Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Lot of scrubs in this thread who apparently haven't seen The Quiet American. Goddamn, Brendan Fraser is good in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

The angels thing I can understand. They didn't believe they were real because books and poo poo specifically said they weren't. But, yeah, after that the books go out the window.

What, so they just thought that yeah sure demons are real but angels were make believe? If literal demons from hell are a thing why the gently caress is your reaction to an angel to just assume it doesn't exist? That makes even less sense than thinking Frankenstein's Monster is fake after all those wacky adventures.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Len posted:

Supernatural Season 10. The brothers have both been to hell, heaven, stopped the apocalypse, killed Death, and done all sorts of other ridiculous power creepy things. But Frankensteins? Those can't be real!

I think it's reached the point where they've seen so much poo poo that if they haven't heard of it by now, they can't believe it's real.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Monkeybone is good.

Bedazzled is good.

Fraser is good. He is in many movies that are not good, but he is good.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jedit posted:

I think it's reached the point where they've seen so much poo poo that if they haven't heard of it by now, they can't believe it's real.

But on the flip side they keep finding out more and more ridiculous things exist. Season 11 isn't on Netflix but from what I gather it's them fighting a force that's even more powerful than God. A Frankenstein is so much less ridiculous than that

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Not really more powerful, equal I think, but God hosed off to do whatever, so yeah.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Joey Freshwater posted:

Brendan Fraser is a poor man's Nathan Fillion.

I'm rationally irritated by this post.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sassassin posted:

I'm rationally irritated by this post.

I'm rationally irritated by the thought that anyone could be considered an inferior copy of Captain Cardboard. It's like saying someone is an inferior copy of Sam Worthington, who in the Clash of the Titans remake achieved the unique feat of being less realistic than his own action figure.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Brendan Fraser is not a very good actor. He is a great overactor though.

Slime posted:

What, so they just thought that yeah sure demons are real but angels were make believe? If literal demons from hell are a thing why the gently caress is your reaction to an angel to just assume it doesn't exist? That makes even less sense than thinking Frankenstein's Monster is fake after all those wacky adventures.

In the show angels hadn't made an appearance on Earth for thousands of years until season 3 or whatever.

Len posted:

But on the flip side they keep finding out more and more ridiculous things exist. Season 11 isn't on Netflix but from what I gather it's them fighting a force that's even more powerful than God. A Frankenstein is so much less ridiculous than that

I haven't seen the episode, but I can see having trouble believing something from a novel is real.

But they've met Dorothy Gale, so...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Slime posted:

Well, they've seen demons, they've fought demons, and there's a shitton of lore about demons and how to exorcise them and whatnot.

On the flip side, the last time an angel was seen on earth, Sodom was getting blasted to poo poo and Gabriel was telling Mary she was preggers. After that, squat.

It'd be like if you were walking in the woods, and someone came out and told you they'd seen a unicorn. We know they don't exist, no one has seen them, there's no history of them being seen, but dammit this dude SWEARS it was a unicorn. Would you believe him?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Well, they've seen demons, they've fought demons, and there's a shitton of lore about demons and how to exorcise them and whatnot.

On the flip side, the last time an angel was seen on earth, Sodom was getting blasted to poo poo and Gabriel was telling Mary she was preggers. After that, squat.

It'd be like if you were walking in the woods, and someone came out and told you they'd seen a unicorn. We know they don't exist, no one has seen them, there's no history of them being seen, but dammit this dude SWEARS it was a unicorn. Would you believe him?

If I'd seen mermaids, manticores, dragons and poo poo? Sure. I'd sure as poo poo believe a unicorn could totally exist.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aphrodite posted:

Brendan Fraser is not a very good actor. He is a great overactor though.

He was not overacting in Gods and Monsters, and he was awesome in that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Slime posted:

If I'd seen mermaids, manticores, dragons and poo poo? Sure. I'd sure as poo poo believe a unicorn could totally exist.

