Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Why couldn't I tweak my setup before the first stage of the goon league? I under-steered off the cliff :killdozer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You should be able to, stage one in every week is set to allow vehicle tuning.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

just got this on xbox, its unforgiving but not as bad as WRC2015 or whatever which is nice. a good balance of arcade and simulation (though crash physics/gravity seems a little too exaggerated)

Anyway, I started off with the Alpine. it definitely takes some getting used to in regards to handling and I probably should have gone with an FWD car to start with, but I guess its all just practice.

Control wise I am using an elite controller with 2 paddles on the back, left mapped to down shift and right mapped to up shift. I moved Handbrake to X so that I can Bridge A/X and shift down and hit handbrake at the same time for hairpins.

anyone on xbox or using an xbox controller care to comment on deadzones and the like? i did a bit of tweaking but didnt really get a chance to use my setup after that.

Finally, its really annoying that shakedown times dont get recorded for comparison. What do you guys do to determin if a setup is ideal?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Left 6, and crest. Right 6, crest, crest, jump maybe.

https://fat.gfycat.com/EllipticalValidCowrie.webm

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I haven't played or bought this yet, but I got massive respect for rally drivers.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Left 6, and crest. Right 6, crest, crest, jump maybe.

https://fat.gfycat.com/EllipticalValidCowrie.webm

Case in point. I was terrified at those last few seconds right there.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Seriously, I don't know why half of them aren't dead after every race.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

ChrisXP posted:

I had exactly this when using my PS3 dualshock on my laptop using those rough MotioninJoy drivers. I then eventually found some combination of settings in MiJ where this didn't happen. I actually got a proper PC joypad and didn't have any more issues.

I don't know the F710 specifically, but does it have its own custom drivers that prevent Windows from seeing it as a typical controller?

I know people are probably aware of this already but there are much better drivers available for the DS3 controller than that MotionInJoy stuff. Some guy on a PS2 emulation forum made them and they work for me on both W7 and W10.

Here you go: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Laserface posted:

anyone on xbox or using an xbox controller care to comment on deadzones and the like? i did a bit of tweaking but didnt really get a chance to use my setup after that.

Deadzone feels pretty good at about 20 but for me the biggest help was turning down the ramping or whatever its called so that the stick to wheel movement is more of a 1 to 1 thing. The downside is I have to move my thumb more to steer harder, which isn't that much of a downside I guess. :)

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fV6fUR3OeU

Have something that's a bit more impressive than the little mis-jump that guy had.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

What the hell have they done to the handling / physics in this? I quit playing back around the Germany update because it felt like all the cars had zero traction and had buttery hockey pucks for wheels. I just reinstalled it today and decided to give it another shot and it feels miles better than it used to. I actually had a blast chucking the E30 around one of the long Finland stages and was in a constant state of panic from wrestling with the wheel and trying to not launch into the trees. Seriously, I don't know what all they changed since early access in regards to the driving model but goddamn, it's way more enjoyable.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

After Germany (I think starting with Finland) the entire handling model was overhauled on every car.

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE
Really enjoying working through the career in this. I got myself that 60's Lancia and have taken it through the open, clubman and now pro (I think it's called) championships. I've found my skills have improved at just the right rate that I'm always hovering between 1st and 4th as I move up the difficulties,

Question regarding car upgrades though. My '60s Lancia got stage 1 engine and weight reduction upgrades but now development seems to have stopped, does that sound right? My crew chief is nearly level 4 now and I've unlocked at least 1 set of perks for everyone which I have set to cover the development of the car.

I'm tempted to move up to a '70s car but dammit I'm enjoying this car so much.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Anyone with a wheel have tips for hairpin and acute turns? I currently don't have the shifter for the g29, so while turning its hard to keep track of the handbrake button. I either understeer into the corner or lose control on the exit. Its also easy to lose track of the paddle shifters as the is doing full turns.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Anyone with a wheel have tips for hairpin and acute turns? I currently don't have the shifter for the g29, so while turning its hard to keep track of the handbrake button. I either understeer into the corner or lose control on the exit. Its also easy to lose track of the paddle shifters as the is doing full turns.

