Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Knyteguy posted:

Didn't get to the Camaro. As I said I was in a bad place while I was working through some stuff (plus I was sick which made it worse). I intend on taking care of MAF sesnsor in the following few days.

Simple diagnosis is pretty cathartic for me, and calms my brain, with the added bonus of making me feel like I'm fighting entropy and actively bettering something. I struggle sometimes in similar ways as you, and given our similar career backgrounds as well, I figured it may be of some help.

Do it, don't do it. Makes no difference to me, and please don't feel yourself beholden to give me any sort of result. I'll be chillin here waiting to give you info if you need it. MAFs are the least of your worries and your car will be fine, but you may find it helpful mentally. Worth a shot, at least :peanut:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Knyteguy posted:

Good advice. I wasn't trying to piss the thread off. If anything I was showing diligence in my search. As I said I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to mental health stuff. I have no idea if/how a low rated psychiatrist correlates to performance. As Veskit said it could be a nature of the profession and its patients.

A psychiatrist is different than a therapist. A therapist isn't a medical doctor and can't prescribe any drugs. A psychiatrist is only needed if you think you need drugs. If a therapist thinks you need drugs they will help you find a psychiatrist.

Do you want a therapist (talk therapy) or a psychiatrist (drug therapy)? You might need both.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Adiabatic posted:

Simple diagnosis is pretty cathartic for me, and calms my brain, with the added bonus of making me feel like I'm fighting entropy and actively bettering something. I struggle sometimes in similar ways as you, and given our similar career backgrounds as well, I figured it may be of some help.

Do it, don't do it. Makes no difference to me, and please don't feel yourself beholden to give me any sort of result. I'll be chillin here waiting to give you info if you need it. MAFs are the least of your worries and your car will be fine, but you may find it helpful mentally. Worth a shot, at least :peanut:

Yeah I like working on the car sometimes. Except when stuff breaks on something critical then I get mad. :)

Thanks again for the help. I want to let you know what happens. It's like a puzzle.

BarbarianElephant posted:

A psychiatrist is different than a therapist. A therapist isn't a medical doctor and can't prescribe any drugs. A psychiatrist is only needed if you think you need drugs. If a therapist thinks you need drugs they will help you find a psychiatrist.

Do you want a therapist (talk therapy) or a psychiatrist (drug therapy)? You might need both.

Talk therapy. I believe drugs beyond Ibuprofen/standard OTC should be used only when chemically necessary, or at the extreme ends of the spectrum. Especially when someone has a predisposition towards doing stupid stuff with them. If my mom's GP didn't decide to get her hopped up on 10 different meds she'd probably look at things differently. I feel like his overprescibing shares some of the blame. I feel like his incorrect prescribing shares some of the blame.

It's like my RN grandma says: A surgeon will look at surgery as the right choice far more often than a non-surgeon. I had a surgeon friend of hers (who gave us free visits) advise surgery for some ear was removal. My grandma ended up using some baby oil and an ear flush with no surgery.

If a psychiatrist believes that drugs are the first answer, then he'll be more likely to prescribe drugs, even if they're not necessarily the right answer. And how could a psychiatrist not? I want the correct solution, and I don't feel any kind of problem that I find insurmountable without drugs. I believe that the answer for more is more simple than that. Change some views I have on things, learn some coping skills, learn some stress reduction skills, and call it good.

Believe me I'm not trying to drug shame here. If someone needs it then they need it. I just don't believe I need it, hence why should I seek it specifically. I'd much rather make that a last resort nothing else is working type of deal.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

No one had a problem with your idea of starting your own business. Maybe there's some very specific issues with your business model, but becoming aware of and addressing those issues is best done sooner rather than later, and that's more constructive criticism than not.

The thread just started trying to pump the brakes when it looked like your approach (intense and seemingly to the exclusion of more urgent goals, coinciding with a period of high stress) started to seem unhealthy. It's not just what you do that matters. It's how you do it.

You can't do to many things at once or you're just going to overwhelm yourself. Right now, you're dealing with family poo poo, quitting smoking/drinking, trying to follow a budget, trying to fix your car, trying to find a therapist, and trying to get a new job. Putting "starting a new business" on the backburner for a few months while you handle the LITERAL SIX OTHER IMPORTANT THINGS going on right now isn't a sign of failure or a sign that you've given up. (Okay, the car isn't really on the same level, but still.)

I am happy that you were able to recognize when your emotional state wasn't good to be engaging with the thread and correspondingly took a well-timed break, though.

Edit: ^^ I agree, you should see a therapist before a psychiatrist and let your therapist tell you if he thinks you have a brain chemistry issue that needs addressing.

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 18, 2016

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

KG, quick off-topic question for the purposes of our challenge (others can chime in too)

I finally filed my taxes on Friday (the first time I've ever waited this long, due to complications with documents and also having both W-2 income, two different 1099s, and unemployment income on top of that)

When I proposed our challenge I had already ran the TurboTax tax calculator thing and it indicated I should be expecting a refund of just over $400 so I didn't worry about it.

Turns out I wound up owing $735 on top of the $80 TurboTax fee.

For our purposes, how do you want me to classify this? I hesitated to call it "debt repayment" even though it was definitely money I owed- but at the same time, if I don't call it that there's pretty much no way I'm coming up with an additional $700 this month to throw at pre-existing debt as I had to pull some from my emergency fund and re-arrange priorities elsewhere.

Your call (and/or the thread's call).

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Horking Delight posted:

No one had a problem with your idea of starting your own business. Maybe there's some very specific issues with your business model, but becoming aware of and addressing those issues is best done sooner rather than later, and that's more constructive criticism than not.

The thread just started trying to pump the brakes when it looked like your approach (intense and seemingly to the exclusion of more urgent goals, coinciding with a period of high stress) started to seem unhealthy. It's not just what you do that matters. It's how you do it.

