Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So do I stall at SL 60 for a while to try to collect ears from Aldrich invaders and maybe get Darkmoon Blade, or just do a Faith build on a different character?

This is difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I've finally started to do some sun broing for boss help, and things have been going steadily downhill for helping people with Crystal sage.

"I helped somebody beat a boss :buddy:"

"Huh, my Host was just sliding around most of the fight and I got to deal 90% of the boss's health as it stood still, before it popped us back to normal"

"Okay time to finish...this? *4 minutes of me and host smacking around an invincible copy* welp."

I feel like such a jerk black crystaling out, but not much I can do to an buggy invincible boss :v: But at Host probably understood as we both hid behind a pillar in sad poses after attacking the boss out of spite for 4 minutes straight.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Wait what sword?

Farron Greatsword

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Can you summon for the Boreal Dancer fight after Yhorm?

I know some don't enjoy summoning for fights but I love co-op games so it's always more fun for me when it's a team effort :shobon:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I just realized that the moon is eclipsed in this game because Albrecht is devouring/digesting it.

His name is Aldrich. Your spelling is nowhere near close.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I'm in Lothric Castle now and just found the alternate way through the door that the dragons were blocking.

How much more of the game do I have left?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Hah I wasn't even thinking about it at the time but now it's really obvious that the Farron swamp area is at least partially Ash Lake. Just found some cool armor that cinches it.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Toriori posted:

Can you summon for the Boreal Dancer fight after Yhorm?

I know some don't enjoy summoning for fights but I love co-op games so it's always more fun for me when it's a team effort :shobon:

Yeah, either die or bone out and then pick up a summon. People tend to run down to the other boss door to nab summons before running back up

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I'm in Lothric Castle now and just found the alternate way through the door that the dragons were blocking.

How much more of the game do I have left?

There's one more area after Lothric Castle. But there's also two optional areas in the game, both of which can only be accessed if you've been to the Consumed King's Garden (make a left after climbing the ladder after Dancer).

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I've been trying to do Pontiff fight club by perusing the summoning signs people are leaving down there. I'm not a good PVPman at the best of times, but out of about 30 attempts I've won two fights. Don't get me wrong, I've had some close calls, but more often than not I can't make a scratch on the enemy.

I know it's because my build has made it harder for myself, all the players seem to use greatswords or scythes, heavy armour and shields whereas I'm using basically clothing and either +7 sellsword scimitars, +3 dancer blades or +6 manikin claws (If I really want a giggle). I'm soul level 64 currently.

Is it possible to win fights consistently with a suboptimal build just by gettin' gud, or will the nature of pvp and its sometimes shonky hit detection mean that I'm practically always gonna be doomed? I try to cherry pick opponents with weapon sets that aren't the status quo because I generally have a better time against them, but people get snatched up so fast there's usually no time to consider my options.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Hah I wasn't even thinking about it at the time but now it's really obvious that the Farron swamp area is at least partially Ash Lake. Just found some cool armor that cinches it.

Why? I thought Ash Lake was Smouldering Lake.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So I realized where all the spear's awesomeness from Dark Souls 1/2 went: it's in the Partizan now. Just that little bit more reach makes the normal attack a lot better, and it still has the horizontal swipe from DS2 that the Spear lost. Complete with it doing "blunt" damage now so it can tear up people the normal attack barely tickles.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I got Greirat killed. :negative: I thought saving Siegward from the well would be enough to save him, but it turns out I also had to talk to him in the kitchen in Irithyll, which also couldn't happen because I lit the bonfire in Irithyll Dungeon before going to the kitchen so Siegward wasn't there.

I'm sorry, Greirat. You will survive my NG+. :smith:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

There's another little hint in there that suggest it is Dark Root Basin/Oolacile.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Anyone figure out why hollows are becoming trees

My theory is that it's a new type of curse. I think a lot of the weird grotesque transformations we're seeing are a result of curses running amok. Recall, a curse can never be truly cured; only transferred to a new source. Now the dead are rising regularly, and you've got Undead gathering in dingy settlements and growing more and more diseased as the population hollows--or is massacred by a creepy church cult. Either way, it's a perfect breeding ground for evil diseases. The black snake transformation I think is a type of curse too, or else a corporeal manifestation of some new type of Abyssal scourge a la Oolacile.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Just like in the first game, and for different reasons in two...The Halberd is best.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Guys what about that elevator in a windmill that takes you up to a volcano?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Harrow posted:

Do you see a summon sign? Use it.

