Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

wipeout posted:

I haven't played ut4 yet - mine kept crashing, but a helpful goon mentioned to choose a server, rather then search for them. So I'll reinstall and try that soon.

But in ut4, don't the weapons combine together in some ways, like you can charge biogun splats with the link gun, etc, now?

Just replayed doom 3 and I don't think I appreciated how really well done some of the maps were, back in 2006. Particularly later on.
In fact, apart from the plastic faces (which look better then i remember) I've had a real blast replaying it. It holds up very well.
The sequel, eh, not so much.

I CBA to play the doom 4 multiplayer, but I've got high hopes for the single player. I hope it's like the opposite of me3 in that regard.

New Doom multiplayer is ok-ish, but it is nowhere near as good as say Quake 3, and is essentially just CoD but with slightly more pickups. I like CoD, which is why I don't hate this game as much as some, but on the other hand I also played pretty much all the games in the Doom and Quake series and really wish they'd looked more at the series legacy than at what game the studio behind this made last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Translation: "A real FPS should be unplayable with a controller because it should require such speed and precision of aiming that it can only be done with a mouse. Furthermore, the only good kind of music is the kind where you play the guitar notes as fast as possible."

*turns down the Yngwie Malmsteen and pauses Q3A*

Yeah, and?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Or an FPS where considerable time and effort has been spent on making a controller driven experience workable and usable at the opportunity cost of speed and precision as only possible with a mouse and keyboard is a compromised experience and leaves those with specific mouse and keyboard experience wanting.

This isn't a driving game where you'd be feathering keys or a flight sim where you'd be doing some crazy yoke simulation with the mouse. It's Doom and as a twitch shooter it's just another example of how a big publisher is hitting the lowest common denominator rather than making an outstanding example of the genre.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 20, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I was going to list good FPS games that work on a controller but all I could thing of were RPGs like DX:HR and Dishonored. I can't stand playing them without keyboard and mouse. Also DO4M is going to suck. So I'm not actually disagreeing!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nevermind, you said "lowest common denominator." Your argument is invalid.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Lowest common denominator, as in you've got the cheapest, mass produced machine with old-rear end components and a controller scheme that's middling for everything.

This is a console. A wheel is better for driving, a kb and mouse is better for shooters, a joystick is better for flightsims.. a controller does all of them.. but not well.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Turok 2 was good with a controller.

"Ahhhhh I impressive myself!!!"

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Blacktoll posted:

Imo this game is going to suck dick. Just make another game about a space marine merking demons, instead of copping DOOM and trying to cater to loving old dumb nerds who are going to hate it anyway because of their depression or whatev.

Quoting myself from earlier because lol @ this terrible game and also gently caress all you retards who poo poo on black baby goku amazing poo poo post trolling earlier in this thread because he was loving 100 percent correct

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I had fun with the beta. I am also buying this for the single player

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

thebushcommander posted:

I didn't play the beta, but is this about what I've heard of it in that it's basically a COD style multiplayer with a slightly faster pace where you have to setup pre-game load outs with perks and poo poo rather than being able to run around and pickup whatever is available?

evilmiera posted:

New Doom multiplayer is ok-ish, but it is nowhere near as good as say Quake 3, and is essentially just CoD but with slightly more pickups. I like CoD, which is why I don't hate this game as much as some, but on the other hand I also played pretty much all the games in the Doom and Quake series and really wish they'd looked more at the series legacy than at what game the studio behind this made last time.

I know COD is the boogeyman for a lot of hardcore gamers, but Doom 2016's movement system, and multiplayer in general, feels quite similar to Halo 4/5 than COD. Specifically, the much maligned Halo 4 which had weapon loadouts that everyone hated.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Tony Montana posted:

Lowest common denominator, as in you've got the cheapest, mass produced machine with old-rear end components and a controller scheme that's middling for everything.

This is a console. A wheel is better for driving, a kb and mouse is better for shooters, a joystick is better for flightsims.. a controller does all of them.. but not well.

And what would you recommend over a controller for platformers and whatever genre Zelda is?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Good point. You're right, for platformers and even console specific genres (like Sleeping Dogs was, driving to melee combat and back quickly) a controller is good. I still recommend a couple of Xbox One controllers on a PC (which I have), just for superior graphics, software choices and mod-ability over a console, but with the console explosion there are plenty of games are built with the controller first.

But this is Doom. This Doom has been built with the controller first. Doom was a PC twitch shooter, it is no longer. Herein lies the problem.

All the extra crap like XP, unlocks, hack modules, demon runes, melee kills.. all just distract from the skill based FPS game of movement, aiming and tactics. Probably because movement and aiming are severely hampered by a controller and they cannot take center stage as they once did.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Original DOOM and DOOM II was built to be equally playable with keyboard only, early PC joysticks and gamepads, and mouse support was restricted, especially as so many people at the time didn't have a mouse yet.

Full on mouse play wouldn't be in there until Quake really, even though later source ports and players are all about the mouse now.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
My rule of thumb these days is that if its third person then I use a controller, even for a lot of third person shooters.