You can't do to many things at once or you're just going to overwhelm yourself. Right now, you're dealing with family poo poo, quitting smoking/drinking, trying to follow a budget, trying to fix your car, trying to find a therapist, and trying to get a new job. Putting "starting a new business" on the backburner for a few months while you handle the LITERAL SIX OTHER IMPORTANT THINGS going on right now isn't a sign of failure or a sign that you've given up. (Okay, the car isn't really on the same level, but still.)

I am happy that you were able to recognize when your emotional state wasn't good to be engaging with the thread and correspondingly took a well-timed break, though.

Edit: ^^ I agree, you should see a therapist before a psychiatrist and let your therapist tell you if he thinks you have a brain chemistry issue that needs addressing.

I'm definitely open to constructive criticism regarding a business I haven't even started. I've appreciated every note of input on it so far.

I have other ideas, too. Outside the realm of technology. My great aunt and uncle got rich with apartments back East. I've thought about real estate (say trailers/mobile homes/duplexes/cheap apartments without being scummy about it), expanding drop shipping as imabanana mention, etc. Hell I've thought about pushing a mower around on the weekends and starting a small landscape company.

I'm not sold on any one idea by any means.

Yeah good call I am overburdening myself. I wouldn't have faltered quitting drinking if I wasn't quitting smoking. "Slay one dragon at a time" I've said that several times, and those are my old alcohol counselor's words. But I'm not going back to smoking now. Gonna have to deal.

IllegallySober posted:

KG, quick off-topic question for the purposes of our challenge (others can chime in too)

I finally filed my taxes on Friday (the first time I've ever waited this long, due to complications with documents and also having both W-2 income, two different 1099s, and unemployment income on top of that)

When I proposed our challenge I had already ran the TurboTax tax calculator thing and it indicated I should be expecting a refund of just over $400 so I didn't worry about it.

Turns out I wound up owing $735 on top of the $80 TurboTax fee.

For our purposes, how do you want me to classify this? I hesitated to call it "debt repayment" even though it was definitely money I owed- but at the same time, if I don't call it that there's pretty much no way I'm coming up with an additional $700 this month to throw at pre-existing debt as I had to pull some from my emergency fund and re-arrange priorities elsewhere.

Your call (and/or the thread's call).

I put it as debt repayment man, so I couldn't fault you for doing the same thing. As with any debt it probably comes from a mistake, but hey. I'm also willing to defer to the thread if anyone offers up something else.

Ouch on the tax bill though. Contracting taxes are annoying.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Knyteguy posted:

OK had some time for some reflection, talking with my wife trying to figure out why I was feeling so stressed out. I'm feeling much better. More on this in a bit.

No not my job itself. It's my lack of finding something better that's the problem.

I've had some hefty expectations I've had put on me since I was a kid. From others (teachers, parents), and from myself. I spoke a lot about this with my old therapist. He and I both agreed that it's better to shoot for the stars. If I can do that responsibly then so be it. I'm not afraid of failing.

My happiness is not dependent on succeeding. It's dependent on trying. To do otherwise is to give up on ~"my dreams"~, and I'm too young for that.

My wealth building plan is this:
- Get out of debt
- Start a business with discretionary funds somewhere near the end of that cycle
- Indefinitely invest money according to budget towards VTSAX/VFINX and probably something more for some diversification (become more knowledgeable on this)
- Profit (eventually)

Your old shrink also didn't think you needed to work on your finances. Giving someone the advice to 'shoot for the stars' is pretty bullshit. Have you considered that your old therapist just wasn't any good? It feels a lot like you're cherry picking advice when it suits what you want to do. This has happened tons of times in the past throughout this thread, you are selective about the opinions so it suits what you already want.

I understand that you have not been able to locate a better job, but what have you done in the past 12 months to make yourself a better candidate for a new/higher paying job? Have you learned a new language, developed a side project that will show off your skills?

[/quote]

quote:

I'm offering more than hosting. A "free" 3 page website alone would easily cover two years of difference for hosting. Plus I offer excellent customer service. Sure they can run to HostGator, or pay more with AT&T, but I'm someone who will actually give a drat about their business meeting its goals with their online presence. That will likely include consults and recurring support that has nothing to do with their actual hosting. My boss just charged our business neighbors $75/hr for a web consult from me. That included design aspects, content. I've studied conversion funneling extensive. I can run at basically any software (I've worked on PHP, .net, and BBJ ecommerce suites) to give help, etc.

I didn't put in so much time just for them. I used it to add some pretty OK code to my Github to show off to future employers as well.

The difference between this business model, and what your lambo buying friend has done, is he has developed a product that he can sell over and over. No offense to your business model, but a 'free 3 page site' sounds like something you'd pitch someone in 2005. Modern CMSs from places like Squarespace really have eliminated the need for stuff like that for a lot of folks. Even if you were able to bill $75/hour as a full time job, that's 'only' around 150k a year. Probably not enough money to retire on in 10 years.

I think you should continue to work on a business plan, but I do not think the one you have cooking is terribly viable.

quote:

Yeah it was good to take a break. No good would have come from continuing posting. I was in a really bad place mentally Friday/Saturday. I was trying to figure out what the hell I was feeling and I just couldn't. Sunday was better, today is better. I ended up kind of working through it with my wife.

The intensity towards the business may have been a symptom, but the want is not. I fully intend to proceed with some sort of business plan within the next 12 months. I think n8r's idea of getting some business consulting is a great idea.

Yeah I can talk about them if I can recognize them. All I could recognize was that ball of tension in my stomach.

I'm currently trying to come up with a regular exercise plan. I think that will help. I've been advised that many multiple times now, from Rhea, from my psychologist, from others.

Good advice. I wasn't trying to piss the thread off. If anything I was showing diligence in my search. As I said I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to mental health stuff. I have no idea if/how a low rated psychiatrist correlates to performance. As Veskit said it could be a nature of the profession and its patients.

