Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xaris posted:

Are you playing solo? I played it duo and it was mostly fun, and we've had good sucess grabbing 1-2 more people from quick matchmaker to finish missions faster. I couldnt imagine playing it solo though because it'd be boring as gently caress.

But yeah the way guns and poo poo work in that are kind of stupid, especially in dark zone. I think it would have worked better just going ~mutated zombie people~ angle ala L4D than some not-black thug going ayy lmao for a zillion bullets--at least thematically anyways. There were really only like 3 variety of enemies too, not-black thug, the not-stormtrooper guys, and flamethrower dudes. It was kind of sad.

I'm doing most of my faffing about solo, I matchmake for missions because gently caress going solo on those. My rant about the flamethrowers and snipers was actually on a 3 man team, we kept getting our asses handed to us and ended up cheesing the gently caress out of the mission by falling back, ambushing everyone with turrets and then spending 20 minutes plinking away at the snipers. I was headshotting them for 5k each shot and still took 3 or 4 shots to bring down a single life bar.

Also yeah, totally not black rioters. No sir, not at all. Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Ragequit posted:

I am sure I will severely regret this, but how is Transistor a carbon copy of Bastion?

Other than turn based vs. real time combat, it's basically the same game. Isometric action RPG, same engine (albeit upgraded), world facing "deconstruction" due to some vague disaster, silent protagonist, chatterbox narrator voiced by Logan Cunningham, colorful hand-painted visual aesthetic, loadout with mix-and-match upgrading, mix-and-match handicap system to add challenge...

Then throw in bad pacing, non-stop inane :jerkbag: twaddle from the narrator and head bad guy, and forced advances with no backtracking.

I liked Bastion a lot, but Transistor was a disappointing follow-up.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Niggurath posted:

Ronin is pretty janky and not amazing, Gods will be watching was originally unfun RNG nonsense that was later patched to just be a regular poorly written adventure game, and Not a hero is good as long as you skip any of the jokes in the game because the writing is horrible.

Thanks!

I did a double take when I looked at the Not a Hero store page and wondered if I already had it, but I was thinking of "Hell Yeah", an entirely different XTREME platformer with an evil rabbit and atrocious writing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm doing most of my faffing about solo, I matchmake for missions because gently caress going solo on those. My rant about the flamethrowers and snipers was actually on a 3 man team, we kept getting our asses handed to us and ended up cheesing the gently caress out of the mission by falling back, ambushing everyone with turrets and then spending 20 minutes plinking away at the snipers. I was headshotting them for 5k each shot and still took 3 or 4 shots to bring down a single life bar.

Also yeah, totally not black rioters. No sir, not at all. Nope.

The Division was fun for the three weeks I wanted something to showcase my fancy new graphics card but I'm glad that I got it for free. It does some cool things and it's good for the 1-30 experience and some group dungeons, but that's about as far as I think I'll ever go with it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Jamfrost posted:

Gotta get your money's worth. And sometimes, sometimes you just want to keep going to see exactly how awful a game is unless it's outright broken. I did that with Scourge: Outbreak.
And Resident Evil 6

To be clear, I'm not calling The Division awful. I knew from the beta that it wasn't my kind of dealio.

Edit: Oooooh, IS Defense is out. Anyone try it? http://store.steampowered.com/app/448370/

:raise:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
IS Defense looks pretty good, and Melty Blood is coming out in a couple hours too. My wallet can't survive this

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

"How to deal with refugees simulator" is a good description of a good game: Papers, Please.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm excited to listen to the soundtrack to the new supergiant game

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Jamfrost posted:

Edit: Oooooh, IS Defense is out. Anyone try it? http://store.steampowered.com/app/448370/

lol, they're not even trying to hide the fact that they're neo-nazis

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

ShadowMar posted:

:yikes:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ShadowMar posted:

Haha no guys they're just Paladins you know felllas like in Diablo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ShadowMar posted:

Can't wait for the "ironic" purchases and "actually it's cool and good" posts.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

owl_pellet posted:

Is Titan Souls worth $10 y/n

It sounded kinda garbo. Like when you die to a boss you have to run back to it through a level full of nothing for a couple of minutes?

nah, not really. I wrote a short steam review a while back.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Doctor Cave posted:

The weeklong deals were way more interesting before the .49 cent minimum price was introduced
Is that what happened? I wondered why there aren't any games going for more than 90% over the last few months. Do you have a more detailed source?

