Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Manatee Cannon posted:

there were three (nightmare frontier, nightmare of mensis, and mergo's loft iirc), each with one bell maiden. if you killed the maiden, she never respawned and the only way to get pvp stuff from then on was to ring the coop bell

They definitely respawned with other mobs if you leave and re-enter the area, or die. But yeah, those were certainly the more active areas for any other player interaction.

Even when I used the coop bell, it took a long time to find someone, and when I did they were pretty rubbish and would promptly die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Time to say it.

I miss ADP.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

So, where do I get more of those prop hunt birch tree branches from?

I don't even want to PvP I just want to be a chair

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Grognan posted:

The giant archer remembers being your friend across NG+ :3

It's specifically tied to the special branch he gives you. If you use it he gets upset and you have to befriend him again.

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

There's a relatively low requirement spell you can get if you're doing Anri's questline.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

get xanthous ashes in the dungeon

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

outside the Grand Archives all of the gargoyles look like ludleth. is this significant?

also beat the remaining 3 bosses I had tonight. what a game!

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

uh oh pancho! posted:

outside the Grand Archives all of the gargoyles look like ludleth. is this significant?
Yes.
No.
But, yes.
But also, no
This is a souls game. It is as significant as you make it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Angelwolf posted:

They definitely respawned with other mobs if you leave and re-enter the area, or die. But yeah, those were certainly the more active areas for any other player interaction.

Even when I used the coop bell, it took a long time to find someone, and when I did they were pretty rubbish and would promptly die.

No, they don't respawn. The only ones that do are not the pvp ringing ones and are in a different area.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does wearing the skull ring make enemies more likely to target you over the host in coop?

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

kater posted:

Time to say it.

I miss ADP.

What? Why?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

kater posted:

Time to say it.

I miss ADP.

Yeah, why? I even thought DS2 was a great game but ADP sure as hell wasn't one of the reasons why.

Anyone know the answer to a couple of quick questions I can't figure out:

Is there a way to see active PvP areas like in DS2?
And what does it mean when you loot something and there's a green overlay on the icon?

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Just dropping by to say that the dried finger is hilarious and so much fun. If you use that thing and you are the right level for the area, you will get so, so many invaders very quickly. If you use it while you're in way of blue, and summon some buddies to help you out, you are almost guaranteed to have a bunch of big outrageous battles.

I did this in road of sacrifices with two summons on my side, and people were invading so quickly that the fights were even most of the time. We would kill someone only for another to show up right away. The fight eventually spilled over into Farron Keep, where my buddies succumbed to the enemies and poison swamp. I was left in a 1v2 and managed to kill them both because they had run out of estus. Game owns.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hampig posted:

Yeah, why? I even thought DS2 was a great game but ADP sure as hell wasn't one of the reasons why.

And what does it mean when you loot something and there's a green overlay on the icon?

Yeah, I love DS2 but my first priority on 100% of my characters was getting ADP to 20 and then never touching it again. Pretty dumb design.

As for the green overlay on the icon, that means you have reached the max amount of the item and that the loot is put into storage instead of your inventory. There's a really strict stack limit on pretty much anything in this game (99 arrows, 20 firebombs, 40 throwing knives, etc.) which kinda sucks, but at least they automatically "re-stock" from your storage when you sit at a bonfire.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

North of 75 silver knights killed by this point with max item discovery, not a single ear drop. I'm starting to think they don't even exist.

I love this game to death but this is some stupid bullshit. These ears have got to be the rarest item drop in the entire series, and for what reason? Why would you hide a miracle (and one tied to a trophy, no less) behind 30 of the items for a covenant that they had to know was broken because it's exactly the same as the last time they made a dumb broken covenant?

I know it's a dumb thing to even care about, but ugh. I've 100% completed every other Souls game because it's one of my all-time favorite series and I never get tired of them, and it's annoying to think that this will be the only one I don't finish just because one item has a .0000001% drop rate for no goddamn reason. Considering how many simple ways they could have gotten around that, including ways that they actually implemented for every single other covenant in the game, it almost feels deliberately spiteful.

I'm so jealous of the people actually getting hits as a Sentinel :/ I've tried sitting around at every possible level and weapon range and I've been summoned once. Ever.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Good news! I didn't break sierra mist's questline. Turns out at any point you can just go back to the bridge and get summoned to beat up the bad guy.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

hampig posted:

Adaptability was pretty dumb. You always needed it, so it was just a level tax for everyone. I'm really glad I don't have to worry about how fast I can get my shield up anymore.

PVP hot spots are usually pretty easy to see from the number of red signs on the ground. You see them even when you're not embered, to boot. The biggest one is the balcony immediately after the Pontiff.

If there's a green icon it means those items were sent to storage. There are carry limits on a lot more items this time, like you can only carry 99 arrows or 1 divine blessing, so if you find more they get sent to storage.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

hampig posted:

...I actually don't think there is because I haven't noticed it. That's pretty dumb to not include again. I suppose they didn't bother because the game is so linear compared to DS2, so its not like you can often go to different area anyways.

quote:

It means the item got sent to storage. The game has item limits like Bloodborne, but for most items this will never come up. You autorestock on all items when resting at a Bonfire, provided you have enough in storage of course.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Always be embered so you can get cool invader-only armor

Has anyone made a list of these yet? I try to be embered all the time and I'm on my 3rd playthrough already but I feel like I might have missed some (I only found Alva 3rd time through for example)

Internet Kraken posted:

They should of just had Anri be a guy no matter what.