Yeah I do get some alone time sometimes, but then my wife gets upset about my lack of presence. I think a schedule would set expectations. Not a bad idea I'll talk to her.

I am not one to diagnose people on the internet, but I've been around this thread a long time, and I happen to have the same diagnosis - you're bipolar. You have so many of the classic symptoms it's not funny. You've got these big upswings of optimism, sleep issues, spending problems, drug usage, then falling into depressions soon after. The drugs used to control bipolar can be pretty decent. I take Lamictal, which once you've built up to a therapeutic dose (takes like 6 weeks) it's quite effective and has no side effects that I have noticed. There are lots of options treatment wise for bipolar, but they pretty much all involve drugs. I hope that once you find a good therapist/psychiatrist combo, that you consider taking the medication they recommend.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

Your old shrink also didn't think you needed to work on your finances. Giving someone the advice to 'shoot for the stars' is pretty bullshit. Have you considered that your old therapist just wasn't any good? It feels a lot like you're cherry picking advice when it suits what you want to do. This has happened tons of times in the past throughout this thread, you are selective about the opinions so it suits what you already want.

I understand that you have not been able to locate a better job, but what have you done in the past 12 months to make yourself a better candidate for a new/higher paying job? Have you learned a new language, developed a side project that will show off your skills?

The difference between this business model, and what your lambo buying friend has done, is he has developed a product that he can sell over and over. No offense to your business model, but a 'free 3 page site' sounds like something you'd pitch someone in 2005. Modern CMSs from places like Squarespace really have eliminated the need for stuff like that for a lot of folks. Even if you were able to bill $75/hour as a full time job, that's 'only' around 150k a year. Probably not enough money to retire on in 10 years.

I think you should continue to work on a business plan, but I do not think the one you have cooking is terribly viable.

I am not one to diagnose people on the internet, but I've been around this thread a long time, and I happen to have the same diagnosis - you're bipolar. You have so many of the classic symptoms it's not funny. You've got these big upswings of optimism, sleep issues, spending problems, drug usage, then falling into depressions soon after. The drugs used to control bipolar can be pretty decent. I take Lamictal, which once you've built up to a therapeutic dose (takes like 6 weeks) it's quite effective and has no side effects that I have noticed. There are lots of options treatment wise for bipolar, but they pretty much all involve drugs. I hope that once you find a good therapist/psychiatrist combo, that you consider taking the medication they recommend.

Perhaps in a vacuum you would be right, but that diagnoses ignores the surrounding situations with my emotions. I read up a lot on bipolar, and one of the ways that psychiatrists diagnose it is via family members. My wife said, absolutely, "you're not manic". I talked to her honestly about it. I talked to her about the symptoms, whether she sees that in me, etc. One of her good friends was bipolar growing up.

My mom loving up horribly and continuing to walk herself towards an early death is a problem that will cause these swings. I don't have big upswings of optimism. I am always optimistic. My father died when I was 14 and I was optimistic about life afterwards. I lost my grandma 3 months later. My grandpa two years later. My best friend said he couldn't believe how well I handled it (which really meant I just stuffed it deep down). He would constantly admire my optimism. I was sleeping in my druggy friend's bedroom on his floor and I was optimistic about the future. My depression has been about a million times better until I just got/get overwhelmed with life.

But a lot of it comes down to my mom. When she does bad I do bad. When I hear no news I do well. I've tried to distance myself, to get closer, but nothing helps.

And so far my optimism has always paid off. Life has cock punched me quite a few times with stuff that I'm not even mentioning here, but mother fucker I will not let it push me down for good. I won't be a victim :black101:.

If I were bipolar then it would absolutely be the milder version of it. I'm sorry but you guys just do not have the tools to diagnose me based on text, especially when I can be such a poor communicator. gently caress I wish I thought that was the problem to my stressors; at least then I'd have a solution.

I respected my psychologist. He did a good job for me, and I was a much happier individual while I saw him. I had less of an edge.

Business stuff: Alright noted. Software as a service like my lambo owning "friend" is like my ideal, but that's time consuming. My idea is really to start small to work towards something like that. Ie mow lawns to make some money for a really well done website design for a saas service.

This is a wonderful talk on it: http://businessofsoftware.org/2013/02/gail-goodman-constant-contact-how-to-negotiate-the-long-slow-saas-ramp-of-death/ that I've listened to many times.

But I absolutely have looked into saas. As I said it's the time consuming nature of it that keeps me away for now. If we were fully financially stable then I could probably risk quitting my job for it, but we're not while we're in debt and have sub $50,000-$100,000 in the bank/invested.

edit: honestly I think I have some sort of stress disorder because I'm so inept at dealing with it. After very much thought and reflection, that's what I think. Family died? No don't deal with the stress and displeasure, stuff it down, act like nothing happened. Hawkgirl (I believe) just mentioned that she thought I did that. I do do that.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 18, 2016

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
For what it's worth, my MIL is bipolar and I don't see it in you. I've spent months living with her and caring for her, and while I'm not a professional, I have seen it pretty up close and personal. It's easy to think of manic as just the overspending overly happy, but there's a very very ugly side to it that turns this person into someone completely different. The way they engage and talk and think is distinctly different from the way they normally are. I don't see the chemical imbalance part of that in you.

I wouldn't be surprised if you were diagnosed with depression, but all that's irrelevant. We've been harping on therapy and I know you haven't been in a good place about doing it. I do want to emphasize that I understand how hard it is to see the value and have the motivation to do it when you haven't really gotten much back before. It's a long, slow and intensive process, and it doesn't work at all unless you find someone that actually works with what you need. You sometimes don't even see progress until much later in hindsight. This is why everyone has been so insistent that you do a much more thorough job of finding that first appointment. In my opinion, the best way to do it is to do as many first consultations as possible before you settle on one person. Definitely take online reviews seriously when they are numerous.

