Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Mr. Carrier Pigeon posted:

I'm really liking Blast for it's multi target hits. You can spam it to shorten the animation and get decent results. Knockdown is good, too. Though I can see the appeal of Frag if it procs regularly enough.

It procs all the time. Seriously so much fun to use one as an instant "gently caress you" button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Hahahahaha Sypher's ban for account sharing got overturned not even 24 hours after it was instated, even after he went on record and blatantly admitted to account sharing with several people across all platforms and all regions.

Who cares.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Mr. Carrier Pigeon posted:

I'm really liking Blast for it's multi target hits. You can spam it to shorten the animation and get decent results. Knockdown is good, too. Though I can see the appeal of Frag if it procs regularly enough.
Crystal frag is ridiculously good. Huge damage and no cast time at half cost. You shouldnt really (well, do whatever you like, but it's not oooptimal) be using blast/frag for dpsing. If you do something like weave light attacks and force pulse, while casting frag when it procs (which is very often), you'll get much better results. If that's your thing~~~

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Soulex posted:

It procs all the time. Seriously so much fun to use one as an instant "gently caress you" button.

valuum posted:

Crystal frag is ridiculously good. Huge damage and no cast time at half cost. You shouldnt really (well, do whatever you like, but it's not oooptimal) be using blast/frag for dpsing. If you do something like weave light attacks and force pulse, while casting frag when it procs (which is very often), you'll get much better results. If that's your thing~~~

Welp, looks like I'll have to visit the shrine. I did have to think about it for a minute when the morph came up but I thought "ehh, what if it doesn't proc enough?". And drat do I have to work on weaving with staves. I do not have it down at all. Really liking my magsorc but don't have the play style down yet in most ways. Still pretty drat effective, though.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Ancient Orc motif is up for sale this week.

If you like spending 50 bucks on a crafting style

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

bradybunch posted:

dragonknight tankin'

Sadly, the great exodus of theorycrafters coincided with the change to stamina regen while blocking, so there aren't many updated tank builds out there to copy/paste. What you'll find is old tanks running old builds who never really got the memo, and new tanks who think tanking is just dpsing in heavy armor (although light/medium armor tanking with armor master is an interesting twist!)

I am one of those unimaginative old tanks, so here's what I do:

The Build:

bar 1 1h/s (tankin'): absorb magicka + igneous shield + pierce armor + heroic slash + green dragon blood (u) magma shell
bar 2 1h/s (buff): absorb magicka/flex + invasion/empowering chains/flex + inner rage/razor caltrops/flex + choking talons + hardened armor (u) aggressive war horn/reviving barrier/standard of might

Maintain dragon blood and hardened armor at all times. Pierce armor everybody (duh), heroic slash occasionally for minor maim (15% less damage done) and ultimate. Heavy weave (hold left mouse button until animation starts, then use skill to cancel it) those two skills if the situation allows it, it'll keep your stamina up. If there's a lot of trash, use choking talons to apply minor maim to all of them (even if they are immune to the root, it still works!) Also, if nobody else is using it and you have it, caltrops is a poor man's AOE taunt, but this is optional (I have caltrops, and I still generally leave inner rage in that slot). If there's a boss with a heavy-hitting ranged attack (e.g. Nerien'eth, Rilis), use inner fire on them and keep up absorb magicka. You'll turn something dangerous for your dps into a nice heal for you.

Gear:

6 heavy/1 medium consisting of Footman gloves, belt, and jewelry (hard to find v14 gloves, v13 is fine for any of these), Engine Guardian helm and shoulders (I do medium infused/heavy reinforced, but really anything's ok), and heavy Hist Bark everywhere else. Reinforced traits on armor and shields (+16% armor and spell res), defending on weapons, health enchants on armor (hakeijo on infused if you're rich), shield enchant on weapons, and stamina cost reduction on jewelry (applies to block and break free cost, too!). Frothgar max health/mag regen drink. Atronach mundus. Get the health you need for what you're doing (e.g. 27k is plenty for vet dungeons), then put your remaining attribute points into stamina. Note: armor and spell resist over 33k is wasted!

Champion Points:

Warrior: Stack Lady/Elemental Defender and Lady/Hardy. When you have Lady 30 (Shield Expert: ~1500 more armor/spell res), you are free to start adding a few points in Lord/Quick Recovery and even fewer points in Lord/Bastion. But mostly keep stacking Elemental Defender and Hardy.

