Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
http://youtu.be/-9EYThhbRww

Well that hurt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

argondamn posted:

I roll a ton in pvp because phantom range is even worse in this game than it was in the previous ones somehow.

its really, really bad. i don't think i've actually ever seen any truly 'clean' hits in hundreds of fights. idk what is going on but the hit detection in pvp is significantly worse than ds2 which is especially weird when considering that ds3 is on the same engine

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I'm starting to think the canonical ending of DS2 was The Giant Lord conquering Drangleic (Yhorm specifically), and the actual happenings of DS2 were a desperate attempt by the Emerald Herald (who is some kind of firekeeper/immortaldragon hybrid thing?) to reverse that and finish Vendrick's work (curing the darksign/hollowing).

Regardless, I'm not sure there have been more than 5 cycles. Lothric seems to represent the broken and dying final cycle of the world. If we take what seems to be that the deep sea rises up (from the lowest point), eventually swallowing everything, we can assume that the untended graves exists in the same time as Lothric does but because it is physically lower in the world, it had already been submerged into the abyss.

I think when the world was created, there was a finite amount of souls. Every time the fire is linked, souls were used up (ash, IE the player) permanently. Each Lord essentially gobbles up a large amount of souls in the process of linking the flame (this does seem to be necessary to the process), and many are summarily destroyed in that process. Given the linking ending, we can safely say that there just aren't enough souls left to kindle the fire. Even after the PC goes around and gobbles up various lord souls that occurred throughout time. It's not enough. The cycle is done, there just aren't enough souls left.

All that's left is to let the deep sea swallow everything, and let life emerge again eons later.

Elman posted:

So uh, is Irithyll also Frozen Eleum Loyce? Cause that's where the Bed of Chaos was last game. And they're both frozen cities that kinda look like Anor Londo.

it's heavily implied in my opinion. mentioning both the chaos and the dark brides.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 20, 2016

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Fereydun posted:

its really, really bad. i don't think i've actually ever seen any truly 'clean' hits in hundreds of fights. idk what is going on but the hit detection in pvp is significantly worse than ds2 which is especially weird when considering that ds3 is on the same engine

i win most of my matches by just swinging like a retard into someone who is mid-swing and having more beef than they do. i don't think i've backstabbed anyone once. i'm MLG ready, boys

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Sometimes it works out. I summoned a mad phantom when going through the high wall on a new character, and they were actually helpful, even taking down an invading red.

I have only been messing with purple signs if invaded when I have the option - because it's something of a wild card and isn't a blatant "gently caress you" to invaders. The phantoms could team up on me (which isn't very unfair, they tend to step on eachother's toes) or could team up with me against the red, which has the same effect. It's just a nice interesting feature, I just wish there were some other incentive for using a purple sign, because I haven't even bothered placing my own for the very reasons people mentioned. It's too much of a crap shoot whether you will be picked up by someone like me who isn't just looking to gank a poor fool.

I don't mind it too much. If Purples got much more attention they would really stand out, and red invaders would really be lagging behind - only existing for the sake of covenant rewards. So I only mention the state of purple signs because it would be nice to see more of them for my own purposes (summoning on and trying to manipulate encounters to "feed" the purple phantom hapless white/yellows, or as a wild card when invasions are stacked).

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Can you trade infused weapons? I know you can only pick up weapons where you've upgraded to that level or higher, but are there any restrictions on infusion?

Making a lowbie gimmick

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Slanderer posted:

Is there any trick to Dancer? I am whaling on her with a freshly-enchanted dark sword, and usually I only get 50% through her before something goes wrong. Usually, one or both of my summons get insta-killed or double-tapped, and I'm only able to sloooowly chip away at her health. I increased my health a bit so that now I can survive her insta-kill attack if I'm fully healed (but the one and only time this happened, she immediately used her fire explosion and I had no way to get out of range).

I got her down to 10% earlier, but this fight is just super dumb. I'm dodging 80% of her attacks, blocking some and taking the rest, and there doesn't seem like there is any clever strategy that I'm missing

yes, stick on her rear end. literally don't leave her rear end unless you absolutely have to to estus. get up in that rear end, larry.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

That is hilarious.

The only boss bugs I've come across a non-responsive Abyss Watchers, Wolnir, and Pontiff. They just slide around like morons and don't do a single thing so I hack at them till ded.

