Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I've been hearing that apparently gameplay wise it's pretty good?? Can anyone confirm/deny that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Dark souls 3 was ok but not as good as Dark Souls 2.

I heard Quantum Break was meh, wait in till the company goes bankrupt soon so you can grab it on any system.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tenzarin posted:

Dark souls 3 was ok but not as good as Dark Souls 2.

I heard Quantum Break was meh, wait in till the company goes bankrupt soon so you can grab it on any system.

i think its an ms IP so windows app firesale in a few years will have to do.

ds3 so far is better than ds2 for me. i prefer the souls1 style combat sped up to the souls 2 style of fast combat, idk. the expansion better be insane though or it won't live up to either predecessor

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Mistle posted:

Though I agree with all of them, there's a glaring flaw to each situation that keeps me from agreeing without hesitation.

wow uh... does it really matter that they're japanese ??

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

oddium posted:

Hideo is on his way out. His cash cow has died and he killed it. Never played Viewful Joe for the guy on the top, it sounds like he has no reason to show people the game because he wont listen what they don't like, he could just save that money. I dont understand why there is a quote and a picture of Tommy Wiseau on the bottom.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
thats the ninja gaiden guy

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

corn in the bible posted:

thats the ninja gaiden guy

For the new games? Ok can ignore that guy too, they sucked.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't see how Kojima starting his own studio and immediately procuring funding from a first-party company is being on the way out.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Kamiya's quote could equally apply to Sakamoto deciding to make Samus a whimpering little girl in Metroid: Other M or Miyamoto getting rid of all the actual jokes in Paper Mario: Sticker Star. Lionizing game developers for being full of themselves to the point of ignoring feedback is stupid when it's made way, way more bad games than good ones.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Viewtiful Joe is actually loving amazing and remains one of the better games in its genre (even if future Hideki Kamiya games ended up being even more awesome) so I'm glad he didn't listen to stupid butthead testers.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That quote doesn't come off as ignoring all feedback, just bad focustesting that would result in Fuse-ing a game if one followed it thoughtlessly.

e: Sticker Star was a direct response to player feedback, lol

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 20, 2016

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

They reused PSX for this:

It was only released in Japan in 03 and it was a video recorder and a fully integrated PS2. It sold like poo poo and was never released outside of Japan and then discontinued.

A PS2 with a slot-loader drive is something I'd like

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

only now do i get the Six Machine/Six Majin pun

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Stylish Alastor, the Midnight Thunderboy

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Now that it's super cheap I picked up Arkham Knight on PS4

Don't really understand why people didn't like it, the Bat Tank owns

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

For the new games? Ok can ignore that guy too, they sucked.

were they too hard for you

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

corn in the bible posted:

were they too hard for you

Were too easy, try to beat ninja gaiden on the NES. Chump

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Palpek posted:

I'm sure everybody in this thread waited for the new game from Hatred devs - IS Defense: http://store.steampowered.com/app/448370/

As expected it starts with an Omaha Beach level.

That screenshot looks like a 1:1 remake of a terrible track ball arcade game released in 2000 that I forget the name of at the moment.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

In Training posted:

That screenshot looks like a 1:1 remake of a terrible track ball arcade game released in 2000 that I forget the name of at the moment.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I remember it's Beach Head 2000! It's actually a joystick. I can't find any good video of it because it's one of the most unremarkable games I've ever played

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Should have refreshed the page!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

quote:

This game is our small side-project and is our personal veto against what is happening in the Middle East nowadays.

I don't think that is how vetos work.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Were too easy, try to beat ninja gaiden on the NES. Chump

it was easy with the power of the power glove

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

In Training posted:

I remember it's Beach Head 2000! It's actually a joystick. I can't find any good video of it because it's one of the most unremarkable games I've ever played

there's actually also beach head 2002 which featured this incredibly uncomfortable arcade machine

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
My god, Quantum break stops the gameplay to have you watch 22 minute episodes at a time? Is this real life?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Viewtiful Joe is actually loving amazing and remains one of the better games in its genre (even if future Hideki Kamiya games ended up being even more awesome) so I'm glad he didn't listen to stupid butthead testers.

He specifically ignored advice from kids. Which is totally good since kids haven't developed taste and are still usually in the "Loves super popular thing because the marketing is good or just following" or " thinks everything popular is bad" stage of their life.

People who never grow out of these are "casuals" or "grognards". Both are won over by marketing so basing design around them is terrible.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tenzarin posted:

My god, Quantum break stops the gameplay to have you watch 22 minute episodes at a time? Is this real life?

your options are stream them or d/l 75 gb too.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
In Quantum Break, Doors can kill you?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

What I meant is Kamiya had a good idea with VJ, but asking kids? Whether children or manchildren, their opinion is about as useful as a bag of dogshit on your doorstep.

Kojima didn't elaborate on coders changing his intent. Sometimes developers ask for the impossible, or to bend a system just to make a vision work(the ice cubes in MGS2). Mentioning Snatcher seems to make it slightly dated, so I think that might have been a case of technical limitations way back when, and he's been jaded ever since.

And Itagaki just sounds like a dick, but it would be perfectly justified if his team or he actually played through it first. The situation where even the game devs can't beat their own game is artificial difficulty, and bad design.

They all did good things, but even so, there's room for improvement, even if it's just a matter of perception.

Palpek posted:

I'm sure everybody in this thread waited for the new game from Hatred devs - IS Defense: http://store.steampowered.com/app/448370/

As expected it starts with an Omaha Beach level.

More amazing is that despite it's political message, it might sell gangbusters on gameplay alone

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Real hurthling! posted:

your options are stream them or d/l 75 gb too.

Jesus Christ, 75 gigs are you kidding? This is the masterpiece they launch the windows 10 store with?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

precision posted:

Now that it's super cheap I picked up Arkham Knight on PS4

Don't really understand why people didn't like it, the Bat Tank owns

It's a good game and the Bat Tank does own even if it doesn't really fit and gets kind of tedious.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The Bat tank was fun, for like the first 4 hours. Then after you kill countless drones, it loses its appeal. You fight more in the drat tank.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I think the same can be said about all of the side missions in that game though, just like any other modern open world game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Hey did anyone feel like buying a Nissan after playing Quantum Break?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tenzarin posted:

Hey did anyone feel like buying a Nissan after playing Quantum Break?

can afford one after i got all my money stolen by a scam windows phone app

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

can afford one after i got all my money stolen by a scam windows phone app

i didnt think quantum break was that bad

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
http://astral-veil.tumblr.com/post/143092394702/lordranandbeyond-kirks-thorny-fan-club

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

I've been hearing that apparently gameplay wise it's pretty good?? Can anyone confirm/deny that?

As someone who has played over a hundred hours each of ds1, 2, and Bloodborne, ds3 has really, really good gameplay. I think that the gameplay itself is the best of the three dark souls, but it's apples and oranges with Bloodborne.

I've played loving asstons of ds2, both vanilla and sotfs. Ds3 is much better.

I'm not completely sold on the bosses in ds3 yet, but I have a few left before I beat the game.

Ds3 has the most quality of life improvements of any soulsgame. Oh except ds1 style leveling.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Snak posted:

Ds3 has the most quality of life improvements of any soulsgame.

Once again they forgot all the covenant improvements from ds2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think Macaluso was asking about the Nazi game

Tenzarin posted:

Once again they forgot all the covenant improvements from ds2.

Like what? Being able to switch covenants on the fly is a nice addition

• Locked thread