Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I think the Commander decided to pop some LSD before this mission.
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/282974192953943946/D763D8BD89E09419441207E1F810A0DB9A427F6E/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Most of you probably know about these mods but I wanted to share my two favorite mods in case someone haven't seen them yet:

Uniform Mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=626291285
Let's you design uniforms for specific classes. I absolutely love it considering how I like all my dudes color-coded after their class.

Lifetime Stats: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=634754304
Best feature is that it calculates the "real" %-to-hit based on how lucky/unlucky a soldier was in previous mission.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I've been enjoying A Better ADVENT so far. Recently found my first Splitter-variety Codex. I read about it in the manual thingy they have, but drat. Those things can really get out of hand if you don't deal with 'em fast. Luckily I was able to, but geez. Can clone at will, and regen 2 HP per turn... I also had one particularly unpleasant mission where an ADVENT Gunslinger managed to hit every single one of my (all in cover) soldiers with Faceoff. I was incredibly slow getting predator armor out so I didn't have it yet, and the Gunslinger was one of the first enemies I encountered on this retaliation mission.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone know if there's a proper Training Roulette mod that doesn't give you high rank abilities at low ranks?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Jack Trades posted:

Does anyone know if there's a proper Training Roulette mod that doesn't give you high rank abilities at low ranks?

I dunno, but even in the EU/EW, high rank abilities at low ranks was ABSOLUTELY A thing that could happen.

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.

Jack Trades posted:

Uniform Mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=626291285
Let's you design uniforms for specific classes. I absolutely love it considering how I like all my dudes color-coded after their class.

You can also use this mod to keep your soldiers in tier 1 gear cosmetically, while having the benefits of the higher tier armours.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BlazetheInferno posted:

I dunno, but even in the EU/EW, high rank abilities at low ranks was ABSOLUTELY A thing that could happen.

Really? I must have remembered that wrong then.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Jack Trades posted:

Really? I must have remembered that wrong then.

Yup.

An old run, just went and grabbed a screenshot. Savior, a colonel-level Support perk, at corporal. The highlighted one. Apparently the screenshot didn't grab the popout panel-thing showing its name.

EDIT: Every class has a few perks that are set in stone even with Training Roulette on though, due to interacting specifically with that particular class directly, and are thus also left off the list of potential roulette-abilities. No one wants their Support to get Snap Shot as his Major perk. Snipers and Heavies, I believe, both have both of their colonel-level perks set this way, IIRC. Maybe this is what confused you?

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 18, 2016

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Has anyone found the struct or possibly object definition of context or xcomgamecontext? I feel like understanding it would be useful cuz it comes up in a lot of places. I will somehow look through every instance eventually!

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Bholder posted:

I use this:
https://github.com/aEnigmatic/xcom2-launcher/

It's works for me and it can even show potential conflicts between mods, but I'm not sure how accurate it is, since it was showing me how one mod was conflicting with itself.

How do I run it? There is no exe file.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Did they add new dlc achievement just recently or did I miss them before?

Kennel fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 19, 2016

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

princecoo posted:

How do I run it? There is no exe file.

Click latest release

Kennel posted:

I was about to ask when the new DLC comes out.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kennel posted:

Now that's interesting.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

King Ayy of Lmao

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

fspades posted:

Now that's interesting.

quote:

ALIEN HUNTERS introduces new soldier customizations and gameplay themed around XCOM as an elite alien hunting unit. Face off against “Ruler” aliens with new, more powerful weapons and armor. Experience a new dramatic mission & confrontation. (To be released in Summer 2016)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/426321/

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Bholder posted:

Click latest release

Herp derp thanks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone know how to install non-Steam mods?
I tried installing this one: http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom2/mods/520/?, but it doesn't seen to work for some reason.

I hope that DLC has better customization stuff than Anarchy's Children. That one really didn't fit the game and I ended up disabling it cause accidentally selecting AC parts would gently caress poo poo up.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 19, 2016

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
The fact that the narrative mission's achievement for Alien Hunter is called "A Forbidden Experiment" is....

Well I'm starting to feel like if Shen's Last Gift is going be the Shen Sr.-related DLC, Alien Hunters might be the Vahlen DLC. :V

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
/\/\\/\ Shen's Last Gift is 99% Shen Sr. related. New class, so probably mech/cyborg related.

Jack Trades posted:

I hope that DLC has better customization stuff than Anarchy's Children. That one really didn't fit the game and I ended up disabling it cause accidentally selecting AC parts would gently caress poo poo up.

Yeah, I wish Anarchy had been a little less... punk rock(?) and a bit more desperate/scavanged/cool poo poo.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
If it DOES turn out to be a Vahlen DLC, I will be very pleased.

And honestly, I don't so much mind the punk-rock stuff in AC, as it gave us some stuff I've made good use of. I like the barechest and vest options. Jack just didn't feel like Jack in full big bulky kelvar.

