Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Joementum posted:

It already happens in a lot of states: they're called caucuses.

Yeah but caucuses are loving awful so imagine every state doing one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Joementum posted:

This is why we should stop states from having to pay for the drat things and force the parties to run their own elections.

fifty caucus states :yikes:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

yes dear we get it, you don't understand politics

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Joementum posted:

It already happens in a lot of states: they're called caucuses.

caucuses only ironically own. parties are quasi-public institutions and should be held to higher election standards. although you can't force parties to hold open primaries, they should.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fullhouse posted:

That's pretty much how it worked for over a hundred years, albeit the caucus attendees were actual party members instead of just anyone who checked a box while registering to vote

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

it's sad to see the chances of our democracy surviving weakening with every hour

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Caucuses would be better run if parties just charged 10$/year to join. They'd have much lower turnout, for one.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

fishmech posted:

Says the creature voting for the epitome of corruption: :shillary:.

:ironicat:

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

fishmech posted:

fishmech insanely understands politics lol. like so hard.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
lol just lol if you aren't a beneficiary of hillary's corrupt largesse

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm glad that people like Sky and Immortan at least like Sanders this election because the usual "YOU KNOW WHO CONTROLS THE REAL POWER HERE KEEPING THE VOICE OF TRUTH DOWN" act is more interesting when they have to balance "Jew York elites :argh:" with voting for a Jew.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

remove party affiliation from voter registration entirely and let everyone vote however the hell they drat well want
Still probably only let someone vote in one party's primary though, as funny as it would be to see each party trying to baddraft candidates for the other

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fullhouse posted:

They don't have to be as awful as the idiotic rules the Democrats use. The Kentucky GOP caucus (thanks, Randy!) was well run this year. It had polling locations that were open all day, you could come in and vote any time you wanted, used a secret ballot, and awarded delegates proportionally with a low viability threshold. It's a good model that other state parties should copy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Concerned Citizen posted:

lol just lol if you aren't a beneficiary of hillary's corrupt largesse

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Lol if it's 2016 and u aren't receiving constant kickbacks from assorted political machines you support, get with the times guys

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Skyl3lazer posted:

it's sad to see the chances of our democracy surviving weakening with every hour

fishmech can u ban this sick filth

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

zen death robot posted:

So what makes this not a primary

the party has to pay for it instead of the state

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm glad that people like Sky and Immortan at least like Sanders this election because the usual "YOU KNOW WHO CONTROLS THE REAL POWER HERE KEEPING THE VOICE OF TRUTH DOWN" act is more interesting when they have to balance "Jew York elites :argh:" with voting for a Jew.

It's great that you're so enthusiastic for a sketchy, flip-flopping, opportunistic, corporate shill like Hillary who doesn't give a thorough gently caress about poor people.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Skyl3lazer posted:

hey man, the people are voting. it's a bummer they arent voting for the person you like, but I guess it goes to show one person can't make a difference.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I voted for Hillary, hell I voted for her 8 times.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Skyl3lazer posted:

i'm sorry, did the bernie sanders campaign win their lawsuit to allow only white college students to vote?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zen death robot posted:

So what makes this not a primary

It's managed and paid for by the party, rather than the state. This gives the party some advantages: for instance they can conduct politicking in the polling locations and sign participants up for volunteer work, stuff that the state typically prohibits.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Tatum Girlparts posted:

yes, the implication that I am an antisemite is definitely strengthening your rational argument. justify to yourself ignoring the thousands of millions crying out for a chance at a better future. they're allowed to cry out so long as it's quieter than your tv, is that it?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

pathetic little tramp posted:

nice! you should have bought the $10k early bird upgrade last year though, it gives you double votes

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

Caucuses would be better run if parties just charged 10$/year to join. They'd have much lower turnout, for one.

What about a literacy test

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Joementum posted:

They don't have to be as awful as the idiotic rules the Democrats use. The Kentucky GOP caucus (thanks, Randy!) was well run this year. It had polling locations that were open all day, you could come in and vote any time you wanted, used a secret ballot, and awarded delegates proportionally with a low viability threshold. It's a good model that other state parties should copy.

what the gently caress is the point of a caucus if it isn't a thousand people crammed into a highschool gym divided into cliques and screaming at each other? or I guess the alternative, weird wilderness caucuses where two guys show up to vote for the same person so they high-five and go to the pub?? If my democracy is going to be fundamentally dysfunctional then by god I want it to be entirely dysfunctional

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

lol if you paid to remove the ads for $5,000

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Exposing :shillary:'s laundry list of donors is apparently antisemitism now. At least you're not :qq:'ing over 'tone' anymore. :unsmith:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dude you didn't the Clinton Foundation Bundle? You get the bonus votes and the ability to call in a one done strike every six months.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Joementum posted:

It's managed and paid for by the party, rather than the state. This gives the party some advantages: for instance they can conduct politicking in the polling locations and sign participants up for volunteer work, stuff that the state typically prohibits.

i think the main thing is although state elections aren't perfect, there is too little legal consequence for shenanigans in a caucus. parties are too entrenched to give them control over how the ballots are counted, so to speak. it should be done by a neutral third party (i.e the government)

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Immortan posted:

Exposing :shillary:'s laundry list of donors is apparently antisemitism now. At least you're not :qq:'ing over 'tone' anymore. :unsmith:

hillary's donor list has a very high percentage of satanists. because she is satan, you see

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

zen death robot posted:

There aren't billions of voters in the us, or people for that matter

wake up sheeple

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
bernie sanders is a lovely liberal and it's hillarious that anyone thinks he's the last hope for anything besides "having an old white man be president with a d after his name"

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Dude you didn't the Clinton Foundation Bundle? You get the bonus votes and the ability to call in a one done strike every six months.

As a platinum member of the Clinton Foundation I also get to to gently caress the poor.

As in literally go to a Clinton Foundation debtors prison and have intercourse with them.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Concerned Citizen posted:

caucuses only ironically own. parties are quasi-public institutions and should be held to higher election standards. although you can't force parties to hold open primaries, they should.

I don't think parties should hold open primaries. The party primary process exists to give a voice to the party members. Your registered Democrats/Republicans are going to be the ones most likely to be getting out and voting for you in the general election, midterms, special elections etc., so shouldn't the party find the candidate that is acceptable to the majority of those people? A party is not just a general election candidate, but a nationwide machine that is built and funded by party members.

If I had kids the Teacher's Union's decisions and leadership would affect them. I'm not a teacher, but should I still be able to vote in their elections?

That said, I do think a party switch registration deadline 6 months is ridiculous. 30 days is sufficient, and if a voter is not going to pay attention until a week before - too bad.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

fishmech posted:

bernie sanders is a lovely liberal and it's hillarious that anyone thinks he's the last hope for anything besides "having an old white man be president with a d after his name"

your accelerationist attitude won't work in a wold with nuclear weapons, which also happens to be on the brink of environmental oblivion

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

i actually thought it would be really cool to have an agnostic president (i assume bernie was agnostic from his comments). does hillary fake religion?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Skyl3lazer posted:

yes, the implication that I am an antisemite is definitely strengthening your rational argument. justify to yourself ignoring the thousands of millions crying out for a chance at a better future. they're allowed to cry out so long as it's quieter than your tv, is that it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feY5KhdXsUQ&t=37s

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

logikv9 posted:

hillary's donor list has a very high percentage of satanists. because she is satan, you see

hail satan :regd10:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i'm surprised anyone actually wants another old white dude as president

• Locked thread