Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love my 2011 Air, but it's understandable that the once 'insanely thin and light' option that now stands in the middle of the two others will be phased out. I'd be interested to see the performance difference of running something like Lightroom on the MacBook compared to my 5 year old hardware. Lack of SD slot would be a pain for me (and I'm not someone who moans about lack of ports on notebooks and I can see why they don't bother with it) but it's not really designed to do that kind of work. I just love travelling with my MBA, and a Pro feels massive in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
I bought one of these after getting the '15 Macbook. It is freaking fantastic. Lightweight, power pass through, all the ports I need. http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ANITHVQ/ref=nav_timeline_asin?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I was talking to my GF the other day about how those new MBs look perfect for travelling. She works in film and recently bought an iPad Air 2. I was wondering why she didn't opt for a MB but a thing I never considered is that the iPad also has a rear camera. I'm still eyeing that new rose gold MB though, my old MBP13" weighs a ton in comparison.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I love my 2011 Air, but it's understandable that the once 'insanely thin and light' option that now stands in the middle of the two others will be phased out. I'd be interested to see the performance difference of running something like Lightroom on the MacBook compared to my 5 year old hardware.

Not Lightroom, but it should be comparable:

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Bob Morales posted:

Best Buy via SlickDeals

http://slickdeals.net/f/8677815-bestbuy-have-apple-macbook-pro-on-sales-from-850-1250

Apple MacBook Pro 13.3" Laptop (MD101LL/A) $849.99 (500GB/4GB)

Apple MacBook Pro w/ Retina Display (MF839LL/A Latest Model) $1049.99 (128GB/8GB)

128GB on the low-end config is a loving joke especially when the 256GB model is $1249

Good deal on the 256 rMBP. I am close to saying gently caress my decision paralysis and grabbing one for even cheaper than the education discount. Blah. Just release the new one so I can decide Apple!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bob Morales posted:

Not Lightroom, but it should be comparable:

Ah neat, I'm not gonna buy a notebook for a while but at the worst it'd be a side-grade for performance while giving me a nicer screen and lighter/smaller machine. I know I shouldn't be using it for LR anyway, but its useful while travelling and processing some stuff in downtime.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I've done stuff on the 2014 13" rMBP while traveling, while it lacks somewhat in power compared to the 15" it is lighter and fits in my tiny photo backpack. You can sort of get around any resolution issues with SwitchResX, even if it isn't ideal.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Shame there still isn't a way to do 4K @ 60 with the rMB. Even with the crippledness of one port that'd make it an interesting option versus the 13" rMBP for my next upgrade.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
m7/8gb/256gb space grey rMB ordered.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: Big rumor news! :siren:

http://wccftech.com/amd-polaris-radeon-400-series-gpus-sweep-apple-design-wins/

MacBook Pros and iMacs might be getting AMD's brand spanking new Polaris 10 and 11 GPUs!

They're done with a 14 nm process and can drive a 1920 * 1600 screen at 60 fps using only 86W.

Mac laptops and desktops getting a cutting edge GPU? When was the last time this happened, the Beige G3?

Maybe it'll be the first GPU they don't bother underclocking. Sigh.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 19, 2016

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah neat, I'm not gonna buy a notebook for a while but at the worst it'd be a side-grade for performance while giving me a nicer screen and lighter/smaller machine. I know I shouldn't be using it for LR anyway, but its useful while travelling and processing some stuff in downtime.

Pshh, nah bro, forget about the haters. I edited HD video in FCPX for two years on my 11-inch 2010 MBA.

The Milkman posted:

Shame there still isn't a way to do 4K @ 60 with the rMB. Even with the crippledness of one port that'd make it an interesting option versus the 13" rMBP for my next upgrade.

iPad Pro, baby. :heysexy:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Binary Badger posted:

Maybe it'll be the first GPU they don't bother underclocking. Sigh.

Keep dreaming. THey need to make sure that people with second degree sunburns can set it on their bare thighs and redline the chip without causing any discomfort.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
TBF my last MBP got loving hot.

I bought hotsauce's MBP in SA Mart and am now furiously refreshing my tracking info.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Binary Badger posted:

Mac laptops and desktops getting a cutting edge GPU? When was the last time this happened, the Beige G3?

