Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Alabaster White posted:

So did anyone figure out what dunking your head in wax does? I tried using fire, getting hit by fire, etc. to see if I could light it like a candle but nothing happened.

It lets you walk through those ghosty grabby hands without damage or curse

Also for anyone having trouble with the Bridge Beetlejuice Possum thing, definitely try a bleeding weapon. I'm not a Dex build or anything, but I used a +0 Morningstar with the Bleed Juice applied to it and he got wrecked. For the second encounter I did the same, except I baited the one with a shot from a greatbow and fought him by the ladder and #2 didn't even show up.

Rough Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Harrow posted:

Some weapons have a stance weapon skill, like the Longsword. If you're holding it in two hands (hit Triangle), hold down L2 and you'll take a special stance. Then, pressing R1 and R2 gives you different attacks that cost some FP to use.

Most straight swords (Longsword-like weapons) have that Stance ability, and some greatswords do, too.

Whoa. Never knew I could do anything with L2 when holding my sword two handed. Sweet.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

shield bashing with the Spiked Shield is great when you can get the shield to block what's coming your way

can't stop the bleeding, nope, not even when I'm not swinging my sword

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39W6Am1KQ3w

Watch this short video when you reach the Cathedral of the Deep and save yourself a lot of sanity and estus chugs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JetsGuy posted:

Whoa. Never knew I could do anything with L2 when holding my sword two handed. Sweet.

Every weapon has something you can do with L2 when holding it two-handed. If you highlight the weapon in your inventory and hit Square, you can read its description, which tells you what its skill is. (The game calls them Skills but most people say "weapon art" because that's what they were called in pre-release coverage so we're used to it.) You always use skills by two-handing and pressing L2. Sometimes you have to hold L2 and press R1/R2 to do things, other times you just press L2 and it happens.

For the most part they're sort of just extra types of attacks you can do and spend your FP on (it isn't just for magic!). Some of them are really practical (like the Stance one's guard break or the Charge skill that most spears have), some aren't that useful, some are flashy and cool, and a couple are flashy and really strong. They're fun to play with no matter what.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cultisto posted:

Watch this short video when you reach the Cathedral of the Deep and save yourself a lot of sanity and estus chugs.

That's a long video that can be succinctly summed up in "use your torch to remove constant bleed buildup,"

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Has anyone figured out the story yet and made a video that explains or written an article?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Cultisto posted:

gently caress. Is this hinted at anywhere?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spikeguy posted:

Has anyone figured out the story yet and made a video that explains or written an article?

I don't think there's a good summary out there yet. If this is anything like Bloodborne and its DLC, Rich Stanton over at Eurogamer will eventually have a really good article about it, but there isn't one yet.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

The Dancer of the Boreal Valley was a lot easier than I was expecting going into it, hell it even let me turn around and leave without spawning the boss until I walked into the statue. Compared to the previous bosses its attacks just seemed really slow and telegraphed, with surprisingly low reach on most of the attacks.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What is the loving deal with Yhorm? Ok so I had help the first time around, seemed like people were beating his ankles off then he'd drop and we'd smash his face, but I hit him about 20 times and nothing, and my attacks usually do huge damage. I read he's weak to storm ruler, I even upgraded it to +2 and its only about third of the damage of my main weapon.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Alan Smithee posted:

Man this Bloodborne alligator guarding irithyl can go gently caress itself

Why do people keep calling these alligators? Looks more like giant Tim Burton rats to me. :shrug:

Einwand posted:

Well, I see now what people were talking about with Yhorm. It'd probably have been a fun fight if he didn't have entirely too much hp to not just use the built in solution that's incredibly annoying to actually use.

Its a very DeS style gimmick fight, but you literally fight it using a weapon from DeS, so... I dunno I though it was pretty cool?

Didn't seem like he had too much HP to me, he goes down in like 5 swings. The only trick of the fight is learning when is safe to dodge and charge and that was pretty easy. Got him 3rd try.

Oh, I guess what you're saying is you wish you'd have the option to do the fight as a non-gimmick. Yeah I would think that the idea was you could go about it either way, either use the sword and do the gimmick or fight him as a normal boss, potentially harder but more the kind of thing you're familiar with. But in practice he has so much health you have to use the gimmick, yeah. I agree he should take slightly more damage from non-storm attacks so that's a viable strategy too. Maybe on NG+ the balance will be different?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

codo27 posted:

What is the loving deal with Yhorm? Ok so I had help the first time around, seemed like people were beating his ankles off then he'd drop and we'd smash his face, but I hit him about 20 times and nothing, and my attacks usually do huge damage. I read he's weak to storm ruler, I even upgraded it to +2 and its only about third of the damage of my main weapon.

Two hand it, hold L2, wait for it to glow, attack.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yhorm is basically a gimmicky MMO boss

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cultisto posted:

Spanish Manlove posted:

That's a long video that can be succinctly summed up in "use your torch to remove constant bleed buildup,"

You can sum it up even more succinctly by saying "Fire kills leeches".

