Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
booooooriiiiing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

scary ghost dog posted:

booooooriiiiing

Yeah, that ending would've been bad. Good thing Joe got involved.

Thanks for posting it, Teach.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I finished reading Everything's Eventual

I liked a lot of the stories in there.

I liked 1408 it reminded me of acid

I had a nightmare about 1408 I was trapped in a hotel room and couldn't get out but eventually I did get out the door. Thanks SK.

I very rarely have nightmares based on media anymore. The only other SK thing I remember giving me a bad dream was Revival

is the movie of 1408 good? I can't imagine it's anything but a typical modern day horror movie with jump scares and poo poo. It's the type of story I can't imagine at all translating well to the screen

Is 1408 the one where he picks up the phone and it's all like "9... 9... all your friends are dead." becasue that was pretty freaky

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Teach posted:

Here you go.

wow how did you get specific permission to duplicate that copyrighted material

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Probably wrote to the author's lawyer.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

:geno:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCns4w3GA9A

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Yeah, that ending would've been bad. Good thing Joe got involved.

Thanks for posting it, Teach.

i was being insincere

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I think I'll pass on this one.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Cusack looks like such a vampire in that trailer.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I'll chime in on the DT ending talk, since I just finished it again last night. I like Wolves of the Calla, it's a dope cowboy ride in save the town story. Song of Susannah was a chore to get through, because I don't care about Mia or Mordred or any of that poo poo. IMO he should have focused on either Walter or the King... preferably Walter. Book 7 is by and large really good, except for the out-of-nowhere Pennywise relation and continued focus on Mordred.

The ending is good. And horrifying. poo poo rings true to me.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Admiral Bosch posted:

I'll chime in on the DT ending talk, since I just finished it again last night. I like Wolves of the Calla, it's a dope cowboy ride in save the town story. Song of Susannah was a chore to get through, because I don't care about Mia or Mordred or any of that poo poo. IMO he should have focused on either Walter or the King... preferably Walter. Book 7 is by and large really good, except for the out-of-nowhere Pennywise relation and continued focus on Mordred.

The ending is good. And horrifying. poo poo rings true to me.

This is how I feel.

Book 5 was fun! Book 6 was a slog! Book 7 was great except when it really wasn't!

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

ConfusedUs posted:

This is how I feel.

Book 5 was fun! Book 6 was a slog! Book 7 was great except when it really wasn't!

Yup, you nailed it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I just started Song of Susannah and you guys aren't helping any.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ruddiger posted:

I just started Song of Susannah and you guys aren't helping any.

its pretty good imo. well written at the very least

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The grocery store shootout was excellent.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The grocery store shootout was excellent.

This is definitely the most memorable scene for me, and I did like the majority of Roland/Eddie's Maine adventures (yeah even the self-insert part, so sue me). I just really did not care for the Mia/chap part of the story at all. Also those stave/response things in Calla-speak at the end of each chapter really grated on me, but they are easy enough to skip/ignore.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the most telling thing for me is that I could tell you what happened in each of the first four books but the last three are kind of a blur.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

American poster itt: If you haven't read The Dead Zone already, read it soon. Do you think there will be a special 2016 election edition?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

American poster itt: If you haven't read The Dead Zone already, read it soon. Do you think there will be a special 2016 election edition?

If there isn't, there should be.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

The Dead Zone is one of King's best, so people should read it regardless.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I'll probably get on some sort of government watchlist for this post, but I can't be the only one who's thought of The Dead Zone several times during this circus of a presidential race.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Advice posted:

I'll probably get on some sort of government watchlist for this post, but I can't be the only one who's thought of The Dead Zone several times during this circus of a presidential race.

Stillson was at least good at hiding to the public he was an rear end in a top hat.

King said he thought about The Dead Zone when Jesse Ventura was campaigning for Minnesota governor

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Joe Hill's The Fireman comes out next week. Anyone manage to score an ARC?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of Joe, he's trying to turn his comic book series Locke & Key into a TV show again.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Cemetery Dance just announced their special edition of The Shining. Probably the most interesting aspect of it is this part:

quote:

This is the very first edition of The Shining published anywhere in the world to include Stephen King's original, uncut 40 page prologue entitled "Before the Play" restored at its proper place at the beginning of the story. This may end up being the only edition to ever present the complete story of the Overlook Hotel as King originally wrote it, so don't miss out on this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! Although an excerpt from the prologue appeared in TV Guide in the 1990s, this is the first time the complete prologue has ever appeared where Stephen King intended it to go — right at the beginning of The Shining!

Also note that they are much farther along in the production process on this than they were on 'Salem's Lot, which was announced in October 2014 and just started shipping last week. They give an October publication date, which I think is a bit optimistic, but it won't be an 18+ month wait (barring any issues with the printer).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ornamented Death posted:

Cemetery Dance just announced their special edition of The Shining. Probably the most interesting aspect of it is this part:

Also note that they are much farther along in the production process on this than they were on 'Salem's Lot, which was announced in October 2014 and just started shipping last week. They give an October publication date, which I think is a bit optimistic, but it won't be an 18+ month wait (barring any issues with the printer).

