Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

im sure there's a niche in the hooker market for a big breasted anime dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Encrypted posted:

what are people even arguing here besides getting blue stymied?
most of the newer ios update are essentially just patches and some optimizations here and there, and hardware are getting a lot faster now that most things will run decently years after

i'm not really arguing, i wanted to know what the gently caress he was talking about with the 5s, since i have one, and it appears to be fine. turns out he wasn't talking about the 5s, idk?

the xp thing is pretty lol though, because that is some serious rose-tinted bullshit. microsoft maintained it and it ran like rear end by the end of extended support

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

i got an old 5 on 9.3 and it runs fine, no lag typing or poo poo. amethyst is full of poo poo lol.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

OSI bean dip posted:

i just want to know what they do for work :smith:

lol you dishonest piece of poo poo. if your going to weasil around and try to set up a job burn do it honourably

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Amethyst posted:

lol you dishonest piece of poo poo. if your going to weasil around and try to set up a job burn do it honourably

i am not looking for a job burn. please tell me what you do for work

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sudo Echo posted:

i got an old 5 on 9.3 and it runs fine, no lag typing or poo poo. amethyst is full of poo poo lol.

a friend of mine has one too. i don't use his phone much except for itunes remote occasionally, but there wasn't anything noticeably wrong with it

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

infernal machines posted:

microsoft pushed security patches for xp for over a decade, yes. and i can tell you with absolute certainty those fixes changed the performance of the os, eventually degrading it noticeably on older hardware. i can say this, and know i'm right because for a chunk of that decade part of my job involved building and testing images for deployment

I don't believe it was true to the same extent, there certainly weren't mass complaint about it liket here are about ios

but even if that is true, it was always possible to downgrade to a version of windows that worked smoothly.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

and lol @ people who are clamoring for downgrades without caring for the possible complications

downgrading without proper baseband patches, since not every version will re-patch the baseband, will essentially brick your radio or crash the call function, downgrading without matching bootsector also brick your phone

the possibilities are endless especially when users are idiots

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Encrypted posted:

and lol @ people who are clamoring for downgrades without caring for the possible complications

downgrading without proper baseband patches, since not every version will re-patch the baseband, will essentially brick your radio or crash the call function, downgrading without matching bootsector also brick your phone

the possibilities are endless especially when users are idiots

apple can, and should, provide baseband downgrade patches. don't tell me this is impossible

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Amethyst posted:

I don't believe it was true to the same extent, there certainly weren't mass complaint about it liket here are about ios

but even if that is true, it was always possible to downgrade to a version of windows that worked smoothly.

... and not have updates. because the updates were changing the os in ways that required more resources to run.

i literally did this for a living, it did exist and if you really need that to be proven go take the vm challenge i mentioned. people have complained about this poo poo for years, you've just somehow only picked up on it in the context of ios

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

you don't need to do a vm side by side comparison to know that xp machines didn't become unusuable pieces of poo poo with no way out from microsoft within 3 years dude.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Amethyst posted:

apple can, and should, provide baseband downgrade patches.

wait why? that you almost certainly don't want to do, and if we're just turning the magical development firehose on old os versions, why not just patch ios8 to sup[port the new baseband while we're backporting all the security fixes for everything else?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Amethyst posted:

people didn't complain about it as much (they still did, but it wasn't as loud, your right), BUT by that point windows xp installations probably ran like dogshit anyway and it was hard to tell the difference between a slow clean install and a bogged down eight year old installation infested with malware.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

wait why? that you almost certainly don't want to do, and if we're just turning the magical development firehose on old os versions, why not just patch ios8 to sup[port the new baseband while we're backporting all the security fixes for everything else?

that would also be an acceptable solution

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Amethyst posted:

you don't need to do a vm side by side comparison to know that xp machines didn't become unusuable pieces of poo poo with no way out from microsoft within 3 years dude.

