Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Colonial Air Force posted:

Get some Osprey books!

I have all the Osprey books :filez:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Plus you could play Waterloo on a seat tray in the back of a van on long trips.

E: Also, a couple hundred dollars? Does that buy the entire Peninsula War?

Well, I live in New Zealand. So a hefty chunk of that is postage :smithicide:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Is there much point to the "Heroes of the Viking Age" in Saga?

I always thought the point was to forge your own story about your little dudes.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

They have special rules which can be cool. I played the Jomsviking special character last campaign we did and he was a lot of fun. Helped buff my already tiny but elite force well. It's quite a thing when you have 20 Jomsvikings against about 90 Anglo Saxons.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Serotonin posted:

They have special rules which can be cool. I played the Jomsviking special character last campaign we did and he was a lot of fun. Helped buff my already tiny but elite force well. It's quite a thing when you have 20 Jomsvikings against about 90 Anglo Saxons.

That's pretty awesome. I love when asymmetrical battles actually work like that.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Was incredibly close. I lost in the end but went down fighting. Great game

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Has anyone seen this 4Ground Ushi Guruma, or Far East Asian Ox-Cart in person? The style suits a conversion I want to do, but size is a limiting factor, and I can't find an image of one anywhere that provides a sense of scale against a miniature, or even a bse, of known size. Nor can I find any measurements for it on any store listings; I even asked 4Ground, and they never replied. I'm also not prepared to spend the money to test it in person, when I don't have a backup use in case it doesn't work.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Our gaming club showed it's true colour again. We're experimenting a little with a very small scale Viking skirmish game, like 8-10 minis a side, with combat that should resemble Viking stories more than the "GW style" combat that is common in many wargames.

Me: "Ok, so we agree that I order two boxes of plastics from Gripping Beast, one with armoured hirdmen and one with dark age warriors without armour. That's 84 minis, should be way more than we ever need, and we can all use those sprues to make our warbands".

Dude 1: "Great! Oh, and by the way, I just got a box of plastic Huscarls from a demo game, so that's another 32."

Dude 2: "Great! Oh, and I like Foundry vikings, so I will order a bunch from there as well."

Dude 3: "Great! And I also want metal minis, so I'll order a bunch of Jomsvikings from GB as well."

All of us: "Cool, and I have tons of old GW stuff and such that I want to convert to Viking style monsters, so that we can fight mythical Viking battles with trolls and poo poo"

So now we're looking at closer to 200 vikings and a horde of Dark Age monsters. For our tiny skirmish game. Because we like to get carried away.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I wish I had your gaming club.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

All gaming clubs are like a AA meeting where someone goes 'I've got a great idea' and slams an open bottle of whiskey down.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Case in point, long story short, member at ours had a 50% off next Mantic order voucher. Cue a £900 order for Kings of War.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Serotonin posted:

I have all the Osprey books :filez:

You want to look at George Washington's Army (1)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Endman posted:

Rumours are starting to spread about us among other gaming communities in the area, which is hilarious. We're apparently "those weird guys who starts huge historical projects and browbeat people who make racist remarks at game days". It's a long story.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
How dare you call people out on their poo poo while successfully competing projects!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

How dare you call people out on their poo poo while successfully competing projects!

I know. we are shameful wargamers.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

The Internet has taught me that decency and follow-through are the weirdest traits of all.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

But we have a serious problem with self control. On the current list of projects for 2016 are:

1) The entire Viking thing, including terrain
2) About one company worth of Brits in 28mm, both regular infantry and commandos, and around a dozen tanks (halfways done or so)
3) About two infantry plutoons worth of Free French Legionnaires in 28mm, including some tank support (also halfways done)
4) A new bunch of 1:48 German tanks for Sicily and Italy, since all our German tanks are painted grey (!)
5) At least two armies for Sharp Practice 2 in 28mm, starting with French and Russian
6) Two armies for Blücher and Lasalle in 6mm, French and Russian
7) Finish our Japanese, German, Spanish and Italian 16th Century 28mm armies for FoG:R
8) Maybe build two Fantasy armies (KoW or 9th age?) since we found so many Orc and Chaos miniatures stuffed in various boxes anyway

And people are already talking about whether we need some Pacific theater stuff or not. And we really need to expand the Brits, Italians and Germans to cover North Africa, of course. We're like, 6 regular members. It's not healthy.

On the other hand, the Napoleonics club in the neighbouring town has members who paint over 2 000 28mm miniatures per years, so who am I to judge what is healthy or not.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 20, 2016

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Endman posted:

This is me. I can't even get dudes to play these games nevertheless do club projects

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, "Historicals" and "Not-28mm" are basically instant DGAF to the guys at my game store. :smith:

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Just gonna set this down here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/firelockgames/blood-and-plunder

*tries to steady hand as it reaches for wallet of it's own volition.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

The bigger, more established clubs in my area were impossible to get to play historicals as well, which is why some smaller clusters of players evolved over time in the towns around here lately. One went all in on FoW, but is now starting to play CoC in 15mm as well. Another one that I didn't know about until recently started playing Napoleonic mega-battles. And our (which I was headhunted to for terrain making skills) started with CoC in 28mm, and is now starting to branch out into other periods and scales.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

My club is mainly historical but they do branch out with Warmachine, Infintiy and Batman. Current obsession is Kings of War though.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mr.Booger posted:

Just gonna set this down here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/firelockgames/blood-and-plunder

*tries to steady hand as it reaches for wallet of it's own volition.

How does the $50 level include that many miniatures? Man, you'd be set for pirates for life...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
My store - the store as far as the country is concerned - is basically MtG land. We have miniature displays, too, but even with 10+ potential Ham players, even Ham doesn't get much attention. There are some WMH and Malifaux players, and I take my part in keeping Infinity on the radar, but historical have no chance. FoW used to, but not now.

Endman
May 18, 2010

So I just read the excerpt from the Team Yankee book on Battlefront's website and it's.... really awful. Good prose obviously isn't a requirement for the US Army.

I'm still really tempted to buy a whole heap of motorised Soviet Infantry when they're released though.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

berzerkmonkey posted:

How does the $50 level include that many miniatures? Man, you'd be set for pirates for life...

Ugh I wish I wasn't broke. I love painting pirate minis, it's kinda my thing. I have a massive collection I've been building and painting for years at this point. My end goal was/is going to be having a fully painted stock of pirates to do games like Mordheim or Warhammer Historicals and these are veeeeery tempting.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Endman posted:

So I just read the excerpt from the Team Yankee book on Battlefront's website and it's.... really awful. Good prose obviously isn't a requirement for the US Army.

I'm still really tempted to buy a whole heap of motorised Soviet Infantry when they're released though.

Yeah, I started reading the book the other day, and it's really dated. One sign that it wasn't going to go well was the author mentioning 4 times within 5 pages how the human brain doesn't function well at 0245 in the morning... Just off the first two chapters, I'd recommend Red Storm Rising over Team Yankee (though it's been years since I read Storm, so it might also suffer badly from dating.)

I was comparing costs between TY models and GHQ, and realized I could get a 100 point force in 6mm for less than $100 versus the $300+ it would be for a 15mm force. That makes me sad.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Something about 15mm makes it oddly expensive compared to the scales either side of it. Even going with PSC and Zvezda you're still likely to pay way more for a company sized army than you will for a Battalion at other scales :iiam:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm kinda cautious the fact that it includes free shipping internationally means this Kickstarter is not well planned - postage cost delta between US, UK and :australia: is pretty significant.

Still, 50 bucks!

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Arquinsiel posted:

Something about 15mm makes it oddly expensive compared to the scales either side of it. Even going with PSC and Zvezda you're still likely to pay way more for a company sized army than you will for a Battalion at other scales :iiam:

Even 25mm/28mm? There's no way buying 400 25mm minis can be cheaper than 400 15mm minis....

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I'm kinda cautious the fact that it includes free shipping internationally means this Kickstarter is not well planned - postage cost delta between US, UK and :australia: is pretty significant.

Still, 50 bucks!

Between this, the ambition in making all this poo poo and them being a new company I'm waiting for retail. Looks like a cool game though!

Edit: I don't think the shipping is free, but I still avoid first-time kickstarters.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 21, 2016

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Swagger Dagger posted:

Between this, the ambition in making all this poo poo and them being a new company I'm waiting for retail. Looks like a cool game though!

It's disappointing, it would be absolutely perfect for the D&D Game i am running, including the boat!

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, I started reading the book the other day, and it's really dated. One sign that it wasn't going to go well was the author mentioning 4 times within 5 pages how the human brain doesn't function well at 0245 in the morning... Just off the first two chapters, I'd recommend Red Storm Rising over Team Yankee (though it's been years since I read Storm, so it might also suffer badly from dating.)

Red Army is the best Cold War gone Hot book because it doesn't wank over tech and the Soviets win which is Right and Correct. :ussr:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

tomdidiot posted:

Even 25mm/28mm? There's no way buying 400 25mm minis can be cheaper than 400 15mm minis....
Those are a step further again, but amazingly the difference between a platoon at 28mm scale and 15mm scale can be literally nothing. Tanks are your main difference there, but as we've seen die-cast prepaints can end up still being cheaper than anything other than PSC or Zvezda, and even then it's close.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Arquinsiel posted:

Those are a step further again, but amazingly the difference between a platoon at 28mm scale and 15mm scale can be literally nothing. Tanks are your main difference there, but as we've seen die-cast prepaints can end up still being cheaper than anything other than PSC or Zvezda, and even then it's close.

Im finding that with my Sharp Practice project. The cost difference between Warlord/Perry plastics and Old Glory/Blue Moon 15mms is negligible.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Polikarpov posted:

Red Army is the best Cold War gone Hot book because it doesn't wank over tech :ussr:

To the point that it doesn't even name drop equipment, you have to fill it in yourself, like, this chapter has a recon BMP-2.

20mm is priced similarly to 15mm. 3mm gets cheaper when you buy it in bulk. Want a single 3mm tank? That's almost 6mm pricing. Buying a whole lot? Welcome, tovarisch, to Crazy Alyosha's house of tanks. Goes especially well with aircraft and helos.

Then you read TinyTank's blog and see his sabot infantry bases for dismounted motorized...

Endman
May 18, 2010

Apparently there are some people already picking up Team Yankee here, so now I'm at three currently running projects and a couple on the back burner.

Good thing I love painting tiny men.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

berzerkmonkey posted:

Just off the first two chapters, I'd recommend Red Storm Rising over Team Yankee (though it's been years since I read Storm, so it might also suffer badly from dating.)

The only part of Red Storm Rising that feels dated is where he guessed at secret technology that is common knowledge today, like stealth fighters. Otherwise it's fine, as long as you like Clancy books.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I found the prose in Team Yankee to be charmingly crappy. Once you get through the minimal amount of 'characterisation' and set up at the beginning it turns into dopey fun.

Coyle is clearly only interested in the combat, especially the tank fights, which is fine by me. Although, not once in that book did the Soviets ever appear as a genuine threat.

Any London goons here playing Team Yankee btw? A few guys at my club got the starter boxes, but I'm the only one who's built and pained his poo poo.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004

Serotonin posted:

Im finding that with my Sharp Practice project. The cost difference between Warlord/Perry plastics and Old Glory/Blue Moon 15mms is negligible.

This is actually pretty darn true, if you want the nice 15mm models you are paying about the same per figure as a very nice box of perry plastics. And Victrix make it even cheaper and not a huge quality loss (and more poses usually, and more figures per box). The more important factor seems to be space I have found, for play and storage. There are so many nice quality model makers out there now that its hard to pick an era to play in.

I have moved to 10mm for my bigger battle stuff, as again, less space consumed, Pendraken and Old Glory make tons of ranges. Also have some 6mm, but I am liking the 10mm better, from an aesthetic standpoint.