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Year Walk
NT5BF-6DNYC-FR4XR

Dustforce
KG20N-J5ADP-WCGV0

Giana Sisters
I2TMG-LZCPC-PLR97

Contagion
WZZNB-2C52K-PDDLC

Dreamrunners (Giana Sisters)
5M5MR-DZZER-CK6VY

theHunter:Primal (thought of keeping, but i cant imagine actually playing it)
0R9TN-2VR6Z-CZHYE

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ShadowMar posted:

i cant decide if i feel weird or totally normal for not immediately connecting that image with nazis

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Tales from the Borderlands

I bet if you told someone last year that a Borderlands adventure game would be one of the best games of the year, I’m sure most people would think you’re full of poo poo, I know I would. But now that I’ve finally played through TftB, I have to say that it’s in my Top 3 GOTY 2015 alongside Witcher 3 and Undertale. (That was originally Life is Strange’s spot for most of the year until the lovely last episode, didn’t think Borderlands would be taking that spot either) I think Tales is far and away Telltale’s second best game, only being beat out by Walking Dead Season 1. It’s a strongly written roller coaster ride that feels longer than it is in a good way. (And it’s around nine hours or so give or take so its decently long to begin with for an adventure game.)

Tales starts off with Rhys, a slick 80’s corporate style salaryman (One really apt comparison I’ve seen is to the Boneitus guy from Futurama) who works for Hyperion, a galactic weapons manufacturer. Hyperion is headquartered on the space station Helios which orbits Pandora, a harsh world filled with deadly creatures that acts as dimensional hub that leads to secret and heavily guarded areas filled with priceless ancient alien technology called Vaults. Hyperion has a vested interest in unlocking vaults but so do all the cutthroat bandits and mercs that live on Pandora as well. Rhys and his coworkers, Vaughn and Yvette, hatch a scheme to steal a deal from their new rear end in a top hat boss, Vazquez, for a Vault Key so the three can get rich quick. Rhys and Vaughn make it planet-side but the deal goes wrong. Rhys and Vaughn are soon dragged into an alliance with the other protagonist character, the Pandoran con-woman Fiona, as they get embroiled into an adventure that determines the future of the planet.

I think one of the major strengths that Tales shares with TWD Season 1 is that both were free to be their own stories. Borderlands has more of the characters from the original source material appear, but because they’re just a bunch of treasure-hunting mercs from an FPS where they just shoot poo poo and aren’t tied into any real plots Telltale could do what they wanted with them. Funny thing is Tales is actually a direct sequel to Borderlands 2 as its events feature heavily in the plot, but you don’t have to play or even like 1 and 2 to enjoy Tales. Borderlands as a series doesn’t deserve a game as great as Tales really.

Tales is genuinely funny on its own merits. The main series is rather infamous for its Internet meme laden writing, but Tales takes the high road and instead has the cast be likeable and have the comedy come from their interactions and other silly situations. If there is any references they tend to actually be good. (Like one real good in Episode 4) And as I said the writing is real strong, the characters are all likable and they develop over the course of the game.

Gameplaywise it’s more on the linear side like Telltale’s recent fare, it tends to just shuttle you along through interactive cut scenes, but there’s enough there to keep you engaged. (It sure as gently caress is leagues better than Game of Thrones) You play as both Rhys and Fiona depending on the section of the game, though you play them separately and can’t switch between them or anything like that. Choices are in the TWD Season 1 vein, where you can change the characters' personalities and their relationships. This is illustrated best with the ending which allows you to recruit characters you’ve befriended throughout the game. The ending itself is great and ties together everything real well and can bring some great conclusions to the characters’ arcs. (One of which most people missed out on, but I didn’t.)

Tales from the Borderlands is overall just one of those pageturner type games where you don’t want to put it down until you’re done. Its charming and entertaining as gently caress and if this ends up being the last quality game Telltale ever makes, at least they ended on a hell of a high note. Definitely pick it up in the Humble Bundle going on right now. (Skip the $12 tier though, it ain't pretty.)

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 20, 2016

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Awesome! posted:

i cant decide if i feel weird or totally normal for not immediately connecting that image with nazis

Should go with normal.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Accordion Man posted:

Tales from the Borderlands

I bet if you told someone last year that a Borderlands adventure game would be one of the best games of the year, I’m sure most people would think you’re full of poo poo

TFTB is probably my fav TT game. That and Wolf.

