Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

It totally has a damage multiplier effect. The same summon spell is doing 700-1,000 damage normally and anywhere from like 1,700-2,400 when Blasted.

As far as I can tell, Spellcrafts deal damage on top of the regular spell. So Blast will deal 1x the spell's damage, but that's on top of the original spell's damage. Essentially it ends up doubling the damage. Which is fair, since you're using two BP. Otherwise what would be the point in using Spellcraft when you could double cast the spell instead and save the ability slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So... How long does it take until stuff starts getting original again after you do the New Game+?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
"This Is Our Coup de Gravy!" sounds way cooler than it has any right to. This game. :supaburn:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 20, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

So... How long does it take until stuff starts getting original again after you do the New Game+?

Remember: Bravely Second.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Regalingualius posted:

As long as you want it to take.

Remember, your goal here is to beat Kaiser Oblivion

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Regalingualius posted:

lol I screwed this part up when I did it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

As long as you want it to take.

Remember, your goal here is to beat Kaiser Oblivion

Wait, so...

You have to restart twice?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Wait, so...

You have to restart twice?

No.

You have a boss fight with Kaiser Oblivion when you NG+.

Beat him.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

No.

You have a boss fight with Kaiser Oblivion when you NG+.

Beat him.

The one at the very start?

...gently caress, I've had Yew set up as my healer all game.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

The one at the very start?

...gently caress, I've had Yew set up as my healer all game.

Terper posted:

Remember: Bravely Second.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

SEnd Player

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Wow, the intro to this game really does spoil literally everything from the first game.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

alcharagia posted:

Wow, the intro to this game really does spoil literally everything from the first game.

Yeah, and it wasn't really necessary. Most of the story has nothing to do with Default.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I'm sad that weapons aren't displayed when you're using Triple/Quad Wield.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

DoctorX posted:

Yeah, and it wasn't really necessary. Most of the story has nothing to do with Default.

It has a lot to do with Default, just not the things that are brought up in the intro :v:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Based on the costume design and whatnot, I think the idea isn't that you're literally wearing them on your head and more that you're just sacrificing armor to carry more weapons on your back, which you can apparently draw fast enough to hit with in a combo.

Edit: I mean, it's also the weapon throwing class. The theme is grabbing weapons and using them really fast.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 20, 2016

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Added myself to the list on Google docs and am slowly going through and adding everyone else.

Makes me feel like I am part of some pyramid scheme. "Just add your name to the end of the list and then send a dollar to everyone before you..."

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Except instead of sending dollars, you're sending badass special moves which hit for 999,999 damage.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
As a reminder:
Just because it SAYS 999,999 on the send menu doesn't mean it will actually do that damage.

There was a rash of people sending a 999,999 damage 'attack' which was really just using a time stopped elixier on an undead enemy. So it would just heal any not-undead enemy to full.

There's also things like current buffs, debuffs, and elemental weaknesses to take into account. If those don't match up, the damage on your move won't either. Don't just game the system to get a high number, send something ACTUALLY useful and that realistically lines up with the numbers.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Sending elixirs on the earth crystal boss in the first one was popular, as I recall :v:

And Dark Nebula :unsmigghh:

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

As a reminder:
Just because it SAYS 999,999 on the send menu doesn't mean it will actually do that damage.

There was a rash of people sending a 999,999 damage 'attack' which was really just using a time stopped elixier on an undead enemy. So it would just heal any not-undead enemy to full.

There's also things like current buffs, debuffs, and elemental weaknesses to take into account. If those don't match up, the damage on your move won't either. Don't just game the system to get a high number, send something ACTUALLY useful and that realistically lines up with the numbers.

i'm pretty sure any active buffs on the character when you send the attack will be factored in when other people summon it.

like, when you put your cursor on a move to summon it tells you what buffs they have.

Inflammatory fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 20, 2016

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Inflammatory posted:

i'm pretty sure any active buffs on the character when you send the attack will be factored in when other people summon it.

like, when you put your cursor on a move to summon it tells you what buffs they have.

Well, unless they changed it for the sequel, it reported the damage dealt, so enemy debuffs would cause the number to appear bigger than it actually was, resulting in summons that were generally much less powerful than they said they were.

In short, try not to do that.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I'll always fondly remember the time I summoned someone's Edea that said it dealt 65,000 damage, only to have it heal the boss because it absorbed fire.

About the events in Hartschild, it's just weird that the plot point at this part of the game is "Everyone in the town has vanished!" but then it gives me a side story where the town is suddenly filled with people again and nobody in the party goes "Wait how come everybody's back now?" It's probably because you can do the side story after the people come back to the town, but it'd be nice if there had been some sort of way to make it work with the events going on when it first becomes available.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

About the events in Hartschild, it's just weird that the plot point at this part of the game is "Everyone in the town has vanished!" but then it gives me a side story where the town is suddenly filled with people again and nobody in the party goes "Wait how come everybody's back now?" It's probably because you can do the side story after the people come back to the town, but it'd be nice if there had been some sort of way to make it work with the events going on when it first becomes available.