Though I guess that also means when I play Cities Skylines, XCOM, Civilisation or Age of Empires I'm working through the eyesight of an omnipotent god :haw:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You can play Doom 2 with a USB vibrator up your rear end if you want.

You'll be better with a mouse and kb.

Vorlonesque
Sep 18, 2005

Killing planets since 1876

fishmech posted:

Original DOOM and DOOM II was built to be equally playable with keyboard only, early PC joysticks and gamepads, and mouse support was restricted, especially as so many people at the time didn't have a mouse yet.

Full on mouse play wouldn't be in there until Quake really, even though later source ports and players are all about the mouse now.

In all fairness, Romero and the other guys at id were using kb/mouse heavily in DOOM (hell, Romero was using it in Wofl3d if I remember correctly).

They were circle strafing before it had a name, as mentioned on page 24 of the July 1994 issue of CGW:

CGW magazine circa July 1994 posted:

Over the next few hours, Romero taught us the delicate art of the slaughter, racing around the map at supernatural speeds and using the mouse with such skill that he could, literally, run circles around us while keeping his weapon aimed at our spinning heads.

http://www.cgwmuseum.org/galleries/index.php?year=1994&pub=2&id=120

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Tony Montana posted:

Good point. You're right, for platformers and even console specific genres (like Sleeping Dogs was, driving to melee combat and back quickly) a controller is good. I still recommend a couple of Xbox One controllers on a PC (which I have), just for superior graphics, software choices and mod-ability over a console, but with the console explosion there are plenty of games are built with the controller first.

But this is Doom. This Doom has been built with the controller first. Doom was a PC twitch shooter, it is no longer. Herein lies the problem.

I'm using a Wii U Pro Controller on PC for a lot of games, yeah. (The Wii U over Xbox One is because Smash and the Zelda series exist, so I'd have the controller anyway.)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Tony Montana posted:

All the extra crap like XP, unlocks, hack modules, demon runes, melee kills.. all just distract from the skill based FPS game of movement, aiming and tactics. Probably because movement and aiming are severely hampered by a controller and they cannot take center stage as they once did.

Get over yourself. I have a PC and a PS4, and you know what, unless its a strategy game, I play most games on my PS4, including shooters. I have even played games on both, like planetside 2. And the simplicity and convenience of never having to worry about conflicts with my graphics card, driver issues, etc is worth the loss of 100% precision control. And you know what, a lot of these games play just fine without it since everyone is on the same playing field anyway. You can up the sensitivity on the sticks as well, I played the beta at like 85%, compared to the guy that started this convo who used the default.

I've been playing these games since Doom came out. Quake, Half Life DM, Halo, CoD, Battlefield etc. The only real, concrete, difference to the vast majority of people is they get headshot less on console and tactics like flanking and positioning have increased importance since you have to get an extra shot or two in since you cannot as reliably one shot the guy with a headshot.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WoodrowSkillson posted:

You can up the sensitivity on the sticks as well, I played the beta at like 85%, compared to the guy that started this convo who used the default.

I've been playing these games since Doom came out. Quake, Half Life DM, Halo, CoD, Battlefield etc.
You've been playing FPS since the genre came out, but you don't understand why forcing somebody to use an insanely high sensitivity to be able to actually react is bad?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Stuntman posted:

You've been playing FPS since the genre came out, but you don't understand why forcing somebody to use an insanely high sensitivity to be able to actually react is bad?

In order to get quick turning and poo poo on an FPS with a mouse you have to up its sensitivity too, normally to an insane degree to get the performance Tony is talking about.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I want to play the Doom game they were making before this one, the one where you're a member of The Resistance fighting The Insurgency in Homefront-land or whatever.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I want to play the Doom game they were making before this one, the one where you're a member of The Resistance fighting The Insurgency in Homefront-land or whatever.

I was wondering the other day if it was a real sequel to Doom 2, set in the ruins on earth after the demon invasion of Doom 2.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

And the simplicity and convenience of never having to worry about conflicts with my graphics card, driver issues, etc is worth the loss of 100% precision control.
Are you time travelling from 2007?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

In order to get quick turning and poo poo on an FPS with a mouse you have to up its sensitivity too, normally to an insane degree to get the performance Tony is talking about.
You don't. At all.

Highfalutin FPS PC gamers usually prefer low sensitivity since it gives a lot more precision.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 20, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Blackfyre posted:

I was wondering the other day if it was a real sequel to Doom 2, set in the ruins on earth after the demon invasion of Doom 2.

The earlier scrapped game looked like exactly that, although with a very Call of Duty meets Bulletstorm meets every FPS ever kinda generic way.

The new DO4M looks like just Doom 3 but remade to be less of a horror game.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WoodrowSkillson posted:

No, you need to get a bigger mousepad so you can still make precise movements while having enough space to turn at a low sensitivity. High sensitivity for FPS on mouse is objectively worse for aiming than using a correct sensitivity.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Tony Montana posted:

You can play Doom 2 with a USB vibrator up your rear end if you want.

You'll be better with a mouse and kb.

I play every game with a USB vibrator up my rear end

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Call it Doom Resistance and call it a spinoff and I'd love it.

