of space to get away from him and heal.

I just don't see it. Like, it was seriously just a pattern of roll twice then attack > repeat > back away to gather stamina > repeat process again. I'd rate him as one of the easier bosses in a game where I only struggled with a couple of bosses.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Also - is it me or does this game seem much stingier with souls than previous games?

Perhaps it's the fact that you don't get souls as a reward for co-op, but it seems like my usual technique of "get damage stat to 40 ASAP" takes a LOT longer in this game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I did it, I beat the game.

It's kinda nice for once to have a final boss that is (arguably) the hardest one in the game. That's never really happened before.

Admittedly I'm pretty sure my personal hardest boss was the Twins or the Champ but, the final one was very close.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Died 6 more times to loving CG.

It's his charge attack. I cannot deal with this charge attack in the slightest. If I dodge he swings back, boots me across the arena, then leaps at me before I can get up. If I block, he drains my stamina, boots me across the arena, and leaps at me before I can get up.6 deaths, every single one that loving charge attack. And in each one I went from 80% health to dead before I could take another action.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Ice Fist posted:

Lacking until endgame, where they proceed to kick absolute tons of rear end. That's from a damage perspective, by the way. From an overall standpoint, taking into account healing and the utility miracles, it's a good build starting around midgame. Don't start as a Herald, start as either a Knight, Pyromancer, or hell, maybe even a Cleric. Herald isn't a good start.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

I'm not sure if this has been shared yet (and the thread moves entirely too fast to comb through it all), but twitch.tv/DragonVuIture shared this in the twitch chat of some random DS3 streamer I was watching. Damage numbers after 1.04 buffs

He said he had been doing this literally the entire day, and I saw this at maybe 7pm the day of!

Not included in this: the Zweihander and Astora Greatsword also got pretty big buffs, even though they're ultra greatswords and not regular ones.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So is there ever a real reason to use an Int/Faith infused weapon over a Raw weapon with your best weapon buff spell applied, damage-wise? Sometimes keeping the buff up can be inconvenient of course, but just purely on performance.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Wagrid posted:

I never saw his grab but all his attacks are almost effortless to dodge and you have tons of space to get away from him and heal.

I just don't see it. Like, it was seriously just a pattern of roll twice then attack > repeat > back away to gather stamina > repeat process again. I'd rate him as one of the easier bosses in a game where I only struggled with a couple of bosses.

That's wild, it sounds like you fought a different boss. My experience was that he would chain together 4 or 5 attacks, and then when you were faked into thinking you had a split second to breathe he would smash you with a shoulder attack. If you manage to get behind him, you get a backwards kick. P1 gives you a tiny bit of breathing room, but his red-eye P2 is just non-stop attacks. Even backing off halfway across the arena for a shot of estus usually just resulted him doing a flying spear drop or a super long range charge, so you rarely restored more HP than you lost.

The only way I managed to finally beat him was swapping my dodging strats for a great shield, slapping on a weapon buff and going kamikaze and praying for him to stagger so I could get a big visceral attack off. Extreme turtling with moments of extreme stabbing, basically.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I don't have an answer to that because I think it varies on a weapon by weapon basis, but I will say from personal experience that a Sharp Uchigatana does mucho damage when you buff it with Lightning Blade as opposed to making it Lightning or Blessed infusion.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Also have you considered that you are wrong because breakdance sword is great and gets A in dex

Wait what sword?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Wagrid posted:

For me, I struggled a lot because it seemed like at times, he wouldn't stop attacking long enough for me to actually drink estus before he'd lunge ahead and hit me for all of the damage I just healed. And my stamina wasn't too great, because after I'd finish rolling through everything, I'd maybe be able to get in a hit if he didn't start swinging right away.

After a while, I just started eating his side kicks on purpose because they did way less damage than a hit from his weapon, and it'd at least ensure that I was far away from the boss by the time I finished flying through the air. :v:

Edit: It also didn't help that I had no idea that you could perform a critical hit on bosses you staggered. I didn't find that out until I was delivering the final blow to him anyway. Made for a flashy finish, though.

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 19, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

So is there ever a real reason to use an Int/Faith infused weapon over a Raw weapon with your best weapon buff spell applied, damage-wise? Sometimes keeping the buff up can be inconvenient of course, but just purely on performance.

Convenience, mostly.

Some weapons also get bonkers Int/Faith scaling when infused. The Astora Greatsword gets S Faith scaling when infused with Lightning or A/A Int/Faith when infused with Chaos. The Estoc gets B/B Int/Faith when infused with Chaos. Actually, if you're a 30/30 pyromancer build Chaos on just about any weapon is going to beat out Raw + Carthus Flame Arc for sure; Chaos is an incredibly strong infusion, especially compared to Crystal.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Wait what sword?

