Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Warbird posted:

So guess who's getting married later this year? Apparently me. Grandma asked the fortune teller when her granddaughter and the foreigner should get hitched, and it's August or about that time. I know a few of you are married to Chinese citizens, any wedding hot tips? I have no idea what I'm doing and I think/hope the inlaws are handling the logistics.

Congratulations gaijin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Weddings have their regional differences so I can't help you. Also depends on family traditions and socio economic background

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

maybe you can have a rest

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

A family friend tried to kill me via alcohol poisoning at our (pre)engagement dinner, so hopefully they got the hint last time. Her family's pretty well to do in the Shandong province, but I doubt that helps any.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Generally the more north you go the heavier the drinking. the trashier they are:henget:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
:ughh:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

simplefish posted:

Do you have a degree? A CELTA or other TEFL certificate?

I have a degree and am in the process of completing a TEFL course, yeah. Still pretty hard to figure out where I might like to be, though east China seems a good bet

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Paperhouse posted:

Hi China thread. I'm strongly considering coming to work as a teacher in China and wondered if you had any sort of consensus on where to go/where not to go? I know that's pretty subjective but I'm having a hard time really narrowing down where I'd be aiming to work. Shanghai would be cool but I guess that's where everybody wants to go, so I'm not sure if it's viable for someone with no experience. Some people online suggest you'll only get a job there with experience. Perhaps living somewhere not far from Shanghai would be good? help.

Jeoh posted:

the only good city in china is chengdu

e: Our company is hiring and our school is great; PM myself or Grand Fromage for more info.

Oracle posted:

How trustworthy is the Chinese mail system? If I'm sending documents with sensitive information to someone who needs to send them to the consulate are they going to get opened and read? Should I just use a courier? Mostly worried about identity theft.

Welp, I got a package last week that had been sent out December 3rd, so...

I've SO FAR only had one package disappear, and it's because my mom is a drunken derplord and decided not to print out and affix the hanzi address because "it'll be fine!" Regardless, I'd send it the safest possible way, just in case. Tracking, insurance, what have you.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

bringmyfishback posted:

SO FAR only had one package disappear, and it's because my mom is a drunken derplord and decided not to print out and affix the hanzi address because "it'll be fine!"

Are we related? You're describing my mother, and my last two Christmas presents.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

bringmyfishback posted:

e: Our company is hiring and our school is great; PM myself or Grand Fromage for more info.
I'm not ready yet to apply, but I do appreciate this. Chengdu actually does look great, though I got it in my head that I'd like to get reasonably okay at Mandarin and apparently they speak a weird dialect there?

How did you guys choose where you ended up? I'm starting to think I'd be better off applying for many cities and seeing what sticks since lots of them look interesting

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

They speak weird dialects everywhere unless you dump yourself in Heilongjiang or something.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you work here, make sure you find a good work environment because that makes or breaks your china life. Even if you are placed in gently caress off bum town in the middle of Henan, if your school is good then you won't be as miserable.

However the coastal and major cities tend to have their poo poo put together and attract better recruits because only sane people want to live in more modern areas.

Unless you are those weird REAL CHINA AND ONLY SPEAK MANDARIN kind of person. Which actually does wonders for your language skills

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So facing the prospect of marring my wife and then not seeing her for 3 months while her visa processes, I think we may just elope this weekend and get the whole mess started now. Now I can have people from both sides of the Pacific pissed at me! Yay!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
You shouldnt do that to your wife

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Don't have a choice I'm afraid. If she stops working, her CPT goes out the window. May as well get a license now, and having a proper wedding in 3 months once she can actually stay with me for longer than a weekend at a time.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I was talking about a typo on your other post, mate

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Warbird posted:

So guess who's getting married later this year? Apparently me. Grandma asked the fortune teller when her granddaughter and the foreigner should get hitched, and it's August or about that time. I know a few of you are married to Chinese citizens, any wedding hot tips? I have no idea what I'm doing and I think/hope the inlaws are handling the logistics.
Explain FATCA to them over drinks, if you're American. Not only is the gobsmacked reaction entertaining, but it doubles as the legal Leatherman of dealing with sticky Chinese family situations.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

I'm not ready yet to apply, but I do appreciate this. Chengdu actually does look great, though I got it in my head that I'd like to get reasonably okay at Mandarin and apparently they speak a weird dialect there?

How did you guys choose where you ended up? I'm starting to think I'd be better off applying for many cities and seeing what sticks since lots of them look interesting

In Shanghai they don't even speak the same language as Mandarin (natively), they speak 吴语 which is as different to Mandarin as French is from Portuguese.