Good people to find referrals is to see a professional who deals with getting people out of the issues you have. For example, if you have a problem with eating disorders, talk with a nutritionist about what therapist they have liked working with, etc.

Take your mental health seriously. It will effect your relationship with your child and it will inform on how your child develops. It will also enable you to truly obtain success. You don't need to be complacent, but being successful in life isn't just about your career or having a business. It's about having it together as an adult, and taking care of your health in all aspects is numero uno in that.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 18, 2016

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
You set up an appointment with a psychiatrist, not a therapist. Just in case that was missed. If you want talk therapy, psychiatrists will not help you. Search for therapists in your insurance network. You are going to mostly want to be looking for LCSW, LPCC (could also be LPC), or LMHC after their name.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Knyteguy posted:

Talk therapy. I believe drugs beyond Ibuprofen/standard OTC should be used only when chemically necessary, or at the extreme ends of the spectrum.

If you don't want drugs, don't go to a psychiatrist. I'm not saying that they over-prescribe. I'm just saying that prescribing what they do. Go to a therapist. They are cheaper.

Going to a psychiatrist when you aren't looking for drugs is like going to a plastic surgeon when you really just want a makeover. They will wonder why you are in their office.

Most people go to a therapist first, and if the therapist thinks medication is needed, he will recommend going to a psychiatrist.

marchantia posted:

You set up an appointment with a psychiatrist, not a therapist. Just in case that was missed. If you want talk therapy, psychiatrists will not help you. Search for therapists in your insurance network. You are going to mostly want to be looking for LCSW, LPCC (could also be LPC), or LMHC after their name.

Right.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

quote:

I didn't know you were bipolar too :hfive:

Knyteguy posted:

Take a deep breath, then take like 3 more, then read this.

You're stubborn. Especially when it comes to feeling dumb or below average at something (and this is just feeling, not any basis of truth) you just dig your heels in and try to take on way too much alone, when it's easier and more efficient to just ask for help. You really should ask for help with the mental health stuff because there is a lot of knowledge that can get you through this, and you wont have to stress as hard.

Secondly, you're not the expert, again you're not the expert. Stop saying what you are and aren't willing to consider at that extreme of a level. Here's what you need to tell your psych:

1) I have an addictive personality so I don't want to be on any drugs that I could get addicted to for the purposes of euphoria.
2) I have used (list drugs here) and here is why I didn't like them
3) I'd like to know you're comfortable with me stopping any medication I am not comfortable taking
4) I need to trust you, and I will as long as these things are met

and then you're done. Your psych may say get out of my office, and at that point good because they're not the right one for you, but you may meet one who goes ok, that's reasonable, lets help you out.

You can also see a counselor, and honestly I still suggest seeing your counselor ASAP, figure out if they get the feeling that you have a mental disorder and have THEM recommend which one for you to go to because THEY"LL KNOW BETTER THAN ANYONE.

Lastly, and again deep breath. Very deep breath.

You're an unreliable narrator and you should really stick to concrete events and be honest about them, or, toss it our way and let us answer then for you. Or at least guide it.

Hey, you can't diagnose yourself not bipolar if the thread can't.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Rurutia posted:

For what it's worth, my MIL is bipolar and I don't see it in you. I've spent months living with her and caring for her, and while I'm not a professional, I have seen it pretty up close and personal. It's easy to think of manic as just the overspending overly happy, but there's a very very ugly side to it that turns this person into someone completely different. The way they engage and talk and think is distinctly different from the way they normally are. I don't see the chemical imbalance part of that in you.

I wouldn't be surprised if you were diagnosed with depression, but all that's irrelevant. We've been harping on therapy and I know you haven't been in a good place about doing it. I do want to emphasize that I understand how hard it is to see the value and have the motivation to do it when you haven't really gotten much back before. It's a long, slow and intensive process, and it doesn't work at all unless you find someone that actually works with what you need. You sometimes don't even see progress until much later in hindsight. This is why everyone has been so insistent that you do a much more thorough job of finding that first appointment. In my opinion, the best way to do it is to do as many first consultations as possible before you settle on one person. Definitely take online reviews seriously when they are numerous.

Good people to find referrals is to see a professional who deals with getting people out of the issues you have. For example, if you have a problem with eating disorders, talk with a nutritionist about what therapist they have liked working with, etc.

Take your mental health seriously. It will effect your relationship with your child and it will inform on how your child develops. It will also enable you to truly obtain success. You don't need to be complacent, but being successful in life isn't just about your career or having a business. It's about having it together as an adult, and taking care of your health in all aspects is numero uno in that.

I'm in a better place for the therapy after this weekend. As I said I'd been wavering, but yeah I need some help with this stuff. That's annoying; I dislike that I can't work through them myself.

Thanks.

marchantia posted:

Ah, alright. I've just been looking under "psychologists", but having some titles to look for specifically will help.

Just got an appointment for the 25th with an LCSW.

BarbarianElephant posted:

If you don't want drugs, don't go to a psychiatrist. I'm not saying that they over-prescribe. I'm just saying that prescribing what they do. Go to a therapist. They are cheaper.

Going to a psychiatrist when you aren't looking for drugs is like going to a plastic surgeon when you really just want a makeover. They will wonder why you are in their office.

Most people go to a therapist first, and if the therapist thinks medication is needed, he will recommend going to a psychiatrist.

Ah, OK. My mom went straight to a psychiatrist, so I wasn't sure what was the "correct" way of doing it.

Alright alright.

It still surprises me the progress you've made. Good post Veskit. You're right I probably do try to take on too much myself I don't know.

As I said 25th I have an appointment.

Budget:

Doing well on discretionary, except we're out of shared (when a couple things clear). Time to start eating at home the rest of the month again. But I think we're doing pretty well considering how far we are into the month. I haven't used any of my discretionary in 7 days.

