Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
This is probably a good a time as any to compile this read-through.

LET'S READ THE KINGKILLER CHRONICLE CRITICALLY

Preface (aka A Shitpost of Three Farts)
Part 1: “In fact there were none of these things...” (Prologue)
Part 2: “’Hush now, you’ll get all the answers before the end,’ Jake said. ‘Just let him tell it.’” (Ch. 1)
Part 3: “The worst had happened, and it hadn’t been that bad.” (Ch. 2-3)
Part 4: “’God, I never know how much to tell you people.’” (Ch. 4-5)
Part 5: “’If I seem to wander, if I seem to stray, remember that true stories seldom take the straightest way.’” (Ch. 6-7)
Part 6: "My father made a face. 'Not a very good play.' I shrugged. 'They won’t know the difference.'” (Ch. 8-10)
Part 7: "I think making you sit and listen to the rest of my story should be punishment enough." (Ch. 11-13)
Part 8: “There was an outcry and a great deal of complaining, but everyone knew they had been lucky to hear as much as they had.” (Ch. 14-16)
Interlude - The True Nature of the Chandrian
Part 9: “The next span was an ordeal.” (Ch. 18-20)
Part 10: “Oh, the pieces of the pageantry were all the same.” (Ch. 21-22)
Interlude - The Reviewers
Part 11: “I slid softly back into unconsciousness as soon as I no longer had the story to hold my attention.” (Ch. 23-25)
Part 12: “’There is no joy!’ Lanre shouted in an awful voice.“ (Ch. 26)
Part 13: “’Witnessed,’ said the second priest...“ (Ch. 27-29)
Part 14: “’A whore stole my clothes.’” (Ch. 30-32)
Part 15: “I had changed because of Tarbean.” (Ch. 33-35)
Part 16: “I started the ponderous conversion between currencies, then smiled as I realized it was unnecessary.” (Ch. 36)
Part 17: “I flipped through it, hoping to find something useful, but it was filled with sticky-sweet adventure stories meant to amuse children.” (Ch. 37-38)
Part 18: “Some of my bunkmates offered awed congratulations while Basil made a special point of coming forward to shake my hand.” (Ch. 39-41)
Part 19: “He shrugged.” (Ch. 42)
Part 20: "Ambrose shrugged." (Ch. 43-46)
Interlude, part 1 - The Secret to Enjoying The Kingkiller Chronicle, via Nick Lowe
Interlude, part 2 - The Sheer loving Dearth of Imagination At Work Here Beggars Description
Part 21: "She shrugged easily." (Ch. 47-50)
Part 22: "I shrugged nonchalantly..." (Ch. 51-52)
Interlude - Umberto Eco's Comic Portrait of Life in a Pre-Modern University
Part 23: "Slowly, I realized that none of this mattered." (Ch. 53-55)
Part 24: "Foolishness. Hyperbole. Tripe." (Ch. 56-59)
Part 25: "But my diligence gained me nothing." (Ch. 60-61)
Part 26: “’Nothing pleasant,’ she said, avoiding my eyes. ‘But nothing unexpected either.’” (Ch. 62-66)
Interlude - Jack Vance Describes Magic as a Science
Part 27: "Perhaps my head was so full of Denna that there was little room left for anything else." (Ch. 67-69)
Part 28: “’Ve vanaloi. Tu teriam keta. Palan te?’ (Ch. 70-74)
Part 29: “...m’lady.” (Ch. 75-80)
Part 30: “‘Oh it’s just the same thing you’ve heard before a hundred times before,’ I said.” (Ch. 81-85)
Part 31: "This sparked a chorus of familiar complaints..." (Ch. 86-88)
Part 32: "’Tomorrow we’ll have some of my favorite stories. My journey to Alveron’s court. Learning to fight from the Adem. Felurian…’” (Ch. 89-92)
Interlude - loghcharacterchart.jpg
Part 33: “The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.” (Epilogue)
Summing up, part 1 - What the gently caress is The Name of the Wind about?
Summing up, part 2 - How (badly) The Name of the Wind reads
Summing up, part 3 - Why does anyone like this garbage?
Part 34: "It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die." (END ALREADY)

SUNDRIES

Benson Cunningham posted:

Chronicler's ink well was completely dry when he finished. His wrists ached, the length of the tale causing him to use both his adroit hands to their fullest extent. During the recording, he had been too busy to truly reflect on the content of the story. He was more an automaton than a person- write, prompt, write, refresh ink, write some more. Now though, reviewing the pages and pages of text, he realized something was wrong. He looked up to Kvothe, confused. There was more than a little hurt in his face.

