Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

RillAkBea posted:

Here's a real advanced weathering technique for all of you who think they've mastered salt and hairspray.

1. When model is ready to paint place near your kitchen sink.
2. Wait for earthquake. (I used a 5 on the JMA scale)
3. Shout expletives as plates and glasses are shaken off shelves onto the floor.
4. Assess damage and try not to step in broken glass.
5. Find model among dirty dishes in sink.

The result:

Those bloody tiny machine guns snap in half if you breath wrong but an earthquake they are apparently fine with.

I got some sweet chipping effects after I dropped my Hi-Mock off the fire escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

George Zimmer posted:

That DBS kit is supposed to be excellent, good haul.

Yeah, it makes a great first impression, even has photo etch parts for the interior.

Speaking of great kits, that Revell VW Golf 1 GTI is getting better and better. The amount of detail they crammed into this little kit is something else. An absolute joy to build.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Part 3 of my Dragon armor build along is complete. In this one, we cover making some putty weld beads, adding some basic weld detail to the headlights, and installing seven billion tools. I've got two more build logs to post along with the final one that will cover building the Magic Tracks. Then, it'll be on to painting. After that it'll be figures and vignette base.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Thanks to the help in this thread, and watching some youtube tutorials, todays airbrush session went much better:

The kits are in 1:48, and will be used for wargaming. They're going to be commonwealth forces in Sicily 1943, so I'm going for a mid stone brown and blue-black camo, that should still look relatively ok if we ever play North Africa. I didn't go for a khaki green colour since we have tons of Soviet tanks already, so a second force with green tanks would be a little bit boring.

Now I need to decide if I should do a higlight, or if Mid Stone on a dark grey pre-shade is enough. Then I'll try out making some sharp border camo. Is modeling clay the best way to stencil small blobs of camo with sharp edges, like this?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I've had success using blu-tack or whatever that poster tack stuff is called these days. Shape it as you want, cover the areas you want to keep the existing color with more tack or masking tape, and spray.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Gewehr 43 posted:

Part 3 of my Dragon armor build along is complete. In this one, we cover making some putty weld beads, adding some basic weld detail to the headlights, and installing seven billion tools. I've got two more build logs to post along with the final one that will cover building the Magic Tracks. Then, it'll be on to painting. After that it'll be figures and vignette base.

That omitted track link reminded me how generous Dragon is when doling out track links, unlike Academy. Their Tiger track link let only gives you enough for the tracks themselves and not even enough for the spare links in the front of the hull, let alone on the turret. Boo, Academy!

lilljonas posted:

Thanks to the help in this thread, and watching some youtube tutorials, todays airbrush session went much better:

The kits are in 1:48, and will be used for wargaming. They're going to be commonwealth forces in Sicily 1943, so I'm going for a mid stone brown and blue-black camo, that should still look relatively ok if we ever play North Africa. I didn't go for a khaki green colour since we have tons of Soviet tanks already, so a second force with green tanks would be a little bit boring.

Now I need to decide if I should do a higlight, or if Mid Stone on a dark grey pre-shade is enough. Then I'll try out making some sharp border camo. Is modeling clay the best way to stencil small blobs of camo with sharp edges, like this?

I use Silly Putty. It's cheap and reusable! One container is more than enough for simple camo on a medium sized tank like a Sherman, but it starts to get a bit thin if you're doing complicated strips on something as big as a Tiger.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Greyhawk posted:

Yeah, it makes a great first impression, even has photo etch parts for the interior.

Speaking of great kits, that Revell VW Golf 1 GTI is getting better and better. The amount of detail they crammed into this little kit is something else. An absolute joy to build.

I've been looking at getting this same kit at some point once I'm done with what remains of my stash. Are there any issues you've come across so far? My main problems with some Revell kits have been fitting issues, or the occasional vague instruction.

And since we're on Revell, I finished the F4U-4.