Yeah, but what we're saying is that if you'd seen enough weird poo poo to compile an encyclopedia and indeed were living in one of the world's largest occult libraries and hadn't even heard of such a thing, you might think that you knew it all.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Slime posted:

The way I see it is like, someone from the 1700s would be awe struck by our technology, we have instant communication around the globe, we have machines that can drive us far distances faster than a horse and firearms that can fire several hundred times a second as opposed to once every few minutes. And yet, they might be perplexed we don't believe in sentient machines.

When you're an outside observer the spectacular seems like it has no real limit, but when you're immersed in it, you don't necessarily believe in everything, especially if you haven't seen it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not just believing angels can't exist, it's that a whole lot of poo poo has happened by that point that their absence can only mean they don't exist, or are the absolute biggest bunch of dicks in the universe. It does in fact turn out to be the latter, but they don't know that at the time.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Memento posted:

I call it the "Ferris Bueller's Day Off Syndrome"

What I'm saying is that unless you're still 16, Ferris Bueller's Day off is a bad movie. And you're not 16 any more.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off is a loving great movie as long as you stop watching at the float scene and pretend he rode off into the sunset singing Danke Schoen. :colbert: The bit with Cameron killing the car and the pool scene are good too, as is the post-credit scene, but the whole chase-with-Rooney poo poo stopped being entertaining when I was in high school.

Disclaimer: I love stupid terrible 80s movies so this may be biased

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TheKennedys posted:

Ferris Bueller's Day Off is a loving great movie as long as you stop watching at the float scene and pretend he rode off into the sunset singing Danke Schoen. :colbert: The bit with Cameron killing the car and the pool scene are good too, as is the post-credit scene, but the whole chase-with-Rooney poo poo stopped being entertaining when I was in high school.

Also gets a lot creepier with Jeffrey Jones chasing after a high school student.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Hell, the demons live in Hell and some of em don't believe in the Devil because they'd never seen him.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

bobkatt013 posted:

Also gets a lot creepier with Jeffrey Jones chasing after a high school student.

Or Jeffrey Jones getting into that School bus full of 8-year-olds.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Slime posted:

Nah, by that point (where they were all BULLSHIT ANGELS AREN'T REAL) they'd seen vamps, werewolves, demons, some ghosts, witches and zombies. No one (literally no lore) existed on angels other than religious texts because no one had seen em or dealt with them before (hunter wise, meaning the fellow hunters and/or Bobby never mentioned em).

As mentioned before, some demons weren't sure Lucifer existed because they'd been to hell and seen other demons but gently caress, they never saw THE DEVIL himself.

The closest they got to "religious" icons like angels before season 4 was meeting a reaper, and there was a ghost that was haunting a church and telling people it was an angel and to go kill sinners and whatnot. Even that one was a "DUN DUN DUNNNN" episode because it had a pretty bitchin' ending.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If he was in the woods of Siberia, sure.

Angels in Supernatural are basically the Rhinocerous to a traditional angel's unicorn.

The real thing is far less pretty, and far more brutal.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

To drive home the point about angels in the show, at one point one gives one of the brothers terminal late stage stomach cancer for a few minutes so the excruciating pain will shut him up.

Angels are jerks.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ryoshi posted:

To drive home the point about angels in the show, at one point one gives one of the brothers terminal late stage stomach cancer for a few minutes so the excruciating pain will shut him up.

Angels are jerks.

That's pretty funny.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In Supernatural it's amazing how beings of near limitless power seem so helpless all the time.

Also the brothers never shut up

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

EmmyOk posted:

That's pretty funny.

