Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!
I'd say move on to part 7: you probably remember enough of part 4 to look forward to what's coming up without risking burning out on it with a reread.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I had a friend bring back the other version of that Rohan from Japan (the white one) and a leg popped off. The leg just never really stays on for more than two seconds. Bleh.
Mine has a small white scuff on the right arm that I usually keep posed so that it's hidden. I'm still so happy that you pointed out the listing, though! Every time I re-pose him I feel grateful. :shobon: In general, the downsides to these figures are that they're a little fragile (and if something breaks your only choice is to glue it and then it's not pose-able), some of them have crummy paint jobs, and the older ones have noticeably worse-looking joints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
What is that shirt/skirt/leggings combo Rohan is wearing in that figure and someone tell me where to cop

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Amaryllis posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect David to have come up with some cool solution--like, this is the studio that bothered to show where the rubber glove came from in the first Angelo episode, and I'm sure they could've come up with something to explain how Keicho got in there. At the same time, the Nijimura Brothers arc has a some horror-movie stuff going on (iirc Xibanya touched on that in the let's read thread), and I think the spooky shadow passing in front of the window and then bam! creepy guy in a high school uniform appearing before Angelo's eyes fits in with that.

going into a long winded explanation of how he got in would've killed the scene (which was extremely perfect).

CJ posted:

He walks past the window then teleports inside. I guess you could say it's open to interpretation in the manga. Might just be another case of David Production taking the manga panels too literally as a storyboard rather than thinking about what it's conveying and adapting it into an animation, like the plant pots.

my theory is that he got in very quickly, laid flat and had his little guys open the door quietly and carry him in under angelo's bed, then he crawls out and pops into angelo's view very suddenly. keicho obviously likes making a sinister entrance.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Amaryllis posted:

I'm not seriously arguing that they had to show it; I just didn't want CJ to feel dogpiled again and also wanted to point out that the way it's handled in both manga and anime does a great job of creating a creepy atmosphere.
Seriously guys, I know that CJ has expressed some bad jojopinions and I too think that the jojo anime is wonderful and perfect, but I wanted to engage him here because while I don't agree with him, it's not so much because it's from Angelo's perspective, and more because David is translating this arc's use of horror movie tropes into the adaptation and I guess I'm just going to shut up now.

e: Wait, no I'm not: Moltrey, that's Rohan's Highway Star outfit. It's just a tunic with a long coat over it and a pair of leggings underneath. It's somewhat rare, but it shows up on amiami from time to time.

Amaryllis fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 19, 2016

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Not that I really need an excuse to spend more money after buying way, way too many things recently but when does the new Rohan SAS come out? Anyone remember?

Gotta catch 'em all and make them glare at one another all day long.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

I'm not sure they actually gave a date--it doesn't seem to be up for preorder yet, even. (On the topic of spending too much money on plastic anime men, though, I'm eyeing that Di molto bene Josuke that just went up for preorders: I wasn't keen on the SD figures when they were first revealed, but they're looking a lot better in coloured prototype form.)

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Amaryllis posted:

e: Wait, no I'm not: Moltrey, that's Rohan's Highway Star outfit. It's just a tunic with a long coat over it and a pair of leggings underneath. It's somewhat rare, but it shows up on amiami from time to time.
That's not what I remember his Highway Star outfit looking like but it's a Look. Also I was jokingly but not really referring to where to get that outfit irl cause it rules.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I think it works fine in the manga. Angelo looks towards the door then looks back and Keicho is standing next to his bed. It's open to speculation about how he got into the cell. Was it his stand? Was he hiding in the shadows? In contrast, the anime shows him outside the cell walking past the window, then he just apparates in the cell in the middle of a shot. To get the same effect as the manga, they could have had him appear in a cut, that keeps the uncertainty of how he got there without cheating with a massive red herring by making it look like he teleported. I actually went back and read the Bad Company chapters to make sure i wasn't mis-remembering how his stand worked.

The depiction of the flowerpot scene had the same issue. In the manga it sort of works, because time is nubulous in the medium, so even though when you think about it Josuke wouldn't have time to say his line that doesn't really matter. The anime plays it out in real time though, and not only does Josuke have time to say his line but it takes it a step further and has the camera pan back to show the flowerpots still on the wall and take off. It's shown so weirdly that i've seen some anime only people second guess whether they understand how The Hand works. They clearly don't have a problem making changes since they added the whole Okuyasu punching Josuke thing, so i don't know why they didn't move Josuke's line before or after to have the flowerpot sequence all happen in one fluid motion.

