Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

According to Reddit, NG+ is not separated from NG for multiplayer. It's just SL and weapon upgrade matching.

This is just a random Reddit post but people there were testing all kinds of poo poo in the JP version so I'm inclined to believe it until proven otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

strangemusic posted:

I was making GBS threads myself about the Giant Slaves inside the Cathedral, but then I realized... you can kill them! It just never struck me that I would be able to do any meaningful damage to them because, well, they're giant, but apparently that's just :darksouls: for you.

Do you get anything for killing Shai-Hulud besides satisfaction?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
tfw you run out of estus so you're like I'M JUST GONNA RUN FOR IT and you end up finding the second Irithyl Valley bonfire :unsmith:

Orv
May 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

If you mean the right worm, you get a bone shard.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Orv posted:

I want to personally strangle anyone who gets summoned for an area defense covenant and then wants to honorabu fight. loving imbeciles.

Why are you not playing the serious PVP game like I tell you to?!

The only people playing serious Dark Souls pvp wrong are those who insist other people are playing it wrong.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

I knew I liked Kirk Armor, but I never realized how much. :allears:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Elerion posted:

Why are you not playing the serious PVP game like I tell you to?!

The only people playing serious Dark Souls pvp wrong are those who insist other people are playing it wrong.

You're wrong.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

The NPCs in this game are seriously lacking. Most of them don't have nearly enough dialogue, and the questlines make little sense after you've checked a guide to see what to do and no sense at all before that. Who knew that being stuck in a prison cell won't stop you from saving someones life, but not meeting someone in a kitchen earlier on certainly will.

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue

RBA Starblade posted:

Orv posted:

If you mean the right worm, you get a bone shard.

Also a miracle.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Sword and board people, what are your ring setups? I have chloranthy and then just a bunch of stuff to buff my pyromancy because I don't really see anything else that stands out as especially good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RBA Starblade posted:

Bless the maker, his comings and his goings.

You get Lightning Stake which is a pretty sweet miracle. No melange :argh:

MooCowlian posted:

Sword and board people, what are your ring setups? I have chloranthy and then just a bunch of stuff to buff my pyromancy because I don't really see anything else that stands out as especially good.

chloranthy and ring of favor and protection are the standard starting swordfighter kit, could use Havel's depending on your armor, maybe the enemy stamina-breaking ring.

The spell buff rings for pyromancy and magic and stuff are pretty huge if you're using magic.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MooCowlian posted:

Depending on how you're playing it's not a terrible idea to just use all the benefits for minor penalties rings: Prisoner's, FaP, Bloodring. If you need those pyromancy rings though, I'd probably stick with them.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

MooCowlian posted:

Yeah that's basically it. I use milkring because it looks cool, the two pyromancy rings and an estus ring. Sometimes I swap the milkring out with sage ring if I find myself casting a lot more fire orbs than usual. If I'm doing a lot of melee & dodging, I'll equip the flynn ring, which increases attack rating if you have light equip load.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Nion posted:

The NPCs in this game are seriously lacking. Most of them don't have nearly enough dialogue, and the questlines make little sense after you've checked a guide to see what to do and no sense at all before that. Who knew that being stuck in a prison cell won't stop you from saving someones life, but not meeting someone in a kitchen earlier on certainly will.

At least most of them have creepy laughs

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Couldn't wait to brag about icing Dancer on the first try in NG+.

Fucker.
I remembered to throw on the Symbol after killing Yhorm but never got to after Dancer and thus missed over 100k extra souls :(

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm starting a second playthrough, and I'd like to go speedy sorceror with a dagger for backup. I guess a slow start is to be expected, but when does the build get good? Vordt went down on the first try on my blind Quality Knight playthrough but he's killed me about five times on the new character so far.

Any particular rings I should be on the lookout for? And I'm guessing I want to Raw the dagger to start with, right?