I had the same problem and bound the handbrake to the clutch.

JEBOman
Dec 27, 2009
Is there a way to shift quickly into reverse when set to manual sequential? It shifts so slow that even if I'm only a few inches off the road and caught on a bush, it's still often faster to just take the eight second penalty to magic back onto the road.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

From my limited experience, using throttle in between downshifts or something of that nature makes it shift faster.

(I just mash the shift buttons and throttle while screaming "MOVE YOU loving PIECE OF poo poo")

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

AOTKPTW posted:

Really enjoying working through the career in this. I got myself that 60's Lancia and have taken it through the open, clubman and now pro (I think it's called) championships. I've found my skills have improved at just the right rate that I'm always hovering between 1st and 4th as I move up the difficulties,

Question regarding car upgrades though. My '60s Lancia got stage 1 engine and weight reduction upgrades but now development seems to have stopped, does that sound right? My crew chief is nearly level 4 now and I've unlocked at least 1 set of perks for everyone which I have set to cover the development of the car.

I'm tempted to move up to a '70s car but dammit I'm enjoying this car so much.

60s cars only have 3 unlocks; weight, engine, and advanced setup. Also you'll hit all 3 really quick. You can check the upgrade status of your car by finding it in the garage and then hitting X on an Xbox controller (not sure on Playstation, but it'll tell you at the bottom of the screen).

E: If you've gone through multiple locations, you've probably finished the unlocks.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Hi. I missed camera chat and I just wanna say I use the chase cam and a controller.

I regularly place 400th or so in the dailies, sometimes I get placed in the double digits.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Nice to see the goon league is back :cheers:

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

How to get pumped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWqVNHryQjw

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

The Delta S4 is my favorite car in the game but I just tried the Quattro out for the current event because I haven't spent much game time outside of the twincharged madness and steering with the gas pedal on the BMW E30.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

An accurate representation of every time I try driving the Opel Manta :allears:

That car is a goddamn handful. I spent probably an hour or two trying to do a clean, no crash no HUD no assists run of one of the longer Finland stages from cockpit view only and I either rolled, slammed into a tree, or did both every. Single. Time. And i'm probably gonna spend a few hours trying again tomorrow because goddamnit, if Ari Vatanen can tame this car then so can I.

Also, this game will probably result in me wearing out my G27 way too fast from the constant clutching, shifting, and maniacally sawing the wheel while I try to keep the Manta pointed down the road but I don't care, it's so worth it.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Ok, I think I screwed myself. I recently bought this game, and I'm doing OK with the Mini Cooper. Then I bought the Lancia Fulvia but I can't control it at all. Like literally can't even drive 100m straight. I retired the event, noticed I had 100k credits so I bought the Stratos :negative:
That's even more uncontrollable, really frustrating. Problem is I can only start events with the Stratos now, and I don't have money to buy another car. Why isn't there some way to sell cars?

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

T1g4h posted:

Opel Manta :allears:

That car is a goddamn handful.
:laugh:

Wait till you try the Lancia 037 if you think the Opel is the tough one from Group B RWD. :v:

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE

beedeebee posted:

Ok, I think I screwed myself. I recently bought this game, and I'm doing OK with the Mini Cooper. Then I bought the Lancia Fulvia but I can't control it at all. Like literally can't even drive 100m straight. I retired the event, noticed I had 100k credits so I bought the Stratos :negative:
That's even more uncontrollable, really frustrating. Problem is I can only start events with the Stratos now, and I don't have money to buy another car. Why isn't there some way to sell cars?

The Fulvia was my starting car. I've been through the open, clubman and am now in the process of going through the 3rd championship difficulty. It's only not just fully clicked for me but I found I was fairly competitive throughout, I'm yet to win an overall championship though.

