Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

omg chael crash posted:

I hate CGI vehicles. Pulls me right out of it

And what's worse, it hardly looks any better than the CG Javelins from Justice League.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

For some reason, CGI vehicles always make me think of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx0aUUzaT2A

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

omg chael crash posted:

I hate CGI vehicles. Pulls me right out of it

Same thing with me. I remember Archer started doing CGI cars a couple seasons ago and I thought it really badly clashed with their animation style.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
CGI vehicles looked okay on the Venture Bros. but they also had an episode with a Harryhausen-esque clay mation sequence so they can kinda do whatever they want.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

SRM posted:

CGI vehicles looked okay on the Venture Bros. but they also had an episode with a Harryhausen-esque clay mation sequence so they can kinda do whatever they want.

In the commentary they said they were surprised when the animation came back from Korea with the CG monarch mobile because they hadn't asked for it or paid more for it

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It worked OK in Futurama, I felt.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Dacap posted:

Same thing with me. I remember Archer started doing CGI cars a couple seasons ago and I thought it really badly clashed with their animation style.

Yeah, this is the example that usually comes to mind for me

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

It worked OK in Futurama, I felt.

That's because they bothered to match the black lines, cel shading and framerate to the regular animation (and later on I think Futurama became fully computer animated like The Simpsons, too) instead of just shoving assets from a PS1 cutscene in the middle of a cartoon willy-nilly.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
The Killing Joke will be R-rated.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

It's DTV, why is it rated anything at all?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Some places don't like to carry Unrated stuff, so getting something helps.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

Some places don't like to carry Unrated stuff, so getting something helps.

Aren't most DTV cartoons unrated?

Actually, thinking about it more it's probably a combination of trying to get some cheap publicity now and head off negative publicity down the line from parents buying it for their 6 year old because "it's a cartoon with Batman."

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Publicity.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

hup posted:

Publicity.

TOO HOT FOR TV!!!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

and head off negative publicity down the line from parents buying it for their 6 year old because "it's a cartoon with Batman."

I'd bet almost certainly this. After all those news stories about dumb parents taking their kids to see Deadpool then getting mad about all the stuff in it, DC probably wants to get ahead of the curve and say very clearly "Hey, do not let your children watch this movie, even if they really like Batman."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I was listening to a podcast and this guy was explaining his frustration in having to explain to his kids that they can't watch a Superman and Batman movie because it's completely inappropriate for them.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

TwoPair posted:

I'd bet almost certainly this. After all those news stories about dumb parents taking their kids to see Deadpool then getting mad about all the stuff in it, DC probably wants to get ahead of the curve and say very clearly "Hey, do not let your children watch this movie, even if they really like Batman."

Deadpool made "this movie is rated R motherfuckers" part of its massive publicity campaign and parents still brought their kids to see it. Getting ahead of the curve won't accomplish anything as long as dumbasses can't be bothered to read single-letter warnings. Giving the movie an R rating just means WB can shrug and say "you were warned" when people inevitably start complaining.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hopefully this is the right thread

zoux posted:

EMH was insane for the number of comics plots they adapted, like it sucks it was only two seasons but they covered a ton of ground.

Though I thought I heard Assemble had kind of turned the corner as of late? Guardians gets decent grades on AV Club but I just notice that in passing.

Assemble had the squadron supreme arc which was at least decently coherent, but I wouldn't say it's gotten to the point where the show is good. Maybe I just haven't noticed recently but I think they did finally get rid of that dumb loving black bar faux aspect ratio crap they were doing at the beginning.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
They just had a story arc that redid the Thunderbolts plotline from the comics. One episode introduced the Thunderbolts, the next one immediately revealed them as the Masters of Evil.

I mean I guess we can't all be the DCAU when it comes to playing the long game at continuity, but a two-episode turnaround from "who are these new heroes" to "oh they're those guys" is really kind of shameful. Especially when the reveal happens because the Avengers were 100% suspicious of the Thunderbolts the entire time, never trusted them, and discovered the truth after spying on them.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Don't forget that they fought the masters the episode before the thunderbolts show up and no one thought that a team with the exact same powerset popping up from nowhere trying to make the avengers look bad might be in any way connected.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Yeah. Like the Thunderbolts thing could have gone on for an entire season, having them pop in and out, doing stuff in the backgrounds, talking about it in other episodes while they do one shot stuff. To just kinda blow their wad over four or so episodes seems like a waste of a really fun idea.

It seems like the writing team isn't planning for anything beyond what they're doing right at that moment. At least the first bit, mediocre as it was, had set up Hyperion and the Squadron. It just seemed like they were just grabbing for another Super Team to fill in a place holder slot, to wait for something bigger to happen.

