Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

One thing I don't like about the gimmick fights is the realization. You hit the boss for the first time and do 11 damage and the go "oh it's one of these, time to figure out the solution".

e: hitting Yhorm for the first time and realizing it's puzzle fight was such a bummer

kikkelivelho fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

argondamn posted:

Dark Souls 1 had the easiest bosses.

I think all of them have been a mix of easy and hard bosses.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

kikkelivelho posted:

I thought the tree fight was cool. And I don't usually like From's big blob bosses

It was cool until I spent ten minutes trying to find the final weak point

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I felt the gimmick was good. Cool Demon's Souls callback and it really conveyed just how tough Yhorm is that you can't do poo poo otherwise; appropriate considering he loving killed the flame of chaos, which the player characters in the past two games couldn't manage.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.
What if the real hard boss fight. . . was actually man's inhumanity to man???

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

kikkelivelho posted:

One thing I don't like about the gimmick fights is the realization. You hit the boss for the first time and do 11 damage and the go "oh it's one of these, time to figure out the solution".

I fought Yhorm without the gimmick (not on purpose, I'm just dumb) and it was a fun fight even though it took like 20 minutes. I think it would've been nice if they'd given him maybe just a little more health than a normal boss so you could do it either way (Or maybe make it so the gimmick only takes off his health to the halfway point or something where he goes into phase 2)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Dark Souls 3 PvP is like growing up with alcoholic parents: stop drinkiiiiiiiing :(

Dark Souls 3 PvP is like trying to balance two perfect spheres atop each other: stop rolliiiiiiiiing :(

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Genocyber posted:

I felt the gimmick was good. Cool Demon's Souls callback and it really conveyed just how tough Yhorm is that you can't do poo poo otherwise; appropriate considering he loving killed the flame of chaos, which the player characters in the past two games couldn't manage.

He does? poo poo, man, what item says that

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Genocyber posted:

More than anything it was that momentum killing inventory fumbling, which I guess is a truly proper callback. It would have been better if it automatically equipped. At the very least the thumbnail in your inventory could have been less inconspicuous.

He was still cool looking and the references were neat, as fan servicey as they were.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

The inventory thing was actually easy since I use a mouse lol

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Andrigaar posted:

All this Aldrich talk, and I thought it was just a mistranslation of "Eldritch". A Cthulhu/Lovecraft reference. The guy rests under the water waiting to emerge :shrug:

its eldritch in japanese apparently

i guess they felt that was too on the nose

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So if I allot estus flask to say recover FP instead of HP, can I later reverse it or once they are alloted they are set for life?

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Internet Kraken posted:

Summoning is cheating :colbert:

This is what i keep telling people.
Change the title of the tread so people actually are informed of their heathen beliefs.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Toriori posted:

Is he already sitting off to the side in fire link, selling his wares? Because I had a similar issue and he was in fire link. When you go up to go to the tower, just keep going straight and he might be sitting on the floor.

Why didn't I think of that? Thanks for the assist!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

punk rebel ecks posted:

So if I allot estus flask to say recover FP instead of HP, can I later reverse it or once they are alloted they are set for life?

You can switch them whenever by going back to Andre. Annoying they didn't just let you do it at a bonfire.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Genocyber posted:

actually he's weak to magic and you can kill him super fast just by shooting magic missiles at his head.
there's even a unique stun state for doing so

sounds like those suckers shoulda learned how to shoot a magic missile instead of fireballs

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Good thing I fought Yhorm straight-up first time as a sorcerer and didn't do anything gimmicky like stand really far away shooting projectiles at him. I got the authentic experience and not some silly puzzle fight.

e: beaten by two minutes :frogdowns:

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Dear From I mean this is the nicest possible way, but you are utterly, utterly incapable of making grab attacks that work right. After 5 games of being teleported from behind/to-the-side/across the goddamn room into the enemies grab, I'm over it. Please just stop.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
You know what's great? the Patches squat. I wear the big iron exile mask with that chain hanging off the collar and as many things with spikes or chains as I can, and whenever I get summoned I just squat and don't move until the host is done gesticulating and spinning around in circles - which, of course, goes on for a good 45 seconds. Just finished a fight and host is picking up drops? Squat. Host is running back and forth for no reason or going down dead-end corridors? Squat. Waiting for another summon to beam in? Squat, and then don't move while the two of them communicate in whatever crude way they do. And this always frustrates one of them - the host or the summon - who can't understand why I'm just squatting there looking like a pit fighter in an iron mask. How can he not be rolling around and smashing pots in celebration? They can't stand it. They start with the rolling into me and poking me with their swords and running in circles around me...nope. I'm not gonna do that.

Just squat like a badass. I highly recommend this just so you can see how much it flusters the host. Social experiment. Of course, the better hosts will just sit there with me - which is just as cool. They probably wouldn't even look at explosions.