"All of this..." he gestured at the table and the loose pages, "did you just.... make it up?"

"Oh my God, I can't believe you wrote that all down. I'm Devon man, I just work here."

"But," Chronicler sputtered. "What about him?!" He pointed an accusatory finger at Bast.

Bast trembled, holding back laughter, "You think you're the first guy to come in here asking for Kvothe's story? Devon, I think he really believed you!"

"I know! Oh man, Kvothe is gonna freak when he hears this."

"What do you mean, when he hears this?" Chronicler questioned, livid.

"Old Kvothe's just away on a business trip these past few days. In fact, I think that's him getting back now."

The door to the inn opened. A huge man, nearly seven feet tall, ducked in through the frame. His broad, masculine shoulders would never have fit without him turning completely sideways. His lush, red hair tumbled down his back. He was completely naked. His enormous dick just touched the ground between each step he took. The man watched Chronicler watching him in silence for a moment. Then he spoke.

"My name is Kvothe. You may have heard of me."

BOOKS THAT ARE LIKE KINGKILLER BUT COMPETENTLY WRITTEN

The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga
Baudolino by Umberto Eco
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
The Egyptian by Mika Waltari
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
Autobiography by Benvenuto Cellini

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 5, 2017

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
That is really, really funny. How much of the book could have been cut out by a decent editor and been released as a slimmer better book? Would it have been 1/4 of the total word count.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
All of it. I'm not kidding - when you cut out the tripe, you're left with next to nothing. You can follow some line with the Chandrian, the dragon, the university - except the whole thing doesn't go anywhere. It's even worse with WMF, that doesn't even resemble a coherent plot.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I think Lamps was a little too heavy-handed in chopping out the attributions, but the "right" way to do it is definitely closer to his version than Rothfuss' where I'm concerned. Visualization and physical attribution are best used to denote shifts in demeanor that would change or develop the tenor of the conversation. You don't need to include constant references to the guy's sharp stare or twinkling glasses, for instance, because the patriarchal, interrogating tone of the conversation seems to be consistent throughout, so ideally you could just include two or three references tops and let the reader's imagination fill in for the rest.

Having no attributions at all also bugs me because it makes dialogue sound like two breathless monologues delivered apart from one another - the interjections can be useful for chopping up larger blocks of dialogue into discrete thoughts that makes them easier to follow - but that's mostly a stylistic preference. It also requires that the interjections be short, so that the eye doesn't stumble on them when skipping from end-quote to start-quote. Rothfuss takes a hearty drat sentence to describe a smile, that's not the way.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Do you guys think the series would have been better served as a series of small short stories, maybe a few chapters long each, told by Kote to Chronicler with more present day interactions and more nods to "jumping around" because the known bits of the story are close to factual? That way we get it broken into sections instead of it trying to piece together all these different parts?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Do you guys think the series would have been better served as a series of small short stories, maybe a few chapters long each, told by Kote to Chronicler with more present day interactions and more nods to "jumping around" because the known bits of the story are close to factual? That way we get it broken into sections instead of it trying to piece together all these different parts?

You just described Baudolino, kind of.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 19, 2016

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I actually like this idea a lot. You could frame it as the Chronicler asking about a particular legend or something. That'd be pretty interesting.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Also Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Why are some fantasy series so long and bloated? People complain about Moby Dick but:

206,052 words - Moby Dick
259,000 words - Name of the Wind
399,000 words - Wise Man's Fear

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ague Proof posted:

Why are some fantasy series so long and bloated? People complain about Moby Dick but:

206,052 words - Moby Dick
259,000 words - Name of the Wind
399,000 words - Wise Man's Fear

Lack of a good editor.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ha, Rothfuss sometimes reads like he is paid by the word as well.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Andrast posted:

Lack of a good editor.
It's not really fair, in this case, to compare it to 19th Century works because there were logistical reasons why books would tend to be shorter, and the longer ones were often serialized initially: Bleak House was 360k and serialized, as was War and Peace (in Russian at least). I can't speak to how much influence, if any, Melville's editor even had over Moby Dick or whether Melville would've written it longer if he could have done so. Really long books released as single works appear to be a 20th Century thing, with some exceptions. You've got Gone With The Wind and Lord of the Rings and Gormenghast and stuff like that clocking in at multiple hundreds of thousands of words. I think as the century goes on you've got much easier production and distribution options and it just tends to become more feasible to publish a brick of a book for a mass market (and LOTR still got broken up).