Their new instruction style is pretty nice, although they don't include a gear-up build or even acknowledge that there's two bombs included other than listing the paint color and then never using it.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I am happy to report that I wrapped up the build on the Panzer IV Ausf G tonight. I've got all the pictures ready, but still need to write the narrative for the remaining build log posts. The Magic Tracks went together flawlessly and look really great and all in all, I'm super happy with this kit. I'd say Dragon knocked it out of the park with this one, but I've gotta dock them a few points due to their shoddy instructions. Anyway, I'll have the other narrative around within a couple weeks or so.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Do something hilariously bad like an AER Moldova kit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It was way harder than it should of be, but I finally got a basic solid blue backdrop in.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Just ran across this guy's videos. I'm sure most of you railroad guys are already familiar with these processes and techniques, but it's all new to me and it's pretty drat cool.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjRkUtHQ774mTg1vrQ6uA5A/videos

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
First aircraft larger than 1:72. First resin parts. First photo etch. This will be quite an adventure.

Also I made some ignition wires for my Jurassic Jeep out of actual wire and shrink tube.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Nice, I want to make an A-10 as well some day, keep us posted about the kit quality.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

makka-setan posted:

First aircraft larger than 1:72. First resin parts. First photo etch. This will be quite an adventure.

I have that same kit and want to get those add-ons as well. I plan on tackling it once I get a couple more kits under my belt. Looking forward to see how yours turns out!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

makka-setan posted:

Also I made some ignition wires for my Jurassic Jeep out of actual wire and shrink tube.

Dang that is a good idea.

Some of Tamiya's old suggestions for stuff like that are quite... exact? I really hope ".02mm" is a typo.

:shepface:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 18, 2016

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

makka-setan posted:

your cockpit photoetch is for an A model, not a C :spergin:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

RillAkBea posted:

Dang that is a good idea.

Some of Tamiya's old suggestions for stuff like that are quite... exact? I really hope ".02mm" is a typo.

:shepface:

I'm pretty sure that's also supposed to be 0.2 mm.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I really wish Tamiya's drill had a chuck that took smaller bits for stuff like that. Pin vices cramp up my hand in minutes.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Forums Terrorist posted:

your cockpit photoetch is for an A model, not a C :spergin:

Fortunately I'm not that obsessed with accuracy. Generally I'll choose fit over details and details over accuracy when it comes to kits. As long as it will look good and I don't have to spend 40 hours sanding seam lines I'm happy.

I'll post updates as I make progress. So far I have only assembled some of the bombs and missiles and a few structural parts, and so far the fit has been OK but not great. The big drop tank for instance has only two locating pins and when glued together the cross section is more oval than round. The fuselage halves look a tiny bit warped so they will either require some sturdy clamps while gluing or a whole lot of filler. But that's a much later project. First I have to finish the cockpit because the resin one won't fit after the fuselage halves have been joined, as opposed to the kit cockpit.

drat those photo etch parts are small. Any suggestions on glue other than cyanoacrylate?

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
If it's a small part, Tamiya acrylic clear works very well. I use it for affixing PE parts onto painted surfaces where CA would ruin the finish.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

George Zimmer posted:

If it's a small part, Tamiya acrylic clear works very well. I use it for affixing PE parts onto painted surfaces where CA would ruin the finish.
I would like for your username to be George Zimmerit.

That's all.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Baronjutter posted:

It was way harder than it should of be, but I finally got a basic solid blue backdrop in.

Looks great!

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Smoke posted:

I've been looking at getting this same kit at some point once I'm done with what remains of my stash. Are there any issues you've come across so far? My main problems with some Revell kits have been fitting issues, or the occasional vague instruction.

No fitting issues of any kind or vague instructions so far. I have been informed that there is an error with the painting instructions.

This part should actually be rubber and should be painted semi gloss black. Im currently updating my build accordingly.

Just be sure you get the kit with the silver GTI. Revell also has a kit with a red GTI. Silver is the great new kit, red is the utter piece of crap they've been selling since the 80s repackaged.

