Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Holy poo poo that patch looks promising.

Is... Is Anet learning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Harrow posted:

Is... Is Anet learning?

More likely, their president is paying attention again.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Harrow posted:

Is... Is Anet learning?

Anet lied, Colin died

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If they announce new dungeons this year I might well implode. Like, in a good way.

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

Harrow posted:

If they announce new dungeons this year I might well implode. Like, in a good way.

We'd almost certainly get new fractals rather than new dungeons.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That's fine too!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Can someone sum up the patch? I don't have time to read Anet's textbook.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

it's good man

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Does it make HoT good yes or no

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
More importantly it makes the entire game better

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Arenanet's new game director is that racist AI from Microsoft. Expect weird things next update.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
This patch looks really good. Like really good. They really needed to show that they're listening to feedback at large, and I feel this patch delivers.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
We forced arus to kill a squad sized dps dummy. Some say he is still there hitting it with his guardian shield.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

rumor on reddit says the aetherpath skins are now 100% drop

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Dungeons good again I heard? I want to do those to get gold and mats for the ascended gear I feel like working on.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lucifirius posted:

Dungeons good again I heard? I want to do those to get gold and mats for the ascended gear I feel like working on.

Dungeons haven't changed. The rewards have.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

CLAM DOWN posted:

Dungeons haven't changed. The rewards have.

Yeah that's what I mean.

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012
A sad story about Lions Arch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9YxfJZHPuU

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
There's now an infinitely repeatable achievement for completing any 8 unique dungeon paths (including story modes) that awards 5 gold and a box with 150 tokens from any dungeon of your choosing.

It lazily maths out to most explorable paths being back to their pre-nerf state, AC a little bit behind, but Arah still only half of what it used to be.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Those scribing changes look pretty nice, I'm gonna come back and finally get my Scribin' backpack. :3:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Just need a hair kit and the SAB dagger skins and I'll be golden.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Did human female get nerfed, or still best meta?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I see you all are enjoying the apology update.

Can't wait for everyone to start complaining about the lack of content in a week again.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
So who else had just been logging on every day for free stuff (because hey, why not) and was pleasantly surprised with the 80 boost + all the other nice things? :unsmith:

ApeHawk posted:

Can't wait for everyone to start complaining about the lack of content in a week again.

:haw:

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Lizard Wizard posted:

The changes from the spring update are really long but just in case you (or anyone else) wants a sort of summary of the more important changes I will give it the ol' tech school try:

PVE
  • Considerably higher experience gain from stuff in the heart of maguuma
  • Map rewards from heart of maguuma are now much more abundant and given out at better intervals
  • Rewards for killing map bosses are better and you can choose between several rewards, like map currencies and ascended crafting stuff
  • Adventures are open more often, give better experience, and are easier to get silver and gold in now
  • A lot of waypoints in the heart of maguuma have been made permanently uncontested so you can always use them
  • Scaling for a lot of events in the heart of maguuma has been better worked, and enemies have been reduced in a few places to make it easier to get around the map
  • Dragon Stand post-victory exploration time extended from 15 minutes to 25, and juvenile tigers and electric wyverns are now easier to find and get
  • PVE dailies changed up again and now there are dailies that take place in heart of thorns zones
  • Dungeons give more gold and now give 100 tokens per path instead of 60, and an infinitely repeatable achievement now gives you 5 gold and 150 tokens of your choice when you complete 8 different dungeon paths
  • Aetherblade weapons drop more often in their Twilight Arbor path
  • You can finish the legendary fractal backpack now
  • Fractal dailies redone in a way that makes you do more than just two swamps and a molten duo
  • Mistlock Instabilities changed to be less stupid and frustrating
  • Cliffside is now way different and goes by faster and is overall less of a slog to get through
  • Many other fractals got minor but good changes, like making it so you can crit and hit the siege weapons in urban battleground with conditions and making the boss at the end of underground facility take extra condition damage from being superheated
  • There's a new legendary shortbow that shoots tigers instead of unicorns
  • Anyone that owns Heart of Thorns will get a level 80 boost that will boost a character to level 80 instantly and allows for instant transportation to Silverwastes, but also allows a trial period so if you ended up not liking the character you got to 80 it isn't wasted and you can just undo it. There is a lot of info so if anyone is interested in how it works I will give a link to this official Arenanet video tutorial
  • Looking for group has had a big update that has more tabs and squad support
  • There is now a raid lobby so you don't have to loiter in Verdant Brink, plus it has bank access and trading post access and other amenities, as well as DPS meter training golems.
  • Scribing has been simplified and is now cheaper to level up