Fantasy's ancestor, the pulp adventure, had a tendency to be shortish because it was often written for magazines or cheap paperbacks. If you look at 1970s sci-fi it tends to be pretty lean, legends like Bradbury are sitting at 45k-70k and a not-insignificant number of their works are magazine fix-ups. You can still sort of see that in fantasy until the 80s or so; Book of the New Sun is essentially one novel but it was published as four 90k word parts over multiple years (and managed to tell a complete story, Pat). I don't think it's a coincidence that the rise of interminable LOTR-esque fantasy series -- the kind that get marketed as a series from the first book -- coincides with works in the genre trending longer and yet not really containing more or better content.

It's a bit of a chicken-and-egg concern here because the genre has proven itself able to sustain a market for mediocre poorly-edited bricks of manuscripts as long as the author will continue producing them. Good if you're Sanderson's publisher, bad if you're a Martin or Rothfuss's. But is this because the industry does not waste its time extensively editing such manuscripts before an author proves themselves to be marketable? Is it just not really a concern because they know their customers don't care all that much if the books are really long, and perhaps even prefer them that way (in which case "paid by the word," while not accurate, has a certain ring of truth for the industry)? Yet you have the example of J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter books getting noticeably longer as the series went on, which suggests that rather than getting more attention from editors Rowling might've started getting less (or the editors were less aggressive) once her works became extremely popular. Maybe the only people writing short fantasy are people like Joe Abercrombie who just seem more inclined to writing shorter fiction. There have certainly been authors who are just naturally that way: Hemingway was, Faulkner wasn't, and better editing wouldn't have made the one's works longer or the other shorter.

I can consider another possibility: For all I know, maybe good editors don't even work in SF/F if they can help it, so books like this were given editorial scrutiny but due to their length and poor editorial skill were passed along in their present state. From an outsider's perspective I can't imagine why I'd want to edit one 450k word fantasy wordpile when I could edit three or four "respectable" novels of 120k words or less each. On the other hand, if I'm a publisher I don't know why I wouldn't look for really good editors to help build and establish the hype train of hot new names in the genre by making their following works as good as possible, so I can't really explain how Wise Man's Fear happened. It makes no intuitive sense to dedicate fewer resources to your proven authors, unless said authors reject the help because they think they're hot poo poo and you allow them to get away with it. Or you're not capable of helping.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Please point to the well-written parts

Kote's fight with the two solders in the Waystone Inn, and the entirety of the last chapter of The Wise Man's Fear, "Elderberry."

I would consider these well-written.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Bast's anime moment wasn't really impressive.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I think a good critique opportunity, Lamps, if you're up for it, I asked thoughtfully, is the story elements added into NOTW later in its 'development cycle.'

Such as: Devi, Ambrose being more hands off (if you think he's a Malfoy now, imagine how he was before!), All of the interludes, and the entirety of the draccus section. I'm sure there's more. Possibly Auri? Originally the book simply ended at the university.

It's reasonable to assume that the original story arc was to show Kvothe meeting a wizard on the road, then finding his way to wizard school. In earlier drafts, the Chandrian was simply a mysterious group that appeared and killed Kvothe's parents. Rothfuss had to add the later chapters 10+ years later to give the story the feeling of 'coming full circle.' I've talked to other people who love Name of the Wind, but didn't care for the Draccus section whatsoever.

You could also look at how the framing narrative acts as a justification for the inherent flaws in the chronicle itself. Bad pacing? It's Kvothe's story! Time moves too quickly? Kvothe's story. Characterization flaws? Kvothe's story--and wait for the third book.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Andrast posted:

Lack of a good editor.

Rothfuss' editor was Betsy Wollheim from DAW, who's well-respected in the publishing industry.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Thoren posted:

Rothfuss' editor was Betsy Wollheim from DAW, who's well-respected in the publishing industry.

Lack of a writer who listens to his good editor then.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Thoren posted:

Nick Lowe posted:

The failure of the old paradigm is simple. There's a curious bias in the vernacular of critical discussion towards the qualities that make a book good. Most of the language traditionally used to describe a book's achievement has to do with its positive qualities: the plot, characterization, style, ideas, significance. Moreover, it's a bias that carries over into all those gruesome handbooks on How To Write Totally Brilliant Novels and Win Big Cash Literary Prizes. The reason nobody's yet become a big time novelist by reading up on Diane Doubtfire is just that all the advice in such booklets is directed towards getting you to write a book full of plot, characterization, style, ideas, significance. In short, a good book.