That said, in Chengdu they speak another different dialect entirely so it's not much different.

Like someone said, the only place they speak "proper" putonghua is way up north, everywhere else will have the majority of the people speaking accented Mandarin. Harbin is p cool actually (and very cheap) but it's also basically Siberia.

Also for teaching especially, the money:cost of living ratio goes up a lot once you leave Shanghai and Beijing, so that's another thing to consider. Chengdu, Guangzhou, Xiamen, Chongqing, etc... are all big cities but have a much lower cost of living with not that much lower average salary. Shanghai and Beijing do have much larger expat crowds, more English-speaking/western-centric activities, more international food options, etc... so if you care about that there are legit benefits for that higher cost of living.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Magna Kaser posted:

Also for teaching especially, the money:cost of living ratio goes up a lot once you leave Shanghai and Beijing, so that's another thing to consider. Chengdu, Guangzhou, Xiamen, Chongqing, etc... are all big cities but have a much lower cost of living with not that much lower average salary. Shanghai and Beijing do have much larger expat crowds, more English-speaking/western-centric activities, more international food options, etc... so if you care about that there are legit benefits for that higher cost of living.

This is THE thing to consider. If you aren't getting 15k a month plus in Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen financially it makes no sense to live and work there, unless you really want the English-speaking/western centric activities, but if that's the case, you probably don't need to come to China for that and could just go to Korea or Japan or any other first world country in the world.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Magna Kaser posted:

In Shanghai they don't even speak the same language as Mandarin (natively), they speak 吴语 which is as different to Mandarin as French is from Portuguese.

I quoted Magna but this is really for paperhouse

Shanghainese-accented mandarin is way more attractive sounding than the real stuff up north because nobody shoehorns "er" sounds into everything. Also the shanghainese dialect is pretty cool and at least for the more common words is a type of 'lazy mandarin' pronunciation replacement for words - also tones are much less important and if anything sounds a bit like spoken Japanese. If you learn this dialect it's like being part of a church community in that all Shanghai natives will instantly trust and respect you more (a lot of salesmen from elsewhere will learn it because it's an easy way to make sales).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTe7gC5mk8g

Also if you've seen some of the other China discussions on the forums, Shanghai is a lot less "China" than almost anywhere else on the mainland (except maybe Shenzhen? or Xiamen?). For some people this is an advantage because China will break them unless they hang out in the shallow end, though for others that makes it a huge turn-off.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Trammel posted:

Are we related? You're describing my mother, and my last two Christmas presents.

I WISH I could get my brother to come over!

Paperhouse posted:

All parts of China speak a weird dialect, really. You'll do fine speaking Mandarin with almost everyone.

I didn't choose, really; GF is my real-life homie and he was like hey i can get you a job. It worked out well!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Tom Smykowski posted:

I was talking about a typo on your other post, mate

My bad, I'm not a native English speaker. I assume you're talking about me marrying my wife and not the fiance? Also, not happening this weekend because April is the 4th month of the year and we'll both drop dead if we get a legal document signed in that time. The fact that she typically uses the Lunar calendar for all her other superstition affairs notwithstanding.

ReindeerF posted:

Explain FATCA to them over drinks, if you're American. Not only is the gobsmacked reaction entertaining, but it doubles as the legal Leatherman of dealing with sticky Chinese family situations.

I make a point not to discuss politics, religion, college football teams that are not Alabama, and general affairs pertaining to any aspect of finance if at app possible in polite company.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Where is the best place for a first time (tourist) visitor to stay in Shanghai? I value being able to wander to decent restaurants and bars at the end of the day without having to trek too far across the city.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Have any of you in China now seen the new The Jungle Book movie? If so, a buddy and I were curious as to what they called Baloo in Mandarin, since his name means literally "bear" in Hindi.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Where is the best place for a first time (tourist) visitor to stay in Shanghai? I value being able to wander to decent restaurants and bars at the end of the day without having to trek too far across the city.

What's your budget?

I recommend somewhere near the French quarter or Jing An area. You can walk around at night and go to some decent restaurants and bars. There's good craft beer places, good cocktail bars, decent Chinese restaurants and Japanese food too, and slightly less touristy than Nanjing lu/the bund. Plus you are on the green line so you are a few stop from the Bund/Yu gardens

The Hanting All seasons I normally go to is now labeled as JI hotel.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/cn/qua...highlight_room=

The rate here is slightly more expensive but it's the only site in English as far as I know

caberham fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 20, 2016

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Have any of you in China now seen the new The Jungle Book movie? If so, a buddy and I were curious as to what they called Baloo in Mandarin, since his name means literally "bear" in Hindi.