I can't get over how great these little Tamiya motorbike kits are. Got my hands on a 1/12 Virago kit. 30 years old, but perfect fit, superbly detailed and just incredibly fun to build.

That engine is over 30 parts, btw.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Slugworth posted:

I would like for your username to be George Zimmerit.

That's all.

I don't even build AFV's and I like it.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Greyhawk posted:

No fitting issues of any kind or vague instructions so far. I have been informed that there is an error with the painting instructions.

This part should actually be rubber and should be painted semi gloss black. Im currently updating my build accordingly.

Just be sure you get the kit with the silver GTI. Revell also has a kit with a red GTI. Silver is the great new kit, red is the utter piece of crap they've been selling since the 80s repackaged.

Apparently they've made a similar mistake in the Revell VW Beetle kit(the 1968 Limousine version, although I'm painting the body red like the convertible version instead of the grey in the instructions, mainly because grey is a boring color) I'm building right now, it's showing similar parts in the paintguide as aluminium but some casual Googling shows they're supposed to be black too. I only just started so I've got plenty of room to fix it. It's a pretty good kit so far, I've built the VW T1 van as well which has the same engine, but this one's a lot more detailed so far.

I know about the red VW Golf II GTI, Scalemates already kinda warned me that it's an old kit that was reissued a few years back, it also looks a hell of a lot worse, not in the least because it's all red plastic. The only ones I've found for sale here though are the silver Golf I and the convertible version(non-GTI) in red, which are both the same base mold.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Smoke posted:

Apparently they've made a similar mistake in the Revell VW Beetle kit(the 1968 Limousine version, although I'm painting the body red like the convertible version instead of the grey in the instructions, mainly because grey is a boring color) I'm building right now, it's showing similar parts in the paintguide as aluminium but some casual Googling shows they're supposed to be black too. I only just started so I've got plenty of room to fix it. It's a pretty good kit so far, I've built the VW T1 van as well which has the same engine, but this one's a lot more detailed so far.

I built that one too. Very nice kit, though I had some trouble with the engine hood and had to close it up permanently.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Welp, apparently if I was going to sand off the raised details on the F-106 I'm building (and the dorsal spine/ventral belly are already basically sanded smooth, lol) I should have done it before assembling the aircraft itself.

I'm a scrub, I admit, but I'm gonna finish this thing anyway because F-106s are cool and I always wanted an NJ ANG bird. :colbert:

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
Just got a letter in the mail from Revell. I bought their most recent F-15E kit in 1/144(F-15E Strike Eagle & Bombs, not the earlier Tiger Meet one) and somehow the decals were out of register on the decal film, rendering some of them totally and others partially useless as a result.

I submitted a ticket via the website, and now I have a shiny new decal sheet. This one's also printed in Italy while the out of register one was printed in Portugal. From reading reviews I did discover that it's a common issue with this set, but it's nice to know that Revell offers good service and replaced them without any proof of purchase or anything. It did take several weeks for this to arrive, but the mail I got warned me about that.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
loving amazing.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Only the freshest will do!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
:lol: amazing. Great job!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I love the sign. FFS how do you do that

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Nebakenezzer posted:

I love the sign. FFS how do you do that

Copied it from the Herman's Whale Semen website I expect

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Just ran across this guy's videos. I'm sure most of you railroad guys are already familiar with these processes and techniques, but it's all new to me and it's pretty drat cool.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjRkUtHQ774mTg1vrQ6uA5A/videos

Now I want to model a farm, solely for making a shitload of hay bales.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Herman's, when only the best will do!

Fantastic.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Herman's has really come a long way since the old days. :allears:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I love that the grey hose somehow implies transparency to me. It's perfect.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Is every crap-kit seriously gonna be this good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

Is every crap-kit seriously gonna be this good?

Each crapkit season had delivered some true gold nuggets.