Now, it strikes me that this is completely misconceived. You've only got to look around you to realize that most books that get published are NOT good. This simple point makes a nonsense of conventional criticism, which lacks any sort of vocabulary to discuss badness in any meaningful way. And yet badness is the dominant quality of contemporary literature, and certainly of SF. All orthodox criticism can say of a truly awful book is that the characterization is terrible, or the use of the English language makes your bowels move of themselves. It fails completely to grasp that bad writing is governed by subtle rules and conventions of its own, every bit as difficult to learn and taxing to apply as those that shape good writing. But do you ever find workshops offering instruction in how to write the sort of really atrocious garbage that leers at you from every railway bookstall?

Betsy Wollheim is a hugely successful editor.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Editing a book to be a literary masterpiece vs. a popular best seller are two wildly different things.

No one is denying that Patrick Rothfuss is popular and successful.

Several/Many people are denying that Rothfuss is producing anything of literary value.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Andrast posted:

Lack of a writer who listens to his good editor then.
I'm not clear on why this would be allowed, especially by a sales-driven genre publisher. Don't these people get book contracts? Can't they attach some kind of conditions to this on an editorial level? I can understand rejecting a lot of editorial oversight if you renegotiate a contract later after a huge success, but if you're on your first trilogy surely they can force you to work with a good editor until it's satisfactory?

Unless they're just paying the editor too well to keep slogging away at a work an author keeps trying to reject changes to. Or if they have some kind of data that shows editing works extensively doesn't really matter to sales; it just needs to be "good enough," whatever their market research has determined that to be, and if it takes 2 editorial passes on average to get there they take the third draft in whatever state it ends up.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Thoren posted:

I think a good critique opportunity, Lamps, if you're up for it, I asked thoughtfully, is the story elements added into NOTW later in its 'development cycle.'

Such as: Devi, Ambrose being more hands off (if you think he's a Malfoy now, imagine how he was before!), All of the interludes, and the entirety of the draccus section. I'm sure there's more. Possibly Auri? Originally the book simply ended at the university.

It's reasonable to assume that the original story arc was to show Kvothe meeting a wizard on the road, then finding his way to wizard school. In earlier drafts, the Chandrian was simply a mysterious group that appeared and killed Kvothe's parents. Rothfuss had to add the later chapters 10+ years later to give the story the feeling of 'coming full circle.' I've talked to other people who love Name of the Wind, but didn't care for the Draccus section whatsoever.

You could also look at how the framing narrative acts as a justification for the inherent flaws in the chronicle itself. Bad pacing? It's Kvothe's story! Time moves too quickly? Kvothe's story. Characterization flaws? Kvothe's story--and wait for the third book.

I don't know what more I can say than that the book is a mess.

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien
FFS

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cheapassgames/tak-a-beautiful-game?ref=thanks_tweet

3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

Not to derail, but has anyone tackled the issue that in the story we are dealing with a universal omniscient narrator in the framework story and a first person narrative in Kvothe’s chronicle yet? This does not seem problematic on the surface, but you have to keep in mind that the implicit trust awarded the omniscient narrator of the frame story is tacitly being given to Kvothe and his tale as well. There has been no evidence provided by the frame narrator that Kvothe is telling anything less than his version of the literal truth. If Rothfuss was going to make Kvothe an unreliable narrator for his own tale, the omniscient narrator would have to have given the audience a hint as to the deception already. For example, Rothfuss plays with the universal omniscience a little by having Kvothe attempt some type of magic and fail to produce a result at the tavern early in the framework narrative, but this does not mean Kvothe would be incapable of doing what he claims to have done in the past. Quite simply, an inability to perform magic in his present does not preclude his ability to do so in the past by any information that has been given in the text thus far. Much like having a missing limb in the present does not mean you have always been without the limb. Consequently, Kvothe’s ability to perform magic at the tavern is perfectly in-line with the myths and stories presented in the text. As a result, there is no dramatic irony in the framework as nothing the audience knows in the present contrasts the version of the past that has been given in the chronicle. Without the dramatic irony to explicitly contrast the audience of the framework story from the audience of chronicle story, the implication is that each story holds an equal amount of objective truth.

