Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It's amazing to me how many people can't grasp the concept that after working for hours upon hours straight you eventually become a mentally-drained zombie who can't be productive worth poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Augus posted:

It's amazing to me how many people can't grasp the concept that after working for hours upon hours straight you eventually become a mentally-drained zombie who can't be productive worth poo poo.

No. :negative: Working a full-time lower-wage job and balancing mental and physical health issues with a family life is no excuse for me not writing and publishing a 1,500 page breakout best-selling high-fantasy novel and then editing a successful well produced internet series on the side

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 19, 2016

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Augus posted:

PROTESTANT WORK ETHIC, BITCHES!

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I mean it's a really crappy article, but let's keep in mind this guy deciding it needed to be written is proof those ideas are already on the way to the trash can.

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 20, 2016

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Speaking of Hbomberguy, check out his short video on the latest moronic video game scandal (love the little puppets): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozf2hwEOWHE

Along those same lines, a new video from Rantasmo about the transgender character appearing in a Baldur's Gate game and the accompanying "scandal:" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r51IZ2qiq4

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I remember that the ideal number of hours per week working for productivity is actually lower for mental jobs than physical one:something like 35 for mental jobs and 40 for physical ones.

It isn't quite that simple. For instance I work a basically entirely sedentary job and when I was moved from 5 8 hour days to 4 10 hour days my actual productivity improved immensely. Having a three day weekend every week was killer motivational. I don't think this would be the case at all if my job was at all physically taxing, because that extra two hours of work without rest would be tiring as gently caress.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mischalaniouse posted:

Along those same lines, a new video from Rantasmo about the transgender character appearing in a Baldur's Gate game and the accompanying "scandal:" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r51IZ2qiq4

Great video, it's nice to see this addressed because it's an incredibly stupid point that I see parroted over and over again on games websites.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Terrible Opinions posted:

It isn't quite that simple. For instance I work a basically entirely sedentary job and when I was moved from 5 8 hour days to 4 10 hour days my actual productivity improved immensely. Having a three day weekend every week was killer motivational. I don't think this would be the case at all if my job was at all physically taxing, because that extra two hours of work without rest would be tiring as gently caress.

I temped at an Amazon warehouse where four-tens was the regular schedule, and while my position was a lot less strenuous on average than others, I'd say that it's better than five-eights once you get used to it. Three day weekends are great, and the less time commuting the better.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So if four tens is better for even labor jobs why doesn't everywhere do it? It's some hardcore bullshit that only my department is allowed to, and management's reasoning for everyone else having to work five eights is all kinds of meaningless doublespeak.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Well depending on where you live overtime happens after the eighth hour. Why pay 1 guy 2 hours of time and a half when you can split a 10 hour shift between 2 guys and save a collective hour of pay?

E: Really, the vast majority of companies would rather shoot themselves in the foot then to give anyone a dime of OT

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Leal posted:

Well depending on where you live overtime happens after the eighth hour. Why pay 1 guy 2 hours of time and a half when you can split a 10 hour shift between 2 guys and save a collective hour of pay?

E: Really, the vast majority of companies would rather shoot themselves in the foot then to give anyone a dime of OT

Because half of the time overtime is an excuse to substitute paying for work with mobbing. If a company does pay for OT fair and square it means someone has already hosed the schedule on a project up and the situation is beyond talking about monetary efficiency.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 20, 2016

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

So if four tens is better for even labor jobs why doesn't everywhere do it? It's some hardcore bullshit that only my department is allowed to, and management's reasoning for everyone else having to work five eights is all kinds of meaningless doublespeak.

Other good points have been brought up, but one no one's mentioned yet is continuity. Lots of jobs have a need for someone to be around 5 days a week, and would rather that person be the same person. The total hours in a week aren't as important as the coverage across days. In shoddy analogy, being open on Friday is more important than being open until 7 Monday through Thursday.

Basically there's so much inertia behind the 5/2 work week that no one major wants to be the first to go to a 4/3 week and throw themselves out of sync with the rest of the business world.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

LFK posted:

Other good points have been brought up, but one no one's mentioned yet is continuity. Lots of jobs have a need for someone to be around 5 days a week,Basically there's so much inertia behind the 5/2 work week that no one major wants to be the first to go to a 4/3 week and throw themselves out of sync with the rest of the business world.

Not entirely true, restaurants and stores have already moved long away from the traditional 5/2 workweek in the name of efficiency.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
For all my bitching about Noah can he make a review about Big Trouble in Little China?
(He's said that BTiLC is his favorite movie of all time.)

I loving love this movie SO much and at face value it's god awful. Somehow 80's John Carpenter elevates it as one of my favorite things ever too. Since Noah is a critic and is smarter than the masses (lol) I could see him making a thing that is great

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Baka-nin posted:

Huh, I thought you meant the 90's cartoon series,the one with a rather high body count (but only of evil people) and conspicuous early CGI and a weird VR gimmick bolted onto the story.
The original Jonny Quest has a rather high body count too.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

LFK posted:

Other good points have been brought up, but one no one's mentioned yet is continuity. Lots of jobs have a need for someone to be around 5 days a week, and would rather that person be the same person. The total hours in a week aren't as important as the coverage across days. In shoddy analogy, being open on Friday is more important than being open until 7 Monday through Thursday.