Thief: Start with Shadow/Shadow Ward for block cost reduction. Once you are happy with that, switch to Lover/Arcanist for magicka regen, with occasional points in Tower/Magician and Warlord for magicka and stamina cost reduction.

Mage: The least important, and since I go stamina dps in normal dungeons (also why I choose green dragon blood over coagulating), I split blues between Ritual/Mighty (dps) and Apprentice/Blessed (tankin'). If you only want to tank, get all the Blessed you can, and shoot for Riposte at Atronach 30.

How It Works:

With Footman/Hist Bark, you should basically be maxed out on toughness so long as you have resources. You'll actually feel like a tank! But how do you get resources, especially when Footman/Hist Bark require blocking and you won't generate stamina passively?

Stack magicka regen and max stamina. Magicka regen will keep you alive by giving you continuous access to hardened armor, dragon blood, and to a lesser extent igneous shield. Note that none of these skills actually scale off your max magicka. So you are free to run around with minimal max magicka and instead stack max stamina.

Get stamina regen in other ways. If you know the fights well, then you know when you have to block and when it's safe to heavy attack weave for stamina (and if you don't, magma shell will give you a few seconds of confidence). Using your ult gives you stamina (and health and magicka) from Earthen Heart/Battle Roar. And using any Earthen Heart ability gives you 5% of your max stamina back. Lastly, engine guardian gives you stamina 1/3 of the time, and in the other 1/3 of the time when it gives you magicka, you can spam igneous shield to get stamina as well (spam it a couple more times after the beam is done, this will frequently give you another engine guardian proc).

e: Updated Champion Points for Dark Brotherhood.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 21, 2016

bradybunch
Jun 14, 2006

Wow I wish I read all that before I crafted/bought all this new gear :downs:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

bradybunch posted:

Wow I wish I read all that before I crafted/bought all this new gear :downs:

Ennuid or I can probably hook you up with some stuff.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
So I started over on the US server because that's what I was gonna do on the EU server anyway and apparently your veteran unlocks don't carry over. Boo. Ah well, probably gonna hook up with you guys in a bit and get my free stuff that way.

Edit: Account name's the same as here, someone toss me an invite so I can start stealing your precious goon secrets.

Morglon fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Apr 15, 2016

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
I decided to give this game another go now some of my friends have been playing for the last few days - I made a Templar but I have no idea what the hell for skills to choose. Please Abby, help me. Is there a Templar levelling guide or something?

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Morglon posted:

So I started over on the US server because that's what I was gonna do on the EU server anyway and apparently your veteran unlocks don't carry over. Boo. Ah well, probably gonna hook up with you guys in a bit and get my free stuff that way.

Edit: Account name's the same as here, someone toss me an invite so I can start stealing your precious goon secrets.

Welcome to the club :getin:

Commissar Kip posted:

I decided to give this game another go now some of my friends have been playing for the last few days - I made a Templar but I have no idea what the hell for skills to choose. Please Abby, help me. Is there a Templar levelling guide or something?

PC NA? If so, we're here to assist you. Please read this free brochure and choose a plan that fits for you. Also, ennuid makes dankplars. Listen to him.

k3dj
Aug 21, 2015
just got the game can i get a guild invite stewie wayne

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Morglon posted:

Keep getting an account not found message. Hit me up ingame, same name as here.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Odd, got the invite just fine, thanks.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Dear radiosuitcase (if you even read this thread),

Thanks for loving over everyone who was using the daggerfall goon guild as a guild storage bank by looting all the craft mats and potions.

E: That being said, goons decided to get another guild bank going, so if you're PC NA and in the Ebonheart guild, give me a heads up if you need some more space.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 17, 2016

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Shoot me an invite for the new guild. I have a bunch of mats I can put in there.

My net sucked to the point of unplayability the last few days (since I am a scrub and can't figure out why). And I am gone for work (yes I have a job) this week.

I am really liking a Frankenstein Magicka DK regen build. All heavy 5 willows, 4 Oblivion, both always up. I think it is a tank maybe. Regen without buffs comes in at about 1600 mag, 2500 hp, 1400 Stam. He is only v7 so I think these numbers will go up. I think he might run well in a group, but I haven't dungeon tested him yet. He is so slow that he might only be useful in boss fights since you guys usually kill everything before I can press a button.