CasualMaleXL
Oct 25, 2009

Big britches get bitches

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

You know what's great? the Patches squat. I wear the big iron exile mask with that chain hanging off the collar and as many things with spikes or chains as I can, and whenever I get summoned I just squat and don't move until the host is done gesticulating and spinning around in circles - which, of course, goes on for a good 45 seconds. Just finished a fight and host is picking up drops? Squat. Host is running back and forth for no reason or going down dead-end corridors? Squat. Waiting for another summon to beam in? Squat, and then don't move while the two of them communicate in whatever crude way they do. And this always frustrates one of them - the host or the summon - who can't understand why I'm just squatting there looking like a pit fighter in an iron mask. How can he not be rolling around and smashing pots in celebration? They can't stand it. They start with the rolling into me and poking me with their swords and running in circles around me...nope. I'm not gonna do that.

Just squat like a badass. I highly recommend this just so you can see how much it flusters the host. Social experiment. Of course, the better hosts will just sit there with me - which is just as cool. They probably wouldn't even look at explosions.

Oh, and to whomever posted on the Fextralife Wiki about Yhorm being "trivial" when Siegmeyer is with you - bullshit. He got two-shotted before I could even run over to the throne to get the (spoiler) whatzit. That was not as easy as advertised.

Couple pages back but squat4life. No fanfare on summon or boss kill.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tabletops posted:

I'm starting to think the canonical ending of DS2 was The Giant Lord conquering Drangleic (Yhorm specifically), and the actual happenings of DS2 were a desperate attempt by the Emerald Herald (who is some kind of firekeeper/immortaldragon hybrid thing?) to reverse that and finish Vendrick's work (curing the darksign/hollowing).

Regardless, I'm not sure there have been more than 5 cycles. Lothric seems to represent the broken and dying final cycle of the world. If we take what seems to be that the deep sea rises up (from the lowest point), eventually swallowing everything, we can assume that the untended graves exists in the same time as Lothric does but because it is physically lower in the world, it had already been submerged into the abyss.

I think when the world was created, there was a finite amount of souls. Every time the fire is linked, souls were used up (ash, IE the player) permanently. Each Lord essentially gobbles up a large amount of souls in the process of linking the flame (this does seem to be necessary to the process), and many are summarily destroyed in that process. Given the linking ending, we can safely say that there just aren't enough souls left to kindle the fire. Even after the PC goes around and gobbles up various lord souls that occurred throughout time. It's not enough. The cycle is done, there just aren't enough souls left.

All that's left is to let the deep sea swallow everything, and let life emerge again eons later.

it's heavily implied in my opinion. mentioning both the chaos and the dark brides.

Yhorm is not the Giant Lord. Yhorm has a face. DS2 Giants are a different species of Giant.

The events of DS2 have very little to do with the cycle of the Flame. It's really just about one man's struggle with the Curse, to understand what it is, and if it can be overcome. The Flame is only tangentially related.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

MrLonghair posted:

Whereabouts was that sign and wall?

right from the farron woods bonfire entrance, hug the wall and if i remember right its the first wall that sticks out makes it a corner.

edit: i'll make a video if i can next time i load the game up, if i'm not too dumb to do a webm

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 20, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So my character's just after Pontiff now and I feel like now is my last chance to decide if he's ever going to respec to Faith in NG+ or not because SL 60ish is probably the last chance I'm gonna get to pick up ears for Blue Sentinels/Darkmoon. I'll definitely want Darkmoon Blade on a Faith build.

He's pure quality build right now and may well stay that way, but I'd hate to outlevel the Aldrich invasions in Irithyll and miss my chance to get ears without farming Silver Knights for hours :ohdear:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

click and you will have no regrets

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yhorm is not the Giant Lord. Yhorm has a face. DS2 Giants are a different species of Giant.

The events of DS2 have very little to do with the cycle of the Flame. It's really just about one man's struggle with the Curse, to understand what it is, and if it can be overcome. The Flame is only tangentially related.

While Yhorm is definitely not the Giant Lord from DS2, there is a pretty strong suggestion in... I wanna say his soul description, maybe one of the boss weapons, that he is a direct descendant.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Tabletops posted:

What are the references to the dark brides?

But yeah, I just remembered the ghost knights that walk around that place and look exactly like the ones in Frozen Eleum.. It has to be the same place.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Elman posted:

So uh, is Irithyll also Frozen Eleum Loyce? Cause that's where the Bed of Chaos was last game. And they're both frozen cities that kinda look like Anor Londo.