I'm a babby and have many assists on using my PS4 controller though.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
I think you can abandon the championship and start a new one with the mini if you have to. Personally I'd recommend just spending some more time with the RWD cars. Try a few custom events with things like the 131 and Alpine. I find you just have to start out by going really slow and focus on learning how to not crash. Once you do that you can start getting faster as you learn what you can and can't do. Also the assists can actually make things harder to learn so try turning them off for a while

Edit: I think the Alpine is a bit OP. On Finland I just hit a bank and rolled the car six times and still came in two seconds ahead of the master AI.

MeatloafCat fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 17, 2016

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

beedeebee posted:

Keep in mind those are RWD cars. Chill out on the gas and ease into turns, you're basically steering with the back wheels. There are a lot of front wheel drive (FWD) cars in this game now that you may enjoy. Otherwise save up for a Subaru WRX, Mitsubishi Evo or Ford Focus like most people do irl because they are very forgiving and look cool.

Also when it comes to events you can reset them to select a new car iirc. This game will automatically place you in whatever difficulty you're performing at and throw tons of money at you before you know it so don't really worry about it.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

bUm posted:

:laugh:

Wait till you try the Lancia 037 if you think the Opel is the tough one from Group B RWD. :v:

I'm not crazy enough to mess with that one. Not yet, anyways :v:

Plus, i'm just really partial to the Manta. I love how it looks, sounds, and handles. It's a total blast.

Also, I really hope they keep adding awesome new locales and stages. I'd love to see them recreate Rally Azores, Canberra, or the Rally in the 100 Acre Wood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0oImU9YJm4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxiyERUauwQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gl8xb2FOM4

Admittedly, i'm a bit biased about the 100 Acre Wood because that one is fairly close to me :v:

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Corsica or San Remo

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Never don't 037.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

I slide off the road twice on the last track of the league event because I kept losing focus and ignoring the navigator while trying to gas it through some of the bends.

The endurance aspect of this game is one of the things I like a lot because I'm not going to bother going back and redoing the entire race which actually makes it more fun when you gently caress up and are in high pressure mode try to recover lost time without knowing the road ahead of you.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Thief posted:

I slide off the road twice on the last track of the league event because I kept losing focus and ignoring the navigator while trying to gas it through some of the bends.

The endurance aspect of this game is one of the things I like a lot because I'm not going to bother going back and redoing the entire race which actually makes it more fun when you gently caress up and are in high pressure mode try to recover lost time without knowing the road ahead of you.

100 percent my thoughts. I drive way different on 3500m stages than I do on (the mid-late part of) the 15000m stages. Single player restart has broken me for online.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

The endurance aspect is what's currently killing me. I've had amazing runs ruined by one tiny little slip up, all because I lost focus and clipped a ditch, or didn't slow down enough, or just plain forgot how sharp a corner was. It's so drat brutal, especially when you've been doing flawless the entire stage :(

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The thread title is more and more appropriate

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

Xbone: the console for scrubs.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

L_Harrison posted:

Xbone: the console for scrubs.

Good to see the tradition of you being ungodly quick and dominating everyone hasn't changed since I played Forza 4 with you :v:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Meanwhile, I have accidentally locked myself out of the current Goon event after drunk drivin an E30 off a cliff. :negative:

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I like the way that after I've inevitably spacked it into a tree, the next pacenote is delivered in this really disappointed, reigned tone. Like "Left 4, if you think you can manage that".

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Wow going from a controller to a wheel is...tough. I mean i had the wheel mounted to an ironing board but its definitely not what I remember it being like when I used a force feedback wheel on my 360.

Using a G920 on xbox, anyone got any controller settings to suggest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadistic
Dec 1, 2004
In his image God made me ugly.
Sometimes I don't understand this game at all.
Runs where I feel like I'm doing great I come in 8th and then runs like this that I feel were mediocre at best I come in 24 seconds ahead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5V4CA_R7_k

Vid is recorded in headcam though I play in dashcam with all assists off on a beat to hell Logitech MOMO.

Edit:I should mention that's the 60s Alpine A110

Sadistic fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 21, 2016

• Locked thread