He runs the embers, shard, whip dk self heals as main attacks on a DW bar which still only gives him around 1500 spell power, 25% crit so it takes a while to kill things, but he can fight a bunch of things at once. They die slowly, but even in sewers he can mostly just stand around getting hit for a long time and killing things (slowly) heals him beyond that. Embers can stack on multiple mobs, etc. structured entropy for the buff and another self heal. Talons and Shards set up the whip to work as a self heal. SnB on the back bar with all the DK buffs and taunt. Amusingly I am running The Steed mundus. 10 attribute points in hp, the rest in Magicka and I think I might be able to get away with straight Magicka. In sewers, pvp, Wrothgar and caldwells he can take a lot of punishment without having to perma block, though the Stam regen is sufficient for a fair amount of blocking and rolling. He has no special jewelry or wep enchants yet.

He is very straightforward to play. I just need to get use to throwing ults more regularly. He is a vamp and actually needs to manage that to keep it at stage one or two. Surprisingly he does well against flame attacks.

bar 1:
Embers, shards, whip, talons, entropy, leap (for some attack and gap- he uses a lot of regular attacks so Ult regens well)

Bar 2:
Pierce Armor (or heroic slash for Ult or charge), coag blood, igneous shield, hardened armor, reflect (or inhale for dungeons prob), magma she'll (though corrosive might actually be better for tanking and pvp), sometimes Bats.

I only have about 300 cp at this point and they are basically all in regen, redux, and resists. I will start adding self heal, though I am unclear how well it buffs the heals from attacks.

Challenges for which you might have answers?
- anything else I can do to max regen/self heal? Already running tri stat regen drink, multi stat pots (which work great on the lizard, may level his alchemy) and using igneous shield/coagulating blood. I might try some immovable pots.
- I am having trouble fitting both a taunt and charge at the same time while keeping the necessary buffs. Not sure what I can lose.
- also defensive stance would be nice, but he is not really block based and has no point in block/bash redux beyond passives.
- I know this build is an anathema, but any suggestions toward min/max the idea?
- he has no form of purge.

As an aside. Trap from the fighters guild is indeed too fiddly for use on Stam builds I think. Cast. 1.5 seconds to arm. Maybe something actually triggers it. Short buff. Not worth it.

Well. Back next week.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Trying to change my email and password on my account because it is linked to a deleted school email address. One of the questions they ask is 'The answer to the secret question?'. So not only do you have to remember the secret answer you have to remember the question as well. Joy.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Sogol posted:

Shoot me an invite for the new guild. I have a bunch of mats I can put in there.

My net sucked to the point of unplayability the last few days (since I am a scrub and can't figure out why). And I am gone for work (yes I have a job) this week.

I am really liking a Frankenstein Magicka DK regen build. All heavy 5 willows, 4 Oblivion, both always up. I think it is a tank maybe. Regen without buffs comes in at about 1600 mag, 2500 hp, 1400 Stam. He is only v7 so I think these numbers will go up. I think he might run well in a group, but I haven't dungeon tested him yet. He is so slow that he might only be useful in boss fights since you guys usually kill everything before I can press a button.

He runs the embers, shard, whip dk self heals as main attacks on a DW bar which still only gives him around 1500 spell power, 25% crit so it takes a while to kill things, but he can fight a bunch of things at once. They die slowly, but even in sewers he can mostly just stand around getting hit for a long time and killing things (slowly) heals him beyond that. Embers can stack on multiple mobs, etc. structured entropy for the buff and another self heal. Talons and Shards set up the whip to work as a self heal. SnB on the back bar with all the DK buffs and taunt. Amusingly I am running The Steed mundus. 10 attribute points in hp, the rest in Magicka and I think I might be able to get away with straight Magicka. In sewers, pvp, Wrothgar and caldwells he can take a lot of punishment without having to perma block, though the Stam regen is sufficient for a fair amount of blocking and rolling. He has no special jewelry or wep enchants yet.

He is very straightforward to play. I just need to get use to throwing ults more regularly. He is a vamp and actually needs to manage that to keep it at stage one or two. Surprisingly he does well against flame attacks.

bar 1:
Embers, shards, whip, talons, entropy, leap (for some attack and gap- he uses a lot of regular attacks so Ult regens well)

Bar 2:
Pierce Armor (or heroic slash for Ult or charge), coag blood, igneous shield, hardened armor, reflect (or inhale for dungeons prob), magma she'll (though corrosive might actually be better for tanking and pvp), sometimes Bats.

I only have about 300 cp at this point and they are basically all in regen, redux, and resists. I will start adding self heal, though I am unclear how well it buffs the heals from attacks.

