Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

ShadeofBlue posted:

Huh. I actually thought they always used round tables for the PT drafts to begin with. Not sure why I thought that.

The featured drafts always have round tables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

They already had to open, log, and stamp them, so it's not that much worse.

I meant clunky in the sense that they had to pull an ad hoc solution three days before the PT, for an issue they really should have been aware of since the first DFC set, and the said solution is pretty narrowly applicable outside the professional REL zone where you're stamping the cards anyway in most cases I guess.

I absolutely do not mind visible DFC cards during paper drafts at the level where I actually play, I just wish MTR had less ambiguous procedure for handling them during draft, as it really should have had since original Innistrad. More or less my only small peeve with DFCs in limited.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

holy gently caress lmao this is amazing

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/722751053079384064

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

TheKingofSprings posted:

He's right about the second one

E: Jitte actually goes a long way to nailing down the trinity of combo aggro that exists in Modern right now and most other decks don't care (Thopter, Tron), have answers to it (Jund, Grixis), or get stronger for having it around (creature decks, particularly Thalia decks).

Also it'd be really cool to have at least one good equipment in Modern that wasn't hugely combo dependent

God gently caress no. Jitte is an awful card. It shouldn't even be allowed in legacy, but for some reason it is.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Errant Gin Monks posted:

God gently caress no. Jitte is an awful card. It shouldn't even be allowed in legacy, but for some reason it is.
Yeah all those decks running Jitte are really pushing everything else out of Legacy.

I don't think it's necessarily un-bannable in Modern, but it's not even close to a problem in Legacy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This is true. Jitte promotes lovely game play but then again so does alot of nonsense that makes up Legacy...

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Jitte is 100% unbannable in modern and saying otherwise makes it clear you've never played with the card outside of cube.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Why would you want to unban a card that's just always miserable to play against? Yeah there are answers to it, but it's miserable.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

born on a buy you posted:

Jitte is 100% unbannable in modern and saying otherwise makes it clear you've never played with the card outside of cube.

dies to artifact removal

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Is it cool to ask about lore/story aspects of the game in this thread, or is there another thread for that?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Who What Now posted:

Is it cool to ask about lore/story aspects of the game in this thread, or is there another thread for that?

There are regular lore discussions every couple of pages, ask away.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Tom Ross has posted the quota of one good article a month on SCG today. Here is what he would play at the pro tour.

Creatures (32)

3 Anointer of Champions
2 Consul's Lieutenant
4 Dragon Hunter
4 Expedition Envoy
4 Knight of the White Orchid
4 Thalia's Lieutenant
4 Thraben Inspector
4 Town Gossipmonger
3 Kytheon, Hero of Akros
Lands (18)

18 Plains
Spells (10)

4 Always Watching
2 Gryff's Boon
4 Declaration in Stone
Sideboard

2 Bygone Bishop
3 Hanweir Militia Captain
2 Gryff's Boon
3 Silkwrap
3 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
2 Westvale Abbey

Bant Company

Bant Company has been everywhere on the SCG Tour™ since Jim Davis won #SCGBALT. It accounted for nineteen of the 32 decks in the Top 32 of the Open and has a lot of power behind it in both card advantage and individual card strength. Your plan is to run them over before the get an engine going. Their mana is super-smooth and need to keep a hand with a two-drop to compete. Boss Humans is built to attack into Sylvan Advocate, so this is rarely an issue. Their big trump is getting you mid-combat with a Collected Company, which the deck is set up to plow through with Anointer of Champions. After sideboarding, you want to load up on enchantments to overload their Dromoka's Commands, which is the best card in their deck against you. Even though Declaration in Stone is pretty good against them, you need to take out some number of noncreature spells for this plan and diversify your threats against possible Declaration in Stone from their side.

Big White

g/r eldrazi

u/r control or any control

mono white humans that arent toms list

[b]u/w humans/b]

Mono-White Humans is the best deck. Mono-White Humans will Win The Pro Tour. It's fast, consistent, and merciless. Whatever you do, please don't play Bant Company. It gets crushed by G/R Eldrazi and Mono-White Humans. It's nearly incapable of winning the mirror in 50 minutes. Bant Company is a good deck in a wide-open field, but not now. Not when we have a real metagame. Play Boss Humans. You won't regret it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Mono-White Humans is the best deck. Mono-White Humans will Win The Pro Tour. It's fast, consistent, and merciless. Whatever you do, please don't play Bant Company. It gets crushed by G/R Eldrazi and Mono-White Humans. It's nearly incapable of winning the mirror in 50 minutes. Bant Company is a good deck in a wide-open field, but not now. Not when we have a real metagame. Play Boss Humans. You won't regret it.