Yeah, I'm apparently blind. Found it, got the ending, thanks.

Before I potentially move on to NG+, there's a bit of mop-up: Are there 10 total bone ashes to be found? My estus is at +9, but I'm not sure where I might have missed one. The items I know I've missed are:
1. Behind a wall in Smoldering Lake that I presume I needed the ballista active to actually break, I found it after I had turned it off
2. The items in the lava in smoldering lake, I also forgot to grab the only on the ledge when climbing the ladder to the ballista
3. That tower I can see from Aldrich's area that I know links to the Ithryll church. I have NO idea how to get there.

If anyone could clarify what those items are so I can tell if it's worth it to go get them and how to reach that tower, I'd appreciate it!

Edit: Also, a list of NPC invaders, I know I missed a bunch of them and those jerks drop neat stuff.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 20, 2016

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

My theory is that it's a new type of curse. I think a lot of the weird grotesque transformations we're seeing are a result of curses running amok. Recall, a curse can never be truly cured; only transferred to a new source. Now the dead are rising regularly, and you've got Undead gathering in dingy settlements and growing more and more diseased as the population hollows--or is massacred by a creepy church cult. Either way, it's a perfect breeding ground for evil diseases. The black snake transformation I think is a type of curse too, or else a corporeal manifestation of some new type of Abyssal scourge a la Oolacile.

I hope the dlc explains what the eelweasles are about. The game sets it up as being something of importance as the first boss in the game succumbs to it but the lore doesn't elaborate at all on what's going on with it other than the cleric armor having the turtle shell on the back to prevent the sprouting dark seed beds, and from there the implication that the hollow pilgrims have the boulders on their backs for the same reason

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

No he's totally right. This is all foreshadowing a collaboration with Grim Dawn where Albrecht is attempting to use his Aether Ray to destroy the sun.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Boomstick Quaid posted:

arent they turning into dragons? they are getting worshiped the same as dragons are in high wall and from the streams i watched of the dragonslayer armour fight those flying nerve dragon things look a lot like the hollow tree things and we know dragons like trees. i dont know i'm still in farron keep.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Genocyber posted:

There's one more area after Lothric Castle. But there's also two optional areas in the game, both of which can only be accessed if you've been to the Consumed King's Garden (make a left after climbing the ladder after Dancer).

Great! Another day or two and I'll be finished with this game and completed the Dark Souls series!

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Also I thought it was pretty amazing when I got to the very tippy top of the Grand Archives and there were, like, real winged knights with actual wings. I'm probably easily won over but that was pretty drat cool to me.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

I've been getting them mixed up all day lol

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
i've been dragging homies through the boss fight at the end of the garden and boy howdy that guy drops like a sack of poo poo when you have 700 weapon rating or whatever you call it and most of it is lightning. so drat good

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Vikar Jerome posted:

arent they turning into dragons? they are getting worshiped the same as dragons are in high wall and from the streams i watched of the dragonslayer armour fight those flying nerve dragon things look a lot like the hollow tree things and we know dragons like trees. i dont know i'm still in farron keep.

I figured it was a chaos thing since we've seen chaos turn people into flaming tree monsters before.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Songbearer posted:

I've been trying to do Pontiff fight club by perusing the summoning signs people are leaving down there. I'm not a good PVPman at the best of times, but out of about 30 attempts I've won two fights. Don't get me wrong, I've had some close calls, but more often than not I can't make a scratch on the enemy.

I know it's because my build has made it harder for myself, all the players seem to use greatswords or scythes, heavy armour and shields whereas I'm using basically clothing and either +7 sellsword scimitars, +3 dancer blades or +6 manikin claws (If I really want a giggle). I'm soul level 64 currently.

Is it possible to win fights consistently with a suboptimal build just by gettin' gud, or will the nature of pvp and its sometimes shonky hit detection mean that I'm practically always gonna be doomed? I try to cherry pick opponents with weapon sets that aren't the status quo because I generally have a better time against them, but people get snatched up so fast there's usually no time to consider my options.

