Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

argondamn posted:

Guys what about that elevator in a windmill that takes you up to a volcano?

you forgot the part where it's also attached to a literal floating castle that you reach by going down some stairs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Hey does anything bad happen if you kill that one person to start the dancer fight early? Like maybe someone gets mad or get locked out of something by doing that?

One summonable NPC goes and gets away immediately when she dies, even if he's summoned at the moment, but I think I saw him return for a later fight in the game despite taking that progression shortcut.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've gotten summoned four times as Blue Sentinel tonight for the area right after the Pontiff bonfire. Seems like the place to be if you want to Blue Sent it up.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So if I do NOT give Greirat the item he wants, does that change his quest in any interesting way?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I just realized that around Gilligan's corpse are loads and loads of ladders. He was trying to escape :negative:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

8-Bit Scholar posted:

My theory is that it's a new type of curse. I think a lot of the weird grotesque transformations we're seeing are a result of curses running amok. Recall, a curse can never be truly cured; only transferred to a new source. Now the dead are rising regularly, and you've got Undead gathering in dingy settlements and growing more and more diseased as the population hollows--or is massacred by a creepy church cult. Either way, it's a perfect breeding ground for evil diseases. The black snake transformation I think is a type of curse too, or else a corporeal manifestation of some new type of Abyssal scourge a la Oolacile.

That seems consistent with the description for the Rotted Greatwood

quote:

Soul of the Curse-rotted Greatwood.

One of the twisted souls, steeped in strength.

Use to acquire many souls, or transpose to extract its true strength.

Ever since its establishment, all manner of curses have managed to seep into the Undead Settlement. The worst of them were sealed away inside a spirit tree, but eventually the curses took their toll.

They put the curse in a tree so it turned into a tree curse!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Make that five summons as a Bluecop now.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Your Computer posted:

Yessss! It gets even better when you defeat him and learn who he is :getin:

It probably does but Jesus gently caress this dude is hard. I'm gonna sleep on this boss fight and then probably beat him in one try tomorrow. :getin:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I like how you don't even have a reason to be beating up the Nameless King. Just a lust for souls.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I just realized that around Gilligan's corpse are loads and loads of ladders. He was trying to escape :negative:

Yeah and he's also surrounded by tons of gold because he's a greedy fucker.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

Make that five summons as a Bluecop now.

do you have to be in the area you get summoned at or can you sit in firelink and get summons?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

The way to punish estus is to do a running charge and just stuff the poo poo out of them for using estus. That or use your own estus lol.

But you know there's an item that prevents people from being able to use estus right? Grab a dozen of those and go to town :getin:

They finish chugging by then, or the running attack is too slow to connect. I do the same thing, but it's mostly just not fun. I used to love getting invaded, now I just try to get it over with and move on. Usually I have more estus so I win.

Also I've hit someone with that charm once in four games. I've personally been hit once ever myself as well. And since you can only carry a small number at once, it's kind of just whatever. Someone tossed four at me to no avail; one almost hit while I was chugging, but not quite.

quote:

Grand Archives spoiler

I'm hoping one pops up to say hi at one point but otherwise this is fine. :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 20, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

People really need to stop making GBS threads themselves when someone invades. I can guarantee you I won't be the hardest fight in the level you're in, and I'm not even counting the boss. But no, the second someone gets invaded it's Phantom Has Been Summoned, Phantom Has Been Summoned, blah blah Blue Spirit Concord blah blah and then it's four guys holding down the block button huddled around the bonfire until I black crystal out.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I am dual-wielding cestus. I have like no armor. I don't even have a shield equipped. Just fight me, dude.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mortimer posted:

do you have to be in the area you get summoned at or can you sit in firelink and get summons?

I've only been summoned into the same area I'm in, but it's the broader area. Like, Farron Keep and Road of Sacrifices count as the same area for summons as far as I can tell. That said, that's just been my experience, and it could just be that I was in the best area for my level range already.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Babe Magnet posted:

People really need to stop making GBS threads themselves when someone invades. I can guarantee you I won't be the hardest fight in the level you're in, and I'm not even counting the boss. But no, the second someone gets invaded it's Phantom Has Been Summoned, Phantom Has Been Summoned, blah blah Blue Spirit Concord blah blah and then it's four guys holding down the block button huddled around the bonfire until I black crystal out.