I'm guessing this is due to VR being a thing that people take seriously now. Remember that Oculus guy's comments about Mac support?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

wdarkk posted:

I'm guessing this is due to VR being a thing that people take seriously now. Remember that Oculus guy's comments about Mac support?

I think Apple couldn't give a gently caress but CPU perf is static as power reqs drop, and battery life is good enough so why not throw the energy into the GPU?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

wdarkk posted:

Yeah, but Apple has had a history of clamping its ears and going la la lah whenever people criticized its hardware, I'd bet good money that AMD wanted to use Macs as a tent pole to sell their new GPU and gave Apple a good deal on them.

The fact that the Polaris GPU is very power efficient, moreso than the R290/390Ms probably had Phil Schiller salivating at the prospect of offering even better battery life for rMBPs.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah, but Apple has had a history of clamping its ears and going la la lah whenever people criticized its hardware, I'd bet good money that AMD wanted to use Macs as a tent pole to sell their new GPU and gave Apple a good deal on them.

The fact that the Polaris GPU is very power efficient, moreso than the R290/390Ms probably had Phil Schiller salivating at the prospect of offering even better battery life for rMBPs.

Well there's criticism, and there's not being able to do something that might be "important" in the marketplace.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

AMD GPUs make me a sad panda but I accept the argument that NVIDA has also hosed up so it is luck of the draw. I welcome more battery life on a 15" rMBP tho.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Housh posted:

AMD GPUs make me a sad panda but I accept the argument that NVIDA has also hosed up so it is luck of the draw. I welcome more battery life on a 15" rMBP tho.

I hate both companies equally, AMD may make worse drivers and all, but none of their products have ever melted down to the point they damaged components near them for me.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I haven't had any issues with AMD/ATI drivers in the last decade. Meanwhile last week it took me an hour and a half to get nvidia's to install, and that was after a fresh, updated Windows 10 install. That system's been oddly unstable since the switch, too.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Current update was a little :effort: for what I want. I'd like to replace my 2013 MBA with something that is retina but 13". The 12" MacBook, for me, isn't that great of an option because I feel the jump to 13" is really big. Hopefully something needs suiting comes in June or I'll look back at the PC world I guess.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Hell yeah so for a moron like me if that Polaris thing is true is that great news?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Housh posted:

Wait what has nvidia done lately?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

wdarkk posted:

The lack of Thunderbolt 3 concerns me, since I feel like it makes Thunderbolt 3 at WWDC a little less likely.

Or it means that the rMBP will kick it off since it's the "Pro" machine and Apple can justify/offset the more expensive components there moreso than in the rMB.

Maybe the rMB gets it in the next year or two or maybe it never does. Really hard to guess.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

No I'm sorry I'm just not that bright. I figured they would refresh all their laptops at once. Back in the day their releases seemed more cohesive.

These days "cohesive" for Apple seems to be more about consistently hitting expected target dates than waiting to refresh every product in a category at once.

They'd rather have a low-key dedicated MacBook release and a smaller-than-it-could-be midsummer laptop event that everybody's learned to wait for (occasionally even with smaller mid-year refreshes in between based on the supply chain) than have a single event that's more news-packed and definitive.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

mediaphage posted:

Why on earth would Apple's updating their low-end macbook with Core m CPUs have remotely any bearing on updating their workstation notebooks?? It's goddamned april. just freaking wait til wwdc like the rest of us.

Please don't imply the MBPR is a workstation.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Binary Badger posted:

Dual Core G5 tower w/ 7800GT.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Even assuming the rumor mill is correct I don't see an AMD Polaris GPU as a huge change in direction for Apple. What they've consistently done over the last decade or so is first to choose a vendor, and second choose the GPUs from that vendor's lineup which offer the best performance inside the GPU power budget for that Mac model.

Like, when I got this late-2013 rMBP 15", it had what was (IIRC) essentially the best ~50W notebook GPU available on the market at the time. People still criticized it because it couldn't kick out nearly as many fps as you'd get from the 100W pseudo-notebook GPU like you might find in a behemoth alienware gamer brick.

