Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, it's pretty easy to have mis-evaluated Jace but I'm lost how anyone could have missed out that Avacyn is good enough to pre-order at $20.

Spending $80 on 4 whole cards isn't something everyone wants to or can do.

GeneX posted:

...why?

Reddit is full of people who will come out of the woodworks to scream about how any change to anything is awful. It's kinda like those days where a bunch of GBS poo poo-posters decide to invade various other forums. Except every day is one of those days. And instead of like 3 posters, who get probated in short order, it's like 100 of them, and they don't get the boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Serious question, when was the last time the raft of undisputed tier one Standard decks DIDN'T run between $300-$500? If you want the fully blinged top tier decks, it seems to me they've always been stupid expensive. And, it's usually a matter of one card in the list driving the price up so if you can make a budget replacement you can drop a Bant Company list, for example, from ~$600 to ~$300 just by not playing Jace. Furthermore, you can build $100 homebrews that can win games against average local players piloting tier decks just fine, if you play well. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Last standard winning with $20 homebrews against $1000 4c rally was the best thing. Of course that white aggro core has ballooned to $150, but what are you gonna do? Play brain in the jar, obviously.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

stinkles1112 posted:

Serious question, when was the last time the raft of undisputed tier one Standard decks DIDN'T run between $300-$500? If you want the fully blinged top tier decks, it seems to me they've always been stupid expensive. And, it's usually a matter of one card in the list driving the price up so if you can make a budget replacement you can drop a Bant Company list, for example, from ~$600 to ~$300 just by not playing Jace. Furthermore, you can build $100 homebrews that can win games against average local players piloting tier decks just fine, if you play well. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I remember having a lot of fun with that $50 Heroic Red deck in THS/KTK standard, and I was able to post respectable results with that. Maybe not tier one in some people's eyes but I stole a number of games from decks that were better, or at least more expensive.

Comedy answer: MURDERGOATS, tier one deck (of my heart)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

C-Euro posted:

I remember having a lot of fun with that $50 Heroic Red deck in THS/KTK standard, and I was able to post respectable results with that. Maybe not tier one in some people's eyes but I stole a number of games from decks that were better, or at least more expensive.

Comedy answer: MURDERGOATS, tier one deck (of my heart)

I kinda miss heroic. It was a fun mechanics, but it absolutely cannot survive modern.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
That feeling when your opponent has held off on cracking their Sinister Concoction and you get in for some unexpected damage to reduce them to 1 life.
:smaug: :getin:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm becoming more and more convinced that Voldaren Duelist is the best non-rare red creature in the set for Limited.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

stinkles1112 posted:

You could throw together U/G/r madness back in the day for like, fifty bucks, if you skimped on the duals and fetches. Skies was equally cheap, IIRC. Bog standard versions of Affinity were mostly commons and uncommons. But neither Skies nor U/G/r madness were undisputed tier ones; they had a few months to shine before Standard soldified and then got blown out by Rebels, Psychatog, and...Astral Slide? I'm probably missing some others in there on both sides.

God, I've been playing this game for so long.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 20, 2016

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Entropic posted:

I'm becoming more and more convinced that Voldaren Duelist is the best non-rare red creature in the set for Limited.

I'm not disagreeing.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Entropic posted:

Big fan of that card, it has been great every time I have cast it in limited

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

You could throw together U/G/r madness back in the day for like, fifty bucks, if you skimped on the duals and fetches. Skies was equally cheap, IIRC. Bog standard versions of Affinity were mostly commons and uncommons. But neither Skies nor U/G/r madness were undisputed tier ones; they had a few months to shine before Standard soldified and then got blown out by Rebels, Psychatog, and...Astral Slide? I'm probably missing some others in there on both sides.

God, I've been playing this game for so long.

I played Krark-Clan Ironworks instead of Ravager Affinity because it was much, much cheaper. Ironworks basically beat everything except Affinity, which it was really weak to because Disciple and an equally fast clock.