Yes you can win even with 'bad' weapons or builds if you git gud enough. PvP in dark souls can be kinda funny and require almost an entirely different school of thought from fighting normal enemies, so if you don't have much pvp experience its pretty common to panic and get destroyed. You just need to keep doing it until you get a better feel for what you can do to mess people up and what you can expect people to try to do to you, and how to avoid it. Treat it like any other dark souls boss that kicks your rear end, although different player builds are each different bosses to learn in of themselves.

Practice makes perfect. And if you're having trouble with 1v1 soapstone pvp, try doing some invasions, especially as a mound maker or sunbro or aldritch faithful, you can commonly get into 2v2 situations and help take some of the pressure off you, plus make things more interesting overall.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Luceid posted:

i've been dragging homies through the boss fight at the end of the garden and boy howdy that guy drops like a sack of poo poo when you have 700 weapon rating or whatever you call it and most of it is lightning. so drat good

What kind of setup are you using for 700 AR out of curiosity?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So, I just invaded somebody. I'm Mound Makin' this business so I pop on in and no host to be seen. I've lost my past two invasions, so I'm feeling salty. As I go through the level, an honest-to-goodness bluecop gets summoned in. I find him, and we size each other up. I took a bit of chip damage, so I use my miracle to heal, then two hand my weapon, I'm rocking a Lucerne. We stand off for awhile, and then I start to move towards him. He bows, I charge in and smack him in the head. He's got a katana and we have a pretty decent duel; I force him to heal twice and then he couldn't or didn't heal anymore. He almost got me, but I had a reach advantage with Lucy and ultimately caught him with a spin attack, then hit him before he could dodge. As he dies, I finally return his bow.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Is it a good idea to reinforce Talismans and shields, or should I be saving materials for weapons only?

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
Just reached (:siren:very late game spoiler:siren:)The Nameless King and hooooooly poo poo this is the most anime boss fight ever and i love it

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I completely forgot there's supposed to be a Dark Souls comic series starting this month.

BigRed0427 posted:

Is it a good idea to reinforce Talismans and shields, or should I be saving materials for weapons only?

You get butt-tons of materials later on, plus I think you can purchase infinite amounts when you find the right ashes so I'd go hog wild.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Yes, shields especially, at least if you're using them to block. Upgrading shields increases their stability, which reduces the stamina damage you take from blocking.

Upgrading catalysts increases their spell buff (not with every upgrade) which increases the effectiveness of miracles that aren't a flat effect, so potentially worthwhile.

But your main priority should always be weapons.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

psychoJ posted:

Just reached (:siren:very late game spoiler:siren:)The Nameless King and hooooooly poo poo this is the most anime boss fight ever and i love it

Yessss! It gets even better when you defeat him and learn who he is :getin:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Elman posted:

Why? I thought Ash Lake was Smouldering Lake.

Whoops you are right! I actually meant Dark Root Basin, dunno how I got those mixed up. It was a really cool moment to find some of the clues and realize that the geography matched up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't think I understand how you're supposed to fight the giant lightning crocodile dogs. I kind of feel like if you don't have an amount of Stamina that's probably above the max that the game allows it's kind of just a crapshoot as to whether you win or not. And in fine Souls tradition, their grab attack has a hitbox ten times the size of what it looks like.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Your Computer posted:

Yessss! It gets even better when you defeat him and learn who he is :getin:

he's goku

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BigRed0427 posted:

In addition to what Genocyber said, don't worry too much about hoarding materials, especially if you're focusing on one weapon you already know you love. There's a tooonn of crafting material in the game (I ended up with over 100 titanite and like 50 large titanite) and before too long you get the ability to buy infinite of the small and large ones.

The only things you really have to worry about are twinkling, chunks, slabs and scales.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Boomstick Quaid posted:

The world is returning to its original state, a grey wilderness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Zaphod42 posted:

In addition to what Genocyber said, don't worry too much about hoarding materials, especially if you're focusing on one weapon you already know you love. There's a tooonn of crafting material in the game (I ended up with over 100 titanite and like 50 large titanite) and before too long you get the ability to buy infinite of the small and large ones.

The only things you really have to worry about are twinkling, chunks, slabs and scales.

well it takes awhile but you can eventually buy unlimited chunks and scales as well