Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Lord Twisted posted:

What have you been using for troops? Two tacticals in a drop pod?

I'm thinking of using the deep strike logistic special character, mor deythan in a rhino, 2 tacs in pods, Melta SS in pod, plasma SS in pod, 2 Deathwind and a Primaris so far. Then probably flavour with some dark furies or destroyers

It sounds like a good base, though I've been much more impressed with larger infiltrating squads of tac marines. It also lets you get Alvarex Maun on the ground so you can take advantage of the no-scatter bubble.

At 2500 points, I've taken (in order of deployment):

Mortis Contemptor with twin Kheres and Havoc Launcher. This is what I deploy on the table during the "regular" deployment phase.

When infiltrators are deployed, I drop down:
6 Mor Deythan with combi-flamers in a Rhino
20 man Tactical blob with extra combat weapons and Alvarex Maun.

Alvarex Maun provides an 18" no-scatter bubble, so I try to put the tac blob somewhere central and useful. The CC weapons on the tactical blob have made them superstars in the large number (2) of games I've played.

Then I have 6 drop pods, 3 of which will come down round 1.

10 Tacticals in a Drop Pod
5 Support (4 meltas, 1 combi-melta) in a Drop Pod
5 Support (4 plasma, 1 combo-plasma) in a Drop Pod
Contemptor with dreadnought CC weapon, chain fist, and 2 meltas in a Dreadnought Drop Pod
5 Cataphractii Terminators (with a mix of chain fists, combi-meltas, and a Sgt. with lightning claws and a grenade launcher) in a Dread-claw
Aforementioned frag launching Deathstorm

The support units, dreadnought, and terminators have all been fantastic thus far. The flexibility of being able to choose which enemy units get shot with plasma or melta, and when they get it, has allowed for some really decisive strikes. Usually the dreadnought and terminators will be in the first drop, as they need the extra round to get ready for close combat.

Then I also take a unit of 8 or so Dark Furies. Through failed charges and late reserves they've done absolutely nothing thus far, but they look intimidating as all get out and draw a lot of enemy fire when they show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

muggins posted:

It's a picture out of my book 6,lol
You're right, they do have it for some reason. It's just not presented like your picture. Did you crop in the Rite of Command rule text? It threw me off.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Germ posted:

It sounds like a good base, though I've been much more impressed with larger infiltrating squads of tac marines. It also lets you get Alvarex Maun on the ground so you can take advantage of the no-scatter bubble.

At 2500 points, I've taken (in order of deployment):

Mortis Contemptor with twin Kheres and Havoc Launcher. This is what I deploy on the table during the "regular" deployment phase.

When infiltrators are deployed, I drop down:
6 Mor Deythan with combi-flamers in a Rhino
20 man Tactical blob with extra combat weapons and Alvarex Maun.

Alvarex Maun provides an 18" no-scatter bubble, so I try to put the tac blob somewhere central and useful. The CC weapons on the tactical blob have made them superstars in the large number (2) of games I've played.

Then I have 6 drop pods, 3 of which will come down round 1.

10 Tacticals in a Drop Pod
5 Support (4 meltas, 1 combi-melta) in a Drop Pod
5 Support (4 plasma, 1 combo-plasma) in a Drop Pod
Contemptor with dreadnought CC weapon, chain fist, and 2 meltas in a Dreadnought Drop Pod
5 Cataphractii Terminators (with a mix of chain fists, combi-meltas, and a Sgt. with lightning claws and a grenade launcher) in a Dread-claw
Aforementioned frag launching Deathstorm

The support units, dreadnought, and terminators have all been fantastic thus far. The flexibility of being able to choose which enemy units get shot with plasma or melta, and when they get it, has allowed for some really decisive strikes. Usually the dreadnought and terminators will be in the first drop, as they need the extra round to get ready for close combat.

Then I also take a unit of 8 or so Dark Furies. Through failed charges and late reserves they've done absolutely nothing thus far, but they look intimidating as all get out and draw a lot of enemy fire when they show up.

Brilliant, thanks. The idea of a 20 man CCW squad is attractive... Hard to get rid of and quite fluffy for RG. You do realise you can take just straight 5 special weapons in those support squads? The sarge doesn't need a combi.

I think a single Deathwind and use the points to take a 20 man tac squad and I'll have a decent core. Once I've finished my Salamanders I'll get properly list hammering. Any pics of your dudes?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Safety Factor posted:

You're right, they do have it for some reason. It's just not presented like your picture. Did you crop in the Rite of Command rule text? It threw me off.

