Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

infernal machines posted:

:psypop:

the entire focus of the device's marketing has been "security". of course you can't loving root it

uh and since when with blackberries has that meant it had actual security

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
never, although being able to root it would definitely mean you don't have security

in theory, in bbOS apps were sandboxed well enough to prevent accessing data they shouldn't, and could be restricted by mdm policy with absolute control over the phone. that all goes out the window once you root the os because a kernel level shim can intercept and respond to mdm arbitrarily.

i mean, they're incredibly stupid, but they're not stupid enough to make a "secure" phone that dispenses with even the pretense of security

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

i mean, they're incredibly stupid, but they're not stupid enough to make a "secure" phone that dispenses with even the pretense of security

counterpoint: every other existing blackberry phone

in seriousness i expect the only reason you can't root the priv is because like 500 people total own one and none have the necessary expertise

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yeah, that's probably true, but i would have expected them to enforce bootloader signatures and other basic stuff that's been in android for years.

on the other hand, blackberry

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
blackberry got their reputation for security back when that meant that if the phone was stolen they could disable it and the thief wouldn't be able to read your email and messages. today security means a whole lot more. blackberries never evolved that ability particularly well and lol at securing android.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The Management posted:

blackberry got their reputation for security back when that meant that if the phone was stolen they could disable it and the thief wouldn't be able to read your email and messages. today security means a whole lot more. blackberries never evolved that ability particularly well and lol at securing android.

the old blackberry OS was actually good about pushing and backporting security updates. they weren't using a million common linux libraries so it wasn't an absolute shitshow and its hard to tell how much they were benefiting from security through relative obscurity, but actually did care and put a lot of effort in to supporting their handsets correctly. unmanaged devices had to opt in to updates which was stupid, but if you went through the trouble of putting up their mdm solution that could all be managed as well. meanwhile, apple was gunning for them hard since the 3gs when they started support exchange security policies and then MDM solutions and security profiles and blackberry went in the other direction and sold the only real feature they had that could have kept them afloat on corporate accounts and now they're just another lovely android OEM. if they put in a real effort to maintain their android handsets then maybe they can work back in to that sector but at this point they've completely trashed their track record and nobody is going to seriously consider a large rollout with their stuff until they have 2 or 3 years of demonstrated competency when iphone is an option. they should have stuck with bbos10 and weathered the storm but they'll be bankrupt before they can prove their android route viable

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

:psypop:

the entire focus of the device's marketing has been "security". of course you can't loving root it

I really don't know much about what goes into rooting or how people figure out how to do it, or why on some phones it's easy and others (the Priv) it's impossible. I wasn't even aware that the bootloader had anything to do with rooting. I thought the bootloader poo poo was from years ago when people used to use those stupid custom ROMs or whatever?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if the bootloader is locked down right it won't boot unsigned code, so no custom roms and nothing that affects the android kernel that isn't signed by a trusted authority (i.e. rim)

if you can gain root without those then your userland security is completely hosed and nothing running on the device can be trusted. either way once the phone is rooted you have no mdm security so the device can't be used anywhere that's required because there's no way to know if your mdm restrictions and commands are actually being enforced. and anything that has root access theoretically has access to all your otherwise "secured" data (e.g. mail, contacts, calendars) from your organization as well as your user credentials used to access that data

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rim might have survived if anyone actually wanted to use their mdm solution (BES), but it's been poo poo forever and if you're already running exchange newer than 2007 you already have one that will get the job done

then they made it so you needed two BES mdm solutions running if you had a mix of bb10 and pre-bb10 devices, and you had to buy separate cals for each. the newer one could manage android and ios too, but so could exchange, and 99 times out of 100 you already had all the cals for that

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I'm sure android-rim requires a third mdm solution because why the hell not

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

who knows, they launched with a $900 device that's competing with $0 carrier specials, no one but the truly strange have them

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

who knows, they launched with a $900 device that's competing with $0 carrier specials, no one but the truly strange have them

ordered one for an exec yesterday

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

did you get your bes12 deployment rolled out yet?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

did you get your bes12 deployment rolled out yet?

lol god no, if it supports exchange sec policy then that's all it gets. this same person insisted on yet another blackberry 5+ years ago and we refused to deploy bes and risk the entire exchange environment so we slapped a 3rd party mail app NotifySync on it and it ran like dogshit but worked. Then they got an Android Pro because it was the only thing with a hardware keyboard and they're still using it

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

if the bootloader is locked down right it won't boot unsigned code, so no custom roms and nothing that affects the android kernel that isn't signed by a trusted authority (i.e. rim)

if you can gain root without those then your userland security is completely hosed and nothing running on the device can be trusted. either way once the phone is rooted you have no mdm security so the device can't be used anywhere that's required because there's no way to know if your mdm restrictions and commands are actually being enforced. and anything that has root access theoretically has access to all your otherwise "secured" data (e.g. mail, contacts, calendars) from your organization as well as your user credentials used to access that data

Makes sense; I was just confused by your statement of "of course you can't root it" as if all the other phones that can be rooted were done so because the companies making them were cool with it or whatever. You do have to give RIM credit for making a phone that no one can root (the same way I guess that you could give Sony credit for making the Vita which no one can crack).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
again though it's unlikely that the priv is actually unrootable, instead of that it's sold so few units that there doesn't happen to be anyone with the necessary expertise owning one.