Ravager Affinity was about $200 if I remember right. Seriously, you guys don't understand - Chrome Mox was twenty dollars! That's absurd!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Ya it was right around Mirrodin era where standard started getting expensive. Ravagers and Chrome Moxen were $20/ea, unheard of in magic for years previously.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Balon posted:

Ya it was right around Mirrodin era where standard started getting expensive. Ravagers and Chrome Moxen were $20/ea, unheard of in magic for years previously.

Sorry but there were definitely 20 dollar type 2 cards in 98 when i started magic.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Yeah, even in Urza era the decks were expensive as hell. Masques was around the time that I started playing heavily, so the cheap decks from then onwards are what I remember.

Is it just a coincidence when we get powerful cards at common and uncommon in high enough density to make at least one viable competitive deck in Standard? WOTC is notoriously bad at figuring out what will be powerful and what won't, but it'd be nice to see them put some effort towards lowering the cost of decks or creating some cheaper alternative archetypes beyond Tribal (I know this will never happen).

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 20, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Yeah, even in Urza era the decks were expensive as hell. Masques was around the time that I started playing heavily, so the cheap decks from then onwards are what I remember.

gently caress it was 97 actually because i started playing magic the day tempest was released.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dehtraen posted:

Big fan of that card, it has been great every time I have cast it in limited

It starts to get silly in multiples. I'm playing my second draft deck that's had 3x of them right now, and it just steals so many wins. It very frequently turns a board state where your opponent passes expecting to maybe trade a creature and take 0-3 damage if you attack into a turn where they're taking 6-10 damage and don't get to kill anything.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Why are Lightning Axe and Fiery Temper constantly in the same pack? Fuuuuck. Obviously Lightning Axe is the pick, but it still sucks.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
lol the reason Helene tweeted for why they can't just use marked checklist cards for DFC's is "We might not have enough"

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Is it just a coincidence when we get powerful cards at common and uncommon in high enough density to make at least one viable competitive deck in Standard? WOTC is notoriously bad at figuring out what will be powerful and what won't, but it'd be nice to see them put some effort towards lowering the cost of decks or creating some cheaper alternative archetypes beyond Tribal (I know this will never happen).

common and uncommon is for limited, rare and mythics are for constructed

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

MiddleEastBeast posted:

lol the reason Helene tweeted for why they can't just use marked checklist cards for DFC's is "We might not have enough"

Good lord

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

MiddleEastBeast posted:

lol further at people complaining that now players have memorize the reverse side of each DFC because they can't flip the card around or ask a judge without giving away what's in the pack. You know, as if Pro Tour players who are drafting at the Pro Tour who haven't memorized every card in the set already. What the actual reason for not using checklist cards should be is that it's hard to mentally evaluate a card when all you see is the name and mana cost.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Man SCG Premium is worth it just to see how badly opinionated Ari Lax is.

"Mox Opal and the Urza Lands are severely overpowered, one enables a bunch of borderline decks and the other breaks the sacred rules of magic."

"Unban Jitte."

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Man SCG Premium is worth it just to see how badly opinionated Ari Lax is.

"Mox Opal and the Urza Lands are severely overpowered, one enables a bunch of borderline decks and the other breaks the sacred rules of magic."

"Unban Jitte."

He's right about the second one

E: Jitte actually goes a long way to nailing down the trinity of combo aggro that exists in Modern right now and most other decks don't care (Thopter, Tron), have answers to it (Jund, Grixis), or get stronger for having it around (creature decks, particularly Thalia decks).

Also it'd be really cool to have at least one good equipment in Modern that wasn't hugely combo dependent

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 20, 2016

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Unban Goblin Recruiter.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Unban Goblin Recruiter.

Legacy is ready.

Save Goblins, MaRo.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

MiddleEastBeast posted:

What did they do for PT drafts the first time around?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Entropic posted:

What did they do for PT drafts the first time around?

