Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

A nice sharp Shotel and a lot of stamina and dex still does wonders in pvp. Shields engender passivity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Man this Bloodborne alligator guarding irithyl can go gently caress itself

The Watchdogs have one horrible weakness, and that's punching them in the snout to establish dominance. Three or four good whacks on the nose will open them up for a riposte, which then knocks them flat on their back for nearly thirty seconds (they'll still try to "attack" you by feebly flailing about but the damage is negligible compared to everything else they do). They know this, obviously, and do everything that they can to keep their weak spot away from your sword, but it's a good thing to aim for.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I accidentally walked into Irithyll after killing Wolnir, still with my dried fingers on. :supaburn:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

According to the pyf little things thread emoting in front of the fire keeper gets you some reactions from her. I'll have to shout at her later. :haw:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Wait, there's a way to change my stance? What?

PS4 if it matters.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Only on weapons that have that as their weapon art. Ex. burger king greatsword gets two new attacks with L2+R1 or L2+R2

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sleekly posted:

A nice sharp Shotel and a lot of stamina and dex still does wonders in pvp. Shields engender passivity.

Equip the Knight Slayer's Ring you get from Tsorig in the Catacombs and poo poo on shield-turtlers even more because your attacks will take more Stamina to block.

JetsGuy posted:

Wait, there's a way to change my stance? What?

PS4 if it matters.

Some weapons have a stance weapon skill, like the Longsword. If you're holding it in two hands (hit Triangle), hold down L2 and you'll take a special stance. Then, pressing R1 and R2 gives you different attacks that cost some FP to use.

Most straight swords (Longsword-like weapons) have that Stance ability, and some greatswords do, too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also after much tribulation I regained the Black Knight Sword.

Honey where have you been all this time, I missed you.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is anyone playing with the Nameless King's sword spear weapon? I have my eyes on it as an "end game" goal, but I'm curious if it's as deadly in the player's hands as it is in his.

Jesus christ, the bit where they stand up behind him. :laffo:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

Equip the Knight Slayer's Ring you get from Tsorig in the Catacombs and poo poo on shield-turtlers even more because your attacks will take more Stamina to block.

I hate that there's so much unique stuff from npc invaders, mostly because I keep not being embered and missing it. :(

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Well, I see now what people were talking about with Yhorm. It'd probably have been a fun fight if he didn't have entirely too much hp to not just use the built in solution that's incredibly annoying to actually use.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I hate that there's so much unique stuff from npc invaders, mostly because I keep not being embered and missing it. :(

He's not an invader

He's just there chilling by himself

E: oh though technically Harrow was wrong - he's not in the Catacombs, he's in the deepest part of the ruins in Smouldering Lake.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Regy Rusty posted:

He's not an invader

Oh nice, time to turn around then.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

poptart_fairy posted:

Is anyone playing with the Nameless King's sword spear weapon? I have my eyes on it as an "end game" goal, but I'm curious if it's as deadly in the player's hands as it is in his.

Pretty much all of this guy's videos are golden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFH4y1UNhIw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtuBuDTTUJw

He's also the reason that everyone is PvPing with an Estoc now so thank/hate him for that

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

He's not an invader

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh nice, time to turn around then.

He's an invader in the Catacombs, but he's physically in Smouldering Lake, so you can fight him twice. Not sure if he drops the ring in Smouldering Lake if you didn't fight him as an invader.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

He's an invader in the Catacombs, but he's physically in Smouldering Lake, so you can fight him twice. Not sure if he drops the ring in Smouldering Lake if you didn't fight him as an invader.

He does! I didn't even realize he invades in the Catacombs as well.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

It's good. 1handed moveset is that of a spear but with halberd sweeping r2s. 2handed moveste is that of the more horizontal halberds but with spear poking r2s. You can shieldpoke with the r1s, unlike other halberds. And the skill is very good. Quite damaging, buffs the weapon, and can be used from moderately far away. Good in PVP for punishing people as they run away to heal, especially if they're not used to dodging it.

Harrow posted:

You can also summon him as a white. Makes me wonder if you summon him if he'll still be physically there in the level and you can have Tsorig vs. Tsorig.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Speaking of turning around, did everyone else find the fun guys in Farron Keep?