There's a ton of leeches all over you when you get the bleed buildup; that's what is causing it.

Although I was kinda sad that pyromancy didn't seem to do the trick. Didn't test whether getting hit by it would work or not.

Robo Reagan posted:

Somebody never played DeS.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Fat Samurai posted:

gently caress. Is this hinted at anywhere?

yeah, in the messages on the floor :unsmith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

codo27 posted:

Read item descriptions in souls games

The item description on storm ruler is literally "how to kill Yhorm"

Although it took me a minute myself to realize you have to charge it long enough that it gets a buff, since its also a stance you can attack from that's a little misleading. There's a few other weapons that have a stance that also charges too though, like the Greatsword of Judgement from Sulyvahnn.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Spikeguy posted:

The bell bongs, you wake up, you decide to kill the world for some reason. You help Anri find Horace by pointing down and going "hey there he is, you can literally see him from right where you're standing you idiot, let's go get him". When you get to Aldrich, Anri and Horace do a special kung fu dance that frees Gwyndolin so you can kill Aldrich. Gwyndolin thanks you and gives you a channeler trident. Satisfied that you have done enough killing, you spend the rest of your days in a comfy cottage with Anri and Horace.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Robo Reagan posted:

Not really, every other boss is closer to an MMO boss, especially now that they all have phases. Yhorm is more like a zelda boss where you have to use that one item you found in the dungeon to beat the boss.

Zaphod42 posted:

Why do people keep calling these alligators? Looks more like giant Tim Burton rats to me. :shrug:

My favourite thing about these is that they are mini versions of the Gaping Dragon.

And since I'm talking about callbacks, my favourite so far has gotta be at the end of Irithyll you get the callback to the Anor Londo dual archer run, and then five minutes later you find out it actually is Anor Londo and it takes place directly under the archer run from the first game. Nice.

hampig fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 20, 2016

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I spent like a minute poking at him with my spear doing somewhere around 40 damage and maybe a singular pixel of his health bar a hit before just saying hell with it and discovering the real challenge of the fight, finding and equipping the sword in the middle of my 136 equippable weapons, such as 5 cathedral knight shields, why do I still have these?
I never played the first game so the sword thing was kind of cool but would've been way less annoying if you found it outside the boss room, or at least had it auto equip it on pick up.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I've been trying to beat Yhorm without the Storm Ruler and while his patterns are easy to pick up on, staying consistent is the key

Finding ways to dead angle his arms and head without using anything with "great" in its name is proving to be a bit trickier though

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Ugh, why doesn't having the watchdog covenant equipped when you invade in Farron let you win a covenant item? I didn't realize going to sl 41 would lock me out of the pvp fun in the entire area. :saddowns:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lovely Senorita posted:

I've been trying to beat Yhorm without the Storm Ruler and while his patterns are easy to pick up on, staying consistent is the key

Finding ways to dead angle his arms and head without using anything with "great" in its name is proving to be a bit trickier though

I found a pretty good trick on him Run away from him so there's good distance between you, then turn around and charge towards him. If you get far enough away when you close the distance he's guaranteed to do a certain attack on you, you can really exploit his behavior. Since you know exactly which move is coming in that case, its very easy to avoid (just roll through his legs) and then you've got a great window of opportunity to wail on him or charge the sword before he recovers from the attack and turns around to attack again.

If you fight him up close he varies between several moves so dodging them all consistently without getting hit can be tricky. If you run away and dash through his legs, he just keeps doing the same one attack over and over making him very predictable.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Harrow posted:

Equip the Knight Slayer's Ring you get from Tsorig in the Catacombs and poo poo on shield-turtlers even more because your attacks will take more Stamina to block.

This adds to the panic nicely. As does a Lloyds talisman...some things never change :D

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

yort posted:

What are your favorite low level pvp builds so far?

SL15 with 24 Strength and the Meat Cleaver and Grass Crest shield, Cholo ring, Knightslayers ring, then whatev rings are preferred for third and fourth.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
gently caress everything in the farron keep. gently caress it all. and those dudes who stand up on both legs and then jump on you constantly can suck my loving dick.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

RBA Starblade posted:

According to the pyf little things thread emoting in front of the fire keeper gets you some reactions from her. I'll have to shout at her later. :haw:

Drop a couple prism stones in a circle and do path of the dragon in front of her

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I guess I got gud, because last night I finished up Aldritch (holy projectiles! 8/10 fight)...then proceeded to two-shot Dancer, one-shot Oceiros (cool voice, that soul description makes it so weird, 8/10), and somehow one-shot NK (honestly I wasn't that impressed by the fight, it felt basically like Ornstein, 7/10).

