Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Photex posted:

i'm sorry I can't hear you over all the money LG paypal'd me.

stop triggering me!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Maguro posted:

Can we talk about how garbage this NA shuffle has become? I know it's still going on, but good lord.

C9 forfeiting their CEVO lan chances against Splyce since they can't field a stable roster at all. Simple not able to play with liquid for a whole month cause of possible visa issues.

i'm pretty disappointed i won't be able to see s1mple + koosta on LAN for DHack.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Photex posted:

i'm pretty disappointed i won't be able to see s1mple + koosta on LAN for DHack.

I heard koosta was pulling his weight a week or two ago in online matches, but tonight he's looking kinda bad vs NRG.

Wish liquid had just thrown more money at a Euro, but maybe koosta will evolve.

EDIT: now he's top of the board on dust 2. The first map he looked weak but he warmed up.

Maguro fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 20, 2016

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I still don't understand Liquid's choice to mold one of the most headstrong but talented AWPers in CS into something useful. And then draft another young, unproved AWP. What.

In other news I literally can't play CS anymore it looks like. I'll float at 60 ping for a few seconds, spike to 200, float down to 100 and then spike up to 700+ a few seconds later. :rip:

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Haha, started nosing through the comments of the most recent "FLUSHA VAC" r/GO post, found this gem of an effortpost: https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/3pfcyw/the_flusha_effect/cw65bws

Don't look at them in the context of "major tournament pros", watch the gifs as if you were doing overwatch, and tell me you wouldn't convict the hell outta dude :rip:

edit: I don't want to talk about the technical intricacies here, nor should you feel compelled to bring it up in defense of him. Bottom line is: there is always a way

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

Haha, started nosing through the comments of the most recent "FLUSHA VAC" r/GO post, found this gem of an effortpost: https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/3pfcyw/the_flusha_effect/cw65bws

Don't look at them in the context of "major tournament pros", watch the gifs as if you were doing overwatch, and tell me you wouldn't convict the hell outta dude :rip:

edit: I don't want to talk about the technical intricacies here, nor should you feel compelled to bring it up in defense of him. Bottom line is: there is always a way
God, no, stop, we don't need this stupid argument again.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

There's a scandal on the horizon, regardless of how much you do or don't want to talk about it. Dude's blatant

In the case of SC2 match fixing, the leagues waited an absurd amount of time (over 2 years) and continued to collect as much evidence as they could, before approaching the authorities and seeking conviction (not merely league bans, but actual fines and restitution). CSGO is only getting bigger, I am sure we will have at least one good garbage day this year

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

I wonder how many people would bitch about cheats if they weren't addicted to skin betting.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
http://gfycat.com/UncommonLightheartedEagle#?speed=0.5

this is my favorite one because if the guy was really aimhacking do you think he'd need 10+ bullets to kill a guy right in front of him

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I guess I should mention that I don't actually gamble, too.

^ pretty clear, to me, that he doesn't press it until the very end when he's chuffed the first 10

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

^ pretty clear, to me, that he doesn't press it until the very end when he's chuffed the first 10
Also, he can curve the bullet paths with his mind.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I wish I had the mental discipline to hit moving m4s sprays like the pros

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I won't believe any pro is cheating until someone gets busted for steroids

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

There's a scandal on the horizon, regardless of how much you do or don't want to talk about it. Dude's blatant

In the case of SC2 match fixing, the leagues waited an absurd amount of time (over 2 years) and continued to collect as much evidence as they could, before approaching the authorities and seeking conviction (not merely league bans, but actual fines and restitution). CSGO is only getting bigger, I am sure we will have at least one good garbage day this year

your as retarded as the guy that flips out whenever mm is mentioned

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

This list has been going around forever and most of it has been disproven as its mostly low tick rate poor quality out of context gifs.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Sooooo where's the POVs then? That's how you disprove these things, no?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

POVs are on HLTV. Phone posting so I'm not digging anything up or effort posting that poo poo away.

e: https://www.gfycat.com/ShabbyShockingGermanshepherd is one example. Can't remember what # it is on the list

mcvey fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 20, 2016

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ArfJason posted:

also im positive the old footsteps were way clearer when it came to positioning even though i doubt they messed with any code that controls level mixing and channel panning.

also i've been wondering for a very long time how would it be possible to do vertical sound positioning in a lateral oriented output like speakers/headphones...

