Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Uh, newsflash? Batman is an rear end in a top hat? Comes with the whole millionaire vigilante superiority complex deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Well I didn't stop reading this LP after the Barbara-handgun fiasco, like I thought I would. Thought about stopping at the end of this video too.

Oh, who am I kidding. I love the smell of burning franchise in the morning.

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
Is Henry a Mr Mxyzptlk expy or what? Just needs a jaunty little Derby!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

John Liver posted:

Well I didn't stop reading this LP after the Barbara-handgun fiasco, like I thought I would. Thought about stopping at the end of this video too.

Some men just want to watch the series burn.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

snograt posted:

Is Henry a Mr Mxyzptlk expy or what? Just needs a jaunty little Derby!

No, but given the impossible places Riddler gets into to build his complex traps and puzzles, I'm pretty sure he's secretly Bat-Mite. Except this is ARKHAMVERSE, so Bat-Mite probably hollowed out Nigma and is wearing his decomposing skin as a suit.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'll write up some notes for these ones when I get the time later. In general terms, the whole point of the end of this sequence, like most of the other major plot points of the game, is that Batman fails, and people die, when he attempts to act alone. These failures cause him to further isolate himself, etc. He got that video of Jason Todd dying, and it's permanently effected how he interacts with everyone since. The Joker in him, given a separate identity and empowered by the fear gas, has been making him relive the ways his allies have suffered on his behalf all night.

mandatory lesbian posted:

i feel like it's pretty clear all the terrible decisions are gonna be explained away with "joker disease" which is a cop-out but whatever i've kinda tuned the story out as far as caring about it goes

If you've decided you don't care and you've tuned it out, maybe don't post about it.

GimpInBlack posted:

If I recall right, you don't get a full loop of the Jason Todd sequence, but it does loop the part where Joker lets you out and the hallucination "resets" to reality.

Joker also has several responses, including, iirc, one where he actually waits for a bit before appearing to let you out, giving you a lecture about how boring it is all the while.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Additionally, when Robin is taunting Harley, she will kill him if you don't come out of the grate to confront her.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M9jUfvubYU

That's awesome, I didn't know that one. Rocksteady is fantastic at giving players rewards for unusual behavior, even if the reward is a different fail state.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 19, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm finding myself actually really engrossed in the plot and really eager to see what happens next because I know each plot twist is going to be dumber than the last. I just need to know HOW DUMB IT GETS.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
I actually kinda liked this episode. It recognises that the smart move is to stay in the cage, but has a legitimate excuse at this point of "Our protagonist is literally insane" to explain why they don't take it. Personally, I'd like it if you could get back in the second time and get the same kind of Game Over as Catwoman leaving Batman in City, but a hallucinatory loop is pretty good too. And if you're going to off the Jokers, the hivemind Highlander situation seems pretty in-character. It also reinforces that Adams got the same Joker thought processes as Batman, since head-Joker's been on a eugenics lobbying mission for a while now. The bad Bat-decisions felt like intentional bad Bat-decisions, rather than incidental or accidental ones.

Plus, the King and Charisma sequences were pretty great, and unlike the Bell sequence they didn't involve constant grapple hook noises. Seriously, the Bat-family must get through a TON of parts for those things - half the time Batman uses them because he can't be bothered to walk a bit and stretch his arms, and apparently Robin just likes swinging around like a Grayson.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I did think of a non narrative purpose for this whole section at least. Has the game ever spelled out who the hell Jason Todd was before this outside of data files that most players won't read? It leads credence to the him as the knight theory that they stuck in this huge story drop on him for people like me that haven't read the comics. At the very least something about him and his death is likely to be plot relevant soon.

Discendo Vox posted:

I'll write up some notes for these ones when I get the time later. In general terms, the whole point of the end of this sequence, like most of the other major plot points of the game, is that Batman fails, and people die, when he attempts to act alone. These failures cause him to further isolate himself, etc. He got that video of Jason Todd dying, and it's permanently effected how he interacts with everyone since. The Joker in him, given a separate identity and empowered by the fear gas, has been making him relive the ways his allies have suffered on his behalf all night.

But he isn't working alone here. He cleans out the studios buddy cop style with Robin, and the ultimate failure is based entirely around him working with Henry Adams. If he had kept consistent characterization and locked the dude back up rather than randomly trusting him out of the blue for no reason, all of this could have been avoided.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Discendo Vox posted:

That's awesome, I didn't know that one. Rocksteady is fantastic at giving players rewards for unusual behavior, even if the reward is a different fail state.