likely just security through obscurity

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The Macintosh Gambit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fishmech posted:

again though it's unlikely that the priv is actually unrootable, instead of that it's sold so few units that there doesn't happen to be anyone with the necessary expertise owning one.

likely just security through obscurity

this bears repeating. the people who would spend time figuring out how to root it probably aren't spending $900 on a phone that compares poorly with something you can get for free with a new contract

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

bes and risk the entire exchange environment

possibly my favourite bes anecdote, oob BES/BESX would render SBS2008 and SBS2011 unbootable if you actually followed their installation instructions because it required adding the BES service account to a protected group in a way that wiped out all the built in system account memberships

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

hence my Vita comparison :v:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I'm sure android-rim requires a third mdm solution because why the hell not

didn't blackberry buy Good Technologies for this purpose?

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

The Management posted:

didn't blackberry buy Good Technologies for this purpose?

blackberry bought good technology because they had another third party whitelabel mdm partner they were selling that went belly up.

so now in the field they have a mix of old and new mdm solutions with no migration path between the two beyond i imagine an automated uninstall/reinstall on the managed device.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

idk about the HoC, but anyone in the ontario parliament under 60 is rocking an iphone these days

HoC started giving choice of BB or iPhone 2 years ago

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

my first and only Good Technologies purchase was the SoundsGood 64MB MP3 Player for my Handspring Visor

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/21/gang-found-guilty-of-uks-largest-known-gun-smuggling-operation

quote:

The NCA put the gang under surveillance after receiving intelligence they had plans to illegally smuggle firearms into the country. Blackberry phones fitted with PGP (pretty good privacy) encryption software were sent to the Canadian mounties to be decoded, in order to intercept messages between the men.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i'm getting an image of a man in a log cabin, wearing a campaign hat, sitting in front of a crackling fire and fiddling with a blackberry

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
found one in the wild today. back in canada for my mom's convocation. introduced me to an english prof and he was checkin some email. the screen was terrible lmbo.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
GBS bad video thread made me remember this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOIlusV3Zgo

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Bonzo posted:

GBS bad video thread made me remember this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOIlusV3Zgo

right up there with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPv8PPl7ANU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Marx was right

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Tayter Swift posted:

in olden times this triggered the death pool

they got rid of their name (RIM), and they've stopped making BBRY OS devices, can anyone really say they still exist?

there's literally hundreds of poo poo android peddlers with sub 1% of the market already.

aside from abject failure and a single trademark and logo, what about old BBRY still exists?

do gsm BBRYs (the grand prize) still exist? :xd:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 3, 2016

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Mister Macys posted:

they got rid of their name (RIM), and they've stopped making BBRY OS devices, can anyone really say they still exist?

there's literally hundreds of poo poo android peddlers with sub 1% of the market already.

aside from abject failure and a single trademark and logo, what about old BBRY still exists?

do gsm BBRYs (the grand prize) still exist? :xd:

gently caress you for bumping this thread without having some titillating new factoid about blackberry's slow death

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6746572-will-quantum-computing-be-blackberry-s-waterloo-/

TL;DR - Quantum Computing could allow someone to break RIM's encryption which is about the last thing they have to stay in business.

Here's proof that Chen has no loving idea what's going on

quote:

While meeting with reporters last week following the release of BlackBerry's first-quarter financial results, Chen was asked about the impact quantum computing could have on the company's famous security. Chen said he doesn't really know anything about it.

"I suppose the algorithm will have to change," Chen said.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I red losing the signal last weekend it wasn't as laffo as I expected

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Bonzo posted:

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6746572-will-quantum-computing-be-blackberry-s-waterloo-/

TL;DR - Quantum Computing could allow someone to break RIM's encryption which is about the last thing they have to stay in business.

Here's proof that Chen has no loving idea what's going on

rim's encryption is loving worthless and has been since they started handing out their keys to any government that asked, so around 2001 or so

you don't need quantum computers to break the security of a network that routes everything through a single facility in waterloo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

quote:

A note went out earlier this week informing Senate staffers that they would no longer be issued BlackBerry handsets, since BlackBerry no longer makes them. (Jim Swift, a D.C. blogger, first flagged the memo.)

And so ends that era for BlackBerry, which managed to hold government handset contracts, despite its sharp sinking popularity, thanks to being seen as the most secure device.

The Canadian company is probably okay with that. It’s trying desperately to convince investors that it can flourish as a software and services company. Its first quarter revenue for that segment, reported last week, rose 21 percent annually to $166 million — jumping its mobile unit ($152 million in sales, a 44 percent drop).

"Despite my best efforts to tell the world I'm a lot more than just a phone company, every question I ever get is about phones," CEO John Chen told reporters this week.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
...r... ...rip?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

The Management posted:

A note went out earlier this week informing Senate staffers that they would no longer be issued BlackBerry handsets, since BlackBerry no longer makes them. (Jim Swift, a D.C. blogger, first flagged the memo.)

The Kins posted:

...r... ...rip?

poo poo. yup. I think this thread is done. it's been a good run

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
this thread reminded me that crackberry.com still exists and their forums are still active and... mannnnnn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

not with a bang, but with a sickening thud

• Locked thread