You came into their game world, anything they want to do to make you go away is fair play, hope this provides some assistance

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I don't mind when people take my boss door summon and then run back to clear out the rest of the map.

But would it kill internet strangers to give the guy wearing wizard robes in front of the wizard battle 10 seconds to change their equipment before they gently caress off, forcing me to track them down while invaders start showing up?

I'm not exactly Pro PvP mans, so these guys jumping off a ledge down towards the invaders while I'm still catching up to them is pretty awkward.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Is it worth going back to Souls 2 to play its' dlc? for the ~lore~ above anything else honestly

e: I ask because I heard all of souls 2's dlc is bad

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
DS2's dlc is probably the best part of the entire game so whoever you heard that from is a dumbass

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

CJacobs posted:

You came into their game world, anything they want to do to make you go away is fair play, hope this provides some assistance

Oh woah dang, I didn't realize that thank you for the assistance

I'm not calling them names or insulting their skills or anything, it's just frustrating. They won't even rush me or try and surround me or do anything but wait.

Like I doubt any of you were watching my low-level pvp stream but it's just me dying constantly and laughin' it up because I love gimmicky builds, but tonight was a gigantic let-down. I didn't even get killed that often because I rarely ever saw combat at all.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

So I read that if you don't kill the invader in the swamp before you kill Abyss Watchers, you have to get the Xanthous Crown from Rosaria's room, but I've killed every single slug around the area and it hasn't dropped for me. One of them gave me a Red Sign Soapstone but that is it. Have I cheated myself out of the opportunity to be the Mushroom Pope?

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

CJacobs posted:

DS2's dlc is probably the best part of the entire game so whoever you heard that from is a dumbass

Yep, this. DS2 was fun, and better than 1 in some game-mechanics ways, but 1 was the better game overall, and 2 left me kinda "meh" in comparison. But when I played the DLC I was impressed as hell, and it was hugely better than the base game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

voltcatfish posted:

Is it worth going back to Souls 2 to play its' dlc? for the ~lore~ above anything else honestly

e: I ask because I heard all of souls 2's dlc is bad

All of the DS2 dlc is really good. Brume Tower is actually still my favorite area in the entire series. However, most of the lore from the dlc doesn't have much impact on DS3. The one of the biggest connection is probably the Frozen King dlc, but even then its not a reference thrown in your face.

So no, you don't need to play them for lore reasons. You should play them because they are good. Feel free to skip the coop areas though, they kind of suck.

EDIT: The DLC is generally harder than the base game so the people that think its bad are probably just really bad.

Which reminds me, I'm sad they didn't really do anything fun with invaders in DS3. The only real rear end in a top hat invader is Knight Slayer Tsorig, but even he pales in comparison to the legend of Maldron.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

CJacobs posted:

i just remember them saying something about horses

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ghostter posted:

why do people keep hiding when i invade them. is there something i can use to find them? I found one guy because i heard a footstep while I was running around.

they either don't want to get invaded (this is a lot of people tbh), or they straight up can't find you. I was invaded earlier today while fighting the three npc hollows in lothric, kept fighting the enemies while constantly checking my back, killed them, went looking for the invader, but we never found each other and eventually they left

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

every single souls DLC has been the best part of their respective games

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

the main areas of the dlc is fantastic, but the optional coop areas are all terrible. the horse thing probably refers to those reindeer monsters that show up in eleum loyce, the third dlc. that blizzard area on the whole is awful

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

voltcatfish posted:

The horses are the worst part of any Souls game to date, but thankfully it's in an optional area. The rest of the DLCs are amazing and some of the best Souls content ever created.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

voltcatfish posted:

The Frozen King DLC has a coop area that's just a big empty wasteland. It has constant blizzards which summon lighting raindeer monsters (I call them paindeer! :iamafag:) that are ridiculously brutal. It is entirely optional but a lot of people (like me) who feel obligated to do everything and it suuuuuuuucks.