Agree, I feel like Anri (F) had the better voice acting though. I mean they didn't need to have the marriage aspect at all; they could have just called it a 'union of hollows' or something but I guess it's creepier this way.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Begemot posted:

Adaptability was pretty dumb. You always needed it, so it was just a level tax for everyone. I'm really glad I don't have to worry about how fast I can get my shield up anymore.

I forgot Adaptability existed until now

how unfortunate

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I didn't know Anri's gender changed depending on your character so I was really confused when I kept seeing people refer to him as a woman. I kept wondering how that voice could belong to a lady.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Apparition posted:

What? Why?

hampig posted:

People who "miss" ADP are thinking in terms of "God, I miss Fast roll I-Frames while wearing Havels" And not it's worthwhileness as a mechanic at large.

I admit, I would be less down on ADP in DS2 as a concept, if you didn't have to work your way up from "Worse than a DS1 Fat Roll". Particularly with some of them having only 5 to start, regardless of it skipping to 8 with your first upgrades :wtc:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The only thing I miss with regards to rolling in DS2 is the incremental rolls for everything below the fatty zone. If I have an equip weight near 30% I feel obligated to try and get my weight under it, and that micromanagment aspect of equipment has never been fun to me. I liked DS2 because you could make minor weight adjustments to your loadout without your roll suddenly becoming much worse.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
moundmaker + red eye + ring that makes you look like not a phantom

WILDCARD BITCHES

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

North of 75 silver knights killed by this point with max item discovery, not a single ear drop. I'm starting to think they don't even exist.

I love this game to death but this is some stupid bullshit. These ears have got to be the rarest item drop in the entire series, and for what reason? Why would you hide a miracle (and one tied to a trophy, no less) behind 30 of the items for a covenant that they had to know was broken because it's exactly the same as the last time they made a dumb broken covenant?

I know it's a dumb thing to even care about, but ugh. I've 100% completed every other Souls game because it's one of my all-time favorite series and I never get tired of them, and it's annoying to think that this will be the only one I don't finish just because one item has a .0000001% drop rate for no goddamn reason. Considering how many simple ways they could have gotten around that, including ways that they actually implemented for every single other covenant in the game, it almost feels deliberately spiteful.

I'm so jealous of the people actually getting hits as a Sentinel :/ I've tried sitting around at every possible level and weapon range and I've been summoned once. Ever.

this has been my experience with that so far as well, and maybe it's best to just wait for a bit and try again later if they patch it. if they don't, you were gonna play the game again when the dlc comes out anyway. it is seriously baffling how rare those things are

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

moundmaker + red eye + ring that makes you look like not a phantom

WILDCARD BITCHES

where do you find that ring

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

General Morden posted:

where do you find that ring

Yuria sells it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So where exactly does Creighton's set spawn? I killed him, I'm on the bridge now but I can't find it.
EDIT: you have to be invaded by him to get his set :negative: and I've beaten the pontiff!

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Apr 20, 2016

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
simple question:

why do i keep getting invaded while unembered? does it have something to do with hollowing?

eta: also got called in as a bluecop a few times, also unembered. i thought embers were basically humanity, though

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Section Z posted:

People who "miss" ADP are thinking in terms of "God, I miss Fast roll I-Frames while wearing Havels" And not it's worthwhileness as a mechanic at large.

I admit, I would be less down on ADP in DS2 as a concept, if you didn't have to work your way up from "Worse than a DS1 Fat Roll". Particularly with some of them having only 5 to start, regardless of it skipping to 8 with your first upgrades :wtc:

Also if you want the feel of having high adaptability there's a ring that increases the iframes on rolls(also lowers your defense a little though).

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

This crap is becoming the bane of PVPing.

I've even gotten myself an Estoc to counter other Estoc-ers.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
Irithyll is so good you guys. I am excited about video game levels in a way I haven't been since Mario 64 and Zelda OoT.

It's really really pretty and chill (:downsrim:), and then you get to that one area and you can just repeat the narrator from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcR9af_akCw&t=22s

Soho Joe fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 20, 2016

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
So I let the crystal lizard just before the bridge in catacombs fall and now it won't respawn. Wtf

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Alan Smithee posted:

So I let the crystal lizard just before the bridge in catacombs fall and now it won't respawn. Wtf

I had a lizard that wouldn't respawn just from resting at a bonfire, but teleporting to Firelink and back fixed it.

EDIT: I also had a lizard fall through the world or something and give me its drops anyway.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 20, 2016

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Alan Smithee posted:

Same happened to me, except it died and I got the rewards, so maybe you got them too?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Yeah I've chased a few lizards off cliffs and gotten their drops automatically. It's a really nice change.

But it's possible it landed on a ledge or just faded out in midair, I suppose.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

TopHatGenius posted:

This crap is becoming the bane of PVPing.

I've even gotten myself an Estoc to counter other Estoc-ers.

I don't know why anyone's surprised. Rapiers were exactly the same in 2. It's weird that people are surprised after how badly the frozen rapier from the ivory king DLC destroyed everyone.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Is Darkdrift any good? The weapon skill sounds fun for loving with shield babies.

You got me interested and my god is that the funniest loving item description.

"Aim carefully, and pierce with a large forward lunge. The unseen blade penetrates straight through shields, for nothing can defend from Darkdrift."

Also, the windup is alot faster then I had expected, will try in pvp and report results.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I miss back steps having i-frames.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

WILDCARD BITCHES

its SO loving good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot