Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Decoy Badger posted:

I was really excited about that mech until I looked it up and realized that "AP Gauss Rifle" doesn't mean Armour-Penetrating and is in fact much less grand than I imagined.

Goodbye, 155 damage/turn battlecruiser-esque fantasy.

If it makes you feel better they're War Crimes gauss rifles. Between those and War Crimes LRMs I guess we have a real party coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They're gauss rifles made to shoot at people. :gonk:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

They're gauss rifles made to shoot at people. :gonk:

Wrong! They're mech sized gauss rifles designed to be shot at people. :goonsay:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Back Hack posted:

Wrong! They're mech sized gauss rifles designed to be shot at people. :goonsay:

Elemental sized. The mech version came later and is basically just a box around the toad version.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
How does that work? Is it just a .50 cal sized Gauss slug? Or what?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Amaris using his technology is a pragmatic choice. He has advanced but non-unique technology.

If he doesn't use it and doesn't need it, great.

If he doesn't use it and does need it, he's screwed.

If he does use it and doesn't need it, great.

If he does use it and does need it, great.

There is no downside to using his technology while he still has access to it.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 20, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Artificer posted:

How does that work? Is it just a .50 cal sized Gauss slug? Or what?

It's a half ton needler. Flechettes everywhere at ridiculous speeds. Ferrous flechettes instead of the shredded plastic that self defense ones in this setting use.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 20, 2016

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

It's a half ton needler. Flechettes everywhere at ridiculous speeds.

holy poo poo

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
So I guess the "AP" stands for "anti-personnel"?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
AP does indeed stand for anti-personnel.

What they do depends on the manufacturer. They either fire a burst of slugs (like the Clan Gauss SMG) or fire a single shotgun blast of weaponized metal flechettes.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

It's a half ton needler. Flechettes everywhere at ridiculous speeds.

:fap:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

AP does indeed stand for anti-personnel.

What they do depends on the manufacturer. They either fire a burst of slugs (like the Clan Gauss SMG) or fire a single shotgun blast of weaponized metal flechettes.

Each burst is about 50 pounds of hot iron at several times the speed of sound, regardless of how many pieces its in. Per gun. You do not want to be in the open when that thing unloads.

They're presumably fairly big projectiles given their armor penetration but gently caress.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 20, 2016

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

dis astranagant posted:

Each burst is about 50 pounds of hot iron at several times the speed of sound, regardless of how many pieces its in.

50 lbs of these going a ~4000fps

:psyboom:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

They do respectable damage to battlemechs too once you're in range. That Komodo can unload 30 points of damage (split across ten rolls, hello crits) into a clanner's face for 10 heat, and has enough sinkage spare to also pop off a capacitor LPPC shot (another 10 damage) in the same volley. It's a monster.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 20, 2016

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Bloody Pom posted:

They do respectable damage to battlemechs too once you're in range. That Komodo can unload 30 points of damage (split across ten rolls, hello crits) into a clanner's face for 10 heat, and has enough sinkage spare to also pop off a capacitor LPPC shot (another 10 damage) in the same volley. It's a monster.

This is assuming it doesn't run the laser AMS, which are likely very necessary for survival.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

So...war crimes, huh? Too bad we can't coat the flechettes in White Phosphorous or something.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Artificer posted:

So...war crimes, huh? Too bad we can't coat the flechettes in White Phosphorous or something.

The clans actually do that for a special squad level weapon.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Artificer posted:

The Ostscout's micro pulse laser is the last word in causing third degree burns and/or incineration.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

For all the talk of War Crimes weaponry, it is unlikely the Clans brought any orphans with them. And even less likely that they would care that someone auto-shotgunned them to death even if they had.

Freebirth extermination? Thanks Space-bama!

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
How does the War Crimes Weapon Platform stack up against aerospace?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tran posted:

It doesn't unless the aeros are very low flying. It can plink with the ppc otherwise.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Tran posted:

It would murder the poo poo out of the pilot, assuming that pilot was on the tarmac running to get into his aero.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Some enterprising Republic egghead needs to add ammo switching functionality to the Silver Bullet.

Essentially an LB-15X with gauss rifle range and no slug ammo. Airborne targets beware.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 20, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Silver Bullet's a piece of poo poo. The end-all be-all of AA is the HAG-40 (and by that, I mean it's a piece of poo poo. Let your fighters shoot down their fighters).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Silver Bullet's a piece of poo poo. The end-all be-all of AA is the HAG-40 (and by that, I mean it's a piece of poo poo. Let your fighters shoot down their fighters).