Yeah sorry I added in the rule for those who don't know it to try to cut down on confusion. It just seems weird

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Not really, I think support officer is a rule they throw in when they don't want to see either 3 of a given HQ or splashed in with an allied detachment, primus medicae comes to mind. RoC is the "not a master of the legion" but can take command squads and RoW rule right? I don't have my book in front of me.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
They do have rites of war and they can be the warlord, that's why I cropped it into the picture

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
So I've been collecting Death Guard for a while now and finally decided I'd actually try running a 30K list. This is built ust with the red Legionas Astartes books so I don't have the newest errata handy. It's alos built based on what models I already have painted.

Fear The Reaper - Legiones Astartes Crusade Army List - 1999p

Rite of War: Pride of the Legion
Legiones Astartes (Death Guard)

HQ 1 - Praetor Malchuriel - 182p
Legion Praetor with Cataphractii Terminator Armor, Combi-Melta, Chainfist, Grenade Harness, Digital Lasers

HQ 2 - the Oathsworn - 235p
5 Deathshroud Terminators with Melta Bombs

TRP 1 - the Cleansing - 407p
10 Cataphractii Terminators with 2 Heavy Flamers, 2 Chainfists, 7 Power Fists, a Power Maul, a Combi-Plasma

TRP 2 - the Hand of Death - 260p
5 Cataphractii Terminators with 10x Dual Lightning Claws, Grenade Harness

EL 1 - Ancient Charon - 180p
Contemptor-Mortis with Dual Kheres Assault Cannon

HS 1 - the Unbowed Son - 200p
Sicaran Battle Tank with Dozer Blade, Armored Ceramite, Lascannon Sponsons

HS 2 - the Reaping Hunter - 230p
Fire Raptor Gunship with Reaper Batteries, Hellstrike Missiles

HS 3 - the Silence Inevitable - 305p
Land Raider Phobos with Armored Ceramite, Dozer Blade, Multi-Melta, Frag Assault Launchers

Sometimes the only solution to a problem is a complete and utter lack of anything resembling subtlety, and the Death Guard never did subtle. Everything except the Fire Raptor starts on the table, and forms this slow-moving spearhead of 'gently caress you, renegade' - six inches of a move and firing for full effect. Everything on a 40mm base scores, so I'll likely try and place my objectives midfield and just take over the center of the board. I'm a little iffy on the clawnators but it can't be helped, for now - I'l later likely replace them with shootier terminators with plasma blasters or reaper autocannons, I just don't have the models yet. I love how the Heresy-era cataphractii lightning claws look, but they're so expensive at 30p per man and another 15 for the dual claws.

On the note of point costs, how is the situation with the two Legion big red books? I'm currently using an old PDF as I've been waiting for those revised Legion books to come out.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The Isstvan Campaign Legions book has been replaced with the Age of Darkness Legions book. The Crusade Army List book is due for a refresh later this year and should include, among other things, re-balanced points costs for Assault Marines.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

panascope posted:

The Isstvan Campaign Legions book has been replaced with the Age of Darkness Legions book. The Crusade Army List book is due for a refresh later this year and should include, among other things, re-balanced points costs for Assault Marines.

Thank you. It would figure that of course our game group includes two Dark Angels players and one dude who collects Blood Angels and Space Wolves but we'll worry about that later. I'll put the AoD book on order while waiting for the new CAL book :)

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 19, 2016

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Drake_263 posted:

Thank you. It would figure that of course our game group includes two Dark Angels players and one dude who collects Blood Angels and Space Wolves but we'll worry about that later. I'll put the AoD book on order while waiting for the new CAL book :)
Note that the Age of Darkness legion book only covers the legions up to the Ultramarines. The older ones got a few updates here and there too.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Drake_263 posted:

Tell them to play better legions.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Did, now nobody plays Iron Warriors anymore :(

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
*Perturabo Intensifies*

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Drake_263 posted:

Did, now nobody plays Iron Warriors anymore :(

Emperor's Children are where it's at soz

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

TTerrible posted:

Does anyone bothing paying for the extra close combat weapon on tactical blobs? I'm running Imperial Fists so I don't really want them in combat anyway.

260pts for a 20man squad with a vexilla, the extra attack boosts them to a round 300. :effort:

If they're going to see combat then it's worth it. If I take big blobs that are in the mid field I almost always give them the extra CC

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Tacticals are so good it isnt even funny.

2 castelax with targeting array, 240 points. :wtc:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I play Dork Angles. Idiots with knives are literally all I have going for my army.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

If they're going to see combat then it's worth it. If I take big blobs that are in the mid field I almost always give them the extra CC

I'm not really sure what to do with my tacticals in 30k so I guess they will see midfield and combat. :shrug:

I feel like if I'd never play 40k I'd adjust to 30k easier.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I am putting CCWs on my Tacticals because it suits the EC play style. Not every legion probably should do it though, like I'm not sure about Imperial Fists because they already have great bolter rules and maaaaybe you don't want to be in CC.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

I am putting CCWs on my Tacticals because it suits the EC play style. Not every legion probably should do it though, like I'm not sure about Imperial Fists because they already have great bolter rules and maaaaybe you don't want to be in CC.

