Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Hollismason posted:

The Second Level of Durlag's tower is both infuriating and endearing as it's a really cool puzzle ,but it's not to difficult to solve. All of Durlag's so far as been excellent.

To bad that doing Durlags makes the other parts of the game not fun or look bad.

Baldur's Gate was Bioware's second ever game (the first the long forgotten Shattered Steel, which wasn't an RPG), and it was also regarded as the "revival" of RPGs*.

There's a lot of things in Baldur's Gate which don't work brilliantly, because there wasn't a guide out there. Most notably, I'd say, the wilderness areas - the idea of "wander around and have adventures beside your main one" is one thing that low level RPGs tend to do a lot, but actually having to wander your character around maps, without knowing if there's anything there, when the game spent a long time encouraging you to stay on the road isn't great design in my opinion.

TotSC benefits from that experience, although bear in mind it is much easier to design a well flowing largely storyless dungeon than it is a whole game. They knock it up a notch with Watcher's Keep, too, in which each floor plays around a lot with different "kinds" of dungeon puzzle and as a whole it can be taken as something of a "dungeon design greatest hits".

*Side point: the game came out in 1998, 18 years ago. 18 years before BG1 was Pac Man, Zork and Missile Command!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah playing this and then playing Pillars it really is cool to see how Pillar's levels are designed. The room with the constantly exploding fireball is pretty great. Also, Durlag's Tower has a story which is kind of interesting. I'm pretty sure he did something to piss off dopplegangers and they killed his whole family which drove him insane.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I loaded an earlier saved game and apparently the problem with saved game editing breaking saves is gone now. What order should I do the various Athkatlathalaladingdong quests in? Last time I did the Umar Hills and Windspear Hills quests first (bad idea!). I'm doing the Shadow Thieves first to pick up Edwin but the rest I want to do in order of increasing difficulty.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Circus and freeing the Copper Coronet slaves seemed pretty easy.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Easy:
Circus
Graveyard quests and tomb raiding*
Bridge Murders
Pebble Crusher
Defeat Slavers/Licor
* Stick to the single room tombs and save before entering

Medium:
Thieves Guild
Tradesmeet
De'Arnise Keep

Harder:
Temple Ruins
Planar Prison
Planar Sphere
Unseeing Eye
Windspear Hill

Edit: shamelessly stolen from google. Also if you have someone that can wield azuredge and know how to easily steal the mace of disruption + that sun sword then all the stuff involving undead is made really easy, especially temple ruins.

Washout fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 20, 2016

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
The mace of disruption is in Bodhi's lair, chapter 3. Daystar is guarded by a lich but you can cheese it with azuredge which you can steal but really shouldn't because Bernard has a really high chance of catching you and it's dirt cheap anyway.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Baldur's Gate was Bioware's second ever game (the first the long forgotten Shattered Steel, which wasn't an RPG), and it was also regarded as the "revival" of RPGs*.

There's a lot of things in Baldur's Gate which don't work brilliantly, because there wasn't a guide out there. Most notably, I'd say, the wilderness areas - the idea of "wander around and have adventures beside your main one" is one thing that low level RPGs tend to do a lot, but actually having to wander your character around maps, without knowing if there's anything there, when the game spent a long time encouraging you to stay on the road isn't great design in my opinion.

TotSC benefits from that experience, although bear in mind it is much easier to design a well flowing largely storyless dungeon than it is a whole game. They knock it up a notch with Watcher's Keep, too, in which each floor plays around a lot with different "kinds" of dungeon puzzle and as a whole it can be taken as something of a "dungeon design greatest hits".

*Side point: the game came out in 1998, 18 years ago. 18 years before BG1 was Pac Man, Zork and Missile Command!

Dunno if it was a good idea or not, but I found myself endeared by the concept of fighting other heroes who all had these gimmicks, like "the fastest dart thrower in the west" or "all female party of adventurers out for bounties" or "noblemen out for a hunt deciding on a human quarry" were things I had never seen in a game before and I found were really fun and interesting challenges to overcome.

Heck, even a nerd with a stick standing on some stairs trying to kill you while you are just a babe was, while kind of unfair, a really memorable encounter. It's like the whole leaping loving wizards.