Edit oh yeah I should probably mention that child care costs will likely be cut $100/mo. Gonna watch my nephew and son in the morning before work for an hour 3 days a week in return for a $100 off every month in child care from my sister. +$100 to debt per month. Gonna leave the budget alone though. I'll just put excess to the debt paydown at the end of the month like normal.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 19, 2016

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
KG, I don't think your hosting business is a bad idea, but I think maybe it's the wrong idea right now. You're a programmer, you should be able to find some small freelance coding projects. Granted, you're going to have a ton of competition if you're doing elance/odesk stuff, but if you can score a few jobs and do good work you can probably make some decent side money.

I did this for a while (pre-kids) and way way way undercharged, but it was easy money for me and it was neat learning new use cases instead of the same old same old stuff from my day job. I feel like I've developed some nice relationships with these people, and some side money made me care a little less about feeling undervalued at my day job.

My first ever freelance client actually just contacted me last week to make an addition to his database he's been using to manage his project management / billing since 2008.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

It still surprises me the progress you've made. Good post Veskit. You're right I probably do try to take on too much myself I don't know.

Thank you, and I do appreciate the compliment, but I do want to know why it's surprising to you.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

dreesemonkey posted:

KG, I don't think your hosting business is a bad idea, but I think maybe it's the wrong idea right now. You're a programmer, you should be able to find some small freelance coding projects. Granted, you're going to have a ton of competition if you're doing elance/odesk stuff, but if you can score a few jobs and do good work you can probably make some decent side money.

I did this for a while (pre-kids) and way way way undercharged, but it was easy money for me and it was neat learning new use cases instead of the same old same old stuff from my day job. I feel like I've developed some nice relationships with these people, and some side money made me care a little less about feeling undervalued at my day job.

My first ever freelance client actually just contacted me last week to make an addition to his database he's been using to manage his project management / billing since 2008.

My only experience with odesk was a small project where I charged $120, and ended up doing like 13 hours of work. This was pre-my job, but yeah I just can't put in that time for that kind of return. However I will take a look again. I just signed up for one of them again in the past few months.

But yeah it's like I said I just want to pull in some extra money now so I can work towards bigger opportunities. If I could make $10,000 in profit I could do a lot with that.

Speaking of which: n8r you asked what skills I've done to increase my value? I learned WPF/UWP/Windows Universal frameworks in the past year to 1.5 years. UWP includes Windows 10/Windows Mobile app which is a small market, but still has millions of users. I've brushed up on my Linux skills. I've started contributing commits to open source projects (mostly Python based).

Since I started my job I've picked up: Dynamics AX 2004/2009 development, WPF/MVVM/XAML, ASP classic (modifications not new work), .net MVC, LESS css framework, Lucene database structure (I built it from scratch), T-SQL to a moderate degree, mobile development, responsive apps, SSRS, and more. My StackOverflow has consistently gotten more rep (which can help prove some competency, and helps SO careers).

I haven't been even close to stagnant. I don't believe in following the "hot new technology" because it's too finicky. I did that chasing nodejs/Ruby on Rails. I'm competent managing a database server, a web server (IIS, Apache, nginx are all things I currently run, and I setup AWS for my eBay image hosting), I've improved my knowledge of db normalization and design, etc.

Basically throw my in front of a system and I'll figure it out. Employers should understand that software development is beyond knowing a specific programming language.

e: and on top of that I am constantly trying to better my knowledge and compliance with OOP and readable dynamic reusable code. I don't see that going out of style anytime soon.

Veskit posted:

Thank you, and I do appreciate the compliment, but I do want to know why it's surprising to you.

You were objectively pretty angry before. Not just in this thread. It just seems like you've kind of relaxed a bit.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 19, 2016

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

You were objectively pretty angry before. Not just in this thread. It just seems like you've kind of relaxed a bit.

Why is that surprising though? I get that's the perception, but what's the surprise?

Am I making sense?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

Why is that surprising though? I get that's the perception, but what's the surprise?

Am I making sense?

Well the surprise to me is the rapid transition of course. I didn't see it as a gradual process. You parted from the thread angry, and came back level headed. Annoyingly persistent to get your message across sometimes (:arghfist:), but level headed.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Knyteguy posted:

My only experience with odesk was a small project where I charged $120, and ended up doing like 13 hours of work. This was pre-my job, but yeah I just can't put in that time for that kind of return. However I will take a look again. I just signed up for one of them again in the past few months.

But yeah it's like I said I just want to pull in some extra money now so I can work towards bigger opportunities. If I could make $10,000 in profit I could do a lot with that.

I've gotten stuck with some jobs that I put in way too much work for the money, but I got better sniffing out details before I jump in. I'm not recommending that. I feel like you should be able to maybe find some local businesses (not unlike that crazy boss who offered you a job) where they could maybe use some work done but can't justify a full-time employee. I dunno, maybe post up on craigslist or something as programmer for hire, you might find some small stuff to get started. At the very least you can use it as resume building and experience in different use cases / industries. In the best case, you may get some good contacts with some recurring work on the side.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

dreesemonkey posted:

I've gotten stuck with some jobs that I put in way too much work for the money, but I got better sniffing out details before I jump in. I'm not recommending that. I feel like you should be able to maybe find some local businesses (not unlike that crazy boss who offered you a job) where they could maybe use some work done but can't justify a full-time employee. I dunno, maybe post up on craigslist or something as programmer for hire, you might find some small stuff to get started. At the very least you can use it as resume building and experience in different use cases / industries. In the best case, you may get some good contacts with some recurring work on the side.

I like this. Good idea I will post an ad on Craigslist when I get a chance.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

Well the surprise to me is the rapid transition of course. I didn't see it as a gradual process. You parted from the thread angry, and came back level headed. Annoyingly persistent to get your message across sometimes (:arghfist:), but level headed.

