Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
There would be a Guardian thinkpiece on how another leader would have gotten in with a higher vote share before Corbs even moved in to No.10

E: on this day in all years it is appropriate to smoke "dank kush".

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Zephro posted:

So this would appear to mean that, for instance, before WhatsApp launched its new end-to-end encryption earlier this month it had to ask HMG whether they wanted it to secretly not actually be end-to-end at all or whether they wanted it backdoored, right? I assume Facebook is one of the 10 to 12...

e: On reflection, it's probably safer to say "I don't know".

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 20, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Oberleutnant posted:

This is bad for Corbyn.

this is the worst meme this thread has had

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Corbyn bad. Corbad.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
More like geriatric poorbin

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
(I'm trying to make a worse meme)

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Jose posted:

It hasn't lost its charm for me.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

To be fair it wasn't us that made it a meme. That was the press's doing.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I'm surprised that the papers don't seem to be up in arms about McDonnell calling for the overthrow of the government. Thought the Mail and Telegraph would have a field day with that.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Jose posted:

This thread has good memes?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pesmerga posted:

"Corbyn is elected Prime Minster: this is bad for Corbyn" would be an entirely appropriate and accurate headline.

It's also one that nobody will ever have the opportunity to use.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

e: On reflection, it's probably safer to say "I don't know".
Well, it must have, or else it would be flagrantly ignoring a law that applies to it.

Edit: the more you think about this the messier it seems. Suppose $Company decides to rely on encrypted messages for sensitive information. It then turns out they aren't safe after all, after some random hacker stumbles across a back door mandated by HMG. What happens in court, particularly a non-British court? "A foreign government told us we had to gimp our encryption, m'lud, so this suit should be thrown out". Can't see many courts buying that as an excuse.

If that seems far fetched we still don't know where the Juniper back doors came from either the first one or the later-modified version. "

Zephro fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 20, 2016

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pissflaps posted:

It's also one that nobody will ever have the opportunity to use.

True. Prime Minister is not an elected position.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Zephro posted:

Well, it must have, or else it would be flagrantly ignoring a law that applies to it.

Edit: the more you think about this the messier it seems. Suppose $Company decides to rely on encrypted messages for sensitive information. It then turns out they aren't safe after all, after some random hacker stumbles across a back door mandated by HMG. What happens in court, particularly a non-British court? "A foreign government told us we had to gimp our encryption, m'lud, so this suit should be thrown out". Can't see many courts buying that as an excuse.

If that seems far fetched we still don't know where the Juniper back doors came from either the first one or the later-modified version. "

Well it's not a legal requirement for products to have *working* encryption anywhere in the world that I'm aware of, so then it becomes a contract law issue. Given vendors are already covered for both incompetence and malice when failing to live up to their published claims about security, there's not any real difference if they do it as a matter of legal requirement. The Juniper back doors were specifically mentioned as being put in without Juniper noticing and were discovered and published by Juniper themselves so it seems unlikely in the extreme that they were put there as a result of collusion (legal or not) between Juniper and a government, but certainly not impossible they were injected by a state actor, so they're a bit off-topic for this discussion.

To get back to the original point, I don't know if WhatsApp/Facebook have a RIPA s.12 notice served on them - my pre-edit answer was "No they don't because RIPA only applies in the UK" but I forgot that they added an extraterritoriality clause to it in DRIPA. To my knowledge this has not been applied as yet, because it's on very shaky ground legally and it's extremely unlikely that a US company would meekly accept it, but it's not impossible that they might have done so. Therefore it's not kosher for me to say definitely one way or the other if they have a notice on them and so whether or not they'd have had to discuss their encryption with HMG.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

"Of course Jeremy Corbyn's not anti-fast food - he went to the British Kebab Awards"

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/04/course-jeremy-corbyns-not-anti-fast-food-he-went-british-kebab-awards

The headline is the only part of the article worth reading.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Zephro posted:

Edit: the more you think about this the messier it seems.
Well then, don't think about it. That's the government's solution.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

DesperateDan posted:

Someone who puts milk in before the hot water.