Hollismason posted:

How are you all killing Drizzt? Just letting the Gnolls kill him?

In BG:EE the whole summoning monsters deal tends to backfire really fast, because Drizzt will attack and turn hostile if you summon any gnolls by chance. So the easy way is to get a bow, a bunch of 80-quarry arrows (6 stacks might be enough) and four friends, Take your friends, place them around Drizzt, and watch him get stuck. While he is stuck, walk right up next to the party members in order as you dismiss them, one-by-one. This is important! You don't want them walking from their spot to talk to you about how they are leaving the party.

With that said and done, drink a potion of haste if you have any and start shooting. If he starts casting a spell, it's probably a dispel for the potion, so run around him to avoid it (if you can at least) and keep firing.

You'll only ever hit on a natural 20, so put the game in the background and just watch some stuff while the game runs in the background and be privy to the two best scimitars in the game and an okay chain shirt.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 20, 2016

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I made it through Chapter 4 in BG2:EE, and I took the long route by taking the boat and going through the City of Caverns. I love the conversation you have with the beholder who's guarding the chest. "Sixty years with only two imps and a mad fish-king for company. Is this Hell?"

Now that I've made into the Underdark. Is there anything I should do or know in particular?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Kill everything and everyone.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The silver dragon and maybe the Svirfneblin can live, but yes the time will eventually come to make your dad proud again.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Kavak posted:

The silver dragon and maybe the Svirfneblin can live, but yes the time will eventually come to make your dad proud again.

Def kill the silver dragon tho.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Washout posted:

Def kill the silver dragon tho.

She just wants her babies back :(

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Then she shouldn't have been a dragon. I mean, what did she expect? NOT to get killed by the murderhobo??

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Silver dragons are good dragons though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And she doesn't even have a hoard to be plundered. Lady just wants her babies back.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm starting to see what Mordaedil meant.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I guess you guys have never played the Valen mod heh

"oh it's just an evil NPC mod, what could poss:stonk:"

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Rape? Pedophilia? Bestiality?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Mordaedil posted:

Dunno if it was a good idea or not, but I found myself endeared by the concept of fighting other heroes who all had these gimmicks, like "the fastest dart thrower in the west" or "all female party of adventurers out for bounties" or "noblemen out for a hunt deciding on a human quarry" were things I had never seen in a game before and I found were really fun and interesting challenges to overcome.

Heck, even a nerd with a stick standing on some stairs trying to kill you while you are just a babe was, while kind of unfair, a really memorable encounter. It's like the whole leaping loving wizards.

All the individual encounters are, by themselves, interesting and add a lot of character to the low level world of BG1

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Holy poo poo why is the Planar Prison itself so much harder than rescuing Haer'Dalis? At least with Firkraag the difficulty was clear the moment I started it. I had to turn on Story Mode again just to get past the first Bounty Hunter fight, something I never touched even once in BG I or Dragonspear
:negative:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

All the individual encounters are, by themselves, interesting and add a lot of character to the low level world of BG1

It's kind of a setting I kinda miss seeing even in modern RPG's honestly. The low-level stuff in AD&D works surprisingly well regardless of your stats at start.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

RE: the wilderness: I got the game pretty much when it came out (in Finland), having played both Fallouts (or just 1? I can't remember the chronology), and 18 years ago BG 1 seemed inviting enough to rampage all through the countryside. I obviously can't remember what I did in the first games of it I played, but I think there's a fairly straightforward chain of investigating the road between Friendly Arm and Beregost, Beregost encourages you to go kill Bassilus, you find a +2 short sword for Imoen on the same map (and the poor chicken who guides you to a big shop of magic), and another map over you have the coast with the sirines and the Gift of Peace. By the time you're knocking about Cloudpeak mountains you've been given plenty of evidence that LOOT and EXPERIENCE is to be had just by de-fog-of-warring everything. The game isn't super railroaded, but I find this is a plus over BG 2 and its awkward "keep Imoen waiting for three months while I quest everything" thing.