Everyone revealed their DFCs in the draft, I think.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

TheKingofSprings posted:

E: Jitte actually goes a long way to nailing down the trinity of combo aggro that exists in Modern right now and most other decks don't care (Thopter, Tron), have answers to it (Jund, Grixis), or get stronger for having it around (creature decks, particularly Thalia decks).

Also it'd be really cool to have at least one good equipment in Modern that wasn't hugely combo dependent

The reason you don't unban Jitte is because it is far too powerful in a creature mirror and has no deckbuilding cost other than "play creatures". It turns matches into farces because one player plays a Jitte and equips and the other player loses. You can't even kill the enemy Jitte with your Jitte because of the new legend rule. You get to keep a Jitte in play, but can't ever equip it because whoever went first gets to shoot down whatever creature you try to equip. It just leads to too many uninteractive games and provides no actual metagame advantage.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

ShadeofBlue posted:

Which assuming that's true, apparently still wasn't fair enough because this whole thing started with Finkel asking Helene if they'd be using round tables to draft at the PT so all players would have an equal view of all other players' picks rather than the usual rectangular pods.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Count Bleck posted:

I do think that "[Mana out] - [Mana in] <= 1" is a sacred rule of Magic, at least of Magic over the last decade-ish. That's why we don't get playable rituals, nor Sol lands that aren't highly specific.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Legacy is ready.

Save Goblins, MaRo.

This but unironically. I regret giving up on building Legacy Goblins when I did, if for no other reason than that I traded away the Caverns of Soul I had picked up for it and I really wish I had those back! :(

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ShadeofBlue posted:

And no pros got rules lawyery about "who has to announce whether they're taking the DFC first?"

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Which assuming that's true, apparently still wasn't fair enough because this whole thing started with Finkel asking Helene if they'd be using round tables to draft at the PT so all players would have an equal view of all other players' picks rather than the usual rectangular pods.

Huh. I actually thought they always used round tables for the PT drafts to begin with. Not sure why I thought that.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
If you are in vintage/legacy assuming infinite dollars, do you just run one-of the Mox's in your colors and Black Lotus. Is that just every deck or are there decks that don't want them like... I dunno RDW?

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Onmi posted:

If you are in vintage/legacy assuming infinite dollars, do you just run one-of the Mox's in your colors and Black Lotus. Is that just every deck or are there decks that don't want them like... I dunno RDW?

Moxen and lotus are banned in legacy. In vintage, some decks only play on color moxen plus lotus, particularly null rod aggro decks. RDW isn't a thing in vintage.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Rogue0071 posted:

Moxen and lotus are banned in legacy. In vintage, some decks only play on color moxen plus lotus, particularly null rod aggro decks. RDW isn't a thing in vintage.

All-in Red used to be a thing in certain Legacy metas, but it has achieved its final form in Eldrazi Stompy.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Entropic posted:

And no pros got rules lawyery about "who has to announce whether they're taking the DFC first?"

Timed draft, so I doubt that. Pick a card when you're told to pick a card, or flirt on a Warning on Limited Procedure Violation.

There's actually even a bit about situation like this for non-timed drafts in the MTR:

quote:

If the draft is not being timed, and two players do not wish to make a pick before the other player, the player closer to providing the other player with the pack picks first. If the players are equidistant, then the player in the lower seat number picks first.

Pre-sleeving the draft boosters for PT is hilariously clunky, but whatever.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

TheKingofSprings posted:

Immediate 4-of in my bogles deck

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Lunsku posted:

Timed draft, so I doubt that. Pick a card when you're told to pick a card, or flirt on a Warning on Limited Procedure Violation.

There's actually even a bit about situation like this for non-timed drafts in the MTR:

Pre-sleeving the draft boosters for PT is hilariously clunky, but whatever.

They already had to open, log, and stamp them, so it's not that much worse.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

Immediate 4-of in my bogles deck

Yeah, I'd put Peggy hill boggle champ Arlen Texas back together for that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

kizudarake posted:

Yeah, I'd put Peggy hill boggle champ Arlen Texas back together for that poo poo.

Muggsy Bogles and the 1993 Boston Celtics.

• Locked thread