Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Not always. The first time I bought a giant bag of King Arthur Special Patent flour I thought I was getting AP, but it's actually high-gluten bread flour. Granted, it's "special", but it still has "patent" in the name.

What I meant was that the patent flour as described in the recipe can be substituted for with AP flour. Patent flour is AP flour in The Netherlands,.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nicol Bolas posted:

Fish sauce is just fine in a cupboard. It already went bad once and is full of salt, nothing is gonna grow in it. If you really want to fridge it I imagine that can't affect it negatively, though there is no reason to do so.
I once had a bottle that said DON'T REFRIGERATE on the original and KEEP REFRIGERATED on the importer's label. I concluded it couldn't possibly matter. It seems to get crystals no matter where I store it, anyway.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Do I just cook duck breast like I would chicken breast? i.e. pan sear on high to caramelize the skin, then low sautee to cook the breast through, and make a white wine reduction out of the pan drippings?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pollyanna posted:

Do I just cook duck breast like I would chicken breast? i.e. pan sear on high to caramelize the skin, then low sautee to cook the breast through, and make a white wine reduction out of the pan drippings?

Make some cuts in the skin to let some of the fat render out, there is a lot of it there.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
yes, score the fat crosswise, very important.
also, chicken breasts should always be well done, while duck breasts are best when cooked medium rare (also, like red meat: get it out of the fridge well before you're going to prepare it, and give them some time to rest after cooking)

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Pollyanna posted:

For perfect duck breasts:
Trim excess skin from around the breast
Score skin and fat down to, but not into, the flesh
Place duck breasts skin side down into a cold frying pan
Put pan on to medium heat for 7 -8 mins (fat should render out and skin should go brown and crispy, depending on your burners you may need higher heat)
Turn the breasts and cook for a further 2-3 minutes depending on thickness
Rest for 5 minutes, slice and you should have medium rare meat and crispy skin
Eat.
Reserve and cool the fat to cook other things like potatoes in for later

Helith fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Apr 20, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

people posted:

ducke

:neckbeard: Thank you! I'm looking forward to lunch, now.

Dumb question: how often do people wash their hands while cooking? I know you need to always keep your hands clean, but there's times where you're touching pieces of raw meat one after another, while handling like a knife or something in between. Do you wash your hands every time you touch a piece of meat, or do you wait until you're done with it all to wash up?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Generally after touching all the raw meat I plan on touching, and before touching anything other than raw meat.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
How long will garlic confit be okay in my fridge. The Internet is making me scared!!!!!

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I do all the veg prep first and either mise en place or cook it right away depending on the dish. Meat prep after that, then wash my hands and the knife so the utensils and pan handles stay clean. If I have to touch raw meat while cooking (laying some into a pan or tossing another handful into a stir fry), I use only one hand and then wash it immediately so I can grab the utensils or pan handles and get back to cooking.

I guess the short answer is I try to always be aware of when/which hand has touched raw meat and wash it as soon as possible, and try to prep/cook in an order that keeps the raw meat for the last step if it's possible.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I see, I see. Another q: what does "medium", "medium-low", "medium-high" heat refer to? Ranges usually have a 0=LO to 10=HI range, so what does medium mean? 5, 6, 7? Or 3, 4, 5?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pollyanna posted:

I see, I see. Another q: what does "medium", "medium-low", "medium-high" heat refer to? Ranges usually have a 0=LO to 10=HI range, so what does medium mean? 5, 6, 7? Or 3, 4, 5?

My range knobs go LO > 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 > 6 > HI. Generally it's worked out for me that LO means "flame extinguishes entirely in a breeze", HI means "will produce smoke no matter what", 1-2 is low, 3-4 is medium, 5 is medium-high, and 6 is as high as you want to go.