Challenges for which you might have answers?
- anything else I can do to max regen/self heal? Already running tri stat regen drink, multi stat pots (which work great on the lizard, may level his alchemy) and using igneous shield/coagulating blood. I might try some immovable pots.
- I am having trouble fitting both a taunt and charge at the same time while keeping the necessary buffs. Not sure what I can lose.
- also defensive stance would be nice, but he is not really block based and has no point in block/bash redux beyond passives.
- I know this build is an anathema, but any suggestions toward min/max the idea?
- he has no form of purge.

As an aside. Trap from the fighters guild is indeed too fiddly for use on Stam builds I think. Cast. 1.5 seconds to arm. Maybe something actually triggers it. Short buff. Not worth it.

Well. Back next week.

Yeah I tossed you an invite as soon as we picked it up.

ShadowMoo posted:

Trying to change my email and password on my account because it is linked to a deleted school email address. One of the questions they ask is 'The answer to the secret question?'. So not only do you have to remember the secret answer you have to remember the question as well. Joy.

Might have to submit a ticket then. Though I doubt you'll make much progress, as they've got a pretty poo poo CS record :shrug:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I (GaiusTacitus) am in the process of moving so it will be a bit before I can play again, but I'll be back on once I'm settled into my new place.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I have been hoarding mats on my own for whatever comes. I'll happily donate the stacks of poo poo that I have if it is no longer in danger of being yoinked.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

FYI all I just yoinked all the alchemy and provisioning mats out of Ebonheart Goons and put them into Lusty Argoonian Maids, then yoinked all the inorganic mats for woodworking/clothing/blacksmithing and put them into Ebonheart Goons.

This was principally because I am anal and wanted to organize things better.

If anyone has an issue with this, just go ahead and mix them all back up again.

Enchanting mats are currently all in Deconstruct Circle Jerk, but I think a lot of people aren't in that guild so just say if I should put them into Maids or Ebonheart.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Can I get an invite to both? @soulex555

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Good, having all that poo poo sorted well makes it easier for me to use it for my nefarious purposes. lovely puns and quoting TV shows mostly.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Pretty sure every member of the deconstruct circle jerk can invite, if not I can invite people tomorrow or tuesday, my last 2 days I'll be able to use my PC for a while. I'm in another launch era goon guild, Congenital Mudcrabs but I think I'm the only person still active in it. Can't remember what it's purpose was

DoctoRadox
Nov 7, 2010
There's been a lot of talk regarding a bug with shuffle/stacking dodge chance, does anyone with knowledge on this care to share? I pvp just about every day and have come across players myself where I attack and attack all day long and almost all my hits go right through them without them dodge rolling, I would've chalked it up to just having bad luck but it seems a lot of other people are having the same problem.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

DoctoRadox posted:

There's been a lot of talk regarding a bug with shuffle/stacking dodge chance, does anyone with knowledge on this care to share? I pvp just about every day and have come across players myself where I attack and attack all day long and almost all my hits go right through them without them dodge rolling, I would've chalked it up to just having bad luck but it seems a lot of other people are having the same problem.

Some people say it's an exploit, Zenimax is claiming that it's not. But if anything's an indicator, the fact that they're shoving all threads explicitly showing the devs how the exploit is done under the rug is pretty telling.

I'd post the information about how to do it, but I'm not even sure if the way I tried works, and I'm not going to risk myself in case ol' Doomy still reads the thread.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If you guys are talking about what I think you are talking about then it's an exploit that has been around for an eternity too. I always assumed it had something to do with how the dodge rolls interact with latency and not related to an intentional exploit (beyond rolling a lot).

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Some basic info for the upcoming DB DLC.
http://massivelyop.com/2016/04/20/blood-will-flow-elder-scrolls-online-video-previews-dark-brotherhood-dlc

quote:

DARK BROTHERHOOD: FIRST LOOK
04.19.2016 Announcements, Dark Brotherhood
Shhh! We’re giving you a sneak peek at the next killer DLC game pack for The Elder Scrolls Online, and you won’t want to miss it.

Your talent for homicide has been noticed, and an invitation has arrived—to join the Dark Brotherhood! You’ll visit the Gold Coast, the westernmost region of the old Empire, where you’ll find opportunity, intrigue … and murder.

As with our previous updates, Dark Brotherhood will come in two parts: the DLC game pack, and the base game patch. Below is a brief summary of what you can expect in each. We’ll be going into more detail about the DLC game pack and base-game patch very soon including the release dates, price, and deep-dive articles.