Farron Greatsword. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUOIKfqkijY

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Yeah I've been doing a faith build and early on the miracles are mostly just a more efficient way to heal up after a fight. They get better later on, though. I've been primarily using a raw Astora's Straight Sword + Lightning Weapon and at end game it has about ~550 damage buffed which seems to be quite a lot. You can stack it with Sacred Oath which also gives a not insignificant damage reduction buff.

I'm not sure if it gets significant faith scaling but I've also been using the classic Dragonslayer Spear and the special attack from that does a hilarious amount of damage. Like, the charge part of the attack will break a Lothric Knight's guard and the final blast does ~1100 damage and kills them in one hit.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
spoilers for Yhorm and his area

Reading the description for this weapon found in Profaned Capital: http://darksouls.wikia.com/wiki/Eleonora

Specifically this line: The Profaned Flame was triggered by the curse of these women, relatives of a certain oracle, but despite their culpability, they went on living without any cares.

Oracle, you say? Such as, say, Alsanna, SIlent Oracle? It would seem to match up since Eleum had a chaos flame beneath it.

So is Profaned Capital the remnants of Eleum Loyce and the Oracle? The only other cursed flame I can think of would be the one in Izalith, and one of the demon souls says specifically that that Chaos Flame is dead and gone.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

BobTheJanitor posted:

That's wild, it sounds like you fought a different boss. My experience was that he would chain together 4 or 5 attacks, and then when you were faked into thinking you had a split second to breathe he would smash you with a shoulder attack. If you manage to get behind him, you get a backwards kick. P1 gives you a tiny bit of breathing room, but his red-eye P2 is just non-stop attacks. Even backing off halfway across the arena for a shot of estus usually just resulted him doing a flying spear drop or a super long range charge, so you rarely restored more HP than you lost.

The only way I managed to finally beat him was swapping my dodging strats for a great shield, slapping on a weapon buff and going kamikaze and praying for him to stagger so I could get a big visceral attack off. Extreme turtling with moments of extreme stabbing, basically.

I beat him so quickly I didn't even notice there were discrete phases to the fight! I guess in hindsight yeah, he totally does gain a bunch of new moves about halfway through. . . which I also dodged really easily.

If it's any consolation I loving sucked at Nameless King and had to summon help.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

strangemusic posted:

Cathedral of the Deep is a real bunch of rear end. Dodging the giant swings is kind of a crapshoot, followed by the guy with the tower shield where it's easy to get hung up on objects and murdered, immediately followed by the enormous dog thing... :fuckoff:

A weapon with guard break will make the shield knights manageable. The most effective method I've found for the 2-handers was die to them a bunch of times and learn their rhythm for parrying. :/

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I love the Cathedral and I love the Deacons of the Deep. What a gloriously stupid battle! I died the first time before I realized what I was supposed to be doing. Now I've beaten it and I'm sunbro-ing to show nubs the way, the truth, and the two-handed swing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue

Harrow posted:

The slowest of slow starts.

You don't get Lightning Spear for a while, and even when you do it isn't great. It's also very, very important to know that all of the Lightning miracles do lots more damage if you hit point-blank. You can throw them from range, but they do a lot less damage than they do in melee. They cast quickly, so it's possible to use them that way, but they're very clearly not intended to be your main source of damage. They're a point-blank, this-thing-needs-to-die-right-now nuke. Miracles are full melee-support magic now.

At very high Faith, Lightning Blade and Darkmoon Blade add over 200 AR to a weapon, and some weapons (like the Astora Greatsword) respond very well to the Lightning infusion. Sunlight Spear (which you don't get until you transpose the final boss's soul) is incredibly strong at 45+ Faith (and point-blank, of course), as is the weapon art from the Dragonslayer Swordspear.

Basically, it's very strong, but only in the very late game and NG+. Until then, stick to a raw weapon, maybe buff it with Carthus Flame Arc and eventually Lightning Blade, or just play through as a normal physical build and respec once you have a good amount of miracles available.

Are you sure on the Lightning Spear thing? A friend of mine playing a Faith character said he noticed no difference in melee Lightning Spear as compared to ranged. It could have been part of that patch way back... Either way, he was dissatisfied with it until he found the first miracle boosting ring, I don't know why cleric doesn't start with it... But now that he has he's doing alright, and Tears of Denial being available way early helps too. It seems that it takes a while for miracle builds to get rolling offensively, especially if you put off cashing in the dark tomes, but it's strong on support.

And on the Sorcery PvP video: hell yes! If I could actually run Dark Souls 3 and recording software at the same time without melting my computer, I'd record a mixed regular/dark sorcery one to match it, or at least try, he's better than me. But yeah, Flashsword is actually quite useful in PvP, and if you're clever about it you can hit even with the slow stuff.