So you're able to see that in other people, what transition do you have to make that would be helpful to you the most?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Veskit posted:

It surprises me, too. You were really harsh in years past and frankly made some threads really unpleasant - despite giving solid advice; I imagine people take what you have to say much more seriously now. It's a huge change in communication and it's surprising as many people won't put the effort in to change themselves. I commend you for that majorly.

I've gotten a lot from therapy, too, and I wager that KG would as well.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

So you're able to see that in other people, what transition do you have to make that would be helpful to you the most?

I knew you were baiting me dammit.

A rapid transition to being a millionaire wouldn't hurt. Let's go with that.

SiGmA_X posted:

It surprises me, too. You were really harsh in years past and frankly made some threads really unpleasant - despite giving solid advice; I imagine people take what you have to say much more seriously now. It's a huge change in communication and it's surprising as many people won't put the effort in to change themselves. I commend you for that majorly.

Well I have high hopes this time, so we'll see.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

SiGmA_X posted:

Thanks Sig, and I'm glad you've hit up the mental gym too. I'm fortunate to be surrounded by a lot of good people in my life in a lot of aspects that helped me get to where I am now.

Knyteguy posted:

I knew you were baiting me dammit.

A rapid transition to being a millionaire wouldn't hurt. Let's go with that.

I've hung out around a lot of millionaires. My dad owned a business where I'd deliver medical equipment like the chairs that go up so you can stand up easier, medical beds, things like that. I met an A lister when I went down to Socal for a delivery, just rich as gently caress people.

Never met a petulant, mean, depressed, selfish, or pompous in anyway. They were all super nice people who I would hang out with, and they happened to work hard. They also had everything in order even though I was coming over to deliver something for a tragedy that clearly had happened. I think if you want to be rich you'll have to work on figuring out how to make level headed decisions also, and spending less time chasing ways to feel better. It's offputing and people can read it.

What I'm trying to say is that I hope you understand the importance of talking to professionals about what's going on in your life and trusting them with helping you because this isn't just a feel good exercise. It'll help you in all parts of your life. I hope first you learn how to accept help.

Also I don't think you'd be that surprised if you believed in accepting help and hard work. That's really all it takes to get anywhere.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

I've hung out around a lot of millionaires. My dad owned a business where I'd deliver medical equipment like the chairs that go up so you can stand up easier, medical beds, things like that. I met an A lister when I went down to Socal for a delivery, just rich as gently caress people.

Never met a petulant, mean, depressed, selfish, or pompous in anyway. They were all super nice people who I would hang out with, and they happened to work hard. They also had everything in order even though I was coming over to deliver something for a tragedy that clearly had happened. I think if you want to be rich you'll have to work on figuring out how to make level headed decisions also, and spending less time chasing ways to feel better. It's offputing and people can read it.

e2: nvm, it doesn't matter actually

Yeah I get what you're saying. Rurutia's post about taking care of myself hit home. I feel my level headedness has gotten much better especially financially, but there's a lot of work to do emotionally I guess. I do want to be successful. And I'd like to not have these emotional dips where I start to feel like crap.

quote:

What I'm trying to say is that I hope you understand the importance of talking to professionals about what's going on in your life and trusting them with helping you because this isn't just a feel good exercise. It'll help you in all parts of your life. I hope first you learn how to accept help.

Also I don't think you'd be that surprised if you believed in accepting help and hard work. That's really all it takes to get anywhere.

As I said I waver. I don't feel the need for this when I'm doing really well. Right now I have an appointment so I think my actions have proved I'm up for this. And my toxx. I didn't set that without intention, despite many thinking so.

Edit:
To take some of the emotional stuff in my own hands - my wife and I intend on fixing our bikes up May 1st (probably April 30th or 31st actually since that's when the weekend starts). Gonna start adding some bike riding to the repertoire per advice.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 19, 2016

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Sometimes not accepting help or taking care of yourself when you are feeling good can increase or lead to times when you feel bad or overwhelmed. Just because you feel 100% A+ in this moment doesn't mean you won't have times that life gets you down.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

You've definitely been more level-headed recently but stress is one of the things that causes you to get more emotional and aggressive (towards your goals)/defensive (towards the thread). This is normal but also not helpful or productive.

You are currently going through a period of high stress and it will make you more prone to frustration and sometimes throw you into a negative headspace.

I don't know where I'm going with this -- please be aware of it, please understand this is what's happening if you find yourself unexpectedly frustrated/angry, please do not let it undo the real progress you have started making, please do not be discouraged if you seem to be going one step forward, two steps back.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Speaking of which: n8r you asked what skills I've done to increase my value? I learned WPF/UWP/Windows Universal frameworks in the past year to 1.5 years. UWP includes Windows 10/Windows Mobile app which is a small market, but still has millions of users. I've brushed up on my Linux skills. I've started contributing commits to open source projects (mostly Python based).

Since I started my job I've picked up: Dynamics AX 2004/2009 development, WPF/MVVM/XAML, ASP classic (modifications not new work), .net MVC, LESS css framework, Lucene database structure (I built it from scratch), T-SQL to a moderate degree, mobile development, responsive apps, SSRS, and more. My StackOverflow has consistently gotten more rep (which can help prove some competency, and helps SO careers).

I haven't been even close to stagnant. I don't believe in following the "hot new technology" because it's too finicky. I did that chasing nodejs/Ruby on Rails. I'm competent managing a database server, a web server (IIS, Apache, nginx are all things I currently run, and I setup AWS for my eBay image hosting), I've improved my knowledge of db normalization and design, etc.

Why is it, with all of these things you have learned, you have not been able to turn these skills either into higher paying jobs OR some sort of side business?

Additionally wasn't there some talk about you getting a raise at some point in Q1/2 2016? What's up with that?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

marchantia posted:

Sometimes not accepting help or taking care of yourself when you are feeling good can increase or lead to times when you feel bad or overwhelmed. Just because you feel 100% A+ in this moment doesn't mean you won't have times that life gets you down.