Beetle seems to be their crossover person, having bigger roles in AA and US, without just being in Clash of Champions? At least for more then one episode.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

PicklePants posted:

Yeah. Like the Thunderbolts thing could have gone on for an entire season, having them pop in and out, doing stuff in the backgrounds, talking about it in other episodes while they do one shot stuff. To just kinda blow their wad over four or so episodes seems like a waste of a really fun idea.

It seems like the writing team isn't planning for anything beyond what they're doing right at that moment. At least the first bit, mediocre as it was, had set up Hyperion and the Squadron. It just seemed like they were just grabbing for another Super Team to fill in a place holder slot, to wait for something bigger to happen.

Beetle seems to be their crossover person, having bigger roles in AA and US, without just being in Clash of Champions? At least for more then one episode.

Yeah one thing I'm digging in emh is how they're setting stuff up long term. The skrulls, dr doom, marvell, kang, etc.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

Yeah one thing I'm digging in emh is how they're setting stuff up long term. The skrulls, dr doom, marvell, kang, etc.

My favourite instance of that was them setting up Surtur in EXACTLY the way Walt Simonson did in the comic.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Remember when they insisted that Avengers Assemble wasn't a complete reset of EMH? That was funny.

quote:

“It will continue much of what the movie started, it’ll be slightly different from Earth’s Mightiest Heroes. It’s really going to focus on the core characters… but it is not some kind of drastic change from Earth’s Mightiest Heroes into Marvel’s Avengers Assemble. Everything that’s established in [Earth’s Mightiest Heroes] and just running from that point on. It’s like Bendis’ Avengers going into Marvel NOW! Avengers… Everything that happened in Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, we’re going to keep consistency from that, to the new show.”

quote:

Jeph Loeb spoke more about the new series adding that “it better reflects the cast that’s in the movie...but we’re not saying ‘Earth’s Mightiest Heroes’ never happened.” Continuing on that comment, he adds his thoughts about the ending to Earth's Mightiest Heroes. “We took this giant epic story, it has a conclusion we always meant to get to...and when we get out of that you’ll see what ‘Avengers Assemble’ will take it to" Loeb added.

Just as good as when Avi Arad insisted that Amazing Spider-Man wasn't a reboot.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Why must all the good superhero cartoons die before their time? :(

I guess the DCAU had a good run, though, and the alternative would have been to see it New-52'd to gently caress, which would have been a far worse fate.

But still, I miss Spectacular Spider-Man and EMH and Young Justice and Green Lantern.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I miss Brave and the Bold.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gaz-L posted:

My favourite instance of that was them setting up Surtur in EXACTLY the way Walt Simonson did in the comic.

lol nice. I guess Yost had at least some idea as to what he was doing.

ToastyPotato posted:

Remember when they insisted that Avengers Assemble wasn't a complete reset of EMH? That was funny.

Just as good as when Avi Arad insisted that Amazing Spider-Man wasn't a reboot.

I think the only thing similar between the two was the mansion but even that looked different and got blown up immediately, as if to say "this is totally different from emh guys!!!"

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Within the first season, it is pretty clear that it is almost literally impossible for it to be a continuation of the previous show. AA was set in USM continuity, and EMH had already had their own version of Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Spider-Man (and even Ant-Man) that do not sync with anything in USM. Then again, the Guardians of the Galaxy seem wildly different from their first appearances in USM, so there is that. In any case, it was kind of insulting for them to even bother releasing such a statement. The only people for whom that kind of statement would have mattered, were going to be old enough to realize that they were lying completely just a couple of episodes in. Not really sure what was accomplished there.

Fuego Fish posted:

I guess the DCAU had a good run, though, and the alternative would have been to see it New-52'd to gently caress, which would have been a far worse fate.

But still, I miss Spectacular Spider-Man and EMH and Young Justice and Green Lantern.

EMH really stings for me because it felt like the closest we ever came to a legit DCAU counterpart for Marvel.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Fuego Fish posted:

New 52 was like, 5 years after Justice League Unlimited finished. So even if it had gone on longer which would have been awesome, it never would have gone that far. Still got a decent send off as well.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

ToastyPotato posted:

EMH really stings for me because it felt like the closest we ever came to a legit DCAU counterpart for Marvel.

Which is never gonna happen now because they're going to keep putting out their terrible garbage shows forever, or at least until they stop selling toys and t-shirts. I still have no idea how Marvel can be owned by Disney yet the animation on every cartoon they have is just so loving bland and stilted.

The photoshop filter backgrounds can eat a dick too.

thebardyspoon posted:

New 52 was like, 5 years after Justice League Unlimited finished. So even if it had gone on longer which would have been awesome, it never would have gone that far. Still got a decent send off as well.

