Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

PBS Newshour posted:

That A Wing looks pretty much like the old ones, but the paints have been switch around.

I was gonna say I'm happy I at least know what an a-wing is because I played Rogue Squadron, but then I checked the wiki and a-wing is not the one you shoot AT-ATs in the legs with. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
People obviously talk about TFA right now because it's been out less than 6 months. The question is if people are still talking about it a few years down the line.

And I don't even mean 6-7 years from now like Avatar. Say it's 3-4 years from now and we have Episode 8, Episode 9 is out or will be soon, and a few spinoff films have been released. Will people still remember TFA or will it be the Star Wars equivalent of Thor 1?

computer parts fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 19, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Or the Star Wars equivalent of Age of Ultron.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

computer parts posted:

People obviously talk about TFA right now because it's been out less than 6 months. The question is if people are still talking about it a few years down the line.

Not even 6-7 years like Avatar, but like 3-4 years down the line will people still remember it or will it be the Star Wars equivalent of Thor 1?

I will still talk about it, because it has my 2nd favorite lightsaber fight in the entire series in it. After Qui-Gon vs Maul on tatooine in TPM of course.

Portions guy is memeing hard on the UCB podcast world right now too, so I feel like I will be referencing how many quarter portions I both give and receive until I die.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
TFA is gonna be like Star Trek '09. A film that nobody rewatches on purpose.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mechafunkzilla posted:

TFA is gonna be like Star Trek '09. A film that nobody rewatches on purpose.

I own Star Trek '09 and rewatch it occasionally. It's a good, fun movie.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Whoa, let's not get crazy here. TFA was not perfect but it was not a complete mess like that. Though being so close to Marvel means we are probably doomed to see a Whedon Star Wars movie this decade, god help us all.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Star Trek '09 is a really pretty movie, much more so than TFA (which I like). The bits where ships slide past the camera and it's almost an abstract light show are wonderful. Highly rewatchable.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
TFA is gonna be like [insert other JJ space film], heh!

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
My opinions on movies are definitely true for everyone else so there's no reason to discuss further

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jerkface posted:

Who are the people talking about these questions? Whenever I check the star wars tumblr feed its just people raving about Poe, Kylo, Hux, Rey, Finn, & BB-8 :confused:

The question of Rey's parents is, right now, blowing up because of an offhand comment made by JJ Abrams - even though the actual film is about how Rey doesn't have parents and won't ever see them again.

And that's my point: everybody wants a Finn-Poe sex scene, but that's not in the movie either.

This is where we get into the difference between the marketing for the film (plus the informal fanfic-EU that spreads around the film) and the film itself.

thrawn527 posted:

Like, I'm not getting into an argument about if it's good or not, because while I love it, I know you can talk circles around people and I'm just not getting into it. But the argument that it's not popular or well liked is, overall, false. Look at box office receipts (which I seem to remember you using as evidence the prequels were popular a while back, but I'm not trolling through you post history to find it.) Toys are every where. Tons of people bought it to watch again at home. At least for the moment, people really like TFA. It's quite popular.

The result is that people only discuss the film in terms of its box office, and things of the sort. The toys you bought do not appear in the film. The money made by the film does not appear in the film.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Putin is behind it all.

Thanks Sheevladimir Palputin.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The result is that people only discuss the film in terms of its box office, and things of the sort. The toys you bought do not appear in the film. The money made by the film does not appear in the film.

No, they don't. It comes up (which is annoying) but it's not the "only" thing they discuss.

But there is no objective metric to use to show they like the film. Box office receipts won't work. Review scores won't work. Audience scores won't work. (Because all three are very high.) The fact that people bought it to watch at home apparently doesn't mean they like it. They enjoy watching movies they don't like, I guess. Whatever.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Let's discuss TFA.

My favorite character in TFA is Finn, because he had funny lines. I also liked how he decided to become good because evil is bad. Another reason I like him is because I like Han Solo, and Han Solo straight up says, "I like this guy," which pretty much sealed the deal for me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cnut the Great posted:

Let's discuss TFA.

My favorite character in TFA is Finn, because he had funny lines. I also liked how he decided to become good because evil is bad. Another reason I like him is because I like Han Solo, and Han Solo straight up says, "I like this guy," which pretty much sealed the deal for me.

I did not like how nobody stepped in the poopie this time, and I hope this is remedied in Rogue One or Star Wars Episode VIII.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Cnut the Great posted:

Let's discuss TFA.

Actually Finn's first decision was to get the gently caress out of the First Order because he was traumatized on his first field mission. It wasn't to "become good". The movie even makes a joke about this in the "you need a pilot" scene. Finn makes his first friend in life, Poe, but he doesn't actually choose to help Poe. Poe is the pilot and takes them back on-mission despite Finn's protests, then they crash and Poe appears to die. Finn and Rey are both pretty selfish/self-focused (the movie brings this up again in Finn's case when he says he lied to the entire Resistance about why he should go to Starkiller base) and focused on their friends and loved ones, not on "becoming good".