Basically there's so much inertia behind the 5/2 work week that no one major wants to be the first to go to a 4/3 week and throw themselves out of sync with the rest of the business world.

What sort of office cares about that and yet doesn't have seven day support? The majority of office businesses I've interacted with have either a full weekend staff or at least a few peeps on call.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Since I was in a Sheakespeare mood, I decided to rewatch Kyle Kallgren's amazing Shakespeare Month videos, and I noticed we're almost at the Aprils 23rd date of Shakespeare's birthday! Are we gonna get another Shakespeare Month this year?

Also the Anonymous review/crushing is still loving amazing.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Since I was in a Sheakespeare mood, I decided to rewatch Kyle Kallgren's amazing Shakespeare Month videos, and I noticed we're almost at the Aprils 23rd date of Shakespeare's birthday! Are we gonna get another Shakespeare Month this year?

Hm?

(looks at the calendar)

OH poo poo!

(runs off to the editing station)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mischalaniouse posted:

Speaking of Hbomberguy, check out his short video on the latest moronic video game scandal (love the little puppets): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozf2hwEOWHE

It's kind of unfortunate all the Buttgate people don't understand how objectifying those kids of poses are (and how it's not all 'equal' between the genders). Then again, I suppose none of them are likely to have seen one A. Sarkeesian's video on this sort of thing. Or if they did they immediately started frothing with rage rather than assimilate the information.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

KKall posted:

Hm?

(looks at the calendar)

OH poo poo!

Take heart!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Hey Jay O, does Anime News Network also cover Manhwa (Korean comics)?

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

MonsieurChoc posted:

KKall posted:

Hm?

(looks at the calendar)

OH poo poo!

Woo! Super excited now!

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Mraagvpeine posted:

Hey Jay O, does Anime News Network also cover Manhwa (Korean comics)?

For the most part, no. They might get a cursory mention in a news item or editorial if relevant, but our coverage is predominantly Japanese comics, animation, video games, and pop culture.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I see that Doug's Batman V. Superman review is out. I'm not going to watch it, but will someone take the bullet to see how it is?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Sage has a new review out, it's for some lovely thing called Strange Love. He doesn't hate it as much as Very Private Lesson but it's still a pretty cringeworthy OVA

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I see that Doug's Batman V. Superman review is out. I'm not going to watch it, but will someone take the bullet to see how it is?

They talk about all their grievances of the movie, but then say that the action was "so good" that it balances it all out.

Oh and horrible skit stuff, as usual.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

But the action was poo poo too.

And everythung else in the movie.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

ApeHawk posted:

They talk about all their grievances of the movie, but then say that the action was "so good" that it balances it all out.

Oh and horrible skit stuff, as usual.
The bit with Joe as Clark Kent standing in the bathtub got a smile out of me, though.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Todd in the Shadows posted a video for I Took A Pill In Ibiza by...Mike loving Posner, of all people. It's only up for patrons right now, but it's a good episode that you'll like if you enjoyed his old review of Cooler Than Me.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 22, 2016

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I still write reviews! No, really! Here’s my review of what happens when you try to make a Hercules movie without Hercules: you get The Bacchantes.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Mr. Enter is having even more issues with Youtube. Apparently the page to submit an appeal is giving him nothing but a 500 error :psyduck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQCDeKmHD4c

I'm not a fan of the guy and honestly think a lot of his vidoes are pretty bad but seriously still sucks for the guy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is that the guy who looks and acts like a 13-year-old kid and was investigated by the FBI for threatening people?

EDIT: no, that was somebody else that I was thinking of.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Why would you need someone to see how it is? Doug is involved, so it's going to be pretty bad. The only exception I've seen is the Chucky reviews with Phelous.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Cubey posted:

Todd in the Shadows posted a video for I Took A Pill In Ibiza by...Mike loving Posner, of all people. It's only up for patrons right now, but it's a good episode that you'll like if you enjoyed his old review of Cooler Than Me.

Weird. He must have publicly listed it by mistake last night as I saw it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why are Doug Walker's videos so ugly? Why can't he try and make a skit look good, and maybe film outside or hire someone who can do special effects?

Or is that the joke?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I am just going to start following Confused Matthew and continually updating the thread on everything he does, because it makes as much sense as Dougwatch 2016

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You do you man.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
For the longest time I thought Matthewmatosis was Confused Matthew and I had absolutely no idea why people in this thread were recommending his videos.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Testekill posted:

Sage has a new review out, it's for some lovely thing called Strange Love. He doesn't hate it as much as Very Private Lesson but it's still a pretty cringeworthy OVA

I thought the part where he went into the sleazeball production of the OVA was pretty interesting. Its stuff like that where Bennett goes beyond the anime itself that I really appreciate about his videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

I thought the part where he went into the sleazeball production of the OVA was pretty interesting. Its stuff like that where Bennett goes beyond the anime itself that I really appreciate about his videos.

Bennet alwas seems to do a good job of researching stuff, even the ones he could be forgiven for just choosing to spend twenty-odd minutes going "do you see this poo poo?!" instead like Strange Love and Very Private Lesson. That look at how low and skeevy as poo poo the production on Strange Love was quite interesting and just adds an extra layer of :suspense:.

• Locked thread