Pyro seems to be more effective judging by the posts in this thread but sorcery looks so much cooler :(

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr Dog posted:

I guess a slow start is to be expected, but when does the build get good?

After you put 50+ in INT.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mr Dog posted:

I'm starting a second playthrough, and I'd like to go speedy sorceror with a dagger for backup. I guess a slow start is to be expected, but when does the build get good? Vordt went down on the first try on my blind Quality Knight playthrough but he's killed me about five times on the new character so far.

Any particular rings I should be on the lookout for? And I'm guessing I want to Raw the dagger to start with, right?

Pyro seems to be more effective judging by the posts in this thread but sorcery looks so much cooler :(

Like Orv says, your spells aren't going to be your main source of damage until you have over 50 Intelligence, most likely. You can definitely still use them, but consider them the backup, not your melee weapon. Get a weapon you like and make it Raw, then buff it with Magic Weapon or Great Magic Weapon when you need extra melee damage, and use your spells when you have an opening to do so.

At 50-60 Intelligence sorcery is very powerful--like, kill an NG+ boss in three Crystal Soul Spears powerful--but it takes a long while to get there.

There's also nothing stopping you from using some pyromancy once you meet the trainer and get some. It'll scale with your Intelligence, too, and provide you a nice variety of spells.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Sorcery gets good when you Git Gud.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah sorcery doesn't get good til like mid game.

My 2nd build is basically chucking fireballs. Also got lucky and got the Symbol of Avarice on that first mimic.

He can be a bit finicky following I had to run in and out three times so he could eat the Dragon's fire.

Crazygamer
Dec 29, 2008
Ok well good news: ng and ng+++ are not restricted and password is independent of level and weapon. Just connected with friend account who has a level 62 character. So a hypothetical extended level range for passwords is possible. Level 16 guy waited an hour for nothing. 62 sat for 20 seconds and got the hit.

Armor and weapons left appear visible to the lower level and can be collected. Rings as well, actually. Including NG++ exclusives. Covenant items, shards, boss souls, etc can be dropped but are not visible. Great champion souls can be, however.

I'm willing to believe the theory that passwords extend the restriction instead of outright remove it.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Also gotta get gud rings and gud gear, many of which are not accessible early.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Using the dried finger in the forest is so much loving fun. Legitimately had 3 on 3s going on, with Host/Phantom/Darkmoon Blade vs Red/Watchdog/Mound Maker.

This is legitimately on the level of Cat Covenant fun.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr Dog posted:

You can build int and still use pyromancy except the ones that have faith requirements, but even better just build pyromancy and then respec magic when you get far enough.

Or better yet play a swordsman up till halfway through the game and then 180 respec into magic.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

You can build int and still use pyromancy except the ones that have faith requirements, but even better just build pyromancy and then respec magic when you get far enough.

Or better yet play a swordsman up till halfway through the game and then 180 respec into magic.

This is the much less painful option.

Play a melee/dex build until you hit SL80+ then just rosaria your rear end to magedom.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
When's the first opportunity to get a Dark weapon? This Deep axe isn't going to be competative forever and I want my int/fth pyro to actually have something useful to hit folks with

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

where are the mother fuckin cats in this game

ds1 had big rolly cats

ds2 had a cool talking cat

ds3 is just all dogs
its loving dogtown!!

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

West Ham Sandwich posted:

Using the dried finger in the forest is so much loving fun. Legitimately had 3 on 3s going on, with Host/Phantom/Darkmoon Blade vs Red/Watchdog/Mound Maker.

This is legitimately on the level of Cat Covenant fun.

Crucifixion woods bonfire confirmed for best pvp area.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fereydun posted:

where are the mother fuckin cats in this game

ds1 had big rolly cats

ds2 had a cool talking cat

ds3 is just all dogs
its loving dogtown!!

Cats are smart man, especially ones with ambiguous, immortal motives. They got before poo poo went bad.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

Obligatum VII posted:

Yeah, I'm apparently blind. Found it, got the ending, thanks.