That is true, I guess I am just extremely distrustful of DC about that sort of thing. New 52 was a complete clusterfuck and stopped me from reading DC comics for years.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

It's hilarious because they are a company built on and known for animation, who even had a currently running good series (Gravity Falls) going and they couldn't give the slightest bit of a poo poo when it came to their Marvel cartoons. Even better is that they developed and released Star Wars Rebels AFTER their wave of Marvel shows and that show is light years ahead of all of them as well. Not sure why the executives have such a blind spot for Marvel cartoons. It can't be a money thing, because if it were, then they'd put zero effort in to Rebels and there'd be like 2 additional Star Wars shows by now.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The cartoons are bad in order for the movies to be good. You can't have both.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

Cardboard Box A posted:

The cartoons are bad in order for the movies to be good. You can't have both.

But we had Young Justice and Man of Steel at the same time

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Ultimate Spider-man is decent now :shobon: bar a very flat reveal of Kaine's face. Animation isn't exactly top-notch on the show but it's never as power point-y as Avengers Assemble.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ToastyPotato posted:

Within the first season, it is pretty clear that it is almost literally impossible for it to be a continuation of the previous show. AA was set in USM continuity, and EMH had already had their own version of Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Spider-Man (and even Ant-Man) that do not sync with anything in USM. Then again, the Guardians of the Galaxy seem wildly different from their first appearances in USM, so there is that. In any case, it was kind of insulting for them to even bother releasing such a statement. The only people for whom that kind of statement would have mattered, were going to be old enough to realize that they were lying completely just a couple of episodes in. Not really sure what was accomplished there.

Another great thing about emh: including a lot of other marvel characters, including ff, wolverine, and spidey, which considering they're all disconnected from the movie universes I didn't think I'd see. And its version of the guardians is different from the film/assemble team. And of course on the team there's Janet and tchalla, both of whom I like better than their replacements, widow and falcon.
Once point against emh is that at least one person on production team apparently had a crush on widow and whenever she's in an episode there's at least one shot of her rear end and it's a kinda weird.
Half a point for assemble is that the voice actors for widow and hawkeye were the va's for the female and male Boss in saints row 3 & 4 and hearing them talk to each other is kind of amusing.

Fuego Fish posted:

Which is never gonna happen now because they're going to keep putting out their terrible garbage shows forever, or at least until they stop selling toys and t-shirts. I still have no idea how Marvel can be owned by Disney yet the animation on every cartoon they have is just so loving bland and stilted.

The photoshop filter backgrounds can eat a dick too.

Yeah, I like the animation a lot more on emh. It feels a lot smoother. And the art itself is just a lot more vibrant and nice to look at.

E: did Hank pym really become a mega douche rear end in a top hat in the comics like he does in emh?

site fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 21, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's always a shot of Widow's rear end in the MCU too, brand synergy.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

site posted:

E: did Hank pym really become a mega douche rear end in a top hat in the comics like he does in emh?

Ahahhahahahahaha.. Oh god. He's more of an douche in the comics. I think everyone agreed that the cartoon Pym wasn't even nearly as terrible as comic Pym. Every attempt they make to, "Fix" him usually just falls flat. The Ant Man movie has the best version of him. He's an rear end, but at least it's kind of understandable.

They all at least shared the blame for Ultron in the cartoon. He also didn't didn't commit any domestic violence.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Pym in EMH is a pretty well done character. You don't often get someone who is sort of a pacifist and just doesn't want to go around hurting people all the time, even if they're villains, in a superhero punchmans show. He's a good contrast to Wasp who is a giddy psychopath with an infectious enthusiasm for hurting badguys.

i like tacos posted:

But we had Young Justice and Man of Steel at the same time
I rest my case

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

But in that case we had a not so great movie, and a pretty ok show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Cardboard Box A posted:

Pym in EMH is a pretty well done character. You don't often get someone who is sort of a pacifist and just doesn't want to go around hurting people all the time, even if they're villains, in a superhero punchmans show. He's a good contrast to Wasp who is a giddy psychopath with an infectious enthusiasm for hurting badguys.

I meant the part where he ups and quits, breaks up with Janet without having the balls to actually break up with her, fakes his own death and becomes mega rear end in a top hat yellowjacket even though as yellowjacket he acts exactly like the thing he claimed to hate so much.

PicklePants posted:

They all at least shared the blame for Ultron in the cartoon. He also didn't didn't commit any domestic violence.

Yeah tbh, I did kinda feel pretty bad for Hank at the end of that arc cuz everybody lets him take the blame for ultron even though he probably had the least amount of responsibility for it and that fact is never explored at all.

site fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 21, 2016

• Locked thread