DARK BROTHERHOOD DLC GAME PACK FEATURES & CONTENT

Join the Dark Brotherhood and become an assassin for hire
Visit the Gold Coast, available to characters of all levels, where you can explore Anvil and Kvatch for the first time since The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Hours of exciting story content and quests that will have you revisiting your favorite areas of Tamriel
New, repeatable quest content involving Contracts and the Black Sacrament
Challenging new group bosses and delves to conquer
A new passive skill line exclusive to members of the Dark Brotherhood
Unique costumes, motifs and item sets inspired by the deadly Dark Brotherhood

BASE GAME PATCH FEATURES & CONTENT

The removal of Veteran Ranks
Poison-Making, for those who want to be especially nasty to their enemies
Toggle-able nameplates for all characters
Character name display for Xbox One and PlayStation®4
Item locking to help prevent accidental deconstruction of your most valuable items
Further improvements and new features to the Grouping Tool including a group ready check, vote-to-kick system, and updated queue timer
Tons of updates to the Crown Store including additional character slots, motif previews, and hats
Craft Bags for ESO Plus members
Improvements and adjustments to Item Traits
Ongoing Cyrodiil performance improvements
Sanctum Ophidia Trial scaling, rebalancing and the addition of a Normal and Veteran mode
Balance improvements to combat and gameplay abilities including the Fighters Guild skill line, Vampires and stamina abilities
…and more!
In addition, we have numerous changes and improvements for previous DLC game packs including a new District capture system for Imperial City, and rebalancing for the Imperial City dungeons.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Really looking forward to that new and improved Reverse Slice, it's gonna be a zerg-killer for sure!

To be fair, the poison crafting poo poo should have been base game from the get go. Also, further nerfs to Imperial City dungeons, lol.

Where the gently caress are my Veteran Selene's Web and Direfrost Keep, Zenimax?

E: And of course, they're loving nerfing Veteran City of Ash, Veteran White-Gold Tower, and Veteran Imperial City Prison.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 20, 2016

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

That all looks pretty dope.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Ooh, the abandoned District Capture system in IC is making a comeback, nice.

I swear if this makes me kill Naryu Virian or something I will loving melt down.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

Ooh, the abandoned District Capture system in IC is making a comeback, nice.

I swear if this makes me kill Naryu Virian or something I will loving melt down.
I hope I get the option of defecting and helping the Morag Tong.
Just on principle.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Scyantific posted:

Where the gently caress are my Veteran Selene's Web and Direfrost Keep, Zenimax?

E: And of course, they're loving nerfing Veteran City of Ash, Veteran White-Gold Tower, and Veteran Imperial City Prison.

quote:

BASE GAME PATCH FEATURES & CONTENT

The removal of Veteran Ranks

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Allllllright I am giving into my MMO thirst and trying this again, I got through the first two zones last time and stopped for no real reason.

Starting over, ebonheart Pact, probably sorcerer, probably Altmer because passives. I still know jack poo poo about the game and what decisions are and aren't permanent/important or what weapon combos are good or crap or really anything so here we goooooo

Degs fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 21, 2016

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Degs posted:

Allllllright I am giving into my MMO thirst and trying this again, I got through the first two zones last time and stopped for no real reason.

Starting over, ebonheart Pact, probably sorcerer, probably Altmer because passives. I still know jack poo poo about the game and what decisions are and aren't permanent/important or what weapon combos are good or crap or really anything so here we goooooo

Until race, class, and faction changes come to the cash shop at premium prices, they are the only things that are permanent.

NA PC? Toss up your user ID (the @name you have) and we'll get you an invite into the goon guild and the goon guild bank.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Scyantific posted:

Until race, class, and faction changes come to the cash shop at premium prices, they are the only things that are permanent.

NA PC? Toss up your user ID (the @name you have) and we'll get you an invite into the goon guild and the goon guild bank.

That's not too bad then. Yup yup, NA PC, name is @Degren and ended up rolling Breton

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

We should say NA PC EP

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

We should say NA PC EP

Faction is largely irrelevant at this point, and only matters if you want to do PvP with goons.

Maybe sporks will come back once vet ranks are removed (highly doubt it though, PvP will still be a massive clusterfuck).

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>
I'm a TESO noob and would benefit greatly from goon handholding probably, can I get an invite? Account name 'cjdjkobe'

tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Gromit
Jan 23, 2016

No more cheese,
only death
Any goon guilds on PS4 EU?

Dead Gromit fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 22, 2016

• Locked thread