Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Why wouldn't someone who actually follows through with the promise to provide the masses with cheap energy deserve to be president?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

superman was educated in kansas. dumbass piece of poo poo doesn't even believe in evolution

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

this I need to see

It's because Superman thought Lex planted a bomb underneath the city but just set it up so Superman would look bad

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

many johnnys posted:

yeah but what a stupid plan. I, presidential candidate lex luthor, promise to provide cheap energy to poor people. I am lauded for it, and my campaign is taking off! But what if I also say spooky stuff quietly so only superman can hear? Then he might jump (or fly) to the conclusion that I am blowing up poors at my event with a superbomb I made. There are no flaws in my plan.

Well in the end it was an all ages cartoon based on a comic book that was aired after school. It wasn't exactly masterpiece theater. :v:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fyodor posted:

lol that cartoon linked where superman is like "welp gently caress it let's just kill a bunch of innocent people." Why do people like this poo poo?

in theory those building were supposed to be empty, it was the opening ceremony of a low income housing project (and they hadn't moved in yet). but realistically, when is a big apartment building 100% empty? i'm sure there were janitors and random contractors and people around

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
so was his presidential campaign all part of the ruse or did he just spy a way to super charge his chances while also making Superman look like a doofus?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tricky D posted:

Why wouldn't someone who actually follows through with the promise to provide the masses with cheap energy deserve to be president?

because in an alternate universe that superman went to once, Lex became president and ended up nuking the world or something (i donno its pretty vague)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

so was his presidential campaign all part of the ruse or did he just spy a way to super charge his chances while also making Superman look like a doofus?

his presidential campaign was a distraction, to prevent the justice league from figuring out that he was a robot

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Rutibex posted:

his presidential campaign was a distraction, to prevent the justice league from figuring out that he was a robot

welp I know what I'm watching tonight

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rutibex posted:

because in an alternate universe that superman went to once, Lex became president and ended up nuking the world or something (i donno its pretty vague)
He killed the Flash, who as it turns out was the moral center of the team

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Rutibex posted:

He "wants power" that's it.

achillesforever6 posted:

He killed the Flash, who as it turns out was the moral center of the team

Haha, it didn't so much "turn out" that way, just he knew two things about that universe: his alt-version died, and the league took over the world. So he keeps telling himself it's because he's the moral center of the group, and he says it over and over, and nobody acknowledges it. :lol:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

fyodor posted:

So quick question: having superpowers doesn't mean you are smarter than the average person right? So these characters, by their own logic, are technically mouth-breathing retarded assholes?

Comicbook superheroes are usually wish fulfillment/power fantasy/Marty Sue characters who have the ideal situation for them to be Right and Just created around them so the writers can create cool stories where their stand-in character knows exactly the right choice to make ("I know, I'll punch Evil Dr Badguy in the face!") or has the exact abilities and personality required to win the day because the plot was tailored to fit them exactly. Government or police forces are usually depicted as being corrupt or ignorant of the 'real dangers' the hero faces (which means that the law is powerless so vigilantism is justified) or they're good guys who trust and rely on the superhero (which again justifies his actions). The villains hatch evil schemes which force the hero to oppose them (because "With great power comes great responsibility" but not great accountability or great oversight, apparently) and the hero's collateral damage is always minimised or just plain not shown.

That's how comicbook superheroes are supposed to work. Of course there's lots and lots of modern comics which actually question all that and push the genre to breaking point in order to squeeze some new stories out of a tired format but pretty much all the pulpy four-coloured standard superhero comics just go with it and don't question the shaky logic behind the milieu.

Spider-Man was pretty much built around the question "What if a regular guy suddenly got superpowers and had to balance his regular life with these crazy new adventures and was constantly secondguessing his actions" but there was never any question over whether he was a good guy who deserved to win or whether he was trying to make the best of a bad situation. I guess the Snyder films tried to explore the human side of Superman and Batman where they're trying to solve incredibly complex social issues with some pretty blunt abilities and being forced between inaction in order to avoid collateral damage or just letting loose and not caring about who gets killed or what gets blown up.

There's actually a few films where the superheroes really are mouth-breathing retarded assholes like Super or Defendor which are great fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctcURFb7XE4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXl64kQAvv8

Kick rear end covered some of this ground as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_MSMPhGu1c

Of course Watchmen addressed a lot of these questions as well, pointing out that characters like Rorschach was genuinely batshit insane and The Comedian was an egotistical maniac who never cared about justice.

Of course the best argument that superheroes are technically mouth-breathing retarded assholes are the Real Life Superheroes who try to be superheroes in the real world:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hohnzMe0cWw

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah and then they killed her anyway so none of it loving mattered.

The show really was grimdark just for shock value's sake, and it started to wear thin at the end. I think my eyes just about rolled out of their sockets when Jessica finds Purple Man's dad, dismembered on the apartment floor, with some henchman feeding an arm into the garbage disposal or blender or something, and the camera just lingers on the hacked up stumps where his arms used to be.
And then she checks on the body and he's still alive because OF COURSE he's still alive.

Comic books, everybody!
Jesus Christ.