Then I was able to upgrade both the Greatspear and my Carthus Shotel to max. I showed those knights in Lothric Castle what for. Game is good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

turtlecrunch posted:

The bell bongs, you wake up, you decide to kill the world for some reason. You help Anri find Horace by pointing down and going "hey there he is, you can literally see him from right where you're standing you idiot, let's go get him". When you get to Aldrich, Anri and Horace do a special kung fu dance that frees Gwyndolin so you can kill Aldrich. Gwyndolin thanks you and gives you a channeler trident. Satisfied that you have done enough killing, you spend the rest of your days in a comfy cottage with Anri and Horace.

:unsmith:

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Is the greatsword of judgement any good? Already sunk a bunch of twinkling in the ithyrll straight sword but that thing seems pretty cool, albeit with terrible scaling.

What level are people around killing Pontiff. I'm lv 46 and wondering. Barely any summons to and from the boss.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's sad they were never able to create a cooler hub lady than maiden in black

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I wanna go greatsword really badly but I can't stay under the 70% weight ratio and still wear my cool armor :smith:

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
What's the word on the Moonlight Great Sword in this here game? Is the spell you can get in its stead any good at all or should I get that on NG+ if I want it for completionism?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ultrachrist posted:

Is the greatsword of judgement any good? Already sunk a bunch of twinkling in the ithyrll straight sword but that thing seems pretty cool, albeit with terrible scaling.

What level are people around killing Pontiff. I'm lv 46 and wondering. Barely any summons to and from the boss.

Its kinda fun and it looks cool as poo poo, but I don't think many of the boss weapons are like, top tier or anything. You get a really fun moonlight greatsword style beam attack which catches some people off guard, but otherwise its pretty much a bastard sword that can cast darkmoon blade on itself without using as much mana :shrug:

Best weapons in the game are probably like, Estoc, Uchigatana, Broadsword, Longsword.

But do whatever seems fun to you, especially since oddball weapons are more likely to confuse people in pvp and throw off their game.

Speaking of, I've been experimenting with twin weapons. I still haven't gotten it to like OMGWTFBBQ levels of OP or anything, but using the twinblades, buffing one of them, then casting carthus beacon on yourself, while wearing the pontiff's left and right eyes, and then using the L1 attack over and over, especially against groups of enemies, is pretty drat effective.

Your damage isn't insane but its very respectable, the hits come out fast and chain pretty heavy so if you catch somebody you can probably beat them up good. I had trouble getting it to trigger before but I was using the L2 and R1 attacks which are too slow, but the L1 attack is just right for getting in lots of fast fast hits.

Pretty much every 3 hits I get on somebody using L1 regenerates a big chunk of health, which is nothing to scoff at. And between weapon buffs, the carthus beacon, the other ring and having the right stats you can put out a lot of damage very fast using twinblades.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Martout posted:

What's the word on the Moonlight Great Sword in this here game? Is the spell you can get in its stead any good at all or should I get that on NG+ if I want it for completionism?

Crystal breath is useless compared to great heavy soul arrow or css for pve. You can probably find some function to it for distraction in pvp, or maybe if you really want to get backstabbed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I really like spears for some reason but apparently they're awful for PvE and PvP alike. Is this less true of any of them?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Einwand posted:

I spent like a minute poking at him with my spear doing somewhere around 40 damage and maybe a singular pixel of his health bar a hit before just saying hell with it and discovering the real challenge of the fight, finding and equipping the sword in the middle of my 136 equippable weapons, such as 5 cathedral knight shields, why do I still have these?
I never played the first game so the sword thing was kind of cool but would've been way less annoying if you found it outside the boss room, or at least had it auto equip it on pick up.

What sword? I just smash his bling and he blows up

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

turtlecrunch posted:

Crystal breath is useless compared to great heavy soul arrow or css for pve. You can probably find some function to it for distraction in pvp, or maybe if you really want to get backstabbed.

Right, it's for the collection then if I can be bothered. MLGS it is! Thanks :)

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Its kinda fun and it looks cool as poo poo, but I don't think many of the boss weapons are like, top tier or anything. You get a really fun moonlight greatsword style beam attack which catches some people off guard, but otherwise its pretty much a bastard sword that can cast darkmoon blade on itself without using as much mana :shrug:

Best weapons in the game are probably like, Estoc, Uchigatana, Broadsword, Longsword.

But do whatever seems fun to you, especially since oddball weapons are more likely to confuse people in pvp and throw off their game.

Following the Dark Souls PvP meta is like being one of those guys who plays Smash Brothers but only on Final Destination and with no items. Fun Dark Souls PvP has always been about stupid gimmicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I think I just got to the Grand Archives. How close to the end am I? I beat the optional area very close by that ended in a darkened reality (trying to be vague for spoilers). I want to finish this run up and start a Dex character, or a Great Axe wielding rear end in a top hat. My pyromancer w/+8 chaos broadsword is fun, but starting to get stale.