Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Finally getting some time to play and even though I suck at this series it remains one of my favorites just for the sense of gently caress YEAH when you finally get past something that boss that has been killing you.

Whats the total count of bosses in game by the way? I went to look at the wiki but they didnt have a count, just a list and I didnt want to spoil anything for myself.

I think it's around 20?

Your Computer posted:

More specifically, I'm thinking of the bridge before the Prince's chamber. That was like what, 5 Red-eyed Knights and 8 Hollows at once? You can deal with them easily by running away or plinking at them outside their leash radius, but neither of those are good design. Also I could have been more clear about the rings, there are a couple of great rings but having 3 slots instead of 4 isn't as bad as in DS2.

Let's pray for a bunch of DLC because DS3 is so good :pray:

When you mentioned a bullshit bit of Lothric Castle I immediately knew what you meant. I ran straight through there to unlock the short cut and never bothered with it again. It's a shame because the bridge makes for a pretty good set up and that whole zone seemed to be channelling Boletarian Palace and I am always extremely down for Demon's Souls references.

Wagrid fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Shieldless, no magic Abyss watcher fight put my heart in my mouth, goddamn.

This is the only way to do the fight. Getting the hang of the trail effect on his flame sword is downright glorious. None of this running away nonsense, roll right up into his face and wrestle him within in a cage of flame.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ODK getting all weak like a little baby took me by surprise.... then he killed me.

loving fight. At least the pyro summon toxifies him forever but it only plinks like 10 HP.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
People who are saying Wolnir is way too easy are correct. Case in point, here's a video of me beating him in 1 minute, before he can even attack more than a single time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2P-wg-OZec

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Wagrid posted:

Right, that is my complaint. They seem to have turned a corny subtitle into the driving design philosophy of the sequel.

Tomb of the Giants and Lost Izalith being poo poo doesn't make the parts of Dark Souls II that are poo poo (its all of them) less poo poo.

Tomb of the Giants was a dumb, easily overridden gimmick with little content. Lost Izalith literally isn't finished and is leftoverdevelopmentassets.txt, New Londo barely exists.

The Duke's Archives are really the only decent part of end game DS1, the rest is completely coming apart at the seams. :shrug:

Still a good game but it gets way too much of a pass.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Finally getting some time to play and even though I suck at this series it remains one of my favorites just for the sense of gently caress YEAH when you finally get past something that boss that has been killing you.

Whats the total count of bosses in game by the way? I went to look at the wiki but they didnt have a count, just a list and I didnt want to spoil anything for myself.

I wanna say 19?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This is the only way to do the fight. Getting the hang of the trail effect on his flame sword is downright glorious. None of this running away nonsense, roll right up into his face and wrestle him within in a cage of flame.

Yeah, no kidding! DH armour aside, the duel bosses are loving heart pounding like this.

Ditch your shields, people. :black101:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

tomb of the giants is cool. lothric castle seemed like a normal level to me? they throw shortcuts at you like crazy. I was kinda disappointed it was the one of last few levels. I really liked it, but I just wish there were more dark souls 3. also many of the rings are p fantastic.

I'm very excited for new levels, but Dark Souls 3 is actually a very good length I feel. It's long enough to feel appropriate for the price and the journey you are on, but the levels are more dense and thorough. I'm spending much more time exploring the Undead Settlement than I did the Undead Burg, because there's more layers, more branching paths and side sections.

There isn't really a flat out "bad" area in DS3 that I've found. The worst is possible the Smoldering Lake and I thought that zone was cool as hell, and a nice way to actually do Izalith "right" in a sense. It's a very tough area to explore and the fact that it's actually optional somehow makes that more satisfying.

The Crucifixion Woods is maybe my favorite area in the game; the water zone with the crabs is really pretty and kind of peaceful, enemies notwithstanding. The Farron Swamp actually feels like a not horrible place, and visually feels distinct from Valley of Defilement or Blighttown; it feels like a kind of real swamp, and it's so friggin' huge.

Preferably, I'd hope that the DLC content adds at least one more big sprawling area like Farron, because this is the first time that style of area has really been done "right" in my opinion, without bullshit mosquitos or other nonsense.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

CJacobs posted:

People who are saying Wolnir is way too easy are correct. Case in point, here's a video of me beating him in 1 minute, before he can even attack more than a single time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2P-wg-OZec

This was basically my experience too. People talk about getting swarmed with adds in that fight, but I didn't get any. The only skeleton I saw was the big one that keeled over like a chump.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Groovelord Neato posted:

16 by my count not sure if that's right tho.