He's right. This deck is sweet and good.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

He's right. This deck is sweet and good.

There are just a few certainties in magic that I have grown accustomed to.

1: You should listen to Tom Ross when he has a decklist for an aggressive deck. You will also not play the deck as well as Tom Ross but it will still be good.

2: Efro will bitch about not have advantages every few months. He will continue to be a piece of poo poo.

3: LSV and Mishra's photoshop will continue to be the only magic twitter accounts worth reading.

4: Standard will be expensive.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Sickening posted:

Play Boss Humans. You won't regret it.

But humans are lame

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Sickening posted:

3: LSV and Mishra's photoshop will continue to be the only magic twitter accounts worth reading.

Someone forgot RoboRosewater exists

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I said that I thought the RoboRosewater account was making up cards and putting them in early on, didn't tag him, and he name searched and started arguing with me about it. So he's actually not good, no.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Injuryprone posted:

But humans are lame

You are a Human, so this is correct.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ScarletBrother posted:

There are regular lore discussions every couple of pages, ask away.

Aight, cool. Me and some buddies were talking about our heydays of playing M:tG back in the day and it made me curious about the in-universe justifications for the game being played between two people. I know that each player is meant to be a Planeswalker, which is basically a super-wizard and your deck represents your planeswalker's repertoire of spells, places of power they can draw energy from from across the planes, allies and supernatural beings bound to them that they can call upon, ect. And I know that a Planeswalker has a "spark" or something that usually gets awoken by something traumatic in their lives.

But I'm curious if any of that is ever explained in further detail. Like how does a Planeswalker walk the planes? Do they just kind of effortlessly teleport at will across planes, or is it an endeavor to do so? What does it mean to tap mana? Is the Planeswalker physically going to five different mountains in order to gather the magical power to throw a fireball at his opponent? When I summon a storm giant and attack my opponent is he actually getting cold-cocked in the face by said giant?

Basically, I know the cards and game are all an abstraction, but just how abstract is it?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Wizards try to kill each other in magical duels all the time.

It is the single most realistic aspect of this game.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
hey Goons, how does your LGS do trade-ins for cash or store credit? Do they maintain their own buylist or base prices off TCGplayer/CFB/Cardkingdom/SCG etc?

My LGS has only recently starting buying singles etc. and I feel like he's offering too little, and the owner's response so far has been "That's what other LGS offer so that's what i'm doing" which isn't really a good argument.

The owner generally tries to be a lot more generous with pretty much every other aspect of the store but on this one thing he doesn't seem to want to budge and I could use some anecdotal evidence and/or hard data to help convince him.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Speaking of #lorechat, Jace tried to kill liliana today

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Who What Now posted:

Aight, cool. Me and some buddies were talking about our heydays of playing M:tG back in the day and it made me curious about the in-universe justifications for the game being played between two people. I know that each player is meant to be a Planeswalker, which is basically a super-wizard and your deck represents your planeswalker's repertoire of spells, places of power they can draw energy from from across the planes, allies and supernatural beings bound to them that they can call upon, ect. And I know that a Planeswalker has a "spark" or something that usually gets awoken by something traumatic in their lives.

But I'm curious if any of that is ever explained in further detail. Like how does a Planeswalker walk the planes? Do they just kind of effortlessly teleport at will across planes, or is it an endeavor to do so? What does it mean to tap mana? Is the Planeswalker physically going to five different mountains in order to gather the magical power to throw a fireball at his opponent? When I summon a storm giant and attack my opponent is he actually getting cold-cocked in the face by said giant?

Basically, I know the cards and game are all an abstraction, but just how abstract is it?

There is an old novel called Arena that goes into detail about a regular mage/mana user amassing enough mana and finding the right spell to basically planeswalk. It is a cheesy fantasy novel that is written for teens and socially awkward folks, but is decent non the less. Keep in mind that the events of Time Spiral block powered down Planeswalkers, Arena is a pre-nerf story about godlike walkers. Its fun if you played magic during the early year,s its got lots of ABU Revised 4th spells in it Juggernaughts smashing wall of wood etc.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Pyronic posted:

hey Goons, how does your LGS do trade-ins for cash or store credit? Do they maintain their own buylist or base prices off TCGplayer/CFB/Cardkingdom/SCG etc?

My LGS has only recently starting buying singles etc. and I feel like he's offering too little, and the owner's response so far has been "That's what other LGS offer so that's what i'm doing" which isn't really a good argument.