:rip: :(

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Genocyber posted:

You can also summon him as a white. Makes me wonder if you summon him if he'll still be physically there in the level and you can have Tsorig vs. Tsorig.
Not mine, but: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imzVlY7hWr8

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Is it just me or does every weapon have the same startup frames when you do the rolling attack? I'm being matched by greatswords no matter what weapon I'm using, from cestus to daggers to rapiers. I thought a good way to punish rollers would be to read the rolls and get a slap ready for when they finish their animation but we trade every single time, and when you trade with a greatsword you don't get the best deal.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

He does! I didn't even realize he invades in the Catacombs as well.

Oh, cool, it's good that you can't really miss it then, because it's a neat ring.

Genocyber posted:

Where's his summon sign? I wanna try that next time I play through.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

how are there four hosts of embers in that game

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Speaking of turning around, did everyone else find the fun guys in Farron Keep?

:rip: :(

R.I.P. Mushroom Daddies, may your knuckles be coated with the blood of hapless angels.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

TheQat posted:

how are there four hosts of embers in that game

There's a ring that makes you look like you're the host.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Genocyber posted:

It's good. 1handed moveset is that of a spear but with halberd sweeping r2s. 2handed moveste is that of the more horizontal halberds but with spear poking r2s. You can shieldpoke with the r1s, unlike other halberds. And the skill is very good. Quite damaging, buffs the weapon, and can be used from moderately far away. Good in PVP for punishing people as they run away to heal, especially if they're not used to dodging it.

Awesome. Time to start taking more cracks at the guy then. Need to play through the game three times for all trophies on one character anyway... :gonk:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Robo Reagan posted:

He's also the reason that everyone is PvPing with an Estoc now so thank/hate him for that

My friend independently chose estoc for our co-op run tyvm.
I usually just stand there looking on while he destroys every single invader on the planet with nothing but r1 mashing, which gives me time to think about mistakes I've made in my life.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Spanish Manlove posted:

There's a ring that makes you look like you're the host.

awesome, thanks. saw it last night too in my game, actually, but forgot about it until i saw that video

yort
Sep 25, 2015

What are your favorite low level pvp builds so far?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

My favorite PvP build is the one where I wait until the invader is about to land their first hit then Alt-F4 the game just to annoy them.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

my favorite low level PvP build is the one where I stand on a ledge staring at a group of the host, a white phantom, a gold phantom, and a blue phantom holding their shields up at the bonfire for 10 minutes while I do emotes and try to poke at them before black crystaling out.

So you know, just the same thing everyone's running, really.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Babe Magnet posted:

my favorite low level PvP build is the one where I stand on a ledge staring at a group of the host, a white phantom, a gold phantom, and a blue phantom holding their shields up at the bonfire for 10 minutes while I do emotes and try to poke at them before black crystaling out.

So you know, just the same thing everyone's running, really.

The secret to PvP is go Mound Maker with the white ring and watch the world burn

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I need to start wearing that ring. I'm mound maker anyway because its the best covenant.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
If you wear that ring will the summon sign be white?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
threaded the needle with sunlight spear through 3 havel dads trying to take the bullet for their tiny wizard host in the archives, it's time to retire that character and pick something else to do in this game because i'm not topping that. not a chance

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

No, which is a drat shame. drat shame.

Should at least be like hostile sunbros, where it's white surrounding a small bit of purple.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

No, which is a drat shame. drat shame.

Should at least be like hostile sunbros, where it's white surrounding a small bit of purple.

Sunbro red signs are like that, and purpal red signs follow suit, being red tinged with purple. White summon signs for both covenants are converted entirely to their color, gold and purple respectively.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm still annoyed Sunbro invaders aren't called Jolly Invaders.

yort
Sep 25, 2015

Digital_Jesus posted:

My favorite PvP build is the one where I wait until the invader is about to land their first hit then Alt-F4 the game just to annoy them.

I guess you can get soft banned for that now

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

yort posted:

I guess you can get soft banned for that now

After I did it like 30 times it just tells you that your worldlink is severed and you need to use the white circle sign to re-enable multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Stop trusting purple phantoms when there is no invasion going on, hosts. If I collaborate is because I want to lead you to the strongest enemy on the map and then backstab you.