That's the impression I got. Makes sense since Eleum Loyce is part of Drangleic, which the giants conquered, and Yhorm is mentioned (forget where) as being the descendant of a conqueror.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What criteria gets you the reward? I want my bones

Exactly what it says when you enter their world; killing the host or "X" number of phantoms. Reds and whites, and blues are all eligible, not sure about other purps but I'd imagine so.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Captain Oblivious posted:

the giant lord's face is never shown. I typed up a theory earlier that the 'giants' in Ds2 were actually just constructs, considering it mentions that Vendrick brought back the secret to the creation of golems (and then built his kingdom with them) from the land of the Giants, it makes sense to me. They are anatomically /very/ different from the giant lord. Yhorms armor also bears a striking resemblance to the Giant lords (down to the weird hairy shoulderpads).

obvious example

smelter demon looks like a cross between the 'giants' in the memories, and the golems vendrick created.

it's seemingly much closer to the memory giants though (mostly in position of the soul anus).

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 20, 2016

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
So, uh, just beat the last boss (surprisingly easy, kind of sad, but then, I had fought the nameless king and the champ prior, so I guess everything is easy in comparison), got a question to make sure I get the right ending

I'm going for the end of fire ending. Fire Keeper said to call but, but I'm just seeing a yes/no option for linking the flame? Do I walk out, go back to firelink, is it just obtuse and saying yes actually has me snuffing it out?

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
Anyone on PS4 mind helping with the Archdragon boss? EvolutionIsAMyth

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Thank you, this makes me feel better about dying 20 times to this boss.

gonna have to sleep on it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Elman posted:

Genocyber posted:

That's the impression I got. Makes sense since Eleum Loyce is part of Drangleic, which the giants conquered, and Yhorm is mentioned (forget where) as being the descendant of a conqueror.

But isn't Irithyll literally the city around Anor Londo? Going through there to Anor Londo, I don't feel like they are two places smashed together. Unless you're saying Eleum Loyce is also literally Anor Londo?

Obligatum VII posted:

So, uh, just beat the last boss (surprisingly easy, kind of sad, but then, I had fought the nameless king and the champ prior, so I guess everything is easy in comparison), got a question to make sure I get the right ending

I'm going for the end of fire ending. Fire Keeper said to call but, but I'm just seeing a yes/no option for linking the flame? Do I walk out, go back to firelink, is it just obtuse and saying yes actually has me snuffing it out?

Do you see a summon sign? Use it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Keep in mind also that it's directly connected to The Catacombs, where you fight a Slayer who stole a ring from a frozen knight's finger...

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

This game has some funny bugs. I got the one where bosses don't animate and just skate around in their default pose. This also makes you effectively immortal since the attack animations never happen. Seems to happen when you get summoned to another world.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Harrow posted:

But isn't Irithyll literally the city around Anor Londo? Going through there to Anor Londo, I don't feel like they are two places smashed together. Unless you're saying Eleum Loyce is also literally Anor Londo?

Do you see a summon sign? Use it.

The universe is getting real leaky.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's because the boss, unlike most other enemies, are controlled by the host instead of who they happen to be targeting.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Sometimes having a knowledge of the map as an invader is just too hilarious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kg1B8Wqba8

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

kikkelivelho posted:

This game has some funny bugs. I got the one where bosses don't animate and just skate around in their default pose. This also makes you effectively immortal since the attack animations never happen. Seems to happen when you get summoned to another world.

yeah, you can tell sometimes when it's happening on your end (ie your phantoms see you as a crossman and the bosses don't animate) it only happened once for me where someone got into a fight, 90% of the time they would just be unable to enter the boss arena (which is also what happened for me most of the time, when the host wasn't animating).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The universe is getting real leaky.

Sure, but also, Irithyll and Anor Londo connect so seamlessly as to feel like they were constructed together, and Irithyll has a portrait of Gwynevere and several items from Anor Londo.

I feel like people are seeing ice and going "it must be the same as <other icy place>." Like, it's obviously supposed to call it to mind, but keep in mind that in DS1 we saw a whole city around Anor Londo we couldn't go to and I see no reason to assume that Irithyll isn't just, y'know, that.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 20, 2016

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

The other players also didn't animate and were skating around. The boss could hurt them but I was immortal. This happened multiple times in a row while I was helping people. Once i entered the boss solo the bug vanished completely

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

MrLonghair posted:

Whereabouts was that sign and wall?