Oh, and to whomever posted on the Fextralife Wiki about Yhorm being "trivial" when Siegmeyer is with you - bullshit. He got two-shotted before I could even run over to the throne to get the (spoiler) whatzit. That was not as easy as advertised.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the abyss watchers fight might be the easiest in any souls game. or maybe i have too much health

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Viperix posted:

Dear From I mean this is the nicest possible way, but you are utterly, utterly incapable of making grab attacks that work right. After 5 games of being teleported from behind/to-the-side/across the goddamn room into the enemies grab, I'm over it. Please just stop.

I've actually felt that the grabs in this game are a thousand times more fair than, say, Winter Lanterns in Bloodborne, which had a grab hitbox that was utterly terrible.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

This happened today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV_jRqyzQpY

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy
is there m good idea how two handing is treated in this game, with respect to damage and weapon requirements?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Real hurthling! posted:

the abyss watchers fight might be the easiest in any souls game. or maybe i have too much health

This is a sick joke.

It's not terribly difficult but it's not Deacons, Wolnir or Covetous.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

Jia posted:

I've actually felt that the grabs in this game are a thousand times more fair than, say, Winter Lanterns in Bloodborne, which had a grab hitbox that was utterly terrible.

Not arguing that they're not the best so far, but that wasn't a high bar to beat. I may still be upset over the fiasco that was DS2's "hitboxes."

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

MrLonghair posted:

Dark Souls 3 PvP is like growing up with alcoholic parents: stop drinkiiiiiiiing :(

Dark Souls 3 PvP is like trying to balance two perfect spheres atop each other: stop rolliiiiiiiiing :(

Try to teach them not to drink by not drinking if they get me to 50, I get them down and no they drink anyway. Some of them start off okay too but then they get to 5 and they nope out for a sip.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

MrLonghair posted:

hahaha...so true. I don't even mind the amount of rolling so much as the whole immunity to damage simply because "rear end is over elbows" really grinds my gears. It makes no sense and I constantly have to remind myself that this is video game logic.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

That's normal. Just an alternate way into the Demon Ruins.

Edit: oh you're walking on empty space, I get it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I had a similar thing happen where invisible walls started forming around me after I broke some pots and I had to homeward bone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ixiiQd83OU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I roll a ton in pvp because phantom range is even worse in this game than it was in the previous ones somehow.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't realize how you were supposed to fight Yhorm and kind of just shot at him with magic while my co-op buddies blasted him with mega death attacks.

Also are the Mound Makers the goatse covenant or am I just seeing things in this symbol?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Help Im Alive posted:

I had a similar thing happen where invisible walls started forming around me after I broke some pots and I had to homeward bone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ixiiQd83OU

Friends for life now man, it's fate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4egDalBLZlQ

(you could also have gotten out by restarting the game)

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Viperix posted:

I may still be upset over the fiasco that was DS2's "hitboxes."

NO poo poo.

In this game it seems to only happen in PVP, and it could very well just be lag.

Ugh I have got to stop thinking about DS2. It's just going to frustrate me.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

He does? poo poo, man, what item says that

Bits from these three item descriptions.

Profaned Greatsword posted:

Long ago, when Sulyvahn was yet a young sorcerer, he discovered the Profaned Capital and an unfading flame below a distant tundra of Irithyll, and a burning ambition took root within him

The only flame that meets that description is the Flame of Chaos.

Soul of a Demon posted:

Demons were born of the Chaos Flame, but the flame has not survived, and the demons are a dying race.

The Flame of Chaos is gone now.

Cinders of a Lord posted:

Lonely Yhorm became a Lord of Cinder to put the Profaned Flame to rest, knowing full well that those who spoke of him as lord were quite insincere.

Yhorm is the one that did it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I didn't realize how you were supposed to fight Yhorm and kind of just shot at him with magic while my co-op buddies blasted him with mega death attacks.

Also are the Mound Makers the goatse covenant or am I just seeing things in this symbol?

Is it making a mound in your pants when you look at it?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Harrow posted:

And one of them (Anri's) has you get summoned as a phantom to help them fight a boss (Aldrich).

Oh dear. :stare: Do you only get one shot at that? I'd be livid if I messed that up and found out I couldn't give it another chance.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

By the way, if any of you are thinking of grinding Proofs of a Concord Kept by grinding certain enemies... don't. Just don't. The rates are incredibly, insanely low.

I have a flawless method to raise my Item Discovery to a very high four digits, and even then I don't seem to get many.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cyberventurer posted:

Oh dear. :stare: Do you only get one shot at that? I'd be livid if I messed that up and found out I couldn't give it another chance.

You get as many as you need, thankfully.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

your avatar looks like this
https://zippy.gfycat.com/CorruptAltruisticAmericanratsnake.webm
X crotch tree

thought you'd like to know

Pretty much every time it's safe to attack Dancer, it's when she waves her rear end in your direction after a swing. And I did the fight using a whip. The kinkiest boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

Bits from these three item descriptions.

The only flame that meets that description is the Flame of Chaos.

The Flame of Chaos is gone now.

Yhorm is the one that did it.

Curious, that suggests that Yhorm actually...what, linked the first flame to put out the Flame of Chaos? Or he burned himself within the chaos flame to extinguish it? That's a vague sequence of events; Yhorm being responsible for the Flame of Chaos going out is a pretty big event, DLC worthy I'd say.