Before I potentially move on to NG+, there's a bit of mop-up: Are there 10 total bone ashes to be found? My estus is at +9, but I'm not sure where I might have missed one. The items I know I've missed are:
1. Behind a wall in Smoldering Lake that I presume I needed the ballista active to actually break, I found it after I had turned it off
2. The items in the lava in smoldering lake, I also forgot to grab the only on the ledge when climbing the ladder to the ballista
3. That tower I can see from Aldrich's area that I know links to the Ithryll church. I have NO idea how to get there.

If anyone could clarify what those items are so I can tell if it's worth it to go get them and how to reach that tower, I'd appreciate it!

Edit: Also, a list of NPC invaders, I know I missed a bunch of them and those jerks drop neat stuff.

Probably too late on the fast moving thread but #2 - that's the dragonrider bow or whatever...that thing is awesome...worth getting.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

When's the first opportunity to get a Dark weapon? This Deep axe isn't going to be competative forever and I want my int/fth pyro to actually have something useful to hit folks with

Not till really late in the game. Pretty sure you can get Chaos a good bit earlier than Dark, in the lake / ruins. (Chaos is also int/fth)

You only need giant's coal for chaos but you need profaned for dark, although its not really that much further in the game.
But Dark gems are pretty dang late in the game.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

Digital_Jesus posted:

This is the much less painful option.

Play a melee/dex build until you hit SL80+ then just rosaria your rear end to magedom.

Aww but that's not cool :(

Next you'll tell me to ignore fashion souls.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You need the Profaned Coal, so Irithyll Dungeon. I used Raw Astora Straight Sword until then.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Orv posted:

Cats are smart man, especially ones with ambiguous, immortal motives. They got before poo poo went bad.

Actually it is odd given that all the Dark Souls games so far have had talking cats who were sort of important--Alvina the biggest example--and Shalquoire seemed to have meta knowledge of the world's plight. Odd that all the cats have gone now in the apocalypse of Dark Souls 3

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
gently caress that stupid smug rear end cat. :colbert:

Watch there be a cat NPC for the DLC. :v:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Crazygamer posted:

Ok well good news: ng and ng+++ are not restricted and password is independent of level and weapon. Just connected with friend account who has a level 62 character. So a hypothetical extended level range for passwords is possible. Level 16 guy waited an hour for nothing. 62 sat for 20 seconds and got the hit.

Armor and weapons left appear visible to the lower level and can be collected. Rings as well, actually. Including NG++ exclusives. Covenant items, shards, boss souls, etc can be dropped but are not visible. Great champion souls can be, however.

I'm willing to believe the theory that passwords extend the restriction instead of outright remove it.

Just as another point of reference: I connected with a friend via password where I, as host, was level 17 and they were 82. Sign showed up immediately.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Zaphod42 posted:

You can sum it up even more succinctly by saying "Fire kills leeches".

There's a ton of leeches all over you when you get the bleed buildup; that's what is causing it.

Although I was kinda sad that pyromancy didn't seem to do the trick. Didn't test whether getting hit by it would work or not.

Everyone keeps calling these leeches. I always was under the impression that they are maggots. Which makes it infinitely worse. :gonk:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mr Dog posted:

Aww but that's not cool :(

Next you'll tell me to ignore fashion souls.

Just make a weapon Raw and buff it with (Great/Crystal) Magic Weapon when you get them, then use your spells when you have good openings to do so. Pump your Intelligence while you're at it--you won't need to bother with Str/Dex to scale your Raw weapon--and eventually you'll start getting good spells and doing good damage with them.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Of course there are crabs and giants and poo poo in a place I can't run :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Friend posted:

You need the Profaned Coal, so Irithyll Dungeon. I used Raw Astora Straight Sword until then.

Eh, I'm planning on basically doing 40/40 FTH/INT, and 35 STR for this build, so no dex. I wanna experiment with greatshields and pyromancy for this one, it's gonna be a weird set-up.