I know this is a couple pages back, but this has brought up a concerning issue for me. What is the optimal way to make coffee/tea? Green tea I put a bit of cold water in with the teabags then fill the rest with boiling, normal tea I flip flop, but my racist UKIP council running nazi mate who wanted to castrate and sterilize all black people told me that it's best to put the milk in first. Coffee I just put the milk in last because otherwise I risk overflowing with the machine.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Megaspel posted:

normal tea I flip flop, but my racist UKIP council running nazi mate who wanted to castrate and sterilize all black people told me that it's best to put the milk in first.
He's even scared of black tea.

Milk always goes in after tea if you're making it in the cup. If you're making it in a pot/urn/boiler then it doesn't really matter.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Megaspel posted:

I know this is a couple pages back, but this has brought up a concerning issue for me. What is the optimal way to make coffee/tea? Green tea I put a bit of cold water in with the teabags then fill the rest with boiling, normal tea I flip flop, but my racist UKIP council running nazi mate who wanted to castrate and sterilize all black people told me that it's best to put the milk in first. Coffee I just put the milk in last because otherwise I risk overflowing with the machine.

He's wrong. You don't infuse tea leaves with cold milk

Teabag -> Hot water -> Milk

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
If you're pouring the tea from a fancy teapot then it's OK to put milk in first. The idea is that if you're using china cups the cold milk cools the tea and prevents the cups from cracking because of the sudden temperature differential. I guess you could gently prewarm the cups to prevent that too. Otherwise hot water on the teabag, then milk.

The worst people imo are people who don't take out the teabag before adding milk.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Guavanaut posted:

He's even scared of black tea.

:drat:

big scary monsters posted:

If you're pouring the tea from a fancy teapot then it's OK to put milk in first. The idea is that if you're using china cups the cold milk cools the tea and prevents the cups from cracking because of the sudden temperature differential. I guess you could gently prewarm the cups to prevent that too. Otherwise hot water on the teabag, then milk.

The worst people imo are people who don't take out the teabag before adding milk.

I often drink tea with the teabag still in.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

No, the worst people are people who have really weak tea.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah the problem with putting the milk in first is the milk starts getting infused with tea and goes bitter.

Removing teabag before milk is the only acceptable way.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Megaspel posted:

Why don't you just eat the teabag it would probably taste the same.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Megaspel posted:

History's greatest monster has come to the thread!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Megaspel posted:

:yikes:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

it's good for herbal teas because you keep getting more flavour.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Just put the milk in the kettle

loving tea drinkers, christ

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oberleutnant posted:

it's good for herbal teas because you keep getting more flavour.

Herbal yes, Green tea passable

Normal tea? b u r n t h e b l a s p h e m e r

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Just put the milk in the kettle

loving tea drinkers, christ

Corbyn has no choice but to resign over this.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
Teabag, milk, hot water, sugar (!), drink. Leave the teabag in.
I'm so, so sorry.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Right that's two for the guillotine.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i don't drink tea really

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
The worst are people who put milk in earl grey that's just wrong.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

StoneOfShame posted:

I will show myself to the guillotine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

StoneOfShame posted:

:agreed: though I do like sugar in it.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

tentish klown posted:

Teabag, milk, hot water, sugar (!), drink. Leave the teabag in.
I'm so, so sorry.

Have you considered hiring a butler to do these things for you?

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Of all places, I'd have thought this thread would be against Proper Tea

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Looks like the Graun is going to lay off Corbyn a bit. :O

quote:

Snap PMQs Verdict: A solid win for Corbyn. Cameron managed to get his usual comic broadside into his final answer (although did you notice how he did not do his usual schtick about the importance of a strong economy - the unemployment figures killed off that today), but Corbyn got the better off him with the sheer weight of evidence he was able to cite about the extent of opposition to the plan to turn all schools into academies. It seemed as if the quotes would never stop. If Labour’s research team did a good job, Cameron’s did too, because he had a sound response to Corbyn’s fifth question, about the school visit. But Corbyn’s quotes were better, and Corbyn successfully questioned both the need for more academies (claims that academisation raises quality is questionable) and how this can be seen as decentralisation.

Hope it lasts longer than just until the EU ref though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
What are you weirdos putting milk in tea for? Milk is stolen from exploited worker cows you monsters.

• Locked thread