I saw some guy got really mad about this game "only having 19 bosses to DS2's 40 or so" so I'm going to say he's probably right and there are 19

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I upgraded my pyromancer starting gear to the (slightly worse, but whatever, I want to look like a swamp witch) Conjurator outfit. And then I helped someone kill crystal sage and I got distracted by my shawl just kind of blinking in and out of existence allowing me to see through my shoulder into the insides of my arms and chest. Someone didn't test out that armor I think. Or my new video card is bad and I'm sad. I hope it's a common problem and not a me problem.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if Irina cares if you kill Eygon? It seems like killing him is the only way to get his hammer, but I want to do my "faith dude with BramdGrantGiant Mace™" gimmick run which means getting Irina's miracles and also killing him.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

CJ posted:

Coincidentally i was watching a YouTube video on Kanji last week and the guy mentioned that Abyss is literally 'deep sea'. Not sure if that affects anything.
(FYI links are spoilers, be warned)

It all has to deal with the japanese notion of nature and pollution. I'm not joking. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kegare

Basically the deep was this pristine place in nature that got corrupted by pollution and started to breed evil. Think about the gutter and the sanctum in DS2. They were once a gorgeous place that got polluted by everything nasty trickling down into it. So the deep is literally the ocean, it's the ocean. The game literally mentions it's a metaphor for the ocean.

So Aldrich was the priest of the shrine to the deep and became a corrupted blob of baby eating horror due to the burden of sin (I'm no shinto scholar but I'm imagining it's basically like having a greenpeace member become possessed by a pissed off forest spirit). Babies weren't enough so he had is Pope bro give him some better snacks in the form of Gwyndolin, and it's hinted he also ate Priscilla.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 19, 2016

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

Tomb of the Giants was a dumb, easily overridden gimmick with little content. Lost Izalith literally isn't finished and is leftoverdevelopmentassets.txt, New Londo barely exists.

The Duke's Archives are really the only decent part of end game DS1, the rest is completely coming apart at the seams. :shrug:

Still a good game but it gets way too much of a pass.

I would cosign all of this. I'm not sure why me not liking Dark Souls II at all means I must have some kind of blind spot to Dark Souls I's flaws?

I think the only game in the series without pretty significant weak areas is Demon's Souls. Even Valley of Defilement is pretty good.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
If you cast miracles with a talisman (not chime) your L2 special ability is a temporary boost to poise. If you just hold down L2, you'll do the poise boost and then immediately proceed to cast your spell. Handy for taking a hit to the face and following up with a fist full of lightning or whatever.

Gyre posted:

Finally got my copy after Amazon fuckery. Are shields still a good go to? I'm not always the best at dodging so I like a buffer for mistakes.

Also is there anything that's "I wish I knew this before I started" that's specific to this game (and not the series in general)?

Shields are pretty good. More enemies than before have shield-fucker attacks that you can't or shouldn't block. But they're still frequently useful.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Your Computer posted:

Does anyone know if Irina cares if you kill Eygon? It seems like killing him is the only way to get his hammer, but I want to do my "faith dude with BramdGrantGiant Mace™" gimmick run which means getting Irina's miracles and also killing him.

Yes but when you get his armor, wear it when you talk to her again.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

For casters out there: where did stop putting points in Attunement and Endurance? I alternate between putting points in Intelligence and Faith while putting one in Attunement and Endurance then occasionally in Vigor because HP is good.

Oh and I finally beat Pontiff Sulyvahn. It took a few tries as I was figuring out his gimmick and moveset. Just strafing to the left with guard up did the trick really well. With Great Combustion and Chaos Bed Vestiges I tore him down and his close really well. Had a few close calls because of my stamina management but beyond that he was a fun battle.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Wagrid posted:

I would cosign all of this. I'm not sure why me not liking Dark Souls II at all means I must have some kind of blind spot to Dark Souls I's flaws?

I think the only game in the series without pretty significant weak areas is Demon's Souls. Even Valley of Defilement is pretty good.

I've never played Bloodborne what are the lovely areas in it?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Spanish Manlove posted:

and it's hinted he also ate Priscilla.

No, it thankfully is not. The only mention of that is something he saw in his dreams.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

(FYI links are spoilers, be warned)

It all has to deal with the japanese notion of nature and pollution. I'm not joking. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kegare

Basically the deep was this pristine place in nature that got corrupted by pollution and started to breed evil. Think about the gutter and the sanctum in DS2. They were once a gorgeous place that got polluted by everything nasty trickling down into it. So the deep is literally the ocean, it's the ocean. The game literally mentions it's a metaphor for the ocean.

So Aldrich was the priest of the shrine to the deep and became a corrupted blob of baby eating horror due to the burden of sin (I'm no shinto scholar but I'm imagining it's basically like having a peta member become possessed by a pissed off forest spirit). Babies weren't enough so he had is Pope bro give him some better snacks in the form of Gwyndolin, and it's hinted he also ate Priscilla.