The same thing would happen in the first game if you ever did Praline's sidequest after Chapter 4. Your Grandship, not the location on the world map, is the one the quest triggers on, which doesn't make sense given that all of the inhabitants on the ship should have long since departed.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Well, unless they changed it for the sequel, it reported the damage dealt, so enemy debuffs would cause the number to appear bigger than it actually was, resulting in summons that were generally much less powerful than they said they were.

In short, try not to do that.

For example, my 999999 was a lightning move against a low-def enemy with innate lightning weakness, debuffed with some more lightning weakness and -50% def.

It's still going to do well above 100-200k against pretty much everything, but you're not getting a million out of it. Still better than the 9999 one I had before I did this for the >500k title, so I don't feel bad about sending it.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah, you really need to pay attention to the name of the attack to avoid screw ups. My listed attack is a 9000 damage Aero-Aero Hammer, so don't summon it against anything that absorbs Wind or has a stupid-high physical defense.

Let's talk about Ba'als: for Turtledove, is there anything at all you can do to prevent or cure the 'besotted' status? Because if it ever hit more than one person I would be completely hosed. Also wondering whether anyone knows if a Ba'al's level changes their drop/steal tables.

e: seriously, get Revenge and Damage Dispersal on all your dudes ASAP, I just had a perfect 10 streak chain in Grapp Keep thanks to those passives and Precognition/Whisker Sense.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 20, 2016

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Rangpur posted:

Yeah, you really need to pay attention to the name of the attack to avoid screw ups. My listed attack is a 9000 damage Aero-Aero Hammer, so don't summon it against anything that absorbs Wind or has a stupid-high physical defense.

Let's talk about Ba'als: for Turtledove, is there anything at all you can do to prevent or cure the 'besotted' status? Because if it ever hit more than one person I would be completely hosed. Also wondering whether anyone knows if a Ba'al's level changes their drop/steal tables.

e: seriously, get Revenge and Damage Dispersal on all your dudes ASAP, I just had a perfect 10 streak chain in Grapp Keep thanks to those passives and Precognition/Whisker Sense.

If you can use Calm right after it inflicts that status, when it does the other atack to kill the besotted characters no one will die and they'll go back to normal.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

What.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Jeez, way to make a guy feel inadequate. Guess I'll go punch my Ba'als until I feel better.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Rangpur posted:

Jeez, way to make a guy feel inadequate. Guess I'll go punch my Ba'als until I feel better.

Yeah I'm level ~45 in Chapter 3 and I think the most I've got is like 5 in a row. Guh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Considering their team is entirely ninjas I assume they used the "gain BP on evasion" trick which allows for easy combos.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

With Monk you at least get access to hilarious dual wield / quad wield / knuckle lore builds that hit like a goddamn truck.

You can't equip knuckles on the head or body. What am I missing here, exactly?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So, is it just me or does the Growth Egg not allow JP to go past 999? :argh:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, is it just me or does the Growth Egg not allow JP to go past 999? :argh:

Correct. You can't gain more than 999 JP per battle which makes grinding out the last few levels of a class a chore, even at 4x speed.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

ZZT the Fifth posted:

You can't equip knuckles on the head or body. What am I missing here, exactly?

With Knuckle Lore empty hands are boosted too and grow more powerful as you level up, eventually beating all but the the very best knuckle weapons. Combine that with Quad Wield and your Head/Armor slots while wearing normal armor will count as extra fists since they have no weapons equipped.

I'm not sure that Dual Wield actually does anything in that setup though - at least on the stat screen it shows no change for me.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

fezball posted:

With Knuckle Lore empty hands are boosted too and grow more powerful as you level up, eventually beating all but the the very best knuckle weapons. Combine that with Quad Wield and your Head/Armor slots while wearing normal armor will count as extra fists since they have no weapons equipped.

I'm not sure that Dual Wield actually does anything in that setup though - at least on the stat screen it shows no change for me.

Really? Because I'm only getting one attack barehanded instead of three with Knuckle Lore, Triple Wield, and Dual Wield going, with no weapons equipped.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I've just started on the demo. Are physical skills completely useless, or am I doing something wrong. I have yet to see a reason to use physical over magic.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 20, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Butt Ghost posted:

I've just started on the demo. Are physical skills completely useless, or am I doing something wrong. I have yet to see a reason to use physical over magic.

I've gotten decent mileage out of the Hawkeye in the demo, but you don't get that Asterisk until later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The demo seems to be weighted in favor of magical strategies. If it's anything like the first game, physical attacks will eventually overtake them but they give you the Wizard asterisk first for a reason. Spellcraft will never not be useful.

One of the things I like about the side stories is that the party makes a spirited defense of your choice, regardless of which one you pick.

• Locked thread