Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Terminator 2 helped me learn english when i was a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kavak posted:

Yeah, it's pretty lame really.

Yup. Still kind of impressive they got it on TV though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mu Zeta posted:

I went to Universal Studios LA when I was a child and there was nothing to do. Went on Jurassic Park a few times and Back to the Future 7 times and got bored.

Just go to Disneyland instead

The one in Hollywood is still an active movie studio and located on hills so they were really limited in what they could actually put up. It's gotten better by having them clone rides from Orlando or open the same rides simultaneously with Orlando, but looking at a map it seems like they're straining for space. Orlando was opened as a theme park from day one, so the initial rides were expansions of scenes from the Hollywood backlot tram attraction. They've strayed very far from their roots and are focusing less on the movie studio aspect and more on high tech rides like the Harry Potter stuff, but they still do some film and TV work there. I did (of all loving things) a European Disney TV show in one of the soundstages there for a few weeks, and stuff still gets filmed in the off-hours on their New York street set and other locations.

Speaking of long forgotten theme park rides, some people have put up surprisingly decent videos of closed and torn-down Disney attractions. This is Delta Dreamflight, which was a slow-moving ride about the history of flight that also functioned as an advertisement for Delta Air Lines. They dropped their sponsorship in 1996 due to the cost of sponsoring the Olympics in Atlanta that year and all the Delta stuff was dropped. The attraction itself kept going until 1998 and was replaced by a Buzz Lightyear shooting gallery attraction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia904sQDT-U

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 00:41 on Apr 19, 2016

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I went to universal studios Hollywood a few weeks ago. Can confirm it was pretty rad. But I also hadn't been to a theme park in about 15 years, so maybe I'm not the best judge. The rides have special effects now.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I went to the Universal Studios in Florida once as kid, it was pretty cool. The Hitchcock thing was really neat, and the Back to the Future ride was great. But the best part was the tour of Nickelodeon Studios.

But the biggest irony for me about Universal Studios is that I live in Southern California and I've never been to the one in California. I should really go there one of these days.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
This thread just caused me to look at my CD Collection that i pretty much just keep for use in my car, I have a few pretty shameful CD singles that include a Mighty Morphin Power rangers pop song,scatman johns second lesser known song and a cover of "walk like an egyption" featuring quotes by a guy called Yo-Hans that was essentially released to promote Proyo YoYo's.

That dude was 90's as hell right down to the backwards Kangol hat.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Fargin Icehole posted:

One thing I noticed when I was in Japan for a bit was how very specifically tailored the American slang that people knew was. You could basically know EXACTLY what movies or shows they were watching at the time because there would be weird stuff that is no where near common slang in America. Usually it would be stuff that was popular enough to get released there but not popular enough to get dubbed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Instant Sunrise posted:

I went to the Universal Studios in Florida once as kid, it was pretty cool. The Hitchcock thing was really neat, and the Back to the Future ride was great. But the best part was the tour of Nickelodeon Studios.

But the biggest irony for me about Universal Studios is that I live in Southern California and I've never been to the one in California. I should really go there one of these days.

The old Nickelodeon Studios is where I was filming! There was a rumor that the soundstage was abandoned and left condemned with hurricane damage after Nickelodeon moved out, but in fact it's still a fully functional soundstage used for both filming and office space.

This guy is a nerd who got himself permabanned from Disney for trespassing backstage and on abandoned property. He made a big loving deal about sneaking into the "abandoned Nickelodeon Studios" to show everyone the inside. Throughout the whole video he's freaking out about how everything is so pristine and neat and people in the comments are like "Dude, that elevator could have broken down and left you trapped inside!" He has no loving idea that not only is it a still working soundstage, but he's just narrowly avoiding people working in it. He filmed this maybe a month before we loaded in for Game On! and he would have found snacks and drinks in the break room fridge if he opened it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7_CychOtto

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
The Princess Diana memorial beanie baby is peak 90s.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think we have that one. My parents dove deep into the craze, not to the point of wrecking our finances or anything though.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I won one in a middle school raffle. Everyone in school was super jealous, a few adults offered to buy it for $100 but I was like 7 so I didn't take them up on it because I thought it was worth $700. I'm going to my parents house this weekend, I'll feed it to their english bulldog.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Beastie posted:

I won one in a middle school raffle. Everyone in school was super jealous, a few adults offered to buy it for $100 but I was like 7 so I didn't take them up on it because I thought it was worth $700. I'm going to my parents house this weekend, I'll feed it to their english bulldog.

At least do the right thing; feed it to a Corgi instead :v:.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Neddy Seagoon posted:

At least do the right thing; feed it to a Corgi instead :v:.

This feels like some kind of symbolic act.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Has this objectively most 90s thing been posted yet?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Power of Pecota posted:

Has this objectively most 90s thing been posted yet?

I posted the video in November 2014.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Kavak posted:

I posted the video in November 2014.

I *watched* the video in August 1995.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Mizuti posted:

The Princess Diana memorial beanie baby is peak 90s.

My step-mom was all about the Beanie Baby craze. She one of these days is going to dig out her whole huge bin full of the things, because she's positive she's got one of these Di ones, first edition, still mint in its case. Those suckers are worth a ton today. But just that specific sucker.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Now on tour!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Thanks to youtube, you will always find a lineup like that. VEVO or not, here they come

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Fargin Icehole posted:

"As the unknown subtitles roll toward me. I face it, for the first time, with a sense of hope. Because if a machine, a Terminator, can learn to speak English, maybe I can too." ~ Fargin Icehole circa 1991

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fargin Icehole posted:

A movie where the most iconic line is Spanglish.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
This is technically not 90's, because it never happened: The Disneyland Decade, a preview of upcoming attractions for the 1990s. I'm fairly sure this fizzled out because of the failure of Disneyland Paris, but it's interesting to see what actually did come through, like Toon Town instead of Hollywoodland, and The Little Mermaid ride opening at California Adventure 18 years late.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

This is gonna make House Party look like House Party 2!