In reality, it works out to "make the recipe a bunch of times and just figure it out" :(

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
You kind of have to mess with it based on your particular set up but if you have numbers then that's a good baseline. Might not be perfect, trial and error etc

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Videos like this helped me a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ls2B0P8sXw

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

FishBulb posted:

You kind of have to mess with it based on your particular set up but if you have numbers then that's a good baseline. Might not be perfect, trial and error etc

Yep trial & error. Took us a few tries to figure out that on our range, 6 means perfect grilled cheese, while 2 means simmer, but not on every burner. Like we have one burner that's a 2" diameter and one that's 4" while the others are 3" and there's one super long one for a griddle pan so we had to trial & error all of them!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Thanks for the advice! I cooked the duck breast just now using Helith's recipe, and completely hosed it up.

I followed the recipe to the letter - trim the excess skin, place skin down in cold pan, turn on burner to 5, sear for 8 minutes, turn over, cook at 6 for 2 minutes, remove and rest for 5 minutes. The skin got a nice, golden brown but not dark crust, but it was clear there was still a lot of unrendered fat left. After resting, I cut into the duck breast, and the inside was still cold and raw. I immediately went "gently caress" and threw it back into the (now cold) pan on 6, and cooked for another 3 minutes. Rested, cut into it, still raw, "gently caress", repeat. I ended up with partly-medium, partly-medium-rare, and partly-raw cubes of duck breast by the end of it.

Here's where I think I went wrong:

• My knife was incredibly dull. I needed to make a sawing motion to score the skin, and even then it did an awful, irregular job.
  • The breast was about 1.5"-1.75" thick. I don't know if that's the thickness that Helith's recipe assumed, and I have no idea if that's typical or if most duck breast is more like 1" thick.
  • I have no idea how to gauge doneness, so I had no idea whether or not to continue cooking, and went by time. Clearly, that's an extremely ineffective way to cook.

I didn't eat the entire breast - some portions were just too raw or unappetizing - and I'm pretty disappointed in myself. I know failure is just a step on the way to success, but...well, this sucks. :( (I did keep a small jar of the rendered fat, though. I'll figure out what to do with it, I guess.)

I was under the impression that you should always cook bird until there's no pink whatsoever in the middle, i.e. to well-done, specifically for health reasons and to avoid disease. Why is it different for duck?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

1) get a thermometer. Thermapen if you can afford it. Thermpop if you can't, and it's even currently on sale.

2) if you see more fat that can be rendered, keep rendering it until the skin is nice golden brown and crispy.

3) get your knife sharpened, and/or hone it before every use.

4) you will probably have to get more familiar with your burner settings. 5 sounds like it was too low for this exercise.

5) cooking white meat all the way through is because the texture is gross if you don't, not for any health or anti-disease reason. If you're gonna get a disease from a piece of meat it's pretty much going to be a bug living on the outside of the meat, not within. I have no idea though why duck meat is considered a red meat versus a chicken, only that it is, and that it's goddamn delicious

6) get a thermometer!!!!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pollyanna posted:

Thanks for the advice! I cooked the duck breast just now using Helith's recipe, and completely hosed it up.

I followed the recipe to the letter - trim the excess skin, place skin down in cold pan, turn on burner to 5, sear for 8 minutes, turn over, cook at 6 for 2 minutes, remove and rest for 5 minutes. The skin got a nice, golden brown but not dark crust, but it was clear there was still a lot of unrendered fat left. After resting, I cut into the duck breast, and the inside was still cold and raw. I immediately went "gently caress" and threw it back into the (now cold) pan on 6, and cooked for another 3 minutes. Rested, cut into it, still raw, "gently caress", repeat. I ended up with partly-medium, partly-medium-rare, and partly-raw cubes of duck breast by the end of it.

Here's where I think I went wrong:

• My knife was incredibly dull. I needed to make a sawing motion to score the skin, and even then it did an awful, irregular job.
  • The breast was about 1.5"-1.75" thick. I don't know if that's the thickness that Helith's recipe assumed, and I have no idea if that's typical or if most duck breast is more like 1" thick.
  • I have no idea how to gauge doneness, so I had no idea whether or not to continue cooking, and went by time. Clearly, that's an extremely ineffective way to cook.