Kinda wish we could use that "glowing visor" option without the muzzle, though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah. Xcom is picking up scraps, but even then, come on. You have to shave your Mohawk and put in some Kevlar. Maybe a ranger could get away with it. I usually set the AC slider all the way left, which usually just means a couple extra pauldrons and maybe jeans instead of combat pants.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The DLC stuff would work better if the whole game was just a bunch of anarchists taking down The Man, but the way the game actually works it all looks incredibly out of place after maybe 3 missions. XCOM is still too much of a paramilitary organization for it to work, even if they are flying around a stolen party bus and blowing up monuments for no reason.

And people. I have learned that there is no such thing as an innocent bystander, even on levels with no faceless.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I kind of assumed the monument exploding mission was the distraction for the commander rescue in the tutorial.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Digirat posted:

The DLC stuff would work better if the whole game was just a bunch of anarchists taking down The Man, but the way the game actually works it all looks incredibly out of place after maybe 3 missions. XCOM is still too much of a paramilitary organization for it to work, even if they are flying around a stolen party bus and blowing up monuments for no reason.

And people. I have learned that there is no such thing as an innocent bystander, even on levels with no faceless.

I feel like xcom is a sort of rag-tag band of misfits to start with and slowly they grow into a more cohesive military unit. Although the existence of your flying fortress kind of blows that out of the water, if you ignore that though, it seems reasonable.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

MF_James posted:

I feel like xcom is a sort of rag-tag band of misfits to start with and slowly they grow into a more cohesive military unit. Although the existence of your flying fortress kind of blows that out of the water, if you ignore that though, it seems reasonable.

nah.

the Avenger is just your A-Team van

AnxiousApatosaurus
Sep 2, 2004

Stylist
I'll agree AC was pretty much made redundant with the wealth of cosmetic mods out there, but I did like how it gave some character to the tier 2 and 3 armors. The base T2 and 3 sets are pretty bland but showing a lot of wear-and-tear along with the poo poo the soldiers painted on them livened them up a bit.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Mzbundifund posted:

I kind of assumed the monument exploding mission was the distraction for the commander rescue in the tutorial.

If memory serves that is indeed the case.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Coolguye posted:

the Avenger Skyranger is just your A-Team van

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I am finding Tactical Skyranger Escapes very handy to save people from being wounded. In a mission where the loot managed to fall in a field of poison, fire, and in view of a turret, I was able to get the loot on the last turn, grenade the turret and extract before the poison did any damage. It leaves you down a person for the rest of the mission but sometimes you can get away with it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Digirat posted:

I am finding Tactical Skyranger Escapes very handy to save people from being wounded. In a mission where the loot managed to fall in a field of poison, fire, and in view of a turret, I was able to get the loot on the last turn, grenade the turret and extract before the poison did any damage. It leaves you down a person for the rest of the mission but sometimes you can get away with it.

That's a good trade off, is this a steam mod? Right now I'm just running a few cosmetic ones and a mod that increases the dark avatar bar.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

No, you can do that maneuver in the vanilla game. You take gradual damage at the beginning of the turn, so if you enter a hazard, pick up the loot, then evac that unit before the next turn starts, they are perfectly fine since the damage didn't tick.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
omg, that's right. I've ignored the evac button in every mission that didn't have a set evac point.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Soonmot posted:

omg, that's right. I've ignored the evac button in every mission that didn't have a set evac point.

I assume you're either really good, or just playing on normal. In classic+, I've had to evac a number of times.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gotta get those elerium cores for my grenade ballpit, no matter the cost

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

many johnnys posted:

I assume you're either really good, or just playing on normal. In classic+, I've had to evac a number of times.

He might mean ignore it as a tactical feature and only use it to mass bug out. Which in all honesty isn't something you need to do all that often. And most of the time I've wanted to, it's a on a council mission so gently caress you the evac is through all the enemies.

That said I've used a tactical withdrawal to keep my dudes out of medbay a fair bit, It's a least a something to help make up for armor being useless for that purpose now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have pretty much never used the evac call button because I am determined to send my men to their slow, uphill sisyphean demise if I start losing a mission. It's what they signed up for!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I have no desire to repeatedly smash my dick in a door, so I stick to normal mode.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Fun fact if your mandatory evacuation point is on a roof and the roof gets blown up you'll get a new one that's probably closer to you. My sample size is only two though.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Bakalakadaka posted:

Fun fact if your mandatory evacuation point is on a roof and the roof gets blown up you'll get a new one that's probably closer to you. My sample size is only two though.

GrenadeCOM wins again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Soonmot posted:

Yeah, I have no desire to repeatedly smash my dick in a door, so I stick to normal mode.

Commander really isn't that bad. I agree that I've been reluctant to go up to Legendary, though.