And as a disclaimer, just because i take issue with how they translated these two sequences to animation doesn't mean i think this makes the entirety of the episode, Diamond is Unbreakable or JoJo as a whole bad.

EDIT: Oh yeah, one other tiny thing i noticed was the comb transition after Josuke dora'd Angelo. Kind of weird that it was just a disembodied hand and comb doing a wipe, when they could have had it part of the shot and had Josuke comb his hair after. That's probably just a time and budget thing rather than a creative decision though so whatever.

CJ fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 20, 2016

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

CJ posted:

I think it works fine in the manga. Angelo looks towards the door then looks back and Keicho is standing next to his bed. It's open to speculation about how he got into the cell. Was it his stand? Was he hiding in the shadows? In contrast, the anime shows him outside the cell walking past the window, then he just apparates in the cell in the middle of a shot. To get the same effect as the manga, they could have had him appear in a cut, that keeps the uncertainty of how he got there without cheating with a massive red herring by making it look like he teleported. I actually went back and read the Bad Company chapters to make sure i wasn't mis-remembering how his stand worked.

The depiction of the flowerpot scene had the same issue. In the manga it sort of works, because time is nubulous in the medium, so even though when you think about it Josuke wouldn't have time to say his line that doesn't really matter. The anime plays it out in real time though, and not only does Josuke have time to say his line but it takes it a step further and has the camera pan back to show the flowerpots still on the wall and take off. It's shown so weirdly that i've seen some anime only people second guess whether they understand how The Hand works. They clearly don't have a problem making changes since they added the whole Okuyasu punching Josuke thing, so i don't know why they didn't move Josuke's line before or after to have the flowerpot sequence all happen in one fluid motion.

And as a disclaimer, just because i take issue with how they translated these two sequences to animation doesn't mean i think this makes the entirety of the episode, Diamond is Unbreakable or JoJo as a whole bad.

I agree the flower pots could have been done much better. Manga uses decompression a lot, where you show the same moment over again from different perspectives, and while it usually works in animation, this one kinda doesn't. I think the idea was with the flower pots you're seeing the scene again, now with the pots in view, but because of Josuke's line and positioning, and the weird delay with the pots starting to move, time seems like it's passing normally. Not the biggest deal; it's mainly a shame because it's confusing some people.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Moltrey posted:

That's not what I remember his Highway Star outfit looking like but it's a Look. Also I was jokingly but not really referring to where to get that outfit irl cause it rules.

In the colored version of the manga it's all white/off-white with brown boots.

One of my favorite Rohan outfits though honestly I like them all... I will be fine if there are no outfit changes for Rohan but I'd really like there to be.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Rohan is cool

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Rohan is my spirit animal and those panels are why

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Rohan is very unhinged, I do not trust him and I hope he seeks help. I had hoped Rohan would've gotten the picture when Josuke slammed Crazy Diamond's fist through Heaven's Door and into his face, but sadly he got worse.

Cheap Trick outfit Rohan is prob my favorite Rohan look tho

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I love Rohan, Rohan's headband, Rohan's temper, and Rohan's collection of Sailor Moon figures.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I've figured out whats up with Gappy and who he really is.

I'm am beginning to reread Part 8 after the new Chapter and was thinking just how goddamn quirky Gappy is which are not any traits of Josefumi and Kira. Now I've figured it out

These are the people make up Gappy

Josefumi
Kira
Jesus of Nazereth
Josuke the dog.

The first two are self explanatory.
Now for Jesus, we have that whole backstory hinting that Johnny brought the corpse parts to Japan, well this elevated hill thing that Josefumi and Kira have been grafting the fruit is situated right above it which is where the Weird Rokakaka fruit featured in this months chapter is coming from.

Jesus was also a dick in part 7 with cursing random people who come across him with stand powers.