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

magnum_valentino has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Apr 19, 2016

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Phanatic posted:

This is gonna make House Party look like House Party 2!

Or House Party 3!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Something I remembered after a friend posted a bunch of pictures from high school is that the 90s is when Goth kids all started to look just silly. Yea, it was black clothing and makeup and poo poo, but it was the 90s when everything became giant pants with buckles and straps and poo poo hanging off them. I also remember goth kids stopped being all morose and sad, listening to the Cure and Bahaus and got all angry and poo poo and constantly talking about hurting other people. I do know some goth kids I knew saw Columbine as some kind of positive thing, where the goth freaks that were bullied finally struck back at the nerds and jocks that treated them like poo poo, but not many. Maybe it was the music going from songs about being lonely and not being able to find love and death to songs about killing and torture and stuff.

Actually come to think of it, as the decade went on, people seemed to get angrier and angrier.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I remember I had a demo disc for "Winter Releases '98" which I think came with the first Spyro game. It had Ghost In the Shell, MediEvil and Tekken 3 (and some others, but I don't remember what they were).

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

God I spent hours with this as a kid. It was impossible to make anything resembling an actual batman cartoon but you could create some of the most surreal animations since Monty Python. Batman could get eaten by his own giant head, which then exploded into hundreds on mini clay faces which ran around, one by one, defying any laws of physics and playing weird fairground music. Then a cartoon penis would crudely draw itself on the screen in rainbow ink with a jingly jangly noise

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Convex posted:

God I spent hours with this as a kid. It was impossible to make anything resembling an actual batman cartoon but you could create some of the most surreal animations since Monty Python. Batman could get eaten by his own giant head, which then exploded into hundreds on mini clay faces which ran around, one by one, defying any laws of physics and playing weird fairground music. Then a cartoon penis would crudely draw itself on the screen in rainbow ink with a jingly jangly noise

Is this you, then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7ncoyPTJC0

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember I had a demo disc for "Winter Releases '98" which I think came with the first Spyro game. It had Ghost In the Shell, MediEvil and Tekken 3 (and some others, but I don't remember what they were).

They also bundled a different version with the console every year or so. Mine had Oddworld, Rage Racer and Porsche Challenge alongside the excellent "dinosaur" tech demo.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

Convex posted:

The Simpsons one was also brilliant for the very same capability.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

No but it is pretty identical to the sort of things I would make. Someday I would love it get it working again on my modern PC and make a better version of The Killing Joke, with added flying mini-Gordons.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

magnum_valentino posted:

They also bundled a different version with the console every year or so. Mine had Oddworld, Rage Racer and Porsche Challenge alongside the excellent "dinosaur" tech demo.

The games bundled with my PS1 were Heart of Darkness, V-Rally, WWF War Zone and a football game I can't remember the name of (probably some kind of Premier League tie-in).

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I had Metal Gear Solid in my bundled demo disc. The script was in English but all of the voice acting was in Japanese.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Star Man posted:

I had Metal Gear Solid in my bundled demo disc. The script was in English but all of the voice acting was in Japanese.

I thnk I had that one too. It was before I learned to adjust the brightness and contrast on the TV so I couldn't see what was happening and Snake died pretty quickly :saddowns:.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Convex posted:

I had the Spectacular Spider-Man one bundled with my PC in 95, which appears to be very nearly the exact same thing, only with different graphics. I still think about it whenever I hear its stock police car radio sound on TV. No, the OTHER stock radio sound.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Of course Napster happened around that time as well. It turns out that yeah piracy did damage album sales but the other side of it was that people wanted to know if the albums sucked or not before buying and, quite frequently, they did. Other times they'd download the one single because seriously, gently caress paying $20 for two songs. The record industry blamed Napster for dwindling album sales but really it was their own damned fault.

Van Halen 3 is a perfect example of this. TERRIBLE album that I bought based on my fanboyism of everything that preceded it, but if I could have listened to the standard 30 second preview tracks, it would not be sitting on my CD rack.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

twistedmentat posted:

Something I remembered after a friend posted a bunch of pictures from high school is that the 90s is when Goth kids all started to look just silly. Yea, it was black clothing and makeup and poo poo, but it was the 90s when everything became giant pants with buckles and straps and poo poo hanging off them. I also remember goth kids stopped being all morose and sad, listening to the Cure and Bahaus and got all angry and poo poo and constantly talking about hurting other people. I do know some goth kids I knew saw Columbine as some kind of positive thing, where the goth freaks that were bullied finally struck back at the nerds and jocks that treated them like poo poo, but not many. Maybe it was the music going from songs about being lonely and not being able to find love and death to songs about killing and torture and stuff.

Actually come to think of it, as the decade went on, people seemed to get angrier and angrier.

Calm down grandpa, the local kids wont hurt you as long as you keep taking your medicine.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nutsngum posted:

Calm down grandpa, the local kids wont hurt you as long as you keep taking your medicine.

Yea, because watching your friends go from being downers but kind of fun to being angry people who openly talk about shooting people and being upset by it makes me a grumpy old :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

I had the Spectacular Spider-Man one bundled with my PC in 95, which appears to be very nearly the exact same thing, only with different graphics. I still think about it whenever I hear its stock police car radio sound on TV. No, the OTHER stock radio sound.

Did yours also come on a CD along with some lovely Fun Encyclopedia 4 Kydz thing? Our Gateway 2000 came with that, some racing game with customizable cars, and some 3d modeling software that was mostly just dragging and dropping existing shapes and changing their colors.