The voice acting is surprisingly good, especially Robin's bit in the middle of the countdown (~2:20). "I'm kind of in agreement, anytime NOW would be good" like he was trying to signal Batman.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The thug's reaction to Robin taunting Harley is hilarious, I love it.

OOOOHHHH

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
We're all familiar with the concept of an Unreliable Narrator, but at this point I think we've got ourselves a case of an Unreliable Video Game Protagonist. Batman is so hosed up that he's doing poo poo contrary to what might make sense to the person in control, of his own volition.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
As much as it could probably too weird to try, you'd think Harley would have weirder attempts at talking to batman now that she should know he's Joker number 5. On one hand he's the guy who technically had the first and all the duplicates killed, on the other hand its Joker in Batman - and as she should know, the guy who had the blood put into him directly from the source. And if she can warm up to old men being Joker, well, there should at least be a funny call with her somehow hacking the communications network to sort of ask what she supposed to do now, Mista J.

And speaking of missed opportunities, I still hate it when people gently caress up monologues about Evolution and the Strong surviving when it's the most adaptable to change that always wins. Ain't it funny that the last one on the list is the one who still can't adapt to their parents being dead? Let alone change their Modus operandi when they're losing robins, allies to super villainy and now Barbras left and right!

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 19, 2016

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Hey, Johnny Charisma is Michael Rosembaum. It's always nice to hear him in a DC production, even if he's no longer the Flash.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm sure it's been done before though.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Polaron posted:

Hey, Johnny Charisma is Michael Rosembaum. It's always nice to hear him in a DC production, even if he's no longer the Flash.

Or Lex Luthor.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Major_JF posted:

Or Lex Luthor.

Or both :v:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm sure it's been done before though.

He would be a better hero than Bruce,at this rate:

Arkham Knight:I know all of your tricks,old man. :smug:

Batbat:*bloodcurdling screech,then just takes a mighty poo poo on him*

AK:* runs away screaming in terror and crying like the manbaby he is*

Bat guano is no joke.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 20, 2016

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Well, that was a bit predictable. 'Bad bat-decisions' was definitely the perfect subtitle for this. :)

Although with regards to Harley, it would be amusing to have a dual fight later with her as the partner; there's plenty of time for more bad decisions, the plot's not done yet.

Discendo Vox posted:

If you've decided you don't care and you've tuned it out, maybe don't post about it.

It's a legitimate opinion. One could very easily enjoy the gameplay or the lp and still have largely given up on the story at this point; it is somewhat of a mess. I don't blame anyone throwing their hands up at this point.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I dunno, this all seems pretty good IMO.

The silliest thing about this game is how much of a clowncar the whole game+DLC is with all the poo poo going on.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Holy Christ what a train wreck this has turned into; let me guess, after that last little poo poo show in Batman's personal concentration camp do we now unmask Arkham Knight only to find Bruce Wayne staring back at us? Like some after school special that tries too hard?

I can't wait until the finale that has Batman waking up back in Kansas.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Polaron posted:

Speaking of, the expression when he asked he Batman wanted an encore was great.
Too bad the game went turbogrimdark soon afterwards.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Called it, the Knight is Jason.
Ok, we don't have confirmation yet, but come on. After Jason Reminiscence Hour, who else could it be?

Bad Bat Decisions all around, this plot is simply :magical: magical
I'm honestly kinda looking forward to what will come next, trainwrecks are kinda hypnotic after all.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Holy Christ what a train wreck this has turned into; let me guess, after that last little poo poo show in Batman's personal concentration camp do we now unmask Arkham Knight only to find Bruce Wayne staring back at us? Like some after school special that tries too hard?

I can't wait until the finale that has Batman waking up back in Kansas.

Well, Hush hasn't shown up yet, so your theory could still come to pass.

On the other hand, there's the question of why you would want to use Hush...

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Marshal Radisic posted:

On the other hand, there's the question of why you would want to use Hush...

As an anti-Bruce figure, not an anti-Batman villain. Someone who goes after Bruce Wayne, and even if he knows that they are one and the same, has no problems with Batman. Sort of a different version of Two-Face if you do it right.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

So, as far as I can guess, Jason is either Azrael (doubtful), about to appear out of nowhere as Red Hood (maybe?), or he's the Arkham Knight. Considering the Knight hates Batman, wants to see him fail at saving his allies, and knows so much about him... :shepicide:

This game takes itself as seriously as the Nolan movies for Bat Tragedies, but has the plot of an Animated Series episode. If you take out all the stupid suicide scenes, not only would it scan better pretty much across the board, but that last Jason scene would be absolutely horrifying. This game just doesn't have any restraint. It's so dumb

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I like this clip better.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'll admit, I think the branding part was dumb, but I liked the last Jason hallucination. It shows how Batman got to be the kind of guy who wants to do everything alone.