I preordered my Salem's Lot copy around the first week of January 2015, and I just got it last Wednesday. It was quite the wait, but worth it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm almost done with my third read of 11-22-63. I read it twice when it came out, and I'm almost through it again.

I think this may be King's best book. Not just the best since his accident. No, that is without doubt.

I mean out of all of them.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

nate fisher posted:

I preordered my Salem's Lot copy around the first week of January 2015, and I just got it last Wednesday. It was quite the wait, but worth it.

It usually is with CD books. I've got the whole Doubleday series on preorder - it'll be damned near 2020 before I get the last book :).

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm almost done with my third read of 11-22-63. I read it twice when it came out, and I'm almost through it again.

I think this may be King's best book. Not just the best since his accident. No, that is without doubt.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it his best overall, but I love that book too. I really connected with it emotionally in a big way. And thank goodness Joe was around to help him with such a perfect ending. It really is a great book. I love every single page.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

UncleMonkey posted:

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it his best overall, but I love that book too. I really connected with it emotionally in a big way. And thank goodness Joe was around to help him with such a perfect ending. It really is a great book. I love every single page.

I feel like I wanted a little bit of a closer look at the time cops .

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Cast Iron Brick posted:

I feel like I wanted a little bit of a closer look at the time cops .

I disagree, I think the show especially showed us that the less we learn about the time cops, the better. Hell, King isn't afraid to just have poo poo never get explained within the book (I'm looking at you, Hearts in Atlantis) and still tell a compelling story. I stand by my belief that 11/22/63 is secretly a love story disguised as a time travel thriller and the Yellow Card man was better as a mystery early on than as an impotent time cop later. What was he even supposed to do? He can't leave, so he just sits there slowly going insane? Who would volunteer for such a job?

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I actually wasn't crazy about the ending. I liked that it ended without him changing anything but I didn't like the apocalypse world part

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ConfusedUs posted:

It was good but I remember skimming through a good portion of the middle third or so. There was an enire huge section that really dragged and aded next to nothing to the story,

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I actually wasn't crazy about the ending. I liked that it ended without him changing anything but I didn't like the apocalypse world part

Yeah, I always felt the apocalypse world was something that made the ending less powerful. Jake having to choose not to relive the past because the unintended consequences are too much is something that is more powerful in terms of being a tough decision than simply having "the world will literally destroy itself" as a consequence.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

Actually the loop ending is bad for many reasons but yeah having king explain THIS ENDING IS BAD BUT I DINT FEEL LIKE DOIN BETTER made it 100x worse

thank you for being the only sane person in this thread when dark tower is brought up.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
The only issue with changing 11/22/63 is if it's not literally supernatural magic earthquakes and world destruction, he totally would have gone back for Sadie. Nothing less could have stopped him. The Rookie Time Cop even begged him to undo the changes and he didn't even consider going back until he saw the absolute destruction. Jake becomes the hero we always thought he was, but for a different reason. As far as "using the rabbit-hole to save the world", he did it. He saved us by returning us to a stable timeline. What the universe (King) did to Jake was ask him, "Okay, you wanna be a hero? Are you willing to lose everything for it? Oh, you don't have anything? Well, let me give you something and ask again." It was beautiful in its own way, and frankly I don't think there's anything I would change about it.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Advice posted:

The only issue with changing 11/22/63 is if it's not literally supernatural magic earthquakes and world destruction, he totally would have gone back for Sadie. Nothing less could have stopped him. The Rookie Time Cop even begged him to undo the changes and he didn't even consider going back until he saw the absolute destruction. Jake becomes the hero we always thought he was, but for a different reason. As far as "using the rabbit-hole to save the world", he did it. He saved us by returning us to a stable timeline. What the universe (King) did to Jake was ask him, "Okay, you wanna be a hero? Are you willing to lose everything for it? Oh, you don't have anything? Well, let me give you something and ask again." It was beautiful in its own way, and frankly I don't think there's anything I would change about it.

But the point is that if one one the options involves the complete destruction of the entire planet, then it isn't really an option, and it isn't heroic at all. It would have been more interesting if it was left to him having to ponder going back 5 years older to exclusively seduce someone who has no idea who he is, but he knows all about who she is, even as he is now fully aware of the potentially disastrous consequences of altering the past. It makes it all a bit of a shaggy dog story if it turns out that no matter how successful or unsuccessful he was it was all doomed because of apocalyptic consequences.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

joepinetree posted:

But the point is that if one one the options involves the complete destruction of the entire planet, then it isn't really an option

Spotted the guy who's never been in love.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

ConfusedUs posted:

I just reread it again. The part where he creams the nosy busybody is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ladies and Gentlemen, Roland Deschain.