Now, of course, Rothfuss could try to undermine the implication of truth by having a grand reveal that Kvothe (or should I say Kote?) has been lying all along, but as the audience has been given no evidence of that thus far, it would be a cheap plot twist. Like a good mystery story should give you evidence of who the killer is in the text before the reveal, a good unreliable narrator story should give you reasons in the text to doubt the story you are reading. There have been no moments of doubt provided yet. Contrast this with Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales where the framework is the Chaucer the character providing, either through speech or through writing, his version of another character’s version of a story. As such, we have no reason to believe any of the stories in the Canterbury Tales are literal truths. In fact, the unreliability of the tales emphasizes the humor or fantastical nature of each tale. Chaucer the author uses the framework to re-emphasizes the tone of the Canterbury Tales and the individual stories within it as well. Rothfuss uses his framework narrative to merely reemphasize the truth of Kvothe’s tale.

So I believe part of the issue people have with Rothfuss’s books is that he is using a literary device that readers frequently see used with unreliable narrators or narratives, but there is no reason to believe Kvothe is unreliable. In fact, I highly doubt that Kvothe will be revealed as an unreliable narrator—biased, yes, but not unreliable. Keep in mind that Kvothe’s bias in his stories do not make what he is saying false, it is just his version of truthful events. The question becomes, then, what does the framework narrative do in the novel(s)? It seems reasonable to assume that the framework is there to act as a meditation on myth-building and/or storytelling in general. Moreover, the implicit truth of the framework could be used as an ironic contrast to the lies and falsehoods of mythology or storytelling.

The problem, then, is the framework only reinforces the truth of each myth about Kvothe instead of contrasting what is true with what is not. At no point does the audience of Kvothe’s chronicle (Bast and Chronicler thus far) bring up many, if any, contrasting myths about Kvothe. Say, for instance, that the myth of Kvothe’s early teen years could be he studied naming in a faraway land, but the reality is he struggled as a homeless youth in Tarbean. None of Kvothe’s stories undermine the myths about him; they simply re-emphasize that the myth is true and bring to light exactly how the myth is true. The narrative seems a bit one-note then as things are true about Kvothe and there is little to no conversation or discussion about what is untrue or why that truth is important beyond just being true. A story about the dialect of truth and untruth would provide some discourse to the larger narrative for readers to ponder over, but instead what is left is a treatise on how myths can be made to be true.

It is not quite unlike the problem with Sanderson’s magic systems. He tells you how they work then shows you how they can be used. But if you are not interested in how they work in the first place, you won’t be interested in what they can do either. For Rothfuss’s narrative, he tells us there are these myths about Kvothe and he shows you how these myths are actually true in a sense. But if you are not terribly interested in Kvothe’s myths to begin with, then you will not be interested in how the myths are made true. The result is that the overall story is weaker or different than what some people expected. Instead of using a framework narrative to explore how myth-building works or what it means to be a living mythological figure, the framework only emphasizes Kvothe’s power and importance; and that can seem a bit hollow narratively to some.

Fake edit: I am not saying the books are good or bad; and I’m not saying you should or should not enjoy them. I am merely pointing out that the author does not use the story’s framework device well.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Nifty. I know tak was loosely inspired by Go, I wonder how much it'll playtime it in practice.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Kingkiller the breakfast cereal! Kimgkiller the flamethrower!

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Popularity resulting in a erosion of editorial control is definitely a thing that exists, and one of the most commonly tossed-around complaints directed at Martin. The first three books in Ice and Fire are pretty focused and tightly plotted for what they are, but it feels like he was pretty much allowed to do whatever from 4 onward, with fairly disappointing results

That doesn't explain these books though

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

3DHouseofBeef posted:

Fake edit: I am not saying the books are good or bad; and I’m not saying you should or should not enjoy them. I am merely pointing out that the author does not use the story’s framework device well.

It feels like he's doing something smart with the framing story even if he really isn't when you examine it. That's the whole trick of these books, really. He can emulate the texture of good stories even if he isn't actually writing one himself, and apparently texture is enough for a lot of people. See also pretty much every example of his prose brought up in this thread

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Kingkiller the breakfast cereal! Kimgkiller the flamethrower!

Personally I'm holding out for the Official Kingkiller Luthier.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off
Kingkiller the currency conversion kit! Spend hours as a Cealdish moneylender, or hyper-talented broke University student, counting your funds in a dozen incompatible numismatics.*

*Not actual Gold/Silver

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Didn't they already make jots?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Solice Kirsk posted:

Didn't they already make jots?

And I think a very very very limited quantity of silver talents. Might have only been one or two.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So as scarce as they are in the first book!

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I can't wait for Lamps to get around to the Felurian.

I wonder which will take longer, that or the completion and release of Book 3.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"I moved from Like Pad On Still Water to Whispered Grass Through Wind."