Unfortunately, we never got to see Batman willing to accept teamwork outside of the last thirty minutes of Origins' plot, so it's not as strong of a scene as it could be.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Crabtree posted:

As much as it could probably too weird to try, you'd think Harley would have weirder attempts at talking to batman now that she should know he's Joker number 5. On one hand he's the guy who technically had the first and all the duplicates killed, on the other hand its Joker in Batman - and as she should know, the guy who had the blood put into him directly from the source. And if she can warm up to old men being Joker, well, there should at least be a funny call with her somehow hacking the communications network to sort of ask what she supposed to do now, Mista J.

She has lines about it if you talk to her in the cell at some points.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

It's a legitimate opinion. One could very easily enjoy the gameplay or the lp and still have largely given up on the story at this point; it is somewhat of a mess. I don't blame anyone throwing their hands up at this point.

They're disagreeing with things they think are cop-outs specifically because they have been ignoring all the reasons that they are being done. They're then following up by being smug about it.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

John Liver posted:

The jokerjacking (and like everything else) was bad enough that I couldn't take the videos anymore but I do enjoy reading the reactions to them here on occasion.

quote:

:allears:

I can see why this one's rated worse than Origins despite the benefit of substantial effort across the boards in improving and expanding gameplay (I'm sure the challenges and non-campaign stuff comes off the best for it tho). The pc release being a mess too was the icing on the cake.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ManlyGrunting posted:

Also something about Batman and Robin both doing the rapid-fire beatdowns on King makes me crack up, it's just such a goofy animation when they're doing it in perfect synch and King just doesn't appear phased in the slightest.

Yeah, it's kinda funny how Batman's supposed to be like this universe's Captain America; a man at peak physical fitness, and he and his sidekick just keep wailing on this random athlete and he just takes it for twenty hits to little reaction.

Same thing with the regular brutes too, to be honest.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

I'm really loving this game, because this plot is straight 90's Batman crazy. I legit sat down one day and read basically every Batman comic from the 70's Neil Adams era up to the 90's, where I stopped because THIS happened. Big world destroying even after event, constant driveby cameos, every villain ever getting shoved in strangely, this is straight up a bad Batman event series.

I THINK the idea is that the Joker Virus is basically doing to people the same thing that chemical bath did to the Joker at Ace Chemicals, it's just that because Batman knew the Joker more intimately that anybody else, and he was tripping on hallucinogens, is what lead to the fully constructed mind-Joker. Which is still dumb as poo poo, so whatever!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Discendo Vox posted:

She has lines about it if you talk to her in the cell at some points.

There's also certain lines you can have with Tim if you want to go a level beyond terrible Bat Decisions. :ssj:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

hard counter posted:

I can see why this one's rated worse than Origins despite the benefit of substantial effort across the boards in improving and expanding gameplay (I'm sure the challenges and non-campaign stuff comes off the best for it tho). The pc release being a mess too was the icing on the cake.

After six months of DLC? Maybe. At release? gently caress no.

This game easily had the worst challenge maps of the series, with around five combat maps and five predator maps. It's cool though, because there was around fifteen Batmobile maps though.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
It's odd how they sort of trivialize A Death in the Family post Jason's back in comics. Here he isn't even seemingly interested in if his mother is still alive, although I don't blame them for skipping out trying to thwart Joker's plan to sell a nuke to Middle East terrorists to bomb Israel, Becomes the Iranian ambassador to the UN, embezzling money from African aid or Batman forcing a truth serum on Lady Shiva to get her to say she isn't Jason's mother. (Death in the Family is like peak Reagan years poo poo including some Iran-Contra overtones) In the game he was just held for six months and apparently mentally broken while Batman couldn't find him and seemingly gave him up for dead until he got the video from the last Hallucination that had him shot dead. Sort of understandable in how it fucks up Bruce even further, but not really given a lot of context of who Jason was in the Arkham world if I remember right.

Jason Todd always had a bum rap for being the Robin after Dick. Pre-Crisis of Infinite Earths he was literally another circus orphan, this time by Killer Croc, who was red-headed, bumbling but really cheerful compared to Dick's run or Bats. All of these differences likely only helped fuel the hatred nerds had for him since Batman #357. Notable for wearing even weirder circus clothes until Nightwing gives him a robin suit, tells him to dye his hair and he looks like the same ol Dick with a different name.