I think some games do it by changing the actual sound depending on whether it's up up or down. Like making it slightly more bassy if they are above or more tinny if they are below.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I watched a demo of mine the other day and saw at least 3 really sketchy moments. I don't cheat.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

mcvey posted:

POVs are on HLTV. Phone posting so I'm not digging anything up or effort posting that poo poo away.

e: https://www.gfycat.com/ShabbyShockingGermanshepherd is one

I'm not looking for "disproven" gifs, or the demos of the match, I'm looking for the POV of his gameplay. Sorry if that wasn't clear

Edit: unless I'm missing something, there's a hilariously low amount of POVs available on HLTV

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I'm not looking for "disproven" gifs, or the demos of the match, I'm looking for the POV of his gameplay. Sorry if that wasn't clear

Edit: unless I'm missing something, there's a hilariously low amount of POVs available on HLTV

Yeah, HLTV really doesn't upload POV demos ever. For instance, if I recall correctly, Bravado hasn't faced an EU team since 2014.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

iirc their GOTV section under replays has 128 tick demos but they're not POV.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I've hit some VAC as hell snap shots and smoke/wallbangs and I'm an absolute shitter. Just stop

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Stop asking for POV videos? No, I don't think I will. I'd really like to see what it looks like for someone to make those plays from their perspective, because it's clearly not something I'll ever experience

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

This is incomprehensibly retarded

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Honestly I reckon JW may have hacked in the past when he was on that team with Emilio. But I do not think that he hacks today in the team fnatic.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

qhat posted:

Honestly I reckon JW may have hacked in the past when he was on that team with Emilio. But I do not think that he hacks today in the team fnatic.
Well in the early days of pro CS:GO, I guarantee cheats were prevalent. Look at how many VAC bans were given out in late 2013 and 2014. There hasn't really been a well-known VAC banned pro in over a year, though.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Oh, so I guess I forgot to link the very latest oddshot: http://oddshot.tv/shot/esl-csgo-20160419192633571 Semmler's reaction is loving priceless

This one is especially awesome, because the guy he's expecting to find moves at the last second so that he's no longer the closest target to the crosshair, and it sweeps in the opposite direction.

So, my theory is that they're waiting and building their case before they push for a conviction. If the SC2 match fixing scandals are anything to judge by, it will be another 6 months before we see anything, but when we do, it will not be simple bans, but actual criminal charges. That all took place within South Korea, though (which, unfortunately, has an established series of rulings for dealing with these types of scandals in esports). I have no idea where they'd even start with something like this.

The biggest change between early 2014 and now is by and large the amount of money at stake.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uar98LrBBbU

Please stop

mcvey fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 20, 2016

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

mcvey posted:

Please stop

POV or bust

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

If you don't fire at that spot in a 1v3 situation, I don't know what to tell you. Other than: git gud.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

In the case of SC2 match fixing, the leagues waited an absurd amount of time (over 2 years) and continued to collect as much evidence as they could, before approaching the authorities and seeking conviction (not merely league bans, but actual fines and restitution)

yeah, that was through Kespa, the Korean government body regulating esports over there and iirc they could only 100% confirm the match fixing after they got people to testify by getting unrelated dirt dug up on them. its serious loving business over there, almost as much as (or even moreso) it would be in the nba/nfl

If the SC2 match fixing scandals are anything to judge by, it will be another 6 months before we see anything, but when we do, it will not be simple bans, but actual criminal charges.

there will be no criminal charges because there is nothing else like kespa in any other region

Luna Was Here fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Apr 20, 2016

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Oh, so I guess I forgot to link the very latest oddshot: http://oddshot.tv/shot/esl-csgo-20160419192633571 Semmler's reaction is loving priceless

This one is especially awesome, because the guy he's expecting to find moves at the last second so that he's no longer the closest target to the crosshair, and it sweeps in the opposite direction.

Semmler reacts like this all the time to ridiculous plays.

Isn't it an easier conclusion that flamie moving just makes noise that tells flusha he is there, rather than it triggering his aimbot?

Of all the questionable flusha clips, this is really not one of them.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Also Reddit seems permanently convinced that people could cheat by smuggling hacks in their mouse/keyboard/headset. Is there any evidence of anything like that actually existing?

Even if it did exist, I'm no sysadmin but surely the first things you'd do on setting up a LAN tournament computer is disable all external storage devices and lock down any unauthorised executables from even running?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

peanut- posted:

Semmler reacts like this all the time to ridiculous plays.