PVP
Spirit Watch
  • The first orb spawns after 2 minutes instead of 10 seconds, and after it is captured it takes 2 minutes to respawn instead of 10 seconds
  • The orb now gives 25 points for capture if you don't control the point, and 50 points if you do
  • You cannot use profession skills while carrying the orb
  • You cannot apply superspeed to orb carriers
Skyhammer
  • You can't knock people off the edge of the map and they got rid of the destructible ground panels
  • Number of jump pads has been reduced and they have been repositioned
  • the Skyhammer itself has been changed drastically, and instead of being available throughout the match it is only available at 3, 6, 9, and 12 minutes into the match
  • Instead of interacting with it and aiming it you just capture it through a special control point and it fires once at each of the other control points
  • The map was loving ruined and this is one of the only bad changes to the patch
Legacy of the Foefire
  • Lords are have a defiance bar and a bunch of knock backs and a downed state and are in general harder to kill so that lord rushing is generally less effective
Forest of Niflhel
  • Svanir and the Chieftain spawn after 1 minute instead of 10 seconds
Stronghold
  • Mist champions have 50% more health and damage the first time you summon them, 100% more the second time, and 150% more the third time. They also have a 20% movement speed bonus
Miscellaneous
  • Added Destroyer amulet (++power and precision, +ferocity and condition damage)
  • Added Demolisher amulet (++power and precision, +ferocity and toughness)
  • Added more spectator options

WVW
  • Starting next reset the top 12 servers will team up with the bottom 12 servers to try and even out populations
  • Matchmaking data will be wiped clean and a new pecking order will be determined
  • WVW now has reward tracks like pvp
  • For every 5 people in a squad the commander will be able to assign automatic participation to one person so they can go off and scout or defend and still get the same rewards as everyone else
  • There's a new ability line called Provisions Master that gives you access to a portable merchant to buy siege blueprints and traps and stuff from, autoloot in WVW, and get more badges from kills
  • Desert borderlands are still in but when Alpine are ready they'll replace them
  • You can only lose 1 stack of stability a second, and skills that have had an uncapped number of targets like static field and line of warding can now only stun/hold back 10 targets
  • Experience is no longer awarded in WVW and instead tomes of knowledge are in rank up chests
  • Cultural armor is available for gold and badges and holy cow it's a lot cheaper and you don't need to be the respective races to purchase it