Polaris isn't going to change this. AMD will offer a range of Polaris family chips at different power/performance operating points and Apple's still gonna Apple by choosing the ones compatible with long battery life, quiet operation, etc. There are still going to be PCs with faster GPUs, and as long as that's true there are going to be cutting edge games and whatnot that run better on a PC, and as long as that's true there's gonna be people complaining about Apple's GPU choices.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

~Coxy posted:

from their PoV; I couldn't care less one way or the other.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Depends on what kind of work you do. It is more than powerful enough for photo work and software development. I'd even hazard a guess to say it's no slouch with video editing too, perhaps not very complex timelines. I mean, an i7 with a dGPU and 16GB of RAM is a pretty nice computer.

neuralyzer
Dec 14, 2004
Pablo Picasso
I bought the late 2013 iMac and am loving it, but I also like playing games and the laptop video card just doesn't cut it. Since I only need 1 display, I figure my best bet is to buy a custom PC tower and connect the video card to the iMac. I see the GeForce 980 Ti has a Display Port and my Mac has a Thunderbolt port, so is it as simple as getting a Display Port to Thunderbolt cord and plugging it in? Want to make sure before I drop a wad of cash on a gaming tower.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

neuralyzer posted:

I bought the late 2013 iMac and am loving it, but I also like playing games and the laptop video card just doesn't cut it. Since I only need 1 display, I figure my best bet is to buy a custom PC tower and connect the video card to the iMac. I see the GeForce 980 Ti has a Display Port and my Mac has a Thunderbolt port, so is it as simple as getting a Display Port to Thunderbolt cord and plugging it in? Want to make sure before I drop a wad of cash on a gaming tower.

No. That won't work. Needs to be thunderbolt to thunderbolt for you to use target display mode on that iMac. Don't even think there are Windows drivers to do it.

neuralyzer
Dec 14, 2004
Pablo Picasso

benisntfunny posted:

No. That won't work. Needs to be thunderbolt to thunderbolt for you to use target display mode on that iMac. Don't even think there are Windows drivers to do it.

Dang, that's disappointing. That means there's no way to use the iMac display with a tower PC, right? :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm sure I've seen boxes that sit between consoles and the iMac display to do that, maybe that would work for a PC output too? Can't see why not as plenty of video cards just use HDMI these days.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

IIRC the 2011 27" iMac could be optioned with a highly customized Apple-exclusive desktop-only version of NVidia's top-tier notebook GPU.

That in itself isn't terribly interesting but the chip was momentarily the most powerful mobility-class GPU available.

From what I understand it made that particular iMac surprisingly decent as a gaming platform.

wdarkk posted:

I wish Apple would fully put their support behind unlocking TB3 to external 3rd party GPUs and really worked with AMD/Nvidia to make it accessible and consistently stable from a hardware and software perspectahahahahAHAHAHAHAHA

...in all seriousness though it's probably one of the easiest and cheapest ways for Apple to rapidly increase the available top-end graphics potential for OS X while prioritizing hardware aesthetics, size, and power consumption for most buyers. Keep making hyper-thin power sipping iMacs but enable power users to easily and stably roll their own eGPUs. It would take a big investment but Apple is absolutely flush with cash and it would arguably do a fair amount to increase the Mac's profile as a viable alternative to dedicated Windows machines. They're also probably never going to do it.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

It's not even that big an investment. All they have to do is comply with Intel's standard for Thunderbolt 3 and eGPU should work in Bootcamp with minimal driver effort. The biggest effort would go to making it work with OSX, but if Hackintoshes are any indication its not too big of a deal?

An eGPU enabled rMBP is my dream computer.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

They're also probably never going to do it.

Unfortunately this. Apple likes to keep things clean, simple and contained. As much as I love the idea of a refreshed Thunderbolt monitor hub paired with an optional eGPU, I can see Apple thinking it makes the desktop look messy (too many wires!) and dropping the idea.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

benisntfunny posted:

There are definitely people using target display mode from their Windows PCs on the older imac models.

He could theoretically buy a thunderbolt riser card for the PC:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/card.asp?Model=Thunderbolt%202%20AIC

Edit: or he could just hack together something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVacJp9QvLE

KingEup fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 20, 2016

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Are iMacs particularly fussy about RAM? I want to upgrade from 8GB to 16GB for my 27". e Hell, looking at the prices, I may just go ahead and go whole hog to 32GB.

Tide fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Tide posted:

Are iMacs particularly fussy about RAM? I want to upgrade from 8GB to 16GB for my 27". e Hell, looking at the prices, I may just go ahead and go whole hog to 32GB.

I just buy whatever spec Crucial lists from NewEgg/Amazon, sticking to brands like Crucial, Corsair, G.Skill, Kingston...