King Keltair
Jul 16, 2001

strategery posted:

Dreamrunners (Giana Sisters)
5M5MR-DZZER-CK6VY

Thanks for sharing!

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Niggurath posted:

Also it looks like the Hatred dev's new game got released with no fan fare, so if you wanted to play an on rail shooter killing Isis members then ummmm there's plenty of Call of Duty games already on the market.

Judging from the trailer, it's not even on rails. It's just turret sequences with brown guys running at you.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Seconding this suggestion. Tales from the Borderlands is the best Telltale game to date and still good even if you don't like their style of game or the Borderlands series. It's just that good and you should get it if you haven't.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Suspicious Cook posted:

still good even if you don't like their style of game or the Borderlands series
as someone who couldnt get through walking dead season 1 or borderlands 2 im not gonna take your word on that sorry

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Awesome! posted:

as someone who couldnt get through walking dead season 1 or borderlands 2 im not gonna take your word on that sorry

Do take his word for it, it's utterly fantastic. I never finished any other TT game and barely finished BL2 but I love TFTB.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The fact that the edgelords who were hyping up Hatred can't even pretend like it was good or interesting enough to defend the studio's next game is really all that needs to be said.

I played Wolf Among Us and Tales from the Borderlands back to back and it really drove home how lovely Wolf's ending chapter was and how great Tales' was. Wolf's final act is among the shortest in the game and has every character being an unlikable rear end in a top hat no matter how you acted earlier and nothing really resolves, Tales' is one big epic victory lap for everyone where the stuff you did in the game up to that point effects the big climax.

Though I can't help but feel like I was trolled by having saved up enough money to hire the top-secret Vault Dweller and have it turn out to be loving Claptrap. Especially when the game did such a good job avoiding the obnoxious Borderlands monkey cheese nerdbait up to that point, even Chris Hardwick was perfectly serviceable and Handsome Jack wasn't nearly as annoying as he could have been.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Guy Mann posted:

Though I can't help but feel like I was trolled by having saved up enough money to hire the top-secret Vault Dweller and have it turn out to be loving Claptrap.

Yes, that's the joke. You minmaxed at the cost of doing something fun and now you're paying for it.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Awesome! posted:

Goon hyperbole and all that, but it's one of the most memorable games I have played lately. I didn't like Borderlands either, but this was something all on its own. Think of it as just sharing the aesthetics of Borderlands. Lots of great lines, scenes, and characters. If you don't like the point and click adventure genre, that's cool, but if you do and pass on TftB, you are just being silly.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

mycot posted:

Yes, that's the joke. You minmaxed at the cost of doing something fun and now you're paying for it.

That might have worked if the money system actually mattered at all beyond three completely arbitrary cosmetic items.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Awesome! posted:

It's totally normal to not immediately connect it to nazis, but also totally normal to connect the dots between the two.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Freak Futanari posted:

Melty Blood is coming out in a couple hours too.

I'm excited to play this again. Only ever played the first version a long time ago

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Wolf Among Us was cool but I probably got more mileage out of the game's aesthetic than anything else in the game. I think it's the best looking of telltale's games, though not the best written.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Linnaeus posted:

I'm excited to play this again. Only ever played the first version a long time ago

I'm pretty hyped but i'm waiting to hear what people say about the netcode before buying it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Lord Lambeth posted:

Wolf Among Us was cool but I probably got more mileage out of the game's aesthetic than anything else in the game. I think it's the best looking of telltale's games, though not the best written.

The voice acting was great too. THE CROOKED MAN :byodood:

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

let's check the comments on the only negative review for IS defense

ah.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

eonwe has a lot of steam accounts! :eonwe:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ShadowMar posted:

let's check the comments on the only negative review for IS defense

ah.
The sheer whiteness is overwhelming.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

The sheer whiteness is overwhelming.

"a first impression of somethingawful.com"

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Did cuckold pick up a new definition that I don't know about? Edit: Woah! That word isn't allowed apparently.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i love that word filter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jamfrost posted:

Did cuckold pick up a new definition that I don't know about? Edit: Woah! That word isn't allowed apparently.
The word filter for it is a very good example of its new definition.

• Locked thread