Professions
There are a lot of changes and a lot of specific so I'm going to give even broader, vaguer strokes here. Changes I list here are incomplete as I'm only going over general ideas of what changed.
  • Combo fields now have colors on their aoe rings that indicate what sort of field they are
  • Stability stacks can only be removed once every .75 seconds instead of .05 (outside WVW)
  • Slow had its effectiveness reduced but due to a change in formula will better slow people who have quickness
Elementalist
  • A lot of scepter and dagger skills have had their cast speed, damage, and/or cooldowns improved
  • The old fireball animation is back! and a 17% damage increase to boot
Engineer
  • Several pistol skills do more damage, have better cooldowns, or apply more conditions for longer or some combination of those
  • Several elixir skills had their cooldowns reduced
  • Most gadgets have been improved, but slick shoes now only knocks down each target ONCE
  • Scrapper rapid regeneration moderately nerfed to make them less survivable
  • Shredder gyro does 600% more damage but lasts half as long
Guardian
  • Virtues have had their cooldowns reduced a bit
  • Ring and line of warding now only stop 10 targets
  • Most shouts have had their cooldown reduced, stability from stand your ground lasts 6 seconds instead of 5
  • True shot does less damage, but deflecting shot and symbol of energy and hunter's ward do more damage
  • Hunter's ward now only traps enemies hit by the final attack, the cooldown has been reduced but so has the time enemies are trapped
  • Test of Faith will now only hit 10 times as enemies try to cross it
Mesmer
  • Scepter attack chain is faster, and counter spell and confusing images do significantly more direct damage in an effort to make scepter a viable hybrid weapon
  • Many wells have had their cooldown reduced
Necromancer
  • Chill duration from reaper skills has been nerfed
  • Many wells have had their cooldown reduced
  • Focus skills have had their cooldown reduced
Ranger
  • At long last, sword no longer animation locks you and you can freely move while attacking!
  • Shortbow skills have improved damage and cooldowns and conditions
  • Axe ricochet now applies might longer, winter's bite applies bleeding, path of scars is now ground targeted, and whirling defense now does 100% more damage per strike and the active portion of the skill has had its speed increased by 50%
Revenant
  • Shiro's riposting shadows skill now only returns 25 endurance instead of 50
  • Precision strike has a longer cooldown and less range
  • Shackling wave from the duelist preparation now immobilizes longer and can be done even if you don't block with it, but blocking will extend the window to do shackling wave
  • Grasping shadow now applies 6 seconds of fury to you and 3 seconds of chill to the enemy
  • Project tranquility now only takes 5 energy
  • Ventari's will is now instant but the cooldown is increased to 4 seconds
  • Natural harmony heals better
Thief
  • Pistol auto attack has a much shorter aftercast and unload now applies 8 seconds of might for each of its 8 hits (if they connect)
  • Heart seeker and weakening charge now affected by quickness and slow
  • Larcenous strike and bountiful theft steal an additional boon
  • Withdraw now also removes torment, hide in shadows now also removes confusion
  • Skelk venom now heals much better
  • Lead attacks has now been redone and now gives a 1% damage and condition damage bonus for 15 seconds for every initiative spent, stacking up to 15 times
  • Consume plasma now gives resistance but no longer gives quickness, throw gunk is now ground targeted
Warrior
  • Longbow attacks now deal more damage and condition damage, smoldering arrow had its cooldown reduced
  • Gunflame no longer pierces and does 20% less damage
  • Balanced stance now applies swiftness and stability for 3 seconds every 3 seconds
  • Many physical skills have their cooldown reduced, stomp is ground targeted, bull's charge now knocks down for 3 seconds
  • Thick skin now works at a lower health threshold and gives more toughness
  • Quick breathing removes 2 conditions instead of 1
  • Adrenal health gives healing for 15 seconds after you use a burst skill based on how much adrenaline you spent

Obviously there is much more, but this should give a general idea of the changes and at the very least give people an idea of where to look if they want to look up specific changes.

check out my Youtube fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 20, 2016

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

What's the best thing to do as soon as you hit 80 as a Ranger? Ideally I'd like to eventually do raids and maybe some WvW.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
This patch is nuts, removing grind while increasing the rate of rare poo poo makes stuff so much easier. I really hope black diamond and linseed oil prices crash. I still need me some viper gear.

I made a great decision to come back to the game a few weeks before the patch. :toot:

ApeHawk posted:

Yeah, true. While this is step in the right direction, hell I'd call it a huge shift, this doesn't change the fact that HoT contained a non-satisfying amount of content. Consider both the large amount of work for this patch, and the fact that balancing all the gigantic changes will take up a decent portion of anet's time. It will probably be a while until we start seeing new content.

I for one am ok with this, considering just what the patch has brought. Looking at the immediate feedback, it appears anet has a very good reason to continue their development along this design path. Which is totally sweet.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Better for them to fix the underlying design issues (too much grind, takes too long to get to the fun, constant lockouts, stuff feels unrewarding) first with a patch like this then build new content on top of it, instead of the other way round.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Miftan posted:

What's the best thing to do as soon as you hit 80 as a Ranger? Ideally I'd like to eventually do raids and maybe some WvW.

Start working on gear and unlocking the druid spec. Check out metabattle.com for an idea of raid specs and what you might want for gear. Also try to have fun.