they shipped that way :smuggo:

but you didn't say anything about 3 years until just now. over the extended life cycle of the os, even after only five years, there were pretty major differences in performance on machines that had shipped with xp at launch

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Amethyst posted:

apple can, and should, provide baseband downgrade patches. don't tell me this is impossible
why?

do you think its better to let users have android level of system control?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pretty clearly, yes.

a selective patcher and full ability to revert to insecure versions.

on an appliance.

but hey, to each their own.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Encrypted posted:

why?

do you think its better to let users have android level of system control?

so that people can keep using their perfectly functional hardware. not sure why yosposters are constantly asking me to repeat myself

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy
once again, I'm just not seein' it.

there's two types of computer whiz: one will just say "get the latest iphone if yours is running slow"

the other kind downloads roms off of XDA, jailbreaks their phone, looks at graphs comparing cell phone performance, and posts earnestly in the android thread in IYG. you're actually advocating that people interact with the latter kind?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I threw away my iphone and got a winphone because its ftw.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what winpho did you get?

is 10 less laggy than the beta? cause that was some sarnsung level poo poo

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Sudo Echo posted:

the background app running and refresh feature they added allowed apps to make the phone run like poo poo but hey that's a check box you can remove. so turn that feature off and you're set

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

does anyone know of any way to save an audio file in ios, without using itunes? i don't care how, even if it's a third party app or whatever. you can save pdfs and web pages for offline viewing but audio files seem to be left out, for some reason

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

what winpho did you get?

is 10 less laggy than the beta? cause that was some sarnsung level poo poo

950. its not laggy at all. its great.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i was thinking about getting that, but then apple released the not-huge phone, and welp

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i was thinking about getting that, but then apple released the not-huge phone, and welp

the iphone se is so good

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

if you don't care about apps boy has MS got the phone 4 u

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sudo Echo posted:

to be fair there was lag in ios8 and ios9 on stevephones 5 but they fixed it in 9.1 or w/e

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

amethyst is obv an apple marketer. sowing the seeds that your current phones are slow and need to be upgraded.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Amethyst posted:

so that people can keep using their perfectly functional hardware. not sure why yosposters are constantly asking me to repeat myself
and like many people have pointed out that those hardware are perfectly functional on new ios due to the fact that the hardware has gotten so much faster

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

graph posted:

to be fair there was lag in ios8 and ios9 on stevephones 5 but they fixed it in 9.1 or w/e

the only time I got annoyed with slowness was with the original iOS 7 release when they added all those animations that took way too long. that has long since been fixed though. apple gave me a free new battery (replaced in store in 30 minutes) since mine was a day 1 phone so the battery is still great too. apple support has been nothing but good to me.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

graph posted:

wait are you saying that if the issue he's complaining about even does exist it's specifically because he hasn't updated?

no. no that's too much now

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

moonshine is...... posted:

amethyst is obv an apple marketer. sowing the seeds that your current phones are slow and need to be upgraded.

explains it. they work for apple and want to keep their role within the organization a bit hidden. what's your job title, amethyst?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
this is getting sad, dude

just accept that you got owned by amethyst and move on

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Amethyst posted:

This is in the best interest of exactly no one

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

if you don't care about apps boy has MS got the phone 4 u

windows phones are great if you want a large screen feature phone

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

feature phones are for olds

maine has the oldest population in the us

interesting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Millstone posted:

This is in the best interest of exactly no one

i mentioned that. tbf, i don't think he knows what the baseband firmware does, and he certainly doesn't care

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the agreeable solution was "maintain concurrent development of every os release in perpetuity, with bug and security fixes ported between them, with no performance degradation on any supported device"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

the agreeable solution was "maintain concurrent development of every os release in perpetuity, with bug and security fixes ported between them, with no performance degradation on any supported device"

you keep saying this, and I keep telling you multiple vendors have maintained long term support for various OS releases.

if you keep repeating a lie for long enough it doesn't magically become true

• Locked thread