Basically anytime he made up stupid loving names for unimportant bull poo poo pissed me off. So really anytime he tried to describe sex, magic, fighting.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

spoiler alert: the name of the wind is Dave, and he's high as gently caress

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Solice Kirsk posted:

"I moved from Like Pad On Still Water to Whispered Grass Through Wind."

Basically anytime he made up stupid loving names for unimportant bull poo poo pissed me off. So really anytime he tried to describe sex, magic, fighting.

Robert Jordan did this to describe his sword fighting forms and it was pretty effective.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

Robert Jordan did this to describe his sword fighting forms and it was pretty effective.

He at least put vague descriptions in, and the names were a lot more intuitive.

Sheathing the Sword owned every time.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Going back to Elderberry, the last chapter of Wise Man's Fear, it's a good example of the weaknesses of Rothfuss and modern fantasy in general.

The point of the chapter is to make Bast look badass. And when I say 'look', I'm being literal: Rothfuss does his best to visualize how cool and terrifying Bast through a cinematic effect.

quote:

It began to rain again, a gust of wind spattering heavy drops against Bast’s face. His eyes were dark and intent. There was another gust of wind that made the end of the branch flare a brilliant orange.
The hot coal traced a glowing arc through the air as Bast began to point it back and forth between the two men, chanting:

Barrel. Barley.
Stone and stave.
Wind and water.
Misbehave.

Bast finished with the burning branch pointing at the bearded man. His teeth were red in the firelight. His expression was nothing like a smile.

But these quick "cuts" only works in a visual medium, and not in a realistic novel.

This is the exact effect Rothfuss is going for and fails to achieve because he can't take advantage of the strengths of the novel:

(from Takemitsu Zamurai by Issei Eifuku)

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

3DHouseofBeef posted:

Not to derail, but has anyone tackled the issue that in the story we are dealing with a universal omniscient narrator in the framework story and a first person narrative in Kvothe’s chronicle yet? This does not seem problematic on the surface, but you have to keep in mind that the implicit trust awarded the omniscient narrator of the frame story is tacitly being given to Kvothe and his tale as well. There has been no evidence provided by the frame narrator that Kvothe is telling anything less than his version of the literal truth. If Rothfuss was going to make Kvothe an unreliable narrator for his own tale, the omniscient narrator would have to have given the audience a hint as to the deception already. For example, Rothfuss plays with the universal omniscience a little by having Kvothe attempt some type of magic and fail to produce a result at the tavern early in the framework narrative, but this does not mean Kvothe would be incapable of doing what he claims to have done in the past. Quite simply, an inability to perform magic in his present does not preclude his ability to do so in the past by any information that has been given in the text thus far. Much like having a missing limb in the present does not mean you have always been without the limb. Consequently, Kvothe’s ability to perform magic at the tavern is perfectly in-line with the myths and stories presented in the text. As a result, there is no dramatic irony in the framework as nothing the audience knows in the present contrasts the version of the past that has been given in the chronicle. Without the dramatic irony to explicitly contrast the audience of the framework story from the audience of chronicle story, the implication is that each story holds an equal amount of objective truth.

Now, of course, Rothfuss could try to undermine the implication of truth by having a grand reveal that Kvothe (or should I say Kote?) has been lying all along, but as the audience has been given no evidence of that thus far, it would be a cheap plot twist. Like a good mystery story should give you evidence of who the killer is in the text before the reveal, a good unreliable narrator story should give you reasons in the text to doubt the story you are reading. There have been no moments of doubt provided yet. Contrast this with Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales where the framework is the Chaucer the character providing, either through speech or through writing, his version of another character’s version of a story. As such, we have no reason to believe any of the stories in the Canterbury Tales are literal truths. In fact, the unreliability of the tales emphasizes the humor or fantastical nature of each tale. Chaucer the author uses the framework to re-emphasizes the tone of the Canterbury Tales and the individual stories within it as well. Rothfuss uses his framework narrative to merely reemphasize the truth of Kvothe’s tale.

So I believe part of the issue people have with Rothfuss’s books is that he is using a literary device that readers frequently see used with unreliable narrators or narratives, but there is no reason to believe Kvothe is unreliable. In fact, I highly doubt that Kvothe will be revealed as an unreliable narrator—biased, yes, but not unreliable. Keep in mind that Kvothe’s bias in his stories do not make what he is saying false, it is just his version of truthful events. The question becomes, then, what does the framework narrative do in the novel(s)?

You mean like the only witness correcting him in his description of Denna?

• Locked thread