The owner generally tries to be a lot more generous with pretty much every other aspect of the store but on this one thing he doesn't seem to want to budge and I could use some anecdotal evidence and/or hard data to help convince him.

An item's cash value is precisely what someone will pay you for it. No more, no less. If you don't like his buylist, sell your cards elsewhere. Or consider selling it to him as a "lazy tax" for not making an effort to shop around for a better return. I say this as someone who is extremely lazy and pays "lazy taxes" all the time.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Pyronic posted:

The LGS that I go to does a booming singles business. For non-bulk stuff, they pay 60% of tcg mid in store credit. Not sure about cash or bulk prices as I never deal with those. They regularly ship 15-20 orders a day from tcg player on top of the in store pick up orders from locals, so they're doing something right.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Pyronic posted:

I would compare the buyprice against quiet speculations trader tools best buylist price and see how far off they are. They shouldn't match 1:1 but I would negotiate that they meet 70%-90% of that price (cash, credit gives 20% or whatever bonus) assuming they want the card.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Wizards try to kill each other in magical duels all the time.

It is the single most realistic aspect of this game.

Yeah, I'm just wondering about the specifics of it.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

CountFosco posted:

An item's cash value is precisely what someone will pay you for it. No more, no less. If you don't like his buylist, sell your cards elsewhere. Or consider selling it to him as a "lazy tax" for not making an effort to shop around for a better return. I say this as someone who is extremely lazy and pays "lazy taxes" all the time.

you misunderstand, I'm not a customer I help run the place and i dont really want to rip kids off.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Pyronic posted:

you misunderstand, I'm not a customer I help run the place and i dont really want to rip kids off.

it depends on what it is. Like a lot of buylists will buy really in demand staples at higher percentages than other stuff. Also at a certain price you just categorize stuff as bulk. You might offer 50% on a Thalia's Lieutenant and 70% or even 75% on a Liliana of the Veil.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 20, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I loving loved Arena when I was a kid. Garth One-Eye mother fuckers!!! Also the card you got for it was dope.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
How it humans so good? I have never lost to it as Mono-R Eldrazi, I can wipe the board with Chandra and inflict more damage in a 4-5 turn period consistently every time.

Are people not Languishing or Planar Outbursting and whatever that blue mass bounce spell is vs. this deck? I don't see how humans is so promising

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

80s James Hetfield posted:

How it humans so good? I have never lost to it as Mono-R Eldrazi, I can wipe the board with Chandra and inflict more damage in a 4-5 turn period consistently every time.

Are people not Languishing or Planar Outbursting and whatever that blue mass bounce spell is vs. this deck? I don't see how humans is so promising

A 6 mana sweeper isn't what that deck is afraid of. Also, I would assume that the chances of playing against mono-red eldrazi is pretty low at the pro-tour or any other competitive event because the deck isn't very good.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I will repeat this as many times as I can: I miss supreme verdict.

Also wrath of god, but supreme verdict is the best

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

rabidsquid posted:

I loving loved Arena when I was a kid. Garth One-Eye mother fuckers!!! Also the card you got for it was dope.

I know its really obscure but there has to be some place they can throw in a One-Eye planeswalker. Oor-Tael 4lyfe!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I assume someone will bring a decent Languish build to the PT and sweep white aggro back into the trash.

e: it is cool how much of the maindeck is sub-rare, though.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 20, 2016

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

People aren't Languishing because that card is v. bad against Collected Company which was an absurd amount the SCG meta

Always Watching and so many of your creatures being 1 drops means if you're good, like Tom Ross is, you can play exactly enough creatures to force the Languish or Planar Outburst and then drop 7-10 power back on the table the next turn

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

A 6 mana sweeper isn't what that deck is afraid of. Also, I would assume that the chances of playing against mono-red eldrazi is pretty low at the pro-tour or any other competitive event because the deck isn't very good.

What's your definition of very good? It's fast, can hit hard.

Granted local FNM's of 40+ aren't the Pro Tour but I go 3-1 or 4-1 every week and that's against people playing Bant Company and Humans etc etc.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Would a 3WW 4/4 Flash, flying, vigilance with no other text be standard playable today?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

wish it were true XOR useful instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

UberJew posted:

People aren't Languishing because that card is v. bad against Collected Company which was an absurd amount the SCG meta

Always Watching and so many of your creatures being 1 drops means if you're good, like Tom Ross is, you can play exactly enough creatures to force the Languish or Planar Outburst and then drop 7-10 power back on the table the next turn

Languish is not bad vs bant. Its just not as busted as it against the other midrange/aggro decks.

• Locked thread