Then they try to make him different post Crisis. He's a lot more angry, impulsive and eager to fight. Loves just going in and start punching people in the face and ruin "weeks of planning" or any subterfuge Batman could have employed. Son of Willis and Catherine Todd, a felon that didn't return to his family after a prison term and mother that abused drugs and needed money for her fix until she ODed, its no surprise Jason was a petty criminal who was famously caught trying to steal the tires from the Batmobile. Bat's first thought was to put the now orphaned hood in a home, but because its loving Gotham City, the orphanage he picked obviously used kids as an army of thieves and pick pockets, so Bruce eventually just adopts him after shutting down the operation. He then proceeds to Raphael his way into confrontations and is the Robin who, without a Red Hood to justify violent deaths, makes Batman question if he's a serious threat.

According to "Notes from the Batcave: An Interview with Dennis O'Neil", they were still getting hate mail and this change only made him more of an usurper to The Dick.

So around 88 they finally plan to remove Jason from the Robin role, but they don't know how to specifically do it without creating another Jason for fans to likely hate. Since Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns (1986) was released two years before #426-9 (1988-9), theories have put the blame on the plan to killing Todd entirely on this story's popularity and influence even back then, because it already involved a long dead Jason. So several months before A Death in The Family begins, DC runs a promotion to let US and Canadian nerds call in to decide the Fate of Jason Todd from September 15th to 16th of 1988 for about roughly a dollar a vote.

With over 10,000 votes and the majority demanding death, 5,343 to 5,271, DC wrote one of the most significant stories in Batman for a long time. The first canonical death of a Robin. Beaten with a crowbar, betrayed by his biological mother and blown up by a time bomb, the image of Batman carrying a dead Jason out of the rubble like a walking Pietà was one of the iconic images of Batman. It also got a lot of flak from people thinking this was morbid as poo poo for comics. But DC stuck by it and took its time, slowly integrating Tim Drake to avoid any sort of Jason situation again via introducing him to Dick first and Batman smoldering over the idea to train Todd in the wake of Jason's loss for a year or so.

Of course it doesn't last, but at least Denis O'Neil seems to keep making up new rumors to the crazy poo poo people pulled to get Todd to die. Like the "one guy, who programmed his computer to dial the thumbs down number every ninety seconds for eight hours" and spent basically $100 to make sure a sidekick got whacked.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Apr 20, 2016

GrandpaAhab
Sep 15, 2011

Oh no, not again.
And here I thought they were setting up Jason Todd to be the Arkham Knight and burst forth from the hallucination in The Joker's place with Tim in the seat. What is the point in those flashbacks if he's just dead? Maybe if the bullet looked like it was in the chest, but that clearly looked like a bloody face and I'm pretty sure we've established at some point that the Joker DNA gives the victim the Joker's memories.
As dumb as the decision to throw Robin in the cell is, I do like it because I do like cringing at awful decisions. Probably why I'm the only person who liked Todd Margaret.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
They're establishing who Jason was and how he was tortured. Batman will pull off the Knight's mask, and we will see the brand on his cheek. This will be a shocking twist.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

GrandpaAhab posted:

And here I thought they were setting up Jason Todd to be the Arkham Knight and burst forth from the hallucination in The Joker's place with Tim in the seat. What is the point in those flashbacks if he's just dead? Maybe if the bullet looked like it was in the chest, but that clearly looked like a bloody face and I'm pretty sure we've established at some point that the Joker DNA gives the victim the Joker's memories.
As dumb as the decision to throw Robin in the cell is, I do like it because I do like cringing at awful decisions. Probably why I'm the only person who liked Todd Margaret.

Goldeneye spoilers: 006 got shot in the head in the first ten minutes of Goldeneye and still ended up being the big bad. And that wasn't even comic books. Jason Todd could have been completely dismembered and his pieces scattered across the globe, and he'd still have a chance of coming back via magic ritual or alternate universe or something. All we've got here is a bloody head wound, which is basically any head wound ever.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Jason Todd always had a bum rap for being the Robin after Dick. Pre-Crisis of Infinite Earths he was literally another circus orphan, this time by Killer Croc, who was red-headed, bumbling but really cheerful compared to Dick's run or Bats. All of these differences likely only helped fuel the hatred nerds had for him since Batman #357. Notable for wearing even weirder circus clothes until Nightwing gives him a robin suit, tells him to dye his hair and he looks like the same ol Dick with a different name.

1) this all happened before i was born, and that's weird bc i thought the whole jason todd thing happened in the 90's

2) they should have kept him red-haired, if for no other reason then they could have given him shirley temple curls and that would have been funny, to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Plus they already pointed out that the Arkham Knight is missing an eye. It's got to be Todd. As obvious a reveal as it will be it'd be better than if it was just someone else that hasn't even been mentioned yet like cyborg Hugo Strange or something.

• Locked thread