Imperial fists absolutely don't want to be in CC. Their rules bonus shooting and siege warfare.

That said, having a dedicated CC unit like assault marines that can be used to intercept an opponent's CC unit to keep your shooting unit out of CC isn't a bad use of points. 6-10 assault marines with a chaplain or champion can tie up a unit of dedicated CC for a turn or more.

Assault from an odd angle and try to spread out such that consolidation has to occur in a direction away from what you want to protect. It can offset some of the D3" of movement when coming out of CC.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Recoome posted:

This is the thing, I do not want to be in combat at all but for 40pts a squad is the extra 20 attacks a deterrent? I need to play more games and work out how to use the army properly. I also need lots of artillery.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I think the deterrent should be eating a whole bunch of super-accurate bolter shots.

To continue this hypothetical, having an Imperial Fists tactical squad with CCWs isn't going to deter me from charging with my Emperor's Children, because I'm fairly confident that I would be able to gently caress up that squad in CC more often than not (and that's just vanilla EC rules, not considering the RoW where everyone gets Sonic Shriekers). The 40pts ends up being wasted in this scenario because your mans die before they get attacks off and a few of them are probably fighting at -1 WS.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

koreban posted:

Imperial fists absolutely don't want to be in CC. Their rules bonus shooting and siege warfare.

Counterpoint. Bonuses in challenges for everyone, Sigismund and his Templars, or Dorn's +D3 to combat resolution.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Recoome posted:

I think the deterrent should be eating a whole bunch of super-accurate bolter shots.

To continue this hypothetical, having an Imperial Fists tactical squad with CCWs isn't going to deter me from charging with my Emperor's Children, because I'm fairly confident that I would be able to gently caress up that squad in CC more often than not (and that's just vanilla EC rules, not considering the RoW where everyone gets Sonic Shriekers). The 40pts ends up being wasted in this scenario because your mans die before they get attacks off and a few of them are probably fighting at -1 WS.

Ok, cool. That makes sense, I was thinking about objectives and such and not allowing them to get tied up. I just need to throw more bodies on the field.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

TTerrible posted:

Does anyone bothing paying for the extra close combat weapon on tactical blobs? I'm running Imperial Fists so I don't really want them in combat anyway.

260pts for a 20man squad with a vexilla, the extra attack boosts them to a round 300. :effort:

Without ATSKNF 30k marines run like rabbits when chopped up by anything decent in close combat. If your legion has decent CC benefits charging with your tacticals can be effective.
Personally I don't bother for fists but there is at least one situational benefit I can think of. Fists are stubborn when fighting from fortifications and defensive walls so taking a charge would likely result in a melee grind for a few turns. The extra attacks may save your bacon especially if your opponent is banking on sweeping advance with smaller CC squads for anti-tactical duty. Of course if they aren't you've wasted points better spent of more fortifications and firepower.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I agree with Hencoe. Fists got wee nerf in the latest book, but they're still packing more formidable tactical squads than most thanks to both melee and shooting perks. Tactical squads want to be blowing loads of bolters every other turn and running into better positions when reloading. It really depends on your legion and list though.

TTerrible posted:

I'm not really sure what to do with my tacticals in 30k so I guess they will see midfield and combat. :shrug:

I feel like if I'd never play 40k I'd adjust to 30k easier.

From my 30k in 40k experience I'd say tactical squads perform better in 40k. Most people have never seen seas of marines who can shoot bolters twice. In more mature 30k metas people expect lots of marine bodies and know how to deal with it.

There's a number of ways you can build an army. Lately I'm focused on getting the most out of each of my units instead of treating them as a tax, so I'm biased towards that. The bottom line though is that, for most legions, one the biggest questions is "what do I do about my troops". It costs a lot to make them useful and they are one of the weaker choices in your list. So do you treat them like a tax, run a ROW that avoids them, or invest in them? No wrong answers here, but again, it depends on what your want to do with your army.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I've borrowed book 3 from a friend, so I was working on the assumption that the latest fists rules are the ones on p266-273 in that. What changed in book 6? I'll have to grab that too. Trying to work out what the latest rules are for stuff in 30k is absolutely maddening. :argh:

My entire army is based off a big pile of BaC tactical kits right now. My model pool is:

2x 20 man tactical squads, all armed identically with bolters

1x 5 man heavy support squad w/ heavy bolters

1x 5 man heavy support squad w/ missile launchers

1x 5 man tactical support squad w/ magnetised wrists so they can take plasma/melta/flamer but I've only ever run plasmas.