A ton of other content becomes available at 80 as well, so check out fractals and dungeons for your gold making needs.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

ItBurns posted:

A ton of other content becomes available at 80 as well, so check out fractals and dungeons for your gold making needs.

Also, the previous non-80 content you might have missed is still valid. Each zone has level caps, which allow over leveled characters participate in these areas without being super disruptive. Also receiving scaled rewards and exp, meaning that it isn't rewarding as well.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Sprite141 posted:

This patch is nuts, removing grind while increasing the rate of rare poo poo makes stuff so much easier. I really hope black diamond and linseed oil prices crash. I still need me some viper gear.

I made a great decision to come back to the game a few weeks before the patch. :toot:

Yeah, true. While this is step in the right direction, hell I'd call it a huge shift, this doesn't change the fact that HoT contained a non-satisfying amount of content. Consider both the large amount of work for this patch, and the fact that balancing all the gigantic changes will take up a decent portion of anet's time. It will probably be a while until we start seeing new content.

I for one am ok with this, considering just what the patch has brought. Looking at the immediate feedback, it appears anet has a very good reason to continue their development along this design path. Which is totally sweet.

I guess we'll start getting living story updates again soon so hopefully that'll bring some more content. It's really nice to see that Anet are recognising that they messed up with HoT and are trying to learn from the feedback and make it better. It's a very good sign.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

ItBurns posted:

Start working on gear and unlocking the druid spec. Check out metabattle.com for an idea of raid specs and what you might want for gear. Also try to have fun.

All druids do is heal in raids. I wasn't even aware I was playing a healer class!

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Kessel posted:

Better for them to fix the underlying design issues (too much grind, takes too long to get to the fun, constant lockouts, stuff feels unrewarding) first with a patch like this then build new content on top of it, instead of the other way round.

the thing that confuses me is how much liquid gold they're handing out, weird to see how they did a 180 on that too

Or those fuckers knowingly kept gold acquisition low to keep the grind high

the economist they have either knows exactly what he is doing, or is totally lost

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Miftan posted:

Obviously the best, most fun thing to do, would be to go around the world and tame all the pets.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Lyer posted:

the thing that confuses me is how much liquid gold they're handing out, weird to see how they did a 180 on that too

Or those fuckers knowingly kept gold acquisition low to keep the grind high

the economist they have either knows exactly what he is doing, or is totally lost

Yeah, prices are going to go out of whack pretty fast.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

They apparently don't think it's going to affect things very much, they decided they could increase the gold income of some like this and don't see a problem. I guess we'll see?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Kessel posted:

yeah, if they'd put out some more content and nothing else there would have been people wondering when a patch like this would come along. best to get it out of the way early.

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
The legendary shortbow quest thingy is bugged in two separate places, preventing progress.

Pain in the arse "wander all over the map via various jumping puzzles" too.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

malhavok posted:

Yeah, prices are going to go out of whack pretty fast.

Potions of Undead Slaying were nearly 3 silver each before Mike O. Brian's illegal War In Maguuma, now my locally owned artificer is out of business. All for MO's linseed oil profits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

CLAM DOWN posted:

They apparently don't think it's going to affect things very much, they decided they could increase the gold income of some like this and don't see a problem. I guess we'll see?

I dunno, I made like 70g in about 4 hours last night, just from doing teq, dailies, and dragging my new d/d ele through what HPs I could solo or team up with pubs on in VB and AB.

I happened to be in VB for night phase, and we only got to T2, but the rewards were ridiculous. Beating the wyvern matriarch got one of those selectable boxes, and one of the options was a reclaimed plate. I also got one of those lightward hammers from some event (looks like they massively upped the droprate on the HoT weapons given how they're cratering on the TP), so that was like 48g right there. And a random exotic with a force sigil later, maybe in Tarir (had a successful octovine)? And another reclaimed plate from something.

Basically the HoT zone rewards are loving ridiculous and you can get loads of them just loving around on the maps now. I'm guessing I got particularly lucky on drops, but even without that, it's still way, waaaaaay better.

• Locked thread