Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Luceid posted:

Lothric knights are no fuckin' joke, there is like negative shame in dying to them. If they serve any one purpose it's to remind you that most swords allow you to hold L2 and press R1 to make their shields go away for a moment so you can cream them

Yes, also this. If you can't backstab them, you can guard-break them and stab 'em in the gut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Huh, that's weird. A long-rear end time ago, did you get invaded by Yellowfinger Heysel in the Road of Sacrifices? According to the wiki, he drops it if you kill him and then the slug guy doesn't show up.

This can't be right. They both showed up for me and I ended up with two Xanthous Crowns

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
The best moment is getting parried by a headless skeleton

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Do npc invaders disappear if you kill the boss of a zone? Think I missed a gesture before Wolnir.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Harrow posted:

Lothric Knights are really tough, easily the toughest "first-area knight" enemies in the series. They're fast, aggressive, and seem to know exactly when to pivot and shield-bash you.

My advice would be not to try to use your shield exclusively on them. Try to dodge to their side while they're swinging and then hit them in the back with your sword. (Backstabs are ideal.) If you're feeling really patient and really brave, you can try to learn how to parry them. If you've gotten past the dragon area in the High Wall, there's a bonfire with a Lothric Knight really close to it. You can spend all your souls (in case he kills you) and then use him as parry practice until you get the timing down and then never fear Lothric Knights again.

Just so you know where you stand, I've played and finished every game in the series multiple times and the Lothric Knights still owned the poo poo out of me when I started this. You're probably doing pretty well!

Yeah I got to the second boss four legged thing a few times. Got there with my Cleric too, but as I said it was like 6-8 hours of playing and struggling hard. Got back to it pretty quick with the knight and doing many of the same things like freeing that dude in the cell.

There's so many things I feel like I'm cheesing like the room with the key had 1 pikeman 2 axes and 2 dogs and I kited them towards me with bombs so I could actually mange them. Basically fight everyone one at a time if I can. Not that big fatty pikeman he's a big meanie. :mad:

If anything, I think my problem may be dodging too much or maybe being to quick on it. On top of that, I am really bad at figuring out when they're doing the slash-slash or slash-slash-stab. I also really hate how they have this move which knocks your shield away and then they just bash you to death before you regain control.

Also made the mistake of trying to sneak up on the blue one, failed to backstab properly and got owned.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The silver knight just taking five and staring at a picture of Gwynevere is my favorite character in Dark Souls.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

RBA Starblade posted:

The silver knight just taking five and staring at a picture of Gwynevere is my favorite character in Dark Souls.

I legit laughed at catching him peeping at that painting.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Malcolm XML posted:

The best moment is getting parried by a headless skeleton

i have honestly been parried more by those than anything else in the game so far

mainly coincidence but they do seem inordinately good at it. if From made the headless ones better at parrying on purpose, well, that's just so :darksouls:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

My advice as a total newbie to the series who had a lot of trouble with lothric Knights. Farm up a bunch of souls by taking a few laps around the area and using the dragon a few times. Then go level up your poo poo a bit. After I put just a few levels into strength and upgraded a broadsword to +2 I could stun lock the Knights and they died easy.

Which is my main late game dilemma too. Greatswords (the Astor) and the pontiff ultra greatsword are amazing weapons but really for the vast majority of enemies they cannot compare to how fast the swing is of the broadsword. I have a +6 heavy broadsword and a +6 dark sword and even then it's still stupid easy to stun lock almost any enemy in the game with the broadsword.

poo poo, early in the game I took it to the crystal sage and beat her before she could even complete summoning her phantoms because it just totally locked her up.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
If I may though I find it really hard to get used to potion drinking. I've admittedly not played a lot of games like this, but when I have drink potion is instant. Not this, take out of bag, inspect safety seal, take out measuring cup and make sure you get the correct dosage, slowly raise to lips and sip like a 30 year Scotch.

Oops the enemy has closed and stun locked you in the time it took you to do that.

Malcolm XML posted:

Wait til you see their red eye version

The blue knight that repeatedly owned me outside the church had glowing eyes. Is that what you're talking about? Because he was like "lol shield? whatever you take 100% damage anyway"

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

JetsGuy posted:

If I may though I find it really hard to get used to potion drinking. I've admittedly not played a lot of games like this, but when I have drink potion is instant. Not this, take out of bag, inspect safety seal, take out measuring cup and make sure you get the correct dosage, slowly raise to lips and sip like a 30 year Scotch.