I didn't eat the entire breast - some portions were just too raw or unappetizing - and I'm pretty disappointed in myself. I know failure is just a step on the way to success, but...well, this sucks. :( (I did keep a small jar of the rendered fat, though. I'll figure out what to do with it, I guess.)

I was under the impression that you should always cook bird until there's no pink whatsoever in the middle, i.e. to well-done, specifically for health reasons and to avoid disease. Why is it different for duck?

That is fairly thick for a duck breast, you might want to pound it thinner in the future for more even cooking. I would get a good thermometer so you can check for doneness without having to cut into the food. First off it sounds like you cooked on too high of a heat, the outside got done too fast and the inside was left raw, in that situation once the skin looked good you should have put it into the oven for a bit to let the inside finish cooking, that would have also rendered out more fat. Next time use a little less heat and use a thermometer to check for doneness. If the outside gets done early again put it in the oven at around 350 for 10-15 minutes or until it is done. Don't worry too much about overcooking it a bit, duck is fatty and stands up pretty well to a little overcooking.

And yeah, get a sharp knife, you should be able to get a Victorinox Fibrox knife for a reasonable price.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

The Midniter posted:

I have no idea though why duck meat is considered a red meat versus a chicken, only that it is, and that it's goddamn delicious

Ducks do a lot of work with their wings, chickens don't.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Pollyanna, sorry it didn't work out the first time, but as you said, it's the first step to learning.
It sounds like you needed a little more heat on the pan so try at the 6 or 7 setting (or even 8, it really depends on what heat your burner throws out) and see where that gets you. I have gas burners and use the largest one when cooking duck breast.
It also might have needed another minute when you turned it.
You kinda have to play by ear depending on the individual breast.
Duck is delicious at medium rare but if you're happier with it cooked more than that then just leave it in the pan a little longer.

I never usually finish in the oven so can't help you with timimgs there, but suggestions for a thermometer are good. Eventually you'll be able to tell how done meat is by prodding it and feeling how springy it feels!

Helith fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 21, 2016

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Does anyone swear by a particular digital thermometer that sits outside the oven with a probe I stab in things within the oven?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nuru posted:

Does anyone swear by a particular digital thermometer that sits outside the oven with a probe I stab in things within the oven?

This one is great. Does everything I want without any extra bullshit.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/alarm/dot.html

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

When I lived in Columbus, OH a lifetime ago, I worked at Schmidt's Sausage Haus while going to school. They had an item on their menu called Chicken and Noodles - it was shredded chicken in a thick, savory broth with egg noodles that were somewhere between those No-Yolks and dumplings. It was fantastic (plus it was one of the items that employees could eat for free, not a bad thing for a broke-rear end college student).

I've tried to find a recipe even close to that dish with no luck. I've tried making the filling for chicken pot pie without the veg, but it's just not the same. Plus, the closest I can get to the noodles are these sad little matchstick things :sad:

Any ideas on a good recipe or even a starting place?

Plus I really miss Mark Pi's war su gai, but I am really not comfortable deep frying stuff so oh well :ohdearsass:

LongSack fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 21, 2016

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Man, I can't believe I'm hearing about Schmidt's. Feels like a lifetime ago for me too.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

LongSack posted:

When I lived in Columbus, OH a lifetime ago, I worked at Schmidt's Sausage Haus while going to school. They had an item on their menu called Chicken and Noodles - it was shredded chicken in a thick, savory broth with egg noodles that were somewhere between those No-Yolks and dumplings. It was fantastic (plus it was one of the items that employees could eat for free, not a bad thing for a broke-rear end college student).