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

I did not like how nobody stepped in the poopie this time, and I hope this is remedied in Rogue One or Star Wars Episode VIII.

I liked how, in the movie where Jar Jar stepped in the poopie, substantive questions about the nature of good and evil were actually addressed, like "Is it better to support a virtuous leader who lacks power, or is better to support a powerful leader who lacks virtue?"

TFA didn't deal with any questions nearly as substantive as this. But at least it had a scene where somebody had to drink the stinky pig water. I laughed my rear end off, because the water probably had gross poo poo in it, but Finn had to put in his mouth and swallow it anyway. Yuck!

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

I liked how, in the movie where Jar Jar stepped in the poopie, substantive questions about the nature of good and evil were actually addressed, like "Is it better to support a virtuous leader who lacks power, or is better to support a powerful leader who lacks virtue?"

Lmao if you think that the loving Phantom Menace asked those questions

Lmao if you think a goofy intentionally camp pulp space operas merit is based on the high school English lit tier questions it asks

Lmao if you think Phantom Menace succeeds on any level, be it as an avenue for incredibly basic "substantive questioning" or as campy pulp space opera

God, if only I had more than one rear end to laugh off

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cnut the Great posted:

Indeed, it is a heavy choice, choosing between stepping in the poopie or drinking the pig water.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

I thought the argument was that TFA wasn't going to be talked about a lot years later?

Anyways, this seems like a rather silly tangent, since none of us are soothsayers and lack of popularity has never stopped people from reading movies. The only thing it seems to be based on is "Disney produces Marvel films, they also produced a Star Wars Film, that means the Star Wars film will end up like early Marvel films".

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

turtlecrunch posted:

Actually Finn's first decision was to get the gently caress out of the First Order because he was traumatized on his first field mission. It wasn't to "become good". The movie even makes a joke about this in the "you need a pilot" scene. Finn makes his first friend in life, Poe, but he doesn't actually choose to help Poe. Poe is the pilot and takes them back on-mission despite Finn's protests, then they crash and Poe appears to die. Finn and Rey are both pretty selfish/self-focused (the movie brings this up again in Finn's case when he says he lied to the entire Resistance about why he should go to Starkiller base) and focused on their friends and loved ones, not on "becoming good".

I agree that's what his characterization ends up being, but it's inconsistent with other parts of the film For instance, why does he refuse to execute the villagers on Jakku? That's the complete opposite of a selfish decision.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
ignore this post

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

cargohills posted:

The engine sounds in the prequels are all great. I have a particular love for the speeders that Obi-Wan and Anakin drive on Coruscant in AOTC.

I don't like them that much. Pretty much all engines in the prequels have some kind of beat frequency wobbling going on. It makes them sound exotic and otherworldly, but also makes them feel like unstable pieces of work, going against their slick look. The battered craft of the OT purr like kittens in contrast.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The pig symbolizes the Finn who would take anything to his own benefit, no matter the source. Finn becomes something more than a pig, struggling to survive, because of relationships with other people. He looks up from the pig water to discover Rey, who will be the source of his transformation. The pig and his water also help reinforce the harsh nature of Jakku: no one will give a man water, he must drink alongside dirty animals to survive. Though the water may be bitter medicine, the poverty of Jakku cleanses. Eventually, such polishing yields skilled, non-cowardly warriors like Rey. The scene talks about Finn, but it is also talking about her.

Cnut the Great posted:

I agree that's what his characterization ends up being, but it's inconsistent with other parts of the film For instance, why does he refuse to execute the villagers on Jakku? That's the complete opposite of a selfish decision.

Because he was being traumatized by the events of that attack and could not continue to contribute. He was failing to function as he should due to mental anguish. "Submit your blaster for inspection" - he was the broken tool, not the gun, but the arrogance of Hux and Phasma is such that they don't think that kind of total conditioning failure is possible.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 19, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

Because he takes the role of Han Solo; he's reluctant to risk his neck, but isn't a cold hearted monster. He doesn't want to murder harmless people, but he also doesn't want to risk his life senselessly to protect harmless people. Which is why he takes the 'cowardly' way out and pretends to shoot them.

Just like Han, Finn undergoes his own arc that results in him willingly 'dying' to protect a harmless person.

Poe visually looks like he takes Han's place, but in reality he's more representative of Leia's role; technically inconsequential, but defiant and representive of the spirit of the rebels/resistance.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I hope Rogue One is better than the last three Star Wars prequels.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

Because he takes the role of Han Solo; he's reluctant to risk his neck, but isn't a cold hearted monster.

You're actually describing C3PO and Jar Jar Binks. FInn is taking their role.