Oops the enemy has closed and stun locked you in the time it took you to do that.

That's kinda the point. You gotta learn when to best use them. This game would be pretty easy if you could instantly heal with no repercussions for doing so.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

SuicideSnowman posted:

That's kinda the point. You gotta learn when to best use them. This game would be pretty easy if you could instantly heal with no repercussions for doing so.

Oh I get it, it's just super hard to get used to after playing way too much Witcher3.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

The blue knight that repeatedly owned me outside the church had glowing eyes. Is that what you're talking about? Because he was like "lol shield? whatever you take 100% damage anyway"

There's red knights, blue knights with red eyes, red knights with red eyes, and then blue knights with red eyes but way stronger.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The best :darksouls: moment for me so far was in the irithyl dungeon in the sewage canal full of rats near the chained up big thing. You may remember it because there's two chests in the back, one which is a mimic. I beat that weird rear end mimic, open the next chest, think gently caress yes, and suddenly about a hundred gas burping frogs pour out of the wall behind me and I'm immediately cornered and blasted to death with gas.

I mean, come on, the developers totally planned that just to be funny.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do you get that "Hey!" Emote?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

How do you get that "Hey!" Emote?

Trade a Homeward Bone with the crow.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Then theres the blue eyed red knights in gray armor with red dots on it and....

Why do people find knights hard? Walk up to their face, bait out the thrust/overhead and then backstab them. Then do it again if your weapon is sucks and it takes more than 1 hit to kill them.

:gitgud:

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

SuicideSnowman posted:

This also might be the best flask yet. The amount of charges, amount they heal, and the speed it heals is crazy.

It could definitely stand to be toned down for PvP, especially since I can't buy Lloyd's talismans yet and I've beat a ton of bosses.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

JetsGuy posted:

Oh I get it, it's just super hard to get used to after playing way too much Witcher3.

you prob realized this already but you can buffer it slightly. like roll twice, hit your estus button near the end of the second roll, and your guy will estus immediately on popping up from the roll. this will help you squeeze in heals in sticky situations

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Doing some morning co-op and uh

yeah, people still suck eggs at fighting the tree

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

TheQat posted:

i have honestly been parried more by those than anything else in the game so far

mainly coincidence but they do seem inordinately good at it. if From made the headless ones better at parrying on purpose, well, that's just so :darksouls:

They have a parry stance that's hard to notice when there's like 5

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Man this Bloodborne alligator guarding irithyl can go gently caress itself

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Alan Smithee posted:

you'll have to fight it (or avoid it again) later but you can just run to the end of the bridge. he can't pass through the forcefield

Nymix
Mar 3, 2013

Luceid posted:

Lothric knights are no fuckin' joke, there is like negative shame in dying to them. If they serve any one purpose it's to remind you that most swords allow you to hold L2 and press R1 to make their shields go away for a moment so you can cream them

DS3 is my first DS game, played it for the first time this morning, I'm glad other people find them tough. As someone who usually plays nice 'n' easy RPGs, Lothric Knights are the loving antichrist to me :fuckoff:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alabaster White posted:

Trade a Homeward Bone with the crow.

Thanks.

KillGizmo
Jul 11, 2001

Run you little bastard! Run!
I just beat the game with a mainly DEX build and right away started a Sorcerer. I'm having such a horrible drat time. I can't get past the third boss.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

The biggest problem with dark souls is that the difficulty in the early game is way more than the late since you can get super owned by a lothric knight on the high wall but the equivalent enemy 3/4 the way in you can tank by chugging your 14 estus flasks

Same with bosses

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Try bleeding it it has a very low resistance

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Malcolm XML posted:

you can tank by chugging your 14 estus flasks

Same with bosses

Oh boy, just wait for Nameless King.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

KillGizmo posted:

I just beat the game with a mainly DEX build and right away started a Sorcerer. I'm having such a horrible drat time. I can't get past the third boss.

Sorcerer is a super-slow start and doesn't really pick up until you get 60 Intelligence. It's pretty strong once you do but it's a long road to get there.