I've tried to find a recipe even close to that dish with no luck. I've tried making the filling for chicken pot pie without the veg, but it's just not the same. Plus, the closest I can get to the noodles are these sad little matchstick things :sad:

Plus I really miss Mark Pi's war su gai, but I am really not comfortable deep frying stuff so oh well :ohdearsass:

Have you tried calling and asking how they make it?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Get that one. I sprang for the fancier model and kinda hate it. I don't Sous Vide except once as a fun experiment, so having to set the "low" temp each time is a pain in the butt.

But yes, get this. It's great- no more checking the oven every few minutes then always ending up overcooked. Set the desired temp, relax and wait.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

LongSack posted:

:sad:

Have you tried making your own? If you roll out pasta dough relatively thick, it puffs up quite a bit because of the egg. No fancy recipe. Just flour egg and salt.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

LongSack posted:

Sounds a lot like spatzle, maybe try looking over some recipes and see if you can find something that looks right.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I usually do vegetables first and then the meat, but sometimes when I'm making a soup or stew I'm not very strict about it and will cut vegetables on raw chicken covered boards and whatever. It's all going to be boiling for a while so it shouldn't matter is my thinking, am I missing something? I haven't made myself sick but it wouldn't be a huge deal to be more careful if there's some reason to. I just don't see why if it's all being cooked thoroughly.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Great, thanks.

I need more reverse sear in my life.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I can't imagine it would be a problem if it's all going into boiling water in a few minutes. I'm just very strict with myself about it because I'm lazy and it's harder to cross-contaminate if the habit is to always do vegetables -> meat, with cleanings in between. Plus some vegetables are only available in "way more than I need at any one time" quantities (lookin' at you, celery) and this way I always know the unused amount can just go back in the crisper.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Is it unsafe at all to use a butane torch for finishing creme brulee? From reading online it seems like most people use propane, does it matter?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's all burned to CO2/water vapor by the time it reaches the food, there's no health hazard either way.

Propane is mostly good because it's a big flame so you can brown the whole top quickly before the custard heats up, vs fiddling around with a dinky butane flame that's basically a glorified cigarette lighter.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Chard posted:

Is it unsafe at all to use a butane torch for finishing creme brulee? From reading online it seems like most people use propane, does it matter?

Most wimpy kitchen torches are butane and are meant to be applied directly to food. You're fine.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I just use a plumbers blowtorch.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Doesn't propane contain deliberately stinky compounds so you can smell a gas leak?

I guess they all just burn up?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Squashy Nipples posted:

Doesn't propane contain deliberately stinky compounds so you can smell a gas leak?

Yeah it's mercaptan, but it's just an odorant that burns off.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Squashy Nipples posted:

Ethanethiol is the most common one, which has one sulfur atom; it produces a tiny amount of sulfur dioxide when burned, but at the concentrations used for odor detection it's not gonna produce enough to matter.

E: Wiki says it's also added to butane, so unless food torch manufacturers are going to the trouble of getting butane without it, there you are.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Thanks for the duck breast tips, guys. I'm gonna try again in a while or so, hopefully after getting over my fear of the oven (too many angry smoke detectors :().

Is there, like, a standard way to make a pan sauce from some pan-fried or sauteed chicken breast/ground beef/pork steak? I've learned a little about it recently, and what I always end up doing is putting white wine and chicken stock in the sautee pan, and just scrape it around with what's already in there (usually a bunch of oil and little burned pieces). It usually ends up tasting like...white wine and chicken. Don't get me wrong, it's a sauce - but it's nothing special. How should you usually finish off something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Butter , garlic, and salt?

E. To be more specific, deglaze the bits with a little wine, loosen up the bits, and cook until it gets nice and thick. What you have now is called fond. Add a couple tablespoons of butter and some minced garlic, sauté the garlic in the fond for a bit with a pinch of salt. Then add broth and reduce.

Also your bits shouldn't be burned, but browned. You are cooking too hot.

Also get the extra oil/grease out of there, that's not helping anything.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 22, 2016