Having just replayed BG1, there's less stuff than I seem to remember from way back when, but I think I've been spoiled by BG2 and other games.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Kavak posted:

Holy poo poo why is the Planar Prison itself so much harder than rescuing Haer'Dalis? At least with Firkraag the difficulty was clear the moment I started it. I had to turn on Story Mode again just to get past the first Bounty Hunter fight, something I never touched even once in BG I or Dragonspear
:negative:

How's your party looking at the moment?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

e X posted:

How's your party looking at the moment?

Cavalier, 11
Minsc, 11
Anomen, 11, close to 12
Jaheira, 9/12
Yoshimo, 13
Aerie, :911:, close to 10/11

I actually turned Core Rules back on and somehow did it legitimately! :D This is not an unfair game, I'm just not used to constant multi-caster fights and for RP reasons I won't rest more than absolutely necessary which is really gimping me.

Rappaport posted:

The game isn't super railroaded, but I find this is a plus over BG 2 and its awkward "keep Imoen waiting for three months while I quest everything" thing.

The other option is to let Suldanessellar burn for several months after killing Bodhi- it's not like they didn't have it coming.

Joking aside, I feel the same way- I like BG I's pace and especially tone a lot more.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
You can just not go to spellhold and just live in your giant orb I've found

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

What was Irenicus' plan going to become if you turned out to be a gigantic pussy and refused to come to him? Would he leave Spellhold to hunt you down eventually?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Why did he pick CHARNAME in the first place? The joke in TOB suggests he could've gotten a Bhaal-soul from a kobold/xvart/whatever tiny monster that wouldn't be as much of a pain in the rear end as CHARNAME.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Skwirl posted:

These look terrible to me, much worse than what they're based on.

eh, to me they fit better with the bg2 portraits for those bgt playthroughs and at least their faces aren't melting off like most bg2 style portraits i've seen.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Rappaport posted:

Why did he pick CHARNAME in the first place? The joke in TOB suggests he could've gotten a Bhaal-soul from a kobold/xvart/whatever tiny monster that wouldn't be as much of a pain in the rear end as CHARNAME.

They clearly had crap souls, he was after A Great Soul

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Rappaport posted:

You're supposed to be really powerful by Bhaalspawn standards, since you're the protagonist and all. What's the joke exactly?

Vikar Jerome posted:

eh, to me they fit better with the bg2 portraits for those bgt playthroughs and at least their faces aren't melting off like most bg2 style portraits i've seen.

I like Faldorn's :shobon:

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish
So are there any recommended UI mods for BG2 yet? I remember seeing some interesting screenshots here, but googling and looking at the Beamdog forums didn't really net any results. Is everyone working on SoD mods for now?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Kavak posted:

Rape? Pedophilia? Bestiality?

worse, she choses dialog for you and you have no choice but to be actually evil

i.e. the Silver Dragon and other things

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Washout posted:

Kill everything and everyone.

No don't do this, you miss the chance to participate in an elaborate double double cross that is one of the coolest moments in the game. Do everything Solaufein tells you to do, his path leads to the awesome meta-backstabbing.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Real Foogla posted:

worse, she choses dialog for you and you have no choice but to be actually evil

i.e. the Silver Dragon and other things

Well it was what you were going to do anyway, why would you ever disagree with me her?

Doesn't the Chloe mod do that as well?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Kavak posted:

You're supposed to be really powerful by Bhaalspawn standards, since you're the protagonist and all. What's the joke exactly?

Somewhere in TOB you run into literally a xvart, kobold and some third insignificant monster who all claim to be Bhaalspawn. I don't remember where this happens tho :(

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Given how hard to mod the infinity engine is, people still making their dumb Mary Sues mods is certainly dedication.

edit: ^ I think it's in the Wandering Mountains and iirc, it's a chinchilla.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Rappaport posted:

Somewhere in TOB you run into literally a xvart, kobold and some third insignificant monster who all claim to be Bhaalspawn. I don't remember where this happens tho :(

Bhaal was going for quantity, not quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kavak posted:

Doesn't the Chloe mod do that as well?

Nope, but she will leave the party with all her gear after the point of no return in Suldanessellar if she doesn't like you enough. And if Imoen's in the party, Chloe takes Imoen with her due to her magnetic demigoddess lesbian kensai personality.

Also her mother, a greater deity, pops in during Spellhold to upgrade her swords to ToB endgame quality.