Genocyber posted:

Where is this located?

okay just loaded it up again and it's right around the corner from the first bonfire in farron KEEP (i dont know why i was calling it farron woods, this isnt zelda) in that little alcove. pictures to show off: http://imgur.com/a/P6pIO

you can just walk through the wall, you dont even need to do anything. i havent gone any further than in those screenshots because i'm scared i'll fall forever and have to start again.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 20, 2016

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.
The theory that Profaned Capital is Eleum Loyce is out there. And Irithyll is connection to Profane Capital so there's a through line from Loyce to Irithyll, but I don't think they're the same place.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Harrow posted:

Sure, but also, Irithyll and Anor Londo connect so seamlessly as to feel like they were constructed together, and Irithyll has a portrait of Gwynevere and several items from Anor Londo.

I feel like people are seeing ice and going "it must be the same as <other icy place>." Like, it's obviously supposed to call it to mind, but keep in mind that in DS1 we saw a whole city around Anor Londo we couldn't go to and I see no reason to assume that Irithyll isn't just, y'know, that.

given the world moving around and such, I assumed that anor londo just popped up there at some point. they specifically mention to important things from ivory king: The existence of the dark maiden(s), and the city built on the great chaos.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Tallgeese posted:

Keep in mind also that it's directly connected to The Catacombs, where you fight a Slayer who stole a ring from a frozen knight's finger...

Is the implication with this guy that he just went around killing people and stole their stuff?

e: I also had one of those throw connects at weird angle things were my guy is just hanging in the air upside down while the guy throwing me is doing a dance 5 meters to the side

kikkelivelho fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 20, 2016

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Top tier post/video.
Actually click on it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Having two separate isolated tundra cities that just happen to be built upon ancient corrupted magic fires seems... unlikely. We're in the "transitory lands of cinder" it's not a huge stretch to say that geography is not stable and that Anor Londo may have just popped in at some point (along with New Londo, which I assume is the Profaned Capital).

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Stokes posted:

Just realized I completely ruined the entire point of being hollow storyline-wise because i swung at a group of statues. Oh Well!! (ugh).

Same. Next playthrough, I guess...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Something I've been wondering about the giants in DS2 is that, based on some things in DS3, I think their faces might not be natural.

The giants in DS2 had the hollow faces and even had holes in their souls. Yohrm does not have this, he clearly has a human skull and his soul bears no such mark. So the common theory is that the giants are two seperate species.

However, I'm wondering if the giants in DS2 might of been carrying their own kind of curse. When they die, trees sprout out of their corpses. At first this just seemed like a quirk of the DS2 giants, but now we see it happening too humans as well. The undead settlement is filled with corpses that are sprouting into trees. Also, take a look at the Londor pilgrims; their are roots clawing out beneath their shells. They are wearing the shells to keep those roots suppressed, as their growth causes them to turn into pilgrim butterflies. The strange flying creatures you see over Lothric Castle, which look like tree roots twisted into the form of an emaciated angel. We never see the faces of the Londor pilgrims either. They are wearing hooded robes, which make them appear visually reminiscent of the DS2 giants.

It all just seems like it can't be a coincidence. I'm not sure what the exact cause of this would be, but I'd assume its the end result of certain creatures escaping from the cycles created in the age of fire.

quote:

When the giants fell, they grew into great trees. Death is not the end, for anything that has ever once lived remains a part of a great cycle of regeneration.
But what of those outside of the cycle?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I just realized that the moon is eclipsed in this game because Albrecht is devouring/digesting it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tabletops posted:

the giant lord's face is never shown. I typed up a theory earlier that the 'giants' in Ds2 were actually just constructs, considering it mentions that Vendrick brought back the secret to the creation of golems (and then built his kingdom with them) from the land of the Giants, it makes sense to me. They are anatomically /very/ different from the giant lord. Yhorms armor also bears a striking resemblance to the Giant lords (down to the weird hairy shoulderpads).

obvious example

smelter demon looks like a cross between the 'giants' in the memories, and the golems vendrick created.

it's seemingly much closer to the memory giants though (mostly in position of the soul anus).

The Giant Lords face is shown both as the Giant Lord and as the Last Giant. He is not wearing a hood, he has a hole face just like every other Giant in DS2. There's a wealth of images for you to reference through GIS. This is not an ambiguous issue.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Anyone figure out why hollows are becoming trees