At the beginning of part 8, Yasuho named Gappy after her dog because he reminded him of it. I speculate that this is the same dog that has been going around biting people like Yasuho and Joshuu giving them stand powers, just like our Lord and Savoir Jesus Christ. Now that we know for sure this dog has eaten the same fruit off the tree that Josefumi has grafted. I am 120% Gappy is 1/4th dog

Maybe more findings to come after I scour more of Part 8

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm am beginning to reread Part 8 after the new Chapter and was thinking just how goddamn quirky Gappy is which are not any traits of Josefumi and Kira. Now I've figured it out

Josefumi
Kira
Jesus of Nazereth
Josuke the dog.

Now for Jesus, we have that whole backstory hinting that Johnny brought the corpse parts to Japan, well this elevated hill thing that Josefumi and Kira have been grafting the fruit is situated right above it which is where the Weird Rokakaka fruit featured in this months chapter is coming from.

Jesus was also a dick in part 7 with cursing random people who come across him with stand powers.

At the beginning of part 8, Yasuho named Gappy after her dog because he reminded him of it. I speculate that this is the same dog that has been going around biting people like Yasuho and Joshuu giving them stand powers, just like our Lord and Savoir Jesus Christ. Now that we know for sure this dog has eaten the same fruit off the tree that Josefumi has grafted. I am 120% Gappy is 1/4th dog

The American government recovered the Corpse of Jesus Christ after Johnny stole it, it's not left in Morioh. I'm also not sure how Josuke can be the dog when the dog is also seen in modern day, Tsurigi calls it Iwasuke (Rock Dog) and points it out to Josuke.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

The dog got really hosed up looking after eating the stone thing. I forgot to add that the Dog also has Kira, Josefumi and Jesus parts in him but mostly Jesus.

Edit: From chapter 1 the dog bites as described as looking as if a human bite ergo the dog has a Xenomorph mouth of Jesus Christ popping out and biting people.

Sinners Sandwich fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 20, 2016

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I dunno, I think there's some dog inside of him, maybe they swapped hearts or something internal because Gappy is a Good Boy but Kira and Josefumi aren't quite Good Boys despite not being bad boys, so they needed just a little bit of Goodest Boy and since Okuyasu isn't around a Dog needs to be put in the mix.

I mean, this is gonna sound ridiculous but, well, what if there's Gappy running around, all the good parts of Josefumi and Kira plus a little bit of Dog, then there's the other? that other body somehow's still alive and gained something to allow him to survive with crappy parts and no Dog to make him good? so he's just essentially Evil!Gappy and has been pulling strings while Gappy tries to figure out what's going on, so Gappy keeps Soft&Wet while Evil!Gappy has Killer Queen.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, I'm pretty Tsurugi mentions that it's a strange dog with the qualities of a Rock Human. The new chapter was just an answer to why it's like that. The Jesus thing I don't loving know so that's more possible, Jesus is unknowable and who knows what effect Johnny's Act 4 Spin had on the world.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

The dog is evil gappy and dickhole jesus. Also Gappy is a stone cold murderer so he's still got some bad in him

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Jesus is a JoJo, and thus cool and good. Your theory is poo poo.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

I can't quite remember how corpse parts are distributed but seeing as how Kira and Josefumi did not receive any groinal injuries then I think Gappy has corpse parts in his balls similar to how corpse parts are stored in Johnny and Gyro but more noticable like Valentine's heart.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Finally read the chapter. For the first time, I actually heard the intro to Roundabout in my head at the end of a chapter.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Josefumi
Kira
Jesus of Nazereth
Josuke the dog.

I don't think he's Jesus Christ but I'm open to the possibility. Thank you for your thoughts.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

if Kira is Kira does that mean Josefumi was Stray Cat?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Why is his nickname Gappy? Honest question here.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

The Sandman posted:

He's got a cute lil gap in his teeth. :allears:

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Amaryllis posted:

About the competing translations: I read the HWMN version first and I appreciate the high quality and the consistent releases, but I have to say I kind of like some of the phrasing better in the /a/ one. Like, "That is my image of happiness" (HWMN) vs. "That must be what happiness looks like" (anonymous). They're both communicating the same idea, and if I had to guess I'd say that HWMN's is probably closer to the literal meaning, but the other one sounds closer to what an actual human being would say. It'd be cool if people could somehow collaborate/contribute suggestions or something instead of scrambling to push scans out ASAP.