1x deimos rhino for the tactical support squad

1x sicaran

1x xiphon

I've only played pure 30k against a small mechanicum force based around mostly thallax cohorts with some bigger robits in support, otherwise it's been against 40k marine forces. I've struggled to hold enough objectives in 40k because I've got two giant blobs instead of four tactical squads. Tank hunters on the heavy supports has been really, really good to me.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

I'm not seeing any changes to legion rules in book 6, but Its a big book. I'm not seeing changes in the faq page either. I can only assume things have changed in the new legion redbook with no errata to the old one which is 95-98% the same.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

It's the legion red book, instead of rerolling all failed hits in a challenge it's rolls of 1. Makes the master crafted on the solarite gauntlet more useful.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Did they mess around with stubborn in fortifications? 1d4CHAN says it's immune to pinning in fortifications and ruins.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Bahahaha. This is awesome. Here is my Praetor, a Lodgemaster of the World Eaters. He's the only one in the army to wear the mark of khorne openly - not a symbol of the god exactly, but a symbol of the lodge. I decided my army is set during the shadow crusade, during the apotheosis of Angron, so the influence of the demon is starting to be felt. (some cleanup on this guy left to do)

He's pulled from three kits. A mk2 assault marine, a world eaters rampager, and a world eaters berserker. He'll be jumping into battle with my excoriator rampagers. Super happy with how he turned out. Probably won't paint any of these guys until they are all assembled and modified.

I'm actually really excited by this mold-hole in the jump pack. It's in the perfect place to touch up with some typhus corrosion and turn into a rusted bit of battle damage.

For this army, I'm mixing in a few lodge symbols like the eightfold star on the Red Butchers' land raider. That land raider has hooks over the side doors, across which I'll pull taught some chains (from hobby chain / necklace chains). The World Eaters realized that enraged Red Butchers are as likely to batter down the lateral hatches as they are run down the assault ramp and if they go out the side doors they might start killing their own guys. The Mechanicum figured out they could put adamantium chains on the side doors to discourage "non-tactical forays". I also put some modest spikes over the lascannons and the coupula to prevent over zealous butchers from climbing up and attacking the crew compartments. It's like chaos-lite, as you might imagine a midway step from a legion land raider to a 40k chaos landraider might be. Initially functional modifications that ultimately become more about ostentatious worship after the retreat into the eye.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 20, 2016

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DeadGame posted:

Bahahaha. This is awesome. Here is my Praetor, a Lodgemaster of the World Eaters. He's the only one in the army to wear the mark of khorne openly - not a symbol of the god exactly, but a symbol of the lodge. I decided my army is set during the shadow crusade, during the apotheosis of Angron, so the influence of the demon is starting to be felt. (some cleanup on this guy left to do)

He's pulled from three kits. A mk2 assault marine, a world eaters rampager, and a world eaters berserker. He'll be jumping into battle with my excoriator rampagers. Super happy with how he turned out. Probably won't paint any of these guys until they are all assembled and modified.

I'm actually really excited by this mold-hole in the jump pack. It's in the perfect place to touch up with some typhus corrosion and turn into a rusted bit of battle damage.
This dude is rad as gently caress. Good job.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
That is a loving awesome mini, wowzer.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

TTerrible posted:

That is a loving awesome mini, wowzer.

Mark 2 jump packs are the best. So much more character than the other ones. They don't make as much tactical sense as the lower profile jump packs that come later, but they look really mean on traitors.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
DeadGame that guy owns. Really glad to have a World Eater in our extended group.

I think we have a grand total of 2 loyalist players in the Washington area. Everyone else plays the cool legions.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Wierd. In denmark we have more loyalist players. Everyone wants to be the good guys.

On another note, what do you guys prefer when it comes to point sizes in strike forces? Im thinking 350+200 point leaders, min 2.

Im also thinking of doibg away with the cortex controller rule for our mech players. Thoughts?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Hello there, you saucy little veteran torsos.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

DJ Dizzy posted:

Wierd. In denmark we have more loyalist players. Everyone wants to be the good guys.

On another note, what do you guys prefer when it comes to point sizes in strike forces? Im thinking 350+200 point leaders, min 2.

Im also thinking of doibg away with the cortex controller rule for our mech players. Thoughts?

I haven't written ours yet, but I'm borrowing ideas from the Tactical Strike rules at adepticon:
http://adepticon.org/wpfiles/2015/HorusHeresyTacticalStrike.pdf

They disallow models with a toughness higher than 5 and more than 3 wounds. I don't think there's any automata that fit that criteria, so the cortex controller rules will never come in to play.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Has anyone heard if the new Space Marine psychic powers are intended to be used with HH yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I believe they reference Codex: Space Marines so probably not.