Manatee Cannon posted:

the main areas of the dlc is fantastic, but the optional coop areas are all terrible. the horse thing probably refers to those reindeer monsters that show up in eleum loyce, the third dlc. that blizzard area on the whole is awful

I don't think the Sunken King coop area is that bad and I thought the boss fight was fun, but you wouldn't miss much by skipping it. It is, essentially, just a gank squad.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I had a dude intentionally hiding from me once when I got invaded in the cathedral, like I would catch glimpses of him, he's wave, but when I'd chase him into a room he wouldn't be there. He eventually started to toss the Very Good! carvings and then crystal'd out when I couldn't find him anymore. It was infuriating and hilarious.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Fashion Souls!!!

Dancer's Crown, Mirrah Vest, Drang Gauntlets, Silver K***ht Leggings

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The most stressful part of this game is the build up of worry when Greirat continues to be absent from the shrine. I keep trying to save you and I keep failing no matter how hard I try! :qq:

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Babe Magnet posted:

fwiw they need to stop summoning 4 people for a boss as well, and is a huge part of why i gave up on spellcasting. your 1000 damage burst nukes become less and less useful for co-op as more people pile on and the health rises accordingly

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah it's actually pretty detrimental early on because you just start doing nothing to the boss. Unless you have one or two phantoms who are really on point it can make them a lot more frustrating than they need to be.

Also one dude I invaded tonight in Undead Settlement was wearing the armor you get for beating the game and was using end-game weapons so I guess they were doing a SL1 run? Anyway, he loving destroyed me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Darkmoon Blade covenant just gave me the best Souls PVP experience of my life.

I got summoned into a world where the host had two phantoms and was invaded by two invaders. I killed one of them immediately--he tried to Farron breakdance me and I caught him out of it and killed him in three hits. Then another invaded and I killed him. Then I started fighting the original invader while the host and his two co-op phantoms hosed off to go do PvE. And then another phantom invaded. The host and his co-op pals were long gone so it turned into a 2-on-1 and I loving won. I came out of a single Darkmoon Blade summon with five Proofs of a Concord Kept.

I owe it all to the Astora Greatsword. Thanks, Astora Greatsword!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Mmmmmfuck I forgot how much I love Souls PvP. Everybody has a little bitch boyfriend to protect them but I can gently caress 'em up. Slash 'em up. I'm taking your spines!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it should not surprise anyone by this point that a lot of people really do not like being invaded and do not want to deal with the random human element. the invadee summoning dudes to kill you is just gonna happen, and they aren't honorbound to fight fair, especially when they're at an inherent disadvantage to red phantoms when it's 1v1 because of the ai enemies

Luceid posted:

fwiw they need to stop summoning 4 people for a boss as well, and is a huge part of why i gave up on spellcasting. your 1000 damage burst nukes become less and less useful for co-op as more people pile on and the health rises accordingly

tbh magic damage is just bad in general. it was funny being a spellcaster and plinking away at things while watching literally anyone with an actual weapon doing more damage than I ever could, and without the drawback of a limited fp pool. magic just sucks

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I just beat my first run of the game with my mixed str/dex character and am going to run through it as a deprived again but go on a str/faith run (maybe this time I won't go black firebomb gift and cheese Gudyr :v:). I never messed around with all the infusion stuff at all and just beat the game with a +10 Lucerne. Can anyone explain what gems are worth using?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I like the weird semi-Roleplayer groups who'll be there waiting in a circle when you come in as Invader. Then two of em point to the odd-man out, and he fights. Ya kill em, another steps in. Then the final one.

Its kinda weird, but just little impromptu fights like that are sweet and spice up already fun PVP. Dudes going out of their way for weird poo poo like that is cool.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Depends on your stats. If you like a weapon but don't have a lot of points in whatever it scales with, Raw it. If your strength is 35+, Heavy it. If you feel like wasting a gem slot, put poison or bleed on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Whew, I was worried I would never find another bonfire in time.