As much as I respect Kewl's translation skills and experience, I don't think he's a very good writer for exactly that reason. Maybe the rest of Jojo Project was keeping him in line for SBR, but this problem is more noticeable than ever in his Jojolion releases. Earlier in the chapter, he also has a line about about "the mouths of his wounds", and although that's a perfectly valid phrase in Japanese (kizu no guchi), the opening of a wound on the body is not called a "mouth" in English so it really makes no sense to translate it literally as such. As for the phrase you mentioned, "image of happiness" is a pretty direct way of translating "shiawase no imeeji", but outside of a technical context, the Japanese "imeeji" most often means "mental visualization," so I feel like translating it straight to "image" kind of misses the point somewhere, even if it is clearly derived from the English word. And, as you mentioned, it sounds pretty stilted in English, even though it didn't come off that way in the original Japanese.

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 20, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the dialogue in the anonymous translation definitely comes off as more 'human', especially in the bits with josefumi talking to kira. it helps characterize josefumi and gives a nice flow to his little speech. it kinda takes something out of the moment in the HWMN version when a character is talking like a person just cracked open a dictionary like a can of soda and started pouring it out onto the page.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
can we talk about that brutal loving beatdown that Josefumi dished out.

Like I seriously thought for a second 'wait so were there 4 A Pex brothers and Josefumi just loving dismantled two of them in an instant?'

It seems like Josefumi's Soft & Wet was a real killer in close range combat; maybe even more then Gappy's from his fight with I Am A Rock.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

The Sandman posted:

It's just to refer to him as Josuke without confusing him with Part 4's Josuke.

I can't remember how Japan did it but the english release of All Star Battle refereed to Gappy as "Jo2suke" which is pretty awkard. The little pet name is a pretty good fit for that little oddball

Stallion Cabana posted:

Like I seriously thought for a second 'wait so were there 4 A Pex brothers and Josefumi just loving dismantled two of them in an instant?'

I'm honestly surprised they weren't dead or injured looking in the present

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I was rereading the finale of Part 4, was Koichi clinging on to Jotaro's jacket at the end there when they're running towards Kira

Nice new thread title btw

Raserys fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 20, 2016

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Josefumi was a loving beast, and I am fully prepared to watch a fat man die.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
ASB called Gappy "Josuke Higashikata (8)" and Part 4 Josuke "Josuke Higashikata (4). It was super dumb

also i approve of this thread changing it's title every new chapter.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I think the implication here is that he's neither really. Josefumi does get stars on his bubbles in this chapter so it may either be an Araki oversight or he had taken some of Kira's power even while living. Like, even if his base body is more Josefumi, he's 100% not entirely Josefumi and not entirely Kira. He's Josuke now and that's probably the only real way to look at him.
This thought occurred to me too, shortly after making that post, and now I kinda hope that's the direction Araki's going with it.

It'd be an interesting and appropriately bizarre twist on the amnesia angle for amnesia to actually have nothing to do with it, it's just that he was "Literally" born yesterday.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

he was "Literally" born yesterday.

I honestly think that's it after seeing how things went with this chapter. Maybe another antagonist will show up, but I think the memory 'loss' isn't actually loss, it's just... there's nothing for him to remember, because he's Josuke.

Stallion Cabana posted:

It seems like Josefumi's Soft & Wet was a real killer in close range combat; maybe even more then Gappy's from his fight with I Am A Rock.

It was pretty incredible. Just those panels where Josefumi is sitting there watching the twins come in and he's glaring up at them... please let me live long enough to see that animated, because it was loving awesome.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
My mother watched the first three episodes of Jojo today. She thinks Dio's vampire noises and Jonathan's tiny head are hilarious.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

alcharagia posted:

My mother watched the first three episodes of Jojo today. She thinks Dio's vampire noises and Jonathan's tiny head are hilarious.

Jonathan does have a silly tiny head. Perceptive mom.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Gappy fought those soccer guys in the present as well, right? because that was a pretty brutal beating he gave this chapter and I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that the Rock People are very immortal and none have actually been killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Gappy fought those soccer guys in the present as well, right? because that was a pretty brutal beating he gave this chapter and I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that the Rock People are very immortal and none have actually been killed.

yeah Gappy murdered those dudes earlier. It seems weird if they're immortal because the other two have literally turned into pieces of rock and dust and blown away after they died.