Thank you for saving me hours of my life watching a show with the most cop out conclusion that is the laziest way to end a season.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

fits my needs posted:

Thank you for saving me hours of my life watching a show with the most cop out conclusion that is the laziest way to end a season.

the actual conclusion is: jessica spends the entire show trying to take the purple man in alive in a way so she can prove his mind control is real. this is so she can get the victim from ep1 out of jail, and also she feels like that will redeem herself. he keeps mind controlling and killing people the whole season. At some point, the girl ("Hope") stabs herself so jessica can't use her as an excuse anymore. they have a confrontation at the docks, and jessica jones murders him.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's actually a few films where the superheroes really are mouth-breathing retarded assholes like Super or Defendor which are great fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctcURFb7XE4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXl64kQAvv8

Kick rear end covered some of this ground as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_MSMPhGu1c

Super was hilariously messed up

Blizz Pizz Love Us
Aug 18, 2015

by exmarx

Rutibex posted:

It was a distraction to prevent the League from figuring out that he wanted to put his brain in a robot. It didn't work (Amanda Waller blew the robot up), but it turned out he had already secretly turned into a robot several seasons ago. This came as a surprise to Lex, as well.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I hate it when I forget I transferred my consciousness into a robot body :doh:

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Rutibex posted:

Is this in the movie? I don't plan on watching it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tricky D posted:

Is this in the movie? I don't plan on watching it.

its from JL episode "a better world" where an alternate justice league takes over the world. the part i mentioned is in the very first scene (you also get to see superman disintegrate Lex with heat vision :kingsley:)

Batman: do you smell something? :downs:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xp8faw_a-better-world-1-of-3_shortfilms

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I hate it when I forget I transferred my consciousness into a robot body :doh:

other way around, Braniac had transferred his consciousness to Lex's body without Lex's knowledge, via nanomachines that turned Lex into a superpowered robot body for Braniac

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

*lex luthor opens up a hospital*

*superman breaks it down and kills everyone inside*

Haha, superman is discredited, exactly according to plan

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

superman was educated in kansas. dumbass piece of poo poo doesn't even believe in evolution

That also explains the whole cousin-lovin' thing.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Say Nothing posted:

That also explains the whole cousin-lovin' thing.

I wonder if anyone from deviantart or fanfiction took superincest this far?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Blizz Pizz Love Us posted:

It was a distraction to prevent the League from figuring out that he wanted to put his brain in a robot. It didn't work (Amanda Waller blew the robot up), but it turned out he had already secretly turned into a robot several seasons ago. This came as a surprise to Lex, as well.

Didn't Lex think he was doing it just to piss off Superman?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Junior Jr. posted:

I wonder if anyone from deviantart or fanfiction took superincest this far?

At a guess, quite a bit farther

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

JediTalentAgent posted:

-Metropolis is full of people engaged in an activity called "skyscraping": People who jump off tall buildings for the rush of whether or not Superman will catch them in time.

This sounds pretty awesome actually.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
just to contrast the dour shittiness of BvS with what Marvel does, here is something that apparently happens during the airport fight sequence in Civil War (major spoilers ahead!):

apparently ant-man reverses the power of his suit or something and becomes gigantic and starts throwing airplanes around

Ghost Head fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 20, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Ghost Head posted:

just to contrast the dour shittiness of BvS with what Marvel does, here is something that apparently happens during the airport fight sequence in Civil War:

apparently ant-man reverses the power of his suit or something and becomes gigantic and starts throwing airplanes around

that sounds fun and a clever application of his powers, i would rather see him stand with a frownie face then run away and mope when people are in trouble

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ghost Head posted:

just to contrast the dour shittiness of BvS with what Marvel does, here is something that apparently happens during the airport fight sequence in Civil War:

Lego spoiled this for me.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Lego spoiled this for me.

Me too, but several decades of comics where he does the same thing should have also clued me in

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Me too, but several decades of comics where he does the same thing should have also clued me in
I'm starting to regret posting this since people who have been long time comic fans might not be able to stop themselves from looking at the spoilers and then ruining the moment when they see the film. should i take it out?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Head posted:

I'm starting to regret posting this since people who have been long time comic fans might not be able to stop themselves from looking at the spoilers and then ruining the moment when they see the film. should i take it out?

Too late, you got quoted several times!

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Too late, you got quoted several times!

Oh yeah I forgot it worked that way.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ghost Head posted:

I don't know. I would have been genuinely be surprised by it if it happened in the movie, but (spoilering it for discussion of a spoiler) it's happened in the comic decades before and it's like Hank Pym's other two giant-sized alter-egos after Ant-Man. It was bound to happen.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Young Freud posted:

I don't know. I would have been genuinely be surprised by it if it happened in the movie, but (spoilering it for discussion of a spoiler) it's happened in the comic decades before and it's like Hank Pym's other two giant-sized alter-egos after Ant-Man. It was bound to happen.

but surely for comic readers, it's a spoiler to tell them that things happen in the MCU that they have enjoyed reading in the comics in the past.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Spoiler tagging material that may or may not be in comic book movies is a waste of time because they are predictable as gently caress

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Ghost Head posted:

but surely for comic readers, it's a spoiler to tell them that things happen in the MCU that they have enjoyed reading in the comics in the past.

comic readers would expect Ant-Man to get big, if not in this movie then in the next Ant-Man movie, because they know that's something Ant-Man can do. It's more of a spoiler for non-comic readers

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Blizz Pizz Love Us posted:

Ok to be fair that's a pretty funny twist.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Has it come up yet that there's a Dick Cheney reference in BvS?

quote:

If there's a 1% chance that Pakistani scientists are helping al-Qaeda build or develop a nuclear weapon, we have to treat it as a certainty in terms of our response. It's not about our analysis ... It's about our response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

yeah I caught the "1% doctrine" ref.

tbh i'm not sure if snyder was trying to be pro or anti

i shall have to look deeper

• Locked thread