Alright I'll try to remember that through the good times.

Horking Delight posted:

You've definitely been more level-headed recently but stress is one of the things that causes you to get more emotional and aggressive (towards your goals)/defensive (towards the thread). This is normal but also not helpful or productive.

You are currently going through a period of high stress and it will make you more prone to frustration and sometimes throw you into a negative headspace.

I don't know where I'm going with this -- please be aware of it, please understand this is what's happening if you find yourself unexpectedly frustrated/angry, please do not let it undo the real progress you have started making, please do not be discouraged if you seem to be going one step forward, two steps back.

Yeah I'm in a bit of a negative headspace right now for sure. It sucks I've been in such a good mood lately, which I think was apparent in the thread.

I have been trying to think about how I'm feeling, and also why I'm feeling a certain way, more often.

I won't let it undo any progress. We're too close to the debt being paid off. Full speed ahead even if my emotions are trying to push me the other way.

n8r posted:

Why is it, with all of these things you have learned, you have not been able to turn these skills either into higher paying jobs OR some sort of side business?

Additionally wasn't there some talk about you getting a raise at some point in Q1/2 2016? What's up with that?

Ah good point I forgot about the raise. Yes that should come next month, or at least something should happen next month (middle of) towards that. I'll bring it up in around May 1st as a reminder to my boss.

Well I've tried with the higher paying jobs. You guys have seen me turn down two jobs that had $15,000 raises attached. Reno just doesn't have a great tech market.

Business stuff - that's what I want to do, but starting a business takes money. I'm basically at this step. I've toyed with the idea of getting a Windows UWP app on the store, but I need to figure out what app, and how it will be monetized. So far I haven't come up with much.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

It seems like the bad thought process is doing ok -> bad poo poo happens -> gently caress, I feel bad/worried/sad/guilty/whatever -> gently caress, I need to get my poo poo together for my wife/son/mom/whoever -> I can't be feeling like this or I'm failing everyone. Or something like that. And that last part seems to be where you get desperate and make crappy decisions. Smoke/drink/spend money/whatever. I feel like if you just learn ways to cope and identify your cycle you'll handle things much better. So yay therapy appointment basically.

Cheeze Kuyeh
Jul 5, 2008

i am monocle
Ace thread.

n8r posted:

He can't get a wonderstar dev job paying wonderbux because he isn't a professional level developer. Sure he can create things for companies and they work and it all seems OK, but as a sole developer at a 3 man outfit he's had no experience of working in a dev team, he's probably rarely ever code reviewed, he can't have pair programmed as he's the only dev, is there source control process, etc. This isn't knyteguy's fault, but his lack of experience of full professional dev environments show through in the response to that lead dev email he posted earlier, ie here's a task I've set just to see if you can actually code, I've clearly not thought through all the requirements because this is a simple task on the face of it to see if you're actually a dev. The correct answer is to code something simple that fulfills the basic task and then note where it could be improved with stuff like defensive code, security concerns, etc.

The less correct answer is to come back with a bunch of questions however relevant and then email the dude's boss when you don't hear back. I've never known a tech lead who isn't slammed with stuff all the time, but knyte hasn't ever worked with one. Sure he could code it, but if I wanted just code I'll outsource, if I'm hiring I need code plus a functional developer.

He's a junior to early mid dev. I don't know about salaries in Reno but he may not be doing too bad. All that tech he's listed, he'll only know a few pieces, he'll just be familiar with the rest. He should be playing it slow in finding the next step otherwise he'll be stuck in garage firms.

This isn't there to poo poo on you BTW knyte, I'm just giving some perspective from a hiring manager of developers as to why your expectations may be crashing into reality. You could well be a wonderdev but the evidence points to the contrary. Getting your spending under control would help your finances more than leaping at jobs

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Cheeze Kuyeh posted:

He can't get a wonderstar dev job paying wonderbux because he isn't a professional level developer. Sure he can create things for companies and they work and it all seems OK, but as a sole developer at a 3 man outfit he's had no experience of working in a dev team, he's probably rarely ever code reviewed, he can't have pair programmed as he's the only dev, is there source control process, etc. This isn't knyteguy's fault, but his lack of experience of full professional dev environments show through in the response to that lead dev email he posted earlier, ie here's a task I've set just to see if you can actually code, I've clearly not thought through all the requirements because this is a simple task on the face of it to see if you're actually a dev. The correct answer is to code something simple that fulfills the basic task and then note where it could be improved with stuff like defensive code, security concerns, etc.

The less correct answer is to come back with a bunch of questions however relevant and then email the dude's boss when you don't hear back. I've never known a tech lead who isn't slammed with stuff all the time, but knyte hasn't ever worked with one. Sure he could code it, but if I wanted just code I'll outsource, if I'm hiring I need code plus a functional developer.

He's a junior to early mid dev. I don't know about salaries in Reno but he may not be doing too bad. All that tech he's listed, he'll only know a few pieces, he'll just be familiar with the rest. He should be playing it slow in finding the next step otherwise he'll be stuck in garage firms.

This isn't there to poo poo on you BTW knyte, I'm just giving some perspective from a hiring manager of developers as to why your expectations may be crashing into reality. You could well be a wonderdev but the evidence points to the contrary. Getting your spending under control would help your finances more than leaping at jobs

edit: actually I'm not going to justify myself or my career or my abilities. There's no point I'm not going to get hired from this thread. I'm not at the top of my career pyramid, and I can absolutely get paid more. I'm not some wonderdev, no - I don't want to put in the time. But I'm also more than capable of getting a mid-level dev salary which is about $75,000-$90,000 here in Reno. Six figures is what I'm aiming for - that's my goal. I'd take $75,000 in the city of Reno or Sparks, though.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 20, 2016

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Hawkgirl posted:

It seems like the bad thought process is doing ok -> bad poo poo happens -> gently caress, I feel bad/worried/sad/guilty/whatever -> gently caress, I need to get my poo poo together for my wife/son/mom/whoever -> I can't be feeling like this or I'm failing everyone. Or something like that. And that last part seems to be where you get desperate and make crappy decisions. Smoke/drink/spend money/whatever. I feel like if you just learn ways to cope and identify your cycle you'll handle things much better. So yay therapy appointment basically.