Are you using a raw weapon at least?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

So did anyone figure out what dunking your head in wax does? I tried using fire, getting hit by fire, etc. to see if I could light it like a candle but nothing happened.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Nymix posted:

DS3 is my first DS game, played it for the first time this morning, I'm glad other people find them tough. As someone who usually plays nice 'n' easy RPGs, Lothric Knights are the loving antichrist to me :fuckoff:

It's worth noting that DS3 is easily the most punishing of Dark Souls 1, 2, and 3, and even people who have put a hundred hours into previous titles die to those knights. Dark Souls 1 is pretty easy and slow in comparison.

I've found the easiest way to kill lothric knights early on is with any straight sword with the stance weapon art. A guard break into a riposte followed by a wakeup attack should kill them even with an underpowered weapon.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alan Smithee posted:

He was crushing me hard until I had a ptsd flashback to getting owned relentlessly by the cursed chalice watchdog of the old lords and slaughtered my prey.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

The best :darksouls: moment for me so far was in the irithyl dungeon in the sewage canal full of rats near the chained up big thing. You may remember it because there's two chests in the back, one which is a mimic. I beat that weird rear end mimic, open the next chest, think gently caress yes, and suddenly about a hundred gas burping frogs pour out of the wall behind me and I'm immediately cornered and blasted to death with gas.

I mean, come on, the developers totally planned that just to be funny.

I had a moment kind of like this. I had some issues defeating those 3 large Hollow Soldiers and the dog but had a good run and finally managed to kill them while I'm down to 10% health. I finally take a moment to regain my composure and check my inventory to see if there's anything I can equip or change. In the process I am quietly gunned down by a firebomb from a hollow up a floor. So pissed.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Nymix posted:

As someone who played both the previous Dark Souls, Lothric Knights are way harder than anything else in the area, and way harder than just about anything the other games threw at you in the starting areas. Even the one giant knight halberd knight you meet later is easy compared to them because he's slow (and also alone), and you can either burn the guys with parasites in them or run past. I legit had to get three further zones to Farron's Keep to find harder enemies (the fat fucks at the entrance, and both the Dickwraiths and Black Knights from Darks Souls the first that have spent the years in the gym) and even then they were generally placed alone/in a way that signified they were kinda special. Where-as the Lothric Knights don't look all that special, sure they're bigger than the other hollows but the way they're presented you first think "Oh, this guy will be a bit tougher but will totally go down in 5-6 sword swipes instead of 2-3".

As a side note, use a sword. Find a straight sword you like (short sword, long sword, broad sword, the Lothric Knight Sword they can drop) with the Stance unique and just start chumping them with the L2-R1 attack. It stuns enemies using shields and knocks them out of the way.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

So did anyone figure out what dunking your head in wax does? I tried using fire, getting hit by fire, etc. to see if I could light it like a candle but nothing happened.

Those arms that pop out of the books won't hurt you.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Digital_Jesus posted:

Then theres the blue eyed red knights in gray armor with red dots on it and....

Why do people find knights hard? Walk up to their face, bait out the thrust/overhead and then backstab them. Then do it again if your weapon is sucks and it takes more than 1 hit to kill them.

:gitgud:

Can't speak for anyone else but if I go behind them they smack me with their shield, and if I try to kick their shield away they impale me. :v:

They're fuckers. I find the Silver Knights more consistent.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

david crosby posted:

Those arms that pop out of the books won't hurt you.

no loving

oh my god so that's why

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Platinum/collectathon:

For those wondering, you can get all 3 endings on one save like BB using USB save backups. However if you're chasing Platinum you might as well just get 2 and get the other one on the NG+ complete - easiest would be the simple ending not requiring Eyes from Untended Graves or any of the stuff with the wedding.

You can also do this to some extent after beating the final boss (i.e. making backup save then), although I think you need to initiate the Anri stuff before then so if you do all 3 post-final boss you'll end up needing to do all her stuff before the boss, getting that one, and curing the Dark Sigils for a pretty penny (like 500k souls). Tradeoff is not beating the final boss 3 times, but he's pretty fun.

Also, if you're going for all rings, I'd recommend beating NG+ as fast as possible and not worrying about them. All the +1 rings will still be there in NG++ (along with +2) so you don't need to scour the entire game a third time. (potentially you could even save the regular rings for NG++ if you wanted, but who doesn't explore everything the first time?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf3Wj_d-aOE