A perfected Silver Bullet with ammo switching and tcomp compatibility would be terrifying. HAG40 only does at most 8 clusters.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Thank you for reminding me of the mixed-tech dual HAG 40 Fafnir I designed. :unsmigghh:

Speaking of which, can we see a Fafnir in a future campaign? Pretty please?

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.
Dual HAG 40s are a thing. So are quad HAG-20s. Sure, installing them onto a Fafnir would get you a chassis with either loadouts 12 years quicker, but either armament is already encapsulated into a Cygnus. The 2 and 3 variant, respectively.

But between the two? I would also rather see a Fafnir

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The Cygnus looks awful and is a 95-tonner with an XL (clan-sized, but still). Also arm-mounted primary weapons. :barf:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That's what I want on my mech... EXPOSED AMMO FEEDS. Might as well paint "don't shoot me here (I'll die)"

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Eh, the HAG variants have inert rounds at least. The autocannon variants though... :gibs:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It also probably doesn't matter as much when precision shooting means your shots hit the same quarter of the mapsheet as your target.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bloody Pom posted:

The Cygnus looks awful and is a 95-tonner with an XL (clan-sized, but still). Also arm-mounted primary weapons. :barf:

not just an XL, a 380 XL. The engine alone is over 20 tons.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Does the AP gauss rifle fire specialized ammo, or is it just a brand name for the rifle? Can't find the rounds in Sarna (unlike armor piercing).

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

RA Rx posted:

Does the AP gauss rifle fire specialized ammo, or is it just a brand name for the rifle? Can't find the rounds in Sarna (unlike armor piercing).

It's a weapon.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anti-Personnel_Gauss_Rifle

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

I never claimed that the Cygnus was a good mech, just that it already has built-in the HAG loadouts in question. Given that it was made by the Clans, all its faults feel far more egregious. Particularly the exposed ammo feeds. It rather feels like the Scientists and Engineers involved in the creation of the Cygnus decided to ignore every single lesson of battlemech design and efficacy. It is a true Annihilator successor in design philosophy I suppose, but one still has to wonder why the result just had to be the Cygnus.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ronin Of Dreams posted:

I never claimed that the Cygnus was a good mech, just that it already has built-in the HAG loadouts in question. Given that it was made by the Clans, all its faults feel far more egregious. Particularly the exposed ammo feeds. It rather feels like the Scientists and Engineers involved in the creation of the Cygnus decided to ignore every single lesson of battlemech design and efficacy. It is a true Annihilator successor in design philosophy I suppose, but one still has to wonder why the result just had to be the Cygnus.

The other option is that the Scientist caste just hates the warriors and loves sending them off in deathtraps to "Earn their glory" :v:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
There's also the Dire Wolf D variant, which supports a pair of HAG-40s in the arms with considerably better armor and some close range torso mounted backup weapons.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

The other option is that the Scientist caste just hates the warriors and loves sending them off in deathtraps to "Earn their glory" :v:

Considering this is from the Hell's Horses, you might just be right. If they wanted the warriors to survive, they would have made an updated version of the Epona and called it a day rather than investing in the Cygnus.

E: But the Dire Wolf is a decent (minimum) assault mech in pretty much all of the variants. Not a "dedicated to a gimmick" mech like the Fafnir or the Cygnus!

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Ronin Of Dreams posted:

The Cygnus 2 isn't actually bad. It's the optimal weight for a 4/6 machine with an XL engine, it uses Endo instead of Ferro (unlike the Gladiator), and 2 HAG/40s with 12 shots each, plus 4 ERMLs, is a pretty nasty armament. Like okay, you can't alpha strike with it so the ERMLs are basically backup weapons, but 2 HAG/40s is still a solid arsenal even if 4 LRM-20s would probably be a better loadout. Its armor is pretty solid too-280 points, the max for a 95-tonner being 293 (so it's just 1 ton shy of max).

Like, there are actually bad Mechs, but the Cygnus 2 is not even close to one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ronin Of Dreams posted:

Considering this is from the Hell's Horses, you might just be right. If they wanted the warriors to survive, they would have made an updated version of the Epona and called it a day rather than investing in the Cygnus.

E: But the Dire Wolf is a decent (minimum) assault mech in pretty much all of the variants. Not a "dedicated to a gimmick" mech like the Fafnir or the Cygnus!

If your Clan mech isn't at minimum decent you did it on purpose. Designing Clan mechs is comically easy.

• Locked thread