I thought he just dreamed of Priscilla while eating Gwyndolin? That's what the Lifehunt Scythe miracle says, anyway.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
All this Aldrich talk, and I thought it was just a mistranslation of "Eldritch". A Cthulhu/Lovecraft reference. The guy rests under the water waiting to emerge :shrug:

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Were the NPC quest lines this convoluted in Bloodborne or is this a new thing? I haven't read any wikis but I feel like I've completely hosed at least half of all teh NPC stuff. It seems like even the most minute of actions can make a quest line fail and the game doesn't give the slightest of hints that this is the case.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Harrow posted:

I thought he just dreamed of Priscilla while eating Gwyndolin? That's what the Lifehunt Scythe miracle says, anyway.

I took it one step further and when he was eating Gwyndolin he had this darth vader like moment of "but there's a sister" and figured out where she was hidden. But that doesn't explain where Yorshka comes from so who knows.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Oh good goddamit. Didn't know how to buff storms ruler and Siegward died:( fuuuuuck

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

voltcatfish posted:

the woods is the area i liked least but it's not lovely.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

voltcatfish posted:

Chalice dungeons maybe...?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yes but when you get his armor, wear it when you talk to her again.

Okay, this I have to try :stare:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

kikkelivelho posted:

Were the NPC quest lines this convoluted in Bloodborne or is this a new thing? I haven't read any wikis but I feel like I've completely hosed at least half of all teh NPC stuff. It seems like even the most minute of actions can make a quest line fail and the game doesn't give the slightest of hints that this is the case.

I don't think it's quite as easy to gently caress up Anri as one might think.

and I don't know if you can gently caress up Sirris at all if you don't join Rosaria.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

kikkelivelho posted:

I don't really think they're that convoluted, or at least no more so than usual.

Bloodborne didn't have very prominent NPC quests. The main ones I can think of are Eileen the Crow (requires meeting her at fairly specific times/places in the first half of the game to get the "good" ending to her quest) and Albert the Executioner (which is a relatively simple quest that doesn't have a ton of payoff but at least it's totally bonkers).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

Chalice Dungeons are all I can really think of, and even they have their proponents.

There are definitely areas I enjoy less than others but I don't think it has any truly lovely areas in the main game. But, full disclosure, I am probably blinded by my love of Bloodborne.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

kikkelivelho posted:

Bloodborne didn't have too many NPCs you needed to talk to more than once so no. The quest that gives you a couple of the best runes had some requirements like DS3 but that's it.

e: It's actually kind of funny that the game at the end of the world has a lot more NPCs than the game in a city with just a few pest control problems.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the executioner set is so sick in bloodborne.

also i checked for ds3 it's 19 bosses.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

voltcatfish posted:

Nightmare Frontier. I'd also count the Chalice Dungeons against Bloodborne in terms of area design - I really didn't like them much at all.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Is this game like DkS2 where I can keep exploring and multiplaying when I beat the game or Bloodborne where it's going to immediately shuttle me into NG+

EDIT: VV righteous thanks man

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you can do the ending and still not move into new game plus. it asks you if you wanna or not.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Is this game like DkS2 where I can keep exploring and multiplaying when I beat the game or Bloodborne where it's going to immediately shuttle me into NG+

You don't go straight to NG+.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Zombies' Downfall posted:

You can choose to keep playing.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

No, it thankfully is not. The only mention of that is something he saw in his dreams.

Yeah, perhaps ironically, little Priss may actually be the only character who is "safe" in the world of Souls, since the Painting of Ariamis has long since vanished, meaning there's likely no way to reach her now. Alone in her painted world.

Well, she would be if I hadn't smashed her into a bloody pulp with a lightning enchanted Large Club but hey details

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
RE: Priscilla

One of the things I'd love to see more of (in DLC or otherwise) is stuff surrounding the Corvian enemies. The game throws around the word "heretic" a lot, and they might have a connection with the cathedral but I found the description of the Storyteller's Staff to be incredibly :smith:

quote:

Staff of a heretic storyteller who shares tales of the Painted World to forlorn souls.

The storytellers, too, are wretched beings with no place to go. Their bodies, souls, and even their staves are all tainted through and through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The first lever is down on the ground level in the basin of clean water.
The second lever is up where Patches was hanging out, it's how he lowered you back down.
The third lever is In the far, far corner across the cathedral from the second giant (also on the ground level).

I was given the above instructions many, many pages back about how to raise all three platforms in the Cathedral. I can find the two on the ground level, in the wet areas, but I cannot find the last lever. I have already met Patches and been lowered down, but I can't find the last remaining lever that is reportedly near where he was hanging out. Can someone give me directions to it? I'm standing near the altar where the two skeleton priests were chilling. I'm so confused and frustrated. :(