For sure. Coping and stress are necessary skills for me to learn.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

KG - I think Cheeze is probably making some assumptions he shouldn't, but I do think he has some decent feedback as well. The fact of the matter is that you have spent a long time trying to find a new job without any luck. I think it is worth examining why you have not been able to get a new/better job.

If your goal is to make more money, I still think the shortest path is to get a higher paying job. You'd have to have ~16 clients at $75/month to get yourself a $15000 increase in income, and that's before any expenses.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

KG - I think Cheeze is probably making some assumptions he shouldn't, but I do think he has some decent feedback as well. The fact of the matter is that you have spent a long time trying to find a new job without any luck. I think it is worth examining why you have not been able to get a new/better job.

If your goal is to make more money, I still think the shortest path is to get a higher paying job. You'd have to have ~16 clients at $75/month to get yourself a $15000 increase in income, and that's before any expenses.

That's unfair. I was advised to turn down two jobs in the past 8 months that came with $15,000/yr raises by the thread. And that really was without much trying.

I'm not having luck because as I said - I've applied for one .net job in the past 3 years. Unfortunately it's DAX recruiters hitting me up and that's where 99% of my effort has gone. I almost got that job in San Diego but the partner couldn't get the budget for my salary. That would have been a kick rear end job, but it just didn't work out. That came with a rigorous 8 hour live coding session with the partner and a dev, lunch, and more, also. If I passed that (seriously the partner who was huge into OOP was ecstatic and told me "you will be getting an offer"), then I know my abilities aren't in question, if I'm realistic with my level. Software Dev II is where I'd put myself. http://www1.salary.com/Software-Developer-II-Salary.html. So like I said $75,000-$90,000 is where I should be.

Just have to apply for the right jobs in the right places. That's why I've had little success. I went from interview to offer in 3 days with that Carson City job. I'm competent with the interview process, I'm self-assured about what I can do, and I'm knowledgeable about what I cannot do.

I edited out all that stuff anyway. I felt like I was trying to prove that I'm capable, but I don't need to do that.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Knyteguy posted:

That's unfair. I was advised to turn down two jobs in the past 8 months that came with $15,000/yr raises by the thread. And that really was without much trying.

Yea, but you would have taken them if they made sense. You're not a martyr because we told you the job's didn't seem like a good fit, you made the final choice and they were anything but a no-brainer.

You don't need to defend your programming skills to anyone around here, earlier in the job search you were a self-proclaimed jr. developer so that's just what people are remembering. Of course you're getting better, you're just not sr. programmer at <big SV company> right now. No need to get on the defensive.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

dreesemonkey posted:

Yea, but you would have taken them if they made sense. You're not a martyr because we told you the job's didn't seem like a good fit, you made the final choice and they were anything but a no-brainer.

You don't need to defend your programming skills to anyone around here, earlier in the job search you were a self-proclaimed jr. developer so that's just what people are remembering. Of course you're getting better, you're just not sr. programmer at <big SV company> right now. No need to get on the defensive.

I'm doing my best to not come off as defensive. I don't think I'm a senior programmer (look at my response to n8r).

I also don't think I'm a martyr. My stomach aches a bit knowing I could be make $15,000 more per year, but I agree that taking them would be the wrong choice. Carson City I feel like I could have made work, but the boss was loving crazy so I know that passing that up was the right choice.

Yeesh you guys are getting defensive I cannot back up my decisions with yours at all sometimes :).

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Software Dev II is "junior-mid" level. Software Dev I is junior level (new grad level).

He might not have phrased it in the most diplomatic way, but he said literally the same thing you are saying while you get very defensive about him saying it.

Please reflect on that.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Horking Delight posted:

Software Dev II is "junior-mid" level. Software Dev I is junior level (new grad level).

He might not have phrased it in the most diplomatic way, but he said literally the same thing you are saying while you get very defensive about him saying it.

Please reflect on that.

I am not getting defensive. I in fact deleted my whole post in part because I was felt I probably came off wrong.

However, it is important to note that saying: "you're probably making about what you should make", when in fact I've entertained two recent offers for more is incorrect.

I feel like the thread should stop advising me to be less self confident and to accept the status quo please. That will never be me. And I say that with regards to everything in the thread. It's been awhile since I've backed up my confidence I admit, but that doesn't mean that I'm incompetent or incapable, and that's me laying it out there straight not me getting defensive.

A better way to approach these conversations would be: "to meet your goals here's how you could improve". I've said it before, I don't like being told what I can and cannot do. It just makes me mad and more headstrong to do it. If there are flaws then let's tackle them (ie my hosting business plan). I always appreciate that kind of input.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Knyteguy posted:

I am not getting defensive. I in fact deleted my whole post in part because I was felt I probably came off wrong.

However, it is important to note that saying: "you're probably making about what you should make", when in fact I've entertained two recent offers for more is incorrect.

I feel like the thread should stop advising me to be less self confident and to accept the status quo please. That will never be me. And I say that with regards to everything in the thread. It's been awhile since I've backed up my confidence I admit, but that doesn't mean that I'm incompetent or incapable, and that's me laying it out there straight not me getting defensive.

I don't think that's exactly the advice being given. Honestly, when I read Cheeze's post, what I got out of it was that you might have to take a slight downgrade or lateral move to get into a position where you're gaining valuable experience that the big spenders want.

• Locked thread