Isn't it an easier conclusion that flamie moving just makes noise that tells flusha he is there, rather than it triggering his aimbot?

Of all the questionable flusha clips, this is really not one of them.

It's hard to tell whether flamie is walking or running though when he takes that step, he is probably walking though.

There are lots of reasonable possibilities. You can see the smoke is literally fading as he gets the kill. He can see flamie on the map, he can see his name tag on his crosshair, and it's possible he can actually see flamie on his in-eye demo given the slight discrepancy between GOTV and POV smokes.

The chances a known pro/semi-pro somewhere is cheating in online qualifiers and leagues is moderate. The chances of anybody in one of the Top 10 or 15 teams or so cheating is pretty low in my books, and the chance of them pulling it off at a major probably less than 1%. even if they cheat online. Being filmed and watched the entire time, how are you going to press this supposed aimkey without being busted? It would need to be smuggled in undetected and require zero setup, and also not persist on the computer for the next player. Something dumb like an aimkey no loving way. It would have to be a tiny aim assist to go undetected, and frankly it seems hardly worth the risk.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

peanut- posted:

Also Reddit seems permanently convinced that people could cheat by smuggling hacks in their mouse/keyboard/headset. Is there any evidence of anything like that actually existing?

Even if it did exist, I'm no sysadmin but surely the first things you'd do on setting up a LAN tournament computer is disable all external storage devices and lock down any unauthorised executables from even running?

Yeah there was a cheat around 18months ago that exploited buggy mouse drivers to inject the cheat into the kernel. IDK if there's any evidence of people actually using it on LAN though.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

NOTE: THIS IS PURELY THEORETICAL

peanut- posted:

In the past, Russians gave away USB chargers as merch gizmos on a G20 meeting. They later turned out to have been infected with all sorts of malware. Similarly, you can in principle add a dongle to an usb cable that will execute a few commands sneakily; the board in question is really small. Then you have Razer mice which have drivers to install and you probably can hide some crazy poo poo with them.

So, it's possible to compromise anything if you have an USB connection. This attack is very very rare in the wild - simply because it's cheaper to use software solutions. But, feasible if that's what you had to do.

peanut- posted:

You'd think, but by many accounts only ESL events are super tight about this. Someone talked about the recent qualifier LAN for a major and apparently he could just walk up to a PC and do whatever with it if he wanted (I forget who, sorry). ESL events don't give you direct access. But then, you need to consider the 'sneaky' methods using USB as an attack vector. These can be defeated by carefully watching what happens when the peripheral is inserted to the PC. But again, the only time this was reported to have been done was in the ESL event right after the big witch hunts and pro VAC waves. And I can think of several ways to make something even more surreptitious if players don't get their phones taken, and supply their own gear beforehand.

Back in the day there were workshop cheats, also, that's what got KQLY done in. Easy to check for but if you don't block everything properly...

The one saving grace is that you have to be able to read memory to get player positions (for an aimlock key, which is all a decent player needs to have a huge advantage), so you can't be fully surreptitious - and so it should be possible to have security as good as "you will have to literally bribe someone to get cheats in", but whether it's being done or not is a completely different thing. Standardized gear, non-changeable config, no electronics on players on site, and no internet connection would be the way to do it.

As to whether pros cheat... yeah. There's bound to be some. My friend, who used to play with semi-pros and pros in 1.6 in NA said most everyone had something to toggle just in case of a bad day. I doubt any pro is full on cheat mode all the time, but there's bound to be some who toggle at least online.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Apr 20, 2016

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Well there were 2 "pro" players talking about how security is kind of bad recently https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nCv7PFL8Gw and one of those Australians was talking about how he could access the internet on the pc at the major qualifier and there was zero oversight of what he was doing. I forget the guy's name so I can't find that video.

Not much point discussing individual clips ever unless its comically obvious.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I watched that video and I know the pertinent points are about the lack of oversight at some LANs, but he kind of undermines himself when he starts talking about how hackers do amazing things in Mr Robot and that 10% of a CS Go professional's prize money would be a good incentive for anyone that skilled.

It just seems a little far-fetched that anyone involved in making sophisticated USB-based system attacks is spending their time making private CS cheats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
The only time I've ever seen a clip that so obviously falls outside the realm of normal play is that one of SKYTTEN vs Mouz where he just sprays the wall on Overpass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgu8vUrFZ1M

:confuoot:

Is there possibly a valid explanation for this? I can't give one. Even with cheats I don't get it.