Nah, it's Uriel who's the funniest angel in the garrison. Just ask anybody.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

TheKennedys posted:

I'm always so pissed at the raw deal his sister gets. She gets freaked out by someone breaking into her house while she's alone and calls 911. This is apparently such an outrageous claim that she arrested and held at the police station. Her parents don't care at all that a stalker has been terrorizing their daughter. They're only mad the fine will make it harder to buy Ferris a car. Her lesson in the end is basically: some people are just luckier.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Dr_Amazing posted:

I'm always so pissed at the raw deal his sister gets. She gets freaked out by someone breaking into her house while she's alone and calls 911. This is apparently such an outrageous claim that she arrested and held at the police station. Her parents don't care at all that a stalker has been terrorizing their daughter. They're only mad the fine will make it harder to buy Ferris a car. Her lesson in the end is basically: some people are just luckier.
Ferris is the golden child and she is the rebellious gently caress-up, so nobody believes her

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Slime posted:

I think at some point your human brain has to believe that some stories are just fiction. Because if every monster is real, we be hosed.

It's like in Game of Thrones, when the Night's Watch clearly knows dead men loving rise because of the White Walkers and there are lots of loving White Walkers but might be hesitant to believe there are dragons again or a witch birthed a shadow creature.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

That's pretty funny.

There was a whole thing with one of the early seasons where Dean was going to die and they spend the entire season trying to figure out a way to save him. Then when the angels show up they eventually reveal that Sam and Dean die all the time but the angels just wipe their memories and bring them back to life because they're both necessary for the apocalypse to happen.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

There was a whole thing with one of the early seasons where Dean was going to die and they spend the entire season trying to figure out a way to save him. Then when the angels show up they eventually reveal that Sam and Dean die all the time but the angels just wipe their memories and bring them back to life because they're both necessary for the apocalypse to happen.

The angel also removes Dean from hell after he started torturing people, and that is important for the apocalypse to happen.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
It seems kind of silly to me to believe in demons and hell but not heaven and angels. The existence of one seems to pretty strongly suggest the existence of the other. Sure maybe they've never seen them before, but they run into something else that they've never seen every single week.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

That's actually hilarious and though I've never watched the show, now I kind of want to.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

That's actually hilarious and though I've never watched the show, now I kind of want to.

Seasons 2-5 are actually pretty good. Season 1 is kind of rough because they weren't super sure how things were going to go. Like how in the early episodes they kept making sure to give Sam or Dean a love interest to make sure everyone knew they had a case of the "not gays."

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Like how in the early episodes they kept making sure to give Sam or Dean a love interest to make sure everyone knew they had a case of the "not gays."

Not that that made any difference to the shippers.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Seasons 2-5 are actually pretty good. Season 1 is kind of rough because they weren't super sure how things were going to go. Like how in the early episodes they kept making sure to give Sam or Dean a love interest to make sure everyone knew they had a case of the "not gays."

Season one also had a sort of horror theme to it and future seasons got more goofy with it. So some people get really disappointed by that change.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hang on, I thought they were brothers? They felt that they needed to give them love interests in case people thought two brothers hanging out with each other might be construed as them being gay?

Patattack posted:

Not that that made any difference to the shippers.

I don't understand what this means, but from the context I don't think I want to.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Memento posted:

Hang on, I thought they were brothers? They felt that they needed to give them love interests in case people thought two brothers hanging out with each other might be construed as them being gay?

I don't understand what this means, but from the context I don't think I want to.

Supernatural fans can be dangerously insane like getting one of the actors girlfriends kicked out of a convention by telling security that she was a hooker.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Memento posted:

Short version, "shipping" is creating fantasy relationships between fictional characters, and yes, there are some insane Supernatural fans who are into the Winchesters as a couple. I've heard the term "Wincest" thrown around.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The thing that got me to watch was some Wikipedia page that mentioned The Colt.

It's a gun made by demon hunter Samuel Colt along with a set number of bullets (13 I think?) that can kill anything in existence. It made it sound like a cooler, more important plot point than it ended up being, but I liked the show anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The comments about it in this thread have been very funny but I don't know if it'd actually be funny to watch through. That gun sounds neat though.