Stuntman posted:

No, you need to get a bigger mousepad so you can still make precise movements while having enough space to turn at a low sensitivity. High sensitivity for FPS on mouse is objectively worse for aiming than using a correct sensitivity.

That's still no reason for them to ship with a sensitivity that requires you to move your mouse like a meter in order to turn around.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Glad to see that retard 4 made everyone in here retards.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Keiya posted:

That's still no reason for them to ship with a sensitivity that requires you to move your mouse like a meter in order to turn around.

What are you talking about? Has there ever been an FPS game without sensitivity options? You can set the sensitivity to as high or low as you like pretty much.

His point is that people who play FPS really well (see: pro counterstrike, etc) tend to use really big mousepads so they can be both accurate and still turn around quickly if they need to. Some people practice on really high sensitivity and get good at it, but others play at lower sensitivity and just move the mouse more overall, and that's arguably better.

You make it sound like the game only has a single predetermined sensitivity setting, which isn't the case at all?

Also you realize that mouse DPI can act like a multiplier on sensitivity, so somebody with a fancy 1500DPI gaming mouse with 1000hz polling ends up having to set his mouse to 1/10th the sensitivity that somebody with a basic microsoft computer mouse has to? (And also that windows pointer speed settings additionally act as a modifier on top of that, which is really stupid. Classic Windows)

So its not really that the game ships requiring you to move a meter so much as your mouse and OS configuration is different than other people's, that's PC gaming for you.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Also lets remember the original point was Tony complaining the turning was too slow on console. That was because the default set up is normally a bit too low to mimic look speed on a mouse, but you can correct that easily. Yes you then lose precision, but in all the games that need it a la cod, you can then change the ADS sensitivity to allow better control.

Also the pro dudes normally are playing with a team and are not getting flanked every 4 seconds since they are communicating, hence using a lower sensitivity.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 20, 2016

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I am looking forward to trying out this new interactive entertainment experience called Doom and I am withholding judgment of this video game until I can play the finished product :)

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Zaphod42 posted:

The earlier scrapped game looked like exactly that, although with a very Call of Duty meets Bulletstorm meets every FPS ever kinda generic way.

The new DO4M looks like just Doom 3 but remade to be less of a horror game.

D04M doesn't look anything like Doom 3 :pwn:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the singleplayer will be a competent but completely unremarkable game after the first hour while the multiplayer remains a badly balanced and unfulfilling tire fire

anyway that's my lukewarm take

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the singleplayer will be a competent but completely unremarkable game after the first hour while the multiplayer remains a badly balanced and unfulfilling tire fire

anyway that's my lukewarm take

You can express these feelings by making a tire fire themed SnapMap, I know you can put barrels in from that one video, maybe you can put tires around.

Awesome Welles posted:

I am looking forward to trying out this new interactive entertainment experience called Doom and I am withholding judgment of this video game until I can play the finished product :)

Ditto, I look forward to dipping my beak in this interactive entertainment experience, bring it on I say!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Also the pro dudes normally are playing with a team and are not getting flanked every 4 seconds since they are communicating, hence using a lower sensitivity.

Bull, if you're playing against somebody who's meant to be good at a game you'll try and catch them off guard and flank as much as possible, team or not. The thing is that being caught from behind so badly that you need to spin around 180 degrees to meet a threat implies such bad spatial awareness that you'll probably die regardless.

When I play TF2 I usually play scout, the fastest class, and a rule of thumb that really helped me there was realizing that swinging around with your mouse to try to line up shots was not a good idea. It was better to keep your view relatively stable and use your movement to keep foes within view, mouse control was for fine movement to make those precise shots and keeping track of fast moving targets, as such you'd want to have sensitivity relatively low so you weren't swinging around wildly and missing everything.

Obviously this is pretty subjective but really, from my experiences with higher skilled FPS players they generally seem to think its better to keep mouse sensitivity restrained.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

khwarezm posted:

Bull, if you're playing against somebody who's meant to be good at a game you'll try and catch them off guard and flank as much as possible, team or not. The thing is that being caught from behind so badly that you need to spin around 180 degrees to meet a threat implies such bad spatial awareness that you'll probably die regardless.

When I play TF2 I usually play scout, the fastest class, and a rule of thumb that really helped me there was realizing that swinging around with your mouse to try to line up shots was not a good idea. It was better to keep your view relatively stable and use your movement to keep foes within view, mouse control was for fine movement to make those precise shots and keeping track of fast moving targets, as such you'd want to have sensitivity relatively low so you weren't swinging around wildly and missing everything.

Obviously this is pretty subjective but really, from my experiences with higher skilled FPS players they generally seem to think its better to keep mouse sensitivity restrained.

Cool, thanks for explaining that you are too retarded to correctly play FPS games.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

stfu nerd

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

stfu nerd

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

You know what would spice up this month, if Cream-of-Plenty came across some engrossing new interview quotes from some of the devs on this game. Is there a Cream signal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Blacktoll posted:

Glad to see that retard 4 made everyone in here retards.

john romero is going to make you his retard, bitch