His name isn't just "bear", I know. I'm forgetting the exact characters used but it's something that sounds like "Baloo".

e: whoops I was using a source for the book not the movie.

Mowgli is 毛克利 (mao ke li)
Baloo is "巴鲁" (ba lu)

All the animals have a phonetically transliterated name, pretty much.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 20, 2016

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Magna Kaser posted:

His name isn't just "bear", I know. I'm forgetting the exact characters used but it's something that sounds like "Baloo".

e: whoops I was using a source for the book not the movie.

Mowgli is 毛克利 (mao ke li)
Baloo is "巴鲁" (ba lu)

All the animals have a phonetically transliterated name, pretty much.

Thank you!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Le Tour is pretty good. http://letourshanghai.com/v2/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19&Itemid=114

It's in Jing'An and was pretty good as far as hostels go. There's a lot of nice bars and places to eat in that area. Most of the big drinking areas are in the French Concession.

There weren't really any places that I can remember in the French Concession but if your Chinese is alright you could do a regular hotel.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
My sister is going to China for work-related reasons and she's looking for a VPN for her and 4 other co-workers to use while they're there. Last I checked, Astrill still had issues working over iPhone/iPad (which she tells me is what most of them will be carrying), so does anyone have any other suggestions for a VPN?

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

S.D. posted:

My sister is going to China for work-related reasons and she's looking for a VPN for her and 4 other co-workers to use while they're there. Last I checked, Astrill still had issues working over iPhone/iPad (which she tells me is what most of them will be carrying), so does anyone have any other suggestions for a VPN?

If it's for work, then expense and prepay for some international mobile roaming data packs from your local Telco. Roaming data isn't hit by the GFW, it gets routed directly to the home country. Otherwise I can't recommend a business class VPN that works in China now.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Pretty much above. But internet speed will still be affected traversing the GFW+

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

caberham posted:

What's your budget?

I recommend somewhere near the French quarter or Jing An area. You can walk around at night and go to some decent restaurants and bars. There's good craft beer places, good cocktail bars, decent Chinese restaurants and Japanese food too, and slightly less touristy than Nanjing lu/the bund. Plus you are on the green line so you are a few stop from the Bund/Yu gardens

The Hanting All seasons I normally go to is now labeled as JI hotel.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/cn/qua...highlight_room=

The rate here is slightly more expensive but it's the only site in English as far as I know

I don't want to be more than $200 a night. Going with my girlfriend who has never been to Asia, so we are starting off in Shanghai and nice hotels. Southern Jing An is where I was previously looking, as it seemed far enough away from the Bund / People's Square to be less annoying, but still within traveling distance to everything.

In regards to cell phone discussion; my employer gives me international AT&T SIM cards whenever I travel abroad so I can keep in touch. Will that be blocked or affected by the Chinese firewall?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

$160 is standard decent quality with breakfast/internet/gym/pool/rides to public transportation.

Also I see that hotel cheaper on Agoda

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
There's a chain of budget hotels in Shanghai called Hanting Express, maybe $100 per night though locations won't be as good.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Guys who spend lots of time in china should come back and post funny stories here, and gtfo out of gbs.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

LentThem posted:

Also the shanghainese dialect is pretty cool and at least for the more common words is a type of 'lazy mandarin' pronunciation replacement for words - also tones are much less important and if anything sounds a bit like spoken Japanese. If you learn this dialect it's like being part of a church community in that all Shanghai natives will instantly trust and respect you more (a lot of salesmen from elsewhere will learn it because it's an easy way to make sales).
Speaking of which, when did they start doing the announcements in Shanghinese on the buses?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

Speaking of which, when did they start doing the announcements in Shanghinese on the buses?

In the past few years there's been quite a resurgence in preserving topolects since adults realized the younger set are all basically unable to speak them whatsoever, and this is part of that. They're working on bringing Wu/Cantonese/Minnan/etc classes into classrooms now as well though that will probably be harder since 讲普通话,写规范字 and all that.

When I lived in Hangzhou in about 2010-2011 there were some Hangzhounese (p similar to Shanghainese) schools popping up as an after school or weekend thing for kids. It's grown a lot since then.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Guess that just makes Guangdong Province super special because The TV station always had Cantonese programming. And everyone in Guangzhou speaks Cantonese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

caberham posted:

Guess that just makes Guangdong Province super special because The TV station always had Cantonese programming. And everyone in Guangzhou speaks Cantonese.

Nah it's just about being further away from Beijing.
山高皇帝远