The reluctant hero is Rey.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

GlitchThief posted:

I hope it's better than all of the existing Star Wars movies put together.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

You're actually describing C3PO and Jar Jar Binks. FInn is taking their role.

The reluctant hero is Rey.

When does Jar Jar risk his life for someone he cares about? At best he ends up conscripted into an army, and steps on a tiny robot.

Rey takes from Han, but also primarily draws from Luke, especially in the entire Jakku sequence.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

When does Jar Jar risk his life for someone he cares about?

Jar Jar fights in a war for his planet.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

Because he takes the role of Han Solo; he's reluctant to risk his neck, but isn't a cold hearted monster. He doesn't want to murder harmless people, but he also doesn't want to risk his life senselessly to protect harmless people. Which is why he takes the 'cowardly' way out and pretends to shoot them.

Just like Han, Finn undergoes his own arc that results in him willingly 'dying' to protect a harmless person.

Poe visually looks like he takes Han's place, but in reality he's more representative of Leia's role; technically inconsequential, but defiant and representive of the spirit of the rebels/resistance.

Finn isn't like Han at all. He comes off like a real mensch from the very beginning. He rushes to help Rey when he first sees her being accosted on Jakku, he's constantly trying to grab her hand to lead her to safety, there's this exchange:

quote:

FINN
-- Are you okay?

And that very question touches her -- having never in her
life been asked it.

REY
Yeah.
(extends her hand)
Follow me.

Finn's a decent, caring guy, at least when it comes to people he interacts with personally. There's never a time in the film when he's not like this. Of course, the upshot of all this is that there's pretty much no way anyone in the audience could possibly dislike him (except racists).

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

He's not fighting, as much as experiencing things happening around him.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

This is a really vague and abstract answer. He's fighting to protect his well-being. You even say it yourself; he's fighting for his planet. Of we were to accept this, then the person committing the selfless deed would be the Gunga leader choosing to assist the rest of Naboo.

Cnut the Great posted:

Finn isn't like Han at all. He comes off like a real mensch from the very beginning. He rushes to help Rey when he first sees her being accosted on Jakku, he's constantly trying to grab her hand to lead her to safety, there's this exchange:

Finn's a decent, caring guy, at least when it comes to people he interacts with personally. There's never a time in the film when he's not like this. Of course, the upshot of all this is that there's pretty much no way anyone in the audience could possibly dislike him (except racists).

Him being a decent guy is established early, but he's still unwilling to risk his life; he doesn't prepare to fight an infamous light sword monster because he thinks he'll win. It's a different situation from when he decides to even the odds on Jakku.

This is even contrasted in the opening scenes; Finn decides to pretend to participate in gunning down unarmed villagers, while Poe is so moved that he reveals himself in an effort to punish Kylo.

His Cantina scenes are the most direct comparison; he decides that he doesn't want to get caught up in this, and decides to get a normal job. Han even relates to him and tells him from experience that he's making a poor decision.

None of the characters are direct clones of the OT gang. They're influenced by them but have their own personal quirks and twists. Because that's how generational shifts tend to work.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 19, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

This is a really vague and abstract answer. He's fighting to protect his well-being. You even say it yourself; he's fighting for his planet. Of we were to accept this, then the person committing the selfless deed would be the Gunga leader choosing to assist the rest of Naboo.

They are in fact taking risks to save other people's lives.

But since Jar Jar didn't lunge to save someone specific, that apparently means that he wasn't risking his save others.

This also means that Luke was only fighting for his own well-being during the Battle of Yavin.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

They are in fact taking risks to save other people's lives.

But since Jar Jar didn't lunge to save someone specific, that apparently means that he wasn't risking his save others.

This also means that Luke was only fighting for his own well-being during the Battle of Yavin.

What makes Jar Jar's role in the army more selfless than any other Gunga soldier?

Luke was heroic for fightingin that battle. So were every other fighter pilot, especially those that didn't make it. Luke's characterization does not hinge on being one in a hundred thousand, who is barely (if at all) treated as a target, survives off the sacrifices of others, and whos only accomplishment in this life-threatening battle is stepping on a tiny robot.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Finn is good people

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

THE BAR posted:

He's not fighting, as much as experiencing things happening around him.

General Jar-Jar is a war hero!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

GlitchThief posted:

Thats a tall order. I wouldn't set your expectations so high. It's unlikely its as good s those movies.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I know you're trying to trick me into talking about Star Wars. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

What makes Jar Jar's role in the army more selfless than any other Gunga soldier?

Luke was heroic for fightingin that battle. So were every other fighter pilot, especially those that didn't make it. Luke's characterization does not hinge on being one in a hundred thousand, who is barely (if at all) treated as a target, survives off the sacrifices of others, and whos only accomplishment in this life-threatening battle is stepping on a tiny robot.

They are all equally selfless by in making the same choice. They differ only in the scale of what they achieve.

• Locked thread