Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Corek posted:

Blizzard never patched any of that. Heads and claws and feet and scarves were never 100% drops in vanilla Warcraft back in 2005, no matter who important or logical that may seem.

I cant tell you how many spiders I killed that had no legs or eyes.

And in there was this one quest in feraolas(?) on alliance side that took literally 8 hours to gather for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fojar38 posted:

Ten pages of Warcraft Racism-chat and nobody ever brought up Pygmies?

Their sounds are this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVDreklY_PE

lol i never heard of these guys before jfc

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Groovelord Neato posted:

They show up in two zones and one dungeon as ooga-booga savages who sacrifice people to volcano gods and turn captives into zombies.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Fojar38 posted:

Their sounds are this:

Remind me of Pratchett's Pictsies, which are tiny rowdy Scots.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

If you play a Goblin I think they're one of the baddies you fight once you're marooned on an island.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I completely forgot about pygmies, loving bonkers. Movie will be a good rental if nothing else.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

this drat movie can't get anything right. the tie-in candy is a cherry-cinnamon Mike n' Ike :mad:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I certainly don't think Duncan Jones is looking forward to it.

Why do you say that?

And it doesn't matter if it's poo poo. There will be 3 of them or more because it's warcraft. Just look at the divergent movies. They are utter garbage but there is 3 of them because the books were popular. And if this movie is successful enough (makes a poo poo load of money) they could easily become a mini marvel studios. Diablo move series, starcraft movie series. Maybe even an overwatch movie.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 20, 2016

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Just noticed the composer for this is the same guy who does the music for Game of Thrones. Might have a great soundtrack, at least.

Also re: the use of pygmies as fantasy creatures seems really insane. Do these people not realize that word refers to an actual people?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Holyshoot posted:

And it doesn't matter if it's poo poo. There will be 3 of them or more because it's warcraft. Just look at the divergent movies. They are utter garbage but there is 3 of them because the books were popular. And if this movie is successful enough (makes a poo poo load of money) they could easily become a mini marvel studios. Diablo move series, starcraft movie series. Maybe even an overwatch movie.

The first Divergent also cost $85M. Depending on what Warcraft actually ends up costing (which could easily be between $100M and $150M), the definitions for "low performance" or "poo poo loads of money" could be totally different.

Even super famous IP dies on the vine when the budget's high enough. Fantastic 4 having tons of name recognition didn't do poo poo when the movie was both bad and expensive. In no universe is Warcraft some kind of "too-big-to-fail" property that's guaranteed sequels. And based on how inept the marketing has seemed thus far, I'd honestly be surprised if it earns its money back domestically, let alone becomes some sleeper hit.

All of this is in addition to the fact it looks kind of bad. I sincerely hope I'm wrong...I loving loved the first 2 games when I was a kid. But if it sucks, I hope it's also unsuccessful...seeing a lovely hatchet-job adaptation of Diablo stem from a garbage Warcraft film would depress me so goddamn much.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I certainly don't think Duncan Jones is looking forward to it.

If I were Duncan Jones, I would be looking forward to getting it over with.

Fortunately I'm not Duncan Jones, which means that I haven't made this movie.

Fojar38 posted:

Their sounds are this:

So, when will I be able to play as one of these?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

Why do you say that?

Everyone on the planet thinks it looks like dog doo.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Holyshoot posted:

Why do you say that?

Except this isn't going to happen. This thing is pretty much getting horrible word of mouth before it's even out. In theaters people audibly groan at its trailers. Even my nerdier friends who play WoW have no desire to see it.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

also what the hell is that moustache khadgar is wearing? :captainpop:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm still confused why there are orcs that aren't green (apart from fel red orcs i mean!).

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Green ones are corrupted or something, if I recall my blizz lore.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm still confused why there are orcs that aren't green (apart from fel red orcs i mean!).

All of the Orcs used to be brown, they became green after being exposed to evil demon energy. If you get exposed to enough evil demon energy, you then go from green to red

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Civilized Fishbot posted:

All of the Orcs used to be brown, they became green after being exposed to evil demon energy. If you get exposed to enough evil demon energy, you then go from green to red
I'd like to think there are corrupted Orcs somewhere along that continuum -- too exposed to still be green, not enough yet to be red -- who are yellow or orange.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Civilized Fishbot posted:

metzen is a loving hack fraud.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Picklepuss posted:

I'd like to think there are corrupted Orcs somewhere along that continuum -- too exposed to still be green, not enough yet to be red -- who are yellow or orange.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

About ten years ago someone at Blizzard decided they wanted orcs to be brown so they retconned that in and have been gradually increasing the proportion of orcs that are brown. That doesn't really answer the "why" in a meta sense though.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

It's sad because the CGI stuff looks good by itself but then you have the actual human being in there ruining it

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Groovelord Neato posted:

metzen is a loving hack fraud.

Most of the concept art for all the original -craft games AND Diablo was either him or Samwise. It's kind of what made them stand out among heavy competition. How is he a hack?

But I'm not watching the trailer because I'm not going to see the movie. It woulda been great, say, 12-15 years ago. At this point they're p much striking while the iron is already kitchenware.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There are also grey and white orcs too (the white ones are corrupted by a different thing to the green/red ones).

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It's crazy to me how good the CG effects look and how dire the practical effects are.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

phasmid posted:

Most of the concept art for all the original -craft games AND Diablo was either him or Samwise. It's kind of what made them stand out among heavy competition. How is he a hack? .
Samwise did all the quality work. Metzen's stuff looks like Games Workshop fan art.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

davidspackage posted:

Just noticed the composer for this is the same guy who does the music for Game of Thrones. Might have a great soundtrack, at least.

Also re: the use of pygmies as fantasy creatures seems really insane. Do these people not realize that word refers to an actual people?
I've seen a few Americans mention they didn't realize "gypsies" weren't just fantasy supernatural people, until they first stumbled on an article about us Europeans mistreating them (again). Seems like it'd be even easier to miss the fact that pygmies are real, since I doubt there are that many in the Western world, and it's unlikely they'd be described as specifically pygmies even if they were.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Paolomania posted:

Samwise did all the quality work. Metzen's stuff looks like Games Workshop fan art.

It blew my mind when I first heard Metzen had taken charge of Blizzard. I used to visit an art site hosted by Samwise and Metzen to find wallpapers for my Blizzard obsession. It was called Brothers of the Storm or something like that. Metzen's stuff looked atrocious. Samwise made all the cool poo poo that ended up on the game sites.

It's still up http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 21, 2016

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There are also grey and white orcs too (the white ones are corrupted by a different thing to the green/red ones).

I find the idea that being corrupted by an evil outside force changes the color of your skin problematic.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Donnerberg posted:

It blew my mind when I first heard Metzen had taken charge of Blizzard. I used to visit an art site hosted by Samwise and Metzen to find wallpapers for my Blizzard obsession. It was called Brothers of the Storm or something like that. Metzen's stuff looked atrocious. Samwise made all the cool poo poo that ended up on the game sites.

While indeed I have seen Samwise's stuff everywhere, and the Metzen stuff is obviously the lesser of the two, the Metzen stuff takes me back to the days when I would read and re-read the Warcraft II manual.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Grendels Dad posted:

I find the idea that being corrupted by an evil outside force changes the color of your skin problematic.

It can also cause your beard to grow more skulls.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It can also cause your beard to grow more skulls.

There are also black-skinned orcs, but they're not corrupted by anything.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

While indeed I have seen Samwise's stuff everywhere, and the Metzen stuff is obviously the lesser of the two, the Metzen stuff takes me back to the days when I would read and re-read the Warcraft II manual.

I miss getting video game manuals. drat I'm old :smith:

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Donnerberg posted:

Metzen's art always has this weird slant to all of it that i always found distracting. Like in a little dagger's poking my eyes kind of way.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

phasmid posted:

Most of the concept art for all the original -craft games AND Diablo was either him or Samwise. It's kind of what made them stand out among heavy competition. How is he a hack?

my assumption is the stories in sc2 and diablo3 are so bad due to him. i mostly think retcons are super lazy writing and he loving loves them.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

This gets at the point of why video game movies are often bad: nobody plays games for the story so success as a game has little relation to whether or not there is a good story there. Metzen has made the attribution error since forever of "People love Blizzard games therefore people love my writing in Blizzard games."

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I hope this is like Gods of Egypt, goofy yet sincere. It's like we're having a bit of an 80's renaissance this decade, with cool ideas thrown at the wall. Hardcore Henry, Chappie, Jupiter Ascending, etc. More weird movies are a good thing. I'll see this.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Paolomania posted:

This gets at the point of why video game movies are often bad: nobody plays games for the story so success as a game has little relation to whether or not there is a good story there

I don't think that's it at all, really. People play video games for the story a lot (ever notice the bile coughed up because of the increasingly common, pure-story 'Walking Simulators'?), its just that the Fun Game Parts of the video game don't usually work in movie form. Real actors can't do crazy high-motion c kombat moves. Movies aren't going to pan back to the Command Center to churn out more Basic Warriors for another attack-move to the enemy base as the last wave dies to Defense Cannon. Video game movies are bad because movies and games are different things.

When it comes to Metzen/Blizzard, they are a unique case because they are a big enough company whose products can appeal to both sides of the coin. Yes, people play their games for the story/campaign. I remember (I can't remember if its still true) Blizzard had some data leak out that the vast majority of the people who bought Starcraft 2 played the campaigns, played one of the hey-we're-teaching-you-to-play-online-how-cool-is-that tutorial levels, and went :fuckoff: over multiplayer entirely.

If you're mad about video game writing, remember that we live in a world where the game that gave us an excuse to click on demons was more accepted than some amnesiac corpse talking to people about what can change the nature of a man other assorted drivel.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

When it comes to Metzen/Blizzard, they are a unique case because they are a big enough company whose products can appeal to both sides of the coin. Yes, people play their games for the story/campaign. I remember (I can't remember if its still true) Blizzard had some data leak out that the vast majority of the people who bought Starcraft 2 played the campaigns, played one of the hey-we're-teaching-you-to-play-online-how-cool-is-that tutorial levels, and went :fuckoff: over multiplayer entirely.
The vast majority of in-game time in a SC2 campaign is spent on the cognitive task of playing a RTS. The fact that completing the single player game is vastly more popular than multiplayer has little bearing on what people think of the thin veneer of "story" Blizzard set up to motivate the missions. The same holds true for Warcraft 1-3, and I'm pretty sure people played Diablo more for the frenetic action and OCD loot collecting than the latest recycled story of corruption that plays out in the infrequent cut